Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @argent77‌ - This rocks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Holy crap, I'm dead and awaken in heaven. Now we're talking! @argent77‌ you rocks! This is a whole level of awesomness and will be INCREDIBELY helpful in all translation processes, both active and future. Super cool:) This was the only feature I liked more in DLTCEP (though it was not perfect too) than in NI. If it turns out to be similar to the one in old Infinity Explorer my mind will blow up:)
    JuliusBorisov
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    It's similar to Infinity Explorer's dialog tree. Actually, Infinity Eplorer has inspired me to create my own dialog tree implementation for NearInfinity.
    artificial_sunlight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Hubby was just using your newest update today @argent77 and loves it. Thank you again for all your hard work from both of us!
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    argent77 said:

Added a CHU resource viewer

Thanks for this. Changing fonts in the GUI has never been easier :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I may have found a bug. Looking at screenshot below once I double click "# spells memorizable" then I'm stuck there and unable to click out of it without closing the entire window down.

elminster
    This is one of the side effects of a bug that had been introduced in NI snapshot 20141003. I've already fixed it in the development branch.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Hi @argent77,

I've found a weird bug in the new dialogue tree view, at least in Tutu (I was unable to replicate in BG:EE). If some of the DLG files in the override folder have the extension in lower case instead of upper case (e.g. _PRISM.dlg instead of _PRISM.DLG) I'm unable to expand some of the nodes.
    elminsterargent77
    You are right. The bug seems to be triggered only for DLG files that are not present in any BIFF files. I've also noticed another bug in the latest snapshot which occurs rarely and at random. It stops expanding more nodes, but can be circumvented in most cases by collapsing and expanding that node repeatedly. I'll look into the two cases.
    elminster
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Geez, it's getting difficult to keep up with all your updates. Thanks though.
    CrevsDaakjackjack

Update: NearInfinity v1.35.0-snapshot-20141105

This is first and foremost a bugfix release:
    - Fixed a critical bug in the area extension of PRO resources which might produce garbled data when using the extended data fields introduced in IWDEE.
    - Fixed incorrectly defined resource field in effect opcode 147 (Learn spell).
    - Greatly improved HexEdit tabs.
    RavenslightErgJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I am not sure why, but the version I was using since I came back (20141101) seemed to act up in a way I don't remember previous versions doing from before my break. It would start out just fine but after a while of me browsing through various resources it would suddenly start to slow way down to the point where I have to close the program and start it up again. It seems to happen when I switch from one resource to another and it will suddenly take forever to load the resource and the tree's scroll bar will lag quite a lot. This behavior also seems to tax my computer's memory quite a bit as my computer starts to furiously work on loading whatever (I know this because the fans rev up and the temperature of the CPU and Motherboard start to rise). Not sure what exactly is going on here but I was wondering if you knew anything about this or if something could be done about it.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I experienced the same thing as @Tresset, but with the last snapshot (20141105). The massive slowdowns after switching resources to the point when the restart is needed.
    @Tresset‌ @Cahir‌ Can you reproduce this behavior or does it happen randomly? What are the specs (CPU, RAM, OS) of your system? Does the Debug Console show anything after switching resources (open with Ctrl+D or menu Tools->Debug Console)?
    I have a windows 7 64 bit OS, Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16 GHz, 8 GB RAM. It seems to happen randomly but I haven't been at it long enough to notice a pattern yet. I will see if I can make it happen again and do the Debug Console thing...
    @argent77‌ Got it to happen again and I saved the Debug Console for you to look at.
    edited November 2014
    @Tresset‌ Thanks for the log. It's indeed a memory issue. The problem is that Java starts application with very conservative memory settings by default which may be too low for a couple of NI's features (e.g. area viewer or TIS viewer). It's partly system dependent.

There is small tool "Hide NI DOS" which expands the default memory settings of the Java VM. You can find it somewhere near the end of this post. It should help in these cases. Btw, your system should be more than capable of running Near Infinity.

Edit:Alternatively you can start NI manually with enhanced memory settings (or create a desktop shortcut for it). The syntax looks like this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m -jar "NearInfinity.jar"
    Meanwhile I try to trigger the memory issue on my system.
    TressetCrevsDaak
    edited November 2014
    argent77 said:

@Tresset‌ Thanks for the log. It's indeed a memory issue. The problem is that Java starts application with very conservative memory settings by default which may be too low for a couple of NI's features (e.g. area viewer or TIS viewer). It's partly system dependent.

There is small tool "Hide NI DOS" which expands the default memory settings of the Java VM. You can find it somewhere near the end of this post. It should help in these cases. Btw, your system should be more than capable of running Near Infinity.

Edit:Alternatively you can start NI manually with enhanced memory settings (or create a desktop shortcut for it). The syntax looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m -jar "NearInfinity.jar"
    Meanwhile I try to trigger the memory issue on my system.
    @argent77 - I've created an app package version of NI for OSX, which uses the command line flags you give above (and @Troodon80‌'s new NI icon :-) ). It makes NI behave more like a normal OSX app, i.e. it uses the system menubar and its own Dock icon (instead of the default Java one).

With your permission, I'd be happy to post it up on dropbox for OSX users.

@AstroBryGuy‌ Thanks for your offer. I've got some questions though.

1. Do you need to create an app package every time a new NI snapshot is released? In this case it would be more convenient to provide a stable link to the latest package or to a list of available packages.

2. Does NI actually show the embedded icon (currently this) in the taskbar or somewhere else on OSX, or does it always use the stock Java icon?

And more about the memory issue itself. It only seems to occur on systems using the 32-bit version of the Java Runtime package. The 64-bit version is probably already using improved memory settings by default.
    1. Yes, generally. The jar file is inside the app package. It's not impossible to update the file inside the app package, but most users would probably prefer to just download an updated app.

2. No, it shows the standard Java coffee cup icon (circled below).

You're right about the memory issue, it doesn't affect modern versions of Java on OSX. It does affect Apple's last v1.6 JRE. I was seeing it because Oracle's JRE download for OSX only installs the JRE as a browser plugin. While it does take over launching double-clicked .jar files, it doesn't replace Apple's JRE if you invoke it from the command line (you need to install the JDK for that). I'll have to tweak the launcher script to look for the plugin first, then default to /usr/bin/java if it's not present.
    Starting with the most recent release (v1.35 snapshot 20141105), @AstroBryGuy‌ has kindly volunteered to provide Mac OS X specific app packages for Near Infinity. It provides a better integration into the system, such as a Dock icon or using the system menubar.

You can find the link in the first post of this topic.
    elminster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaak
    @AstroBryGuy‌ I summon thee!
    jackjack
    edited November 2014

Great stuff guys. Here's my beef bug report (I'm on OS X Mountain Lion, with BGEE, BG2EE, and IWDEE):

When I start AstroBryGuy's OS X version, it looks like the old one, not like a native OS X app. I have to go to "Options," "Look and Feel," and choose "Native." Then it looks great, but when I quit and restart the app, it goes back to the old look at feel. It's a minor cosmetic issue, but I thought you should know.

Worse though: with older versions of NI, I would make copies in different game folders, and each copy of the app would open into the game associated with the chitin.key in the same folder. With this one, they always open up into BGEE. I have to go to "Game," "Open Game," and navigate to the BG2EE or IWDEE resource folders, which is a *huge* PITA. And it doesn't remember the last game after I quit, it always opens up in BGEE. And it doesn't populate the "Recent Games" list, it gets wiped out every time I quit the app.

Regarding Near Infinity not "remembering" settings and recent games: Java should be storing values in the file $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist. It would appear that NearInfinity is having trouble reading that information on your system. Do you see that file in your library?

What version(s) of Java do you have installed? I'm running Yosemite and I have the latest 1.8 JRE from Oracle as well as Apple's last 1.6 JRE. I don't see this behavior with either JRE.

One idea - which user "owns" the NearInfinity.app package? Just do a Get Info on it and see what it says. Maybe its a permission issue for reading the java preference file. I can't reproduce the error by changing the owner on my system, but maybe there is something I'm missing here.

As for the not automatically opening the chitin.key file, since the Near Infinity jar file is now being launched from a folder inside the app package, it's no longer in the same place as the chitin.key. I'll have to add a "cd" command to the launcher to make the current directory in the folder that the NearInfinity.app package is in.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2014
    @subtledoctor‌ - In the com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist file you should find a section called infinity

In that section should be entries for LastGamePathX (where X is a number) and LookAndFeel. Do you have those?

Example:
    <key>LastGamePath1</key>
    <string>/Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/chitin.key</string>
    <key>LookAndFeel</key>
    <string>1</string>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.