Skip to content

Please Report BG:EE Game Text Errors Here

Comments

• outspacedoutspaced Member Posts: 6
    I didn't read all the posts in this thread, only the first couple of pages, but it seems that the original writers of BG consistently mis-spelled possess as posses; the same typo was reported in several different dialogues!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RasterOpsRasterOps Member Posts: 12
    So many contributions, I admit to not reading them all.

12728 : Jalantha Mystmyr: 1377 : ... "If you can get this book from me," ...
    from -> for
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Because I want to see a discussion about something ridiculous :D should kobolds go...
    *snarl* Yip yip yip yip! Yap! //original and current
    *snarl* Yip yip yip yip yap! //tilly recommends because she can >:3
    *snarl* Yip yip yip! Yap yap yap! //getting silly X3
    *snarl* Yip! Yip! Yip! Yip! Yap! //now we're getting pedantic aww c:

(Actually, I think they should all yell "Tilly is right: we stink!" or "We smell bad and we should feel bad!" :3)

So does that mean that Kobolds only are excited on the last two yips? (those are the only ones with exclamation marks)

:)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A_MullerA_Muller Member Posts: 12
    Haven't read the full thread, and I'm not sure if this goes here or not but I'm getting a metric ton of my enchanted items' backstory, description and stats overwritten by conversation lines.
    The first one I encountered was an item new in BG:EE, in the Beregost smithy you can buy a yellow quiver (The item looks like a quiver and it seems to be an ammo type item) and the only thing that was said about the item was "Givet it your worst, you old coot", this was both in the item name and the description.

I noticed this with several other items as well, some had several long conversation sentences, others just short snippets of speech.
    I recently noticed that my Shadow Armor says "We hold by our eraliest decision." in just the item description (The name still says "Shadow Armor 3+")

I've tried to search for it amongst fixed and known bugs, and thought that this might be the right place, if not then I'll post a bug report on it (VERY annoying since I now don't know what stats any new BG:EE Items have..)

• HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @A_Muller‌ Are you using any mods? If so, it is likely that uninstalling and re-installing them has altered your game text file, so now it doesn't match the text references in your savegame anymore. In this case you need to start a new game for the updated texts to be used correctly.
    The only additions that I have is the "Happy party.2da"-file and the 3 2da-files for the XP cap remover, nothing else.
    That shouldn't be an issue then. But just to check, could you start a new game, travel to the Thunderhammer Smithy in Beregost and see whether the description for the Shadow Armor is still incorrect?
    I'll try when I get home.

Also; this does not only apply to Shadow Armour and the Quiver of plenty (?) but many, many, many items in the game.

But I'll see if I can find a consistent test case.
    Just tried it (game still running).
    New game, selected the first pre-made character, went directly to beregost and purchased the armour, it has conversation lines instead of stats, as well as that quiver (same conversation lines as in my main save).

Do you want my saves to see if you guys can replicate this there?
    Yes, savegames can be helpful.
    Since this seems to be a persistent issue for you, I suggest you create a new topic in the Bugs or Troubleshooting section. You should also include information about the system you're playing on and how you can reproduce the problem when starting a New Game.
    String Ref #6532

"Yes, yes, boy, now be quiet a moment. Blast it. The bracers are no longer on him. It is as I feared. Likely they either spent what magic they had in a single charge, or it is their wont to be whisked away after inflicting the damage they do. I had hoped to seal them away, but now it's certain they will fall into the hands of some other unfortunate fool. Tell me, Melicamp, do you quite feel yourself again?"

Should it really say "it is their wont"? I'm assuming it was meant to be "it is their want"
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    @elminster‌

I believe wont is correct. Wont is a rather old word for habit or something that happens subconciously.
    Yea I guess you are right :)

Mirror Image description is old version from BG1

Affected string: @12142

This string contains an older, outdated description of the Mirror Image spell that was used in the original BG1. In BG2 the spell and its description were slightly altered (most notably the duration). These changes were carried over into the Enhanced Editions, except for string @12142 in BG:EE, which was not updated. In BG2:EE the same string contains the correct, updated description of Mirror Image. That text should be copied back to BG:EE.

The string is currently used as the description for the Mirror Image scroll (SCRL96.itm) and for the Dark Moon Monk's special Mirror Image ability (SPDM106.spl), although the latter can only be seen in-game if you remove the level cap so the monk reaches level 11.

The actual spell (SPWI212.spl) uses a new string that is already updated.

Berserker kit description should say "Alignment restricted to any non-lawful."

Affected string in BG:EE: 24284

A Berserker cannot be lawful good, lawful neutral, or lawful evil. However, this restriction is not mentioned anywhere in the kit description. Other kit descriptions always mention any alignment restrictions. Accordingly, the Berserker description should say "Alignment restricted to any non-lawful."

Kensai kit description should say "Alignment restricted to any non-chaotic."

Affected strings in BG:EE: 24286 and 25362

A Kensai cannot be chaotic good, chaotic neutral, or chaotic evil. However, this restriction is not mentioned anywhere in the kit description. Other kit descriptions always mention any alignment restrictions. Accordingly, the Kensai description should say "Alignment restricted to any non-chaotic."

Hold Undead description should not say "for 12 or more rounds"

Affected strings: 26440 and 30221

The two strings both contain the description of the Hold Undead spell, which is available to wizards (SPWI324.spl, SCRL6L.itm) and to the Priest of Lathander (SPCL742.spl). In the list of spell properties, the description says:

"Duration: 2 rounds/level"

This is correct. However, the first sentence of the spell description then says:

"for 12 or more rounds"

This is incorrect because the minimum duration is 10 rounds for the wizard spell and should be 2 rounds for the Priest of Lathander spell. Therefore the notion about "12 or more rounds" needs to be removed.

Avenger kit description should say the Avenger gains one additional use of Shapeshift per day at level 19

See my report for the issue in BG2:EE.

Affected strings in BG:EE: 24312 and 25377

In BG2:EE, Avengers eventually gain a second use per day of their Shapeshift abilities when they reach level 19, in addition to the first use they gain at level 7. This is not mentioned anywhere in the kit description. Although the additional gain is not implemented in BG:EE because of the level cap, it should be mentioned in the description so that players know about it when they start their run in BG:EE.

Paladin kit description should say that Detect Evil starts with 4 uses per day

Affected string in BG:EE: 9558

From the description of the Paladin: "May cast Detect Evil once per day per level (starts at 1st level with 3 uses)."
    This is incorrect because a Paladin can actually cast four Detect Evil spells per day at level 1. See the Paladin's ability tables (CLABPA01.2da, CLABPA02.2da, CLABPA03.2da, and CLABPA04.2da) - you can see that the Detect Evil spell SPCL212.spl is gained four times at first level.

Know Alignment description should say "Casting Time: 9", "time" should be capitalized

Affected strings: 12222 and 26155

All spells with a casting time of 9 (1 round) use the expression "Casting Time: 9" in their descriptions. This was standardized in the Enhanced Editions.
    However, the description of the Know Alignment spell (SPPR209.spl) still says "Casting time: 1 round". This should be "Casting Time: 9".

Also note that the word "time" should be capitalized like it is in all other spell descriptions.
  • mishamisha Member Posts: 3
    I think this fits here: The explanation window for the Druid shapeshift to wolf shows the Barkskin spell text. You get this by right clicking on the special ability icon.

Also, the black bear and brown bear appear to be identical shapeshift abilities. Maybe one is incorrect?
    Here is a screenshot. This is on mac version 1.2.0 (2029).
    1.jpg 491.6K
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    @misha‌

that has been fixed in 1.3
    edited January 2015
    Ah, thanks, Sertorius. Yes, I see that (I just updated). I didn't realize the game could be updated. I wonder if a note that one can check for updates on so and so a site is a good idea for a feature request.

I will report another, small grammatical error: On the tour of Durlag's Tower, Ike says, "he found himself KILLING the visage of those that he CARED most just to SAVE HIMSELF." And: "vowed that NONE would dare the same again!"

That should probably be "he found himself KILLING the visages of those for whom he CARED most just to SAVE HIMSELF." And: "vowed that NONE would dare to do the same again!"

I don't know the code where these show up.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    misha said:

Ah, thanks, Sertorius. Yes, I see that (I just updated). I didn't realize the game could be updated. I wonder if a note that one can check for updates on so and so a site is a good idea for a feature request.

Not completely sure, but if you use the stand-alone installer and then open BG through the launcher it does give you an extra button 'update' if that is available. However, I believe that if you use the Beamdog program it will update automatically whereas if you simply start baldur.exe in the game folder there is no warning.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

• thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2015
    Found something at the character select menu.

Also already made a thread for the Monk description showing up as a Sorcerer so don't mind that showing up in the screenshot.
  • melynxmelynx Member Posts: 2
    There seems to be some error with the description of the Wild Mage kit.
    Posted the details on a separate thread.
    Clean installation of Steam BG:EE