Skip to content

Elminster is the real monster

I can get behind the 29th-level mage not wanting to throw down against Irenicus or the Five, but not tossing a finger of death at Sarevok was downright negligent.

He wants to remain neutral, so he sits around until Sarevok has killed one of his friends. But he doesn't seem to mind trying to leave a trail of breadcrumbs that the PC can follow to save the day.

If the PC failed and Sarevok wound up killing thousands of Sword Coast citizens and/or becoming the new Lord of Murder, Elminster would deserve much of the blame. The dude was basically willing to sit back and let friends, allies, and innocents die horribly just so he could "remain neutral" (while not actually remaining neutral).

Comments

• TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Hide your tobacco pipes! It's the Elmonster!

I once made a post like this... hating on the old guy. But I realised that it would ruin the game if he ever got involved, because he can kill Sarevok just by thinking about it.

His timing is weird and he doesn't serve much purpose. It would be better if he only showed up at Sarevok's Coronation as a guest. He could then save Belt and Liia and be the one to teleport you to the maze... while he stays behind to protect the dukes.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    In before hat jokes!
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2014
    lunar said:

Hmm. I feel exactly opposite. Allow me to explain.

IIRC even gods were not allowed to interfere with the Bhaalspawn business. In ToB tests the mad god Cyric himself (who now holds Bhaal's portfolio) says so, and only has an opportunity to attack you to 'test' you. Otherwise he would like nothing more than to crush the dangerous usurpers to his throne like the pc, but he fears retribution from other gods. Elminster himself can not touch Sarevok directly for the same reason, I guess. It is Bhaalspawn business and powers want it to play it out by itself. Otherwise, I agree Elminster can crush Sarevok by himself easily enough. However I guess Mystra warned him not to interfere, so he actually does his best to help the pc indirectly, as best as he can. Judging from how many times he appears to give vauge advice I can say he was pretty worried and wanted the pc to succeed in thwarting Sarevok and his plans.

This. He cant interfere but also Sarevok might have killed him had he tried. The whole lvl 29 is impressive until you see that Sarevok actually can be heir to bhaal.

So he is a) not allowed b) certain he could not make a difference (prophecy)
    Also note the all think that the prophecy is true. Someone will be utterly unstoppable no matter what. This could be someone good or someone bad. Elminster and Gorion hopes its someone good but they know they cant stop the prophecy.

Gorion was right. His ward was the "heir". Elminster didnt believe like Gorion but hoped his friend was right
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

Also note the all think that the prophecy is true. Someone will be utterly unstoppable no matter what. This could be someone good or someone bad. Elminster and Gorion hopes its someone good but they know they cant stop the prophecy.

Gorion was right. His ward was the "heir". Elminster didnt believe like Gorion but hoped his friend was right

Gorion meddled into the Bhaalspawn affairs, protecting the pc and attacking Sarevok, knowing very well that they are both Bhaalspawns. And look how it ended for him. Interfering with the Bhaalspawn business is bad, BAD luck.
    lunar said:

Gorion meddled into the Bhaalspawn affairs, protecting the pc and attacking Sarevok, knowing very well that they are both Bhaalspawns. And look how it ended for him. Interfering with the Bhaalspawn business is bad, BAD luck.
    This.

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Lemernis said:

In the same way that Gandalf was sent by celestial beings to observe and guide, that's kind of how I see E. He has too much power to intervene--it would indeed unbalance the natural interplay of good and evil in that world if he did. Does anyone remember a little thing called the Godswar?

Well, that, and every time somebody got so much as a sniffle, there'd be expectations.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    bengoshi said:

so, judging by this thread @elminster‌ should request a name change into @elmonster

Looks like it's taken...
    Evilminster
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    bengoshi said:

Nimran said:

bengoshi said:

so, judging by this thread @elminster‌ should request a name change into @elmonster

Looks like it's taken...
    It's free, @elmonster user is not found. I bet it's been reserved by @elminster‌ 1156 years ago :)
    @elminster way to ninja before anyone else was even born.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Countdown to someone creating an elmonster account and having it banished for account duplicity starts in 5... 4... ;)
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    the only thing I dislike about Elminster is how his voice changes in Throne of Bhaal. The BG Elminster had one of the coolest voices in the series, and his replacement was... lacking.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @elminster‌

Since when was Shandalar good-aligned? Isn't he neutral? I thought I remembered him having a neutral archmagi robe.

Also, I feel like Elminster is so neutral because he just wants to watch the whole story play out. It can feel like a weird thing for a good guy to do, but it can be difficult to be so powerful and not be a little sick in the head. When you live for as long as Elminster does, you kind of need a source of amusement. Also, he knows that if Sarevok gets TOO out of hand, he can defeat Sarevok and save the day.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mechanically Shandalar is chaotic good. Apparently that is actually inconsistent with Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (there he is listed as Chaotic neutral, which sounds better to me). Since he is wearing the neutral mage robe I'm going to tag @Camdawg to inform him about this since it probably falls under the fixes for various creature alignments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Also a case of Harpers not doing anything. *rolls eyes*

Who could possibly so unhinged as to found an organization on the absurd premise not doing anything, in order to preserve 'the balance'. Harpers = Really Lazy CIA?

What the hell @elminster‌ !