Skip to content

Now when the weapon transfer is available, what would your choice be?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
With the 1.3 patch (currently the beta) for BG2:EE Malaaq grants you imported weapons. This replaces the Sword of Chaos +2 that the genie previously possessed, which has been moved to the Cambion just southeast of the genie’s planar prison.

This poll is relevant only for imported characters. If you start with a new character, the genie will still give you a weapon appropriate for your character based on your class and weapon proficiencies.

So, what weapon do you think is the better choice generally (for a not solo run, with a party in BG2 consisting of different class/kit combinations)?

Note: I've combined a Staff Spear and a Staff Mace because there can be only 10 poll options and something had to be combined anyway, while these particular variants are more alike than other options:
  1. Now when the weapon transfer is available, what would your choice be?145 votes
    1. The Burning Earth +1
      18.62%
    2. Ashideena +2
      11.72%
    3. Bala’s Axe
      15.86%
    4. Suryris’s Blade +2
        2.07%
    5. The Grave Binder +2
        4.83%
    6. Staff Spear +2 / Staff Mace +2
        4.83%
    7. Sling +3
        8.28%
    8. Varscona +2
      31.72%
    9. Krotan’s Skullcrusher +2
        0.69%
    10. Kiel’s Morning Star
        1.38%
kcwiseAnduinCrevsDaak[Deleted User]

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    If it's not +4, I just don't care.

They'll all be replaced in time.
    kcwise
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    My canon needs his shiny sword... ^_^

As for the rest, I'll likely change depending on what Charname I'm playing at the time. My cleric/mage is already eyeing that sling +3.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseCaptRory
  • jameskenobijameskenobi Member Posts: 4
    I want Rashad's Talon! ;_; But I guess Varscona's pretty sweet and you couldnt get it BG2 before.
    kcwise
  • OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    short sword +3 (from undercellar if i'm not mistaken)
    kcwiseSouthpawmeagloth
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    I think that sword is pretty good for beginning of BG2.
    kcwise
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I like halberds.
    kcwiseElrandir
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    The sword most probably, yes.
    kcwise
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    At that stage in the game who wouldn't like a one-size-fits-all, +3 missile weapon?
    kcwise
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    an early Katana +2 is seriously missing.
    kcwiseBlackraven
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

an early Katana +2 is seriously missing.

There's only a katana + 1 in bg1 though so it would have to be that that carried over.
    kcwiseQuartz
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    It was between the Burning Earth and Bala's Axe. I went with the Burning Earth, because +4 (for what it can damage) trollkilling longsword.
    kcwise
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i have just grown too fond of this weapon. it is like my character's signature sword that he wants back. it'll be so hard to get rid of it evenutally, too.

too bad it'll likely make my next run easier though. SCS makes +1 weapons count as normal weapons just with +1 thaco, so my early game problem was in finding +2 weapons. having another +2 weapon I could get immediately would be a huge help. however, there is too much nostalgia in that weapon to refuse it. it won't take too long for it to not matter anymore in terms of difficulty anyway :)
    Nonnahswriterkcwise
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm slightly amazed that so many people want Varscona. I mean, it's good and all, but there are so very many other +2 longswords in BG2.
    elminsterkcwiseAbel
  • TRoarTRoar Member Posts: 50
    I voted for Varscona, but I really like Ashideena too.
    kcwise
  • Staff mace and staff spear are nice for Cleric/Thiefs.
    kcwiseBlackravenGodDJKajuru
  • NytramNytram Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2014
    Burning Earth for the dream of early efficient troll killing!

Does anyone know what happens to the item that is already in the game? For example Ashideena is usually at the unseeing eye place. Does the import copy replace that one or are there now 2 available?
    Blackravenkcwise
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I like daggers that hit like short swords. May not be the fanciest weapon ever, but in the hands of a swashbuckling halfling dual wielding it and that +3 shortsword from BG1, it's a very fun tool, both mechanically and aesthetically.
    JuliusBorisovSouthpaw
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    With a game full of undead (+4 if I remember) and trolls, Flame Tongue is my choice. Bala's Axe, although has a great power, needs you to be able to hit things and gives no bonus... My characters are usually not able to hit things at the best of times... Actually, they will probably set fire to themselves with Flame Tongue...

Better equip Varscona and they can keep it in there rucksack and the cold effect will keep the packed lunch refrigerated...
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    To those who are complaining about how Bala's Axe renders wizard slayers "obsolete," here's an idea. How about giving the axe to your wizard slayer for double spell failure?
    kcwiseBlackravenGoturallolien
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376

To those who are complaining about how Bala's Axe renders wizard slayers "obsolete," here's an idea. How about giving the axe to your wizard slayer for double spell failure?

Or give it to non-WS and be able to disable two mages at the same time!
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseGoturallolien