Skip to content

General questions. IWD for newbies and semiprofs

Comments

• ArafaryonArafaryon Member Posts: 4
    Hey there! I'm pretty new to the forum and even though I'd finished IWD I/II (IWD II even multiple times) some years ago, I'd never put enough thought into the mechanics of AD&D and how things work in general, which I deeply regret. My questions are probably one of those stupid ones, but I wanted to ask them anyways.

1. I've read the manual about mastering melee and magic, but I couldn't fight any more info about monks (I wanted to create a monk myself) apart of that they belong to priest class. What confuses me is how I should distribute points for them? What makes monk a good monk?

2. How do you know when to switch a class if you go for dual-class (normal playthrough). Is there any cap to reach when going for instance for thief/mage or thief/cleric or is it up to your liking? Is it considered a better choice to go for dual/multi classes?

3. Are there any good sites/articles/guides that would increase my knowledge of how to create a decent team, evaluate on the dual/multi class issue and make me a better player in general? Talking especially about BG I/II and IWDs. I've finished all of those (apart BG II, haven't tried that one yet), but I'd usually follow opinions like "you need 2-3 fighters, 1 healer, 1 mage, 1 thief" and start from there.

I'm sorry if my questions seem rather childish or ignorant to you, but I'll appreciate your answers anyways!
    Cluasjackjacklolien
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Welcome to forums @Arafaryon‌!

1) Well, monk is a melee character that fights with his fists. Therefore, they should have high physical stats - STR/DEX/CON. If that's what you ask about.

2) That depends on many factors. For example level 7 is good moment to dual from Fighter as at that level they gain an extra half attack per round. For thieves it's usually when you have all skills you want on levels you want them =]
    Dual v multi is also quite complex question... Personal preference, team composition, whether playing on Core or HoF, for one or more playthroughs... they all matter =D I know it doesn't help much, but there is no short answer to that question.

3) I will link you couple of threads talking about team setups for IWDEE, these contain discussion about merits and flaws of different characters:
    Post your party pictures here, with brief summary of the general idea - often RP parties
    What's in your Icewind Dale party?
    Best IWD party setup - don't let the title fool you, there is no one 'best' party
    [HoF Mode]Party setup...
    Favourite two member party?

With BG Saga it's bit different, because you create only one character, so it's best to pick what you enjoy playing.

And finally for IWD2, this guide should be what you look for - provides you with 2 different parties and also give tips how to make own.
    JuliusBorisovlolienstu-k
  • ArafaryonArafaryon Member Posts: 4
    @Shikao wow, that sure was a fast response! Thank you for explaining the monk issue (What I understood from the manual was if that is a priest class I should definitely focus on priest stats such as wisdom, hence my confusion and question). Is it possible or recommended to even equip any kind of weapon for monks? I mean something fast like a dagger or they're fine just bare handed?

About dual/multi class I was looking forward to the answer that you provided to be honest, meaning I should just try and explore it further to get the idea of how to develop the character, thanks!

Lastly, thank you for the links, definitely a helpful thing to check, definitely going to give it a go!
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    @Arafaryon‌ As far as I know you won't need to equip a weapon, monk fists will count as +3 at high levels and there are some nice gloves to boost your damage, they're a bit weak in bg1 but they really come into their own ing bg2 and quite literally kick the living dayllights out of your enemies.
    SjerrieJuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2015
    @Arafaryon‌ I'd suggest slings and single weapon style at the beginning. You're going to need your monk to be in the back of the group on occasion so slings will give them a ranged option, while single weapon style will allow them that little bit of extra AC that they lack in the beginning. It won't increase their armour while wielding the sling or their fists, but every other weapon they use will get the bonus.

Apart from that, what does your party lack? Longswords are great and there are plenty of them, but lots of characters wield those already. Katanas are uncommon and not the most powerful, but it fits the character style and isn't likely to be taken by another character. Daggers are plentiful (non-magical +1 daggers in the first town) and quite useful, but they're not the most powerful weapons. Scimitars are great if you don't have a druid, although I don't know the quality of them towards the end of the game. (at which point you should be using your fists anyway)

Any of the weapons are useful and viable, not to mention you'll be mostly using your fists/sling anyway, so what other weapons your monk uses isn't the most important thing to consider. Just choose something that won't get in the way of your other character's proficiencies (during the early game where magical weapons are few in number) and you'll be fine.

Edit: Rephrased a couple sentences to make more sense.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
    wubbleSjerrieJuliusBorisov
  • FarallonFarallon Member Posts: 6
    Hi there. I am currently playing Icewind Dale EE on ios. It's not a bad game, although I think that I enjoy Baldur's Gate better. Anyway, I just picked up the Summoner's Staff and have my Mage equipped with it. I can't, however, figure out how to summon anything with it, nor can I use it to fire flame arrows. Does anyone have a suggestion? Even without these abilities, it is a pretty good staff.
  • AzureknightAzureknight Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a question about importing/exporting characters. I just finished HoW campaing with my first group and I intend to start over with second different group. After finishing this... I would like to try HoF mode. And my question is: Can i import my characters from different games (final saves) and create my HoF party by combining characters from game 1 and game 2? Thanks
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @Azureknight Sure, just export the characters you want first, and import them like normal.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    What would people say are the four best one handed weapons in IWD? I want to have a single class solo fighter go through the whole game. He'll be wielding a shield AT ALL TIMES, so slings will be his only ranged weapon option. I guess Elf, Half-elf, Half-orc, or Gnome would be the best races. (based on race-specific equipment and natural ability bonuses) My guesses are Lsword (of action +4), Mace (Three White Doves), and Flails (Defender +4)? Since he'll be wielding a shield, I won't put any points into weapon styles, meaning he can get GM in two weapons and HM in one other. I might do GM in two weapons, M in another, and proficiency in a fourth.
    Are there good ones in IWD?
    Well cool. So axes, flails, longswords, and maces? Or am I missing something that would be better than one of those? Also, how long does it take to get a decent throwing axe? I'll probably just use a sling till I find my first magical returning axe, since throwing axes are super heavy. Negatives to THAC0 aren't that big a deal since I'll be a fighter.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovAnduinlolien
  • Manveru123Manveru123 Member Posts: 52
    When is Animate Dead going to summon something better than the weakest skeletons? My F/M/C has Cleric level 15 and he still summons crap...
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Cluas said:

Axes, if you ask me...

If I remember correct, the first throwing axe you can get, is in Dragons Eye. There you will also find a cool one-handed axe (+2 and some stun chance)

QFT - there's a +2 returning throwing axe in Dragon's Eye level 5 (or maybe level 4).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Manveru In IWDEE, not like in BG1&2, the Animate Dead spell doesn't scale with levels.

In IWDEE the caster can always animate 1d6 skeletons or zombies with the Animate Dead spell.

In BG1&2 the type of skeleton warrior that appears depends upon the level of the wizard casting the spell.
    - 1st-6th: a 3 HD skeleton warrior wielding a long sword.
    - 7th-10th: a 5 HD skeleton warrior wielding a long sword +1.
    - 11th-14th: a 7 HD skeleton warrior wielding a bastard sword +1.
    - 15th and up: a 9 HD skeleton warrior wielding a two-handed sword +1.

For more differences in spells, check http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36162/the-list-of-new-divine-spells-in-iwdee-if-compared-to-bgee-bg2ee-and-some-changes-to-other-spells#latest and http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36159/the-list-of-new-arcane-spells-in-iwdee-if-compared-to-bgee-bg2ee-and-some-changes-to-other-spells#latest, as well as IWDEE and BG1&2EE manuals
    lolien
  • reivisionreivision Member Posts: 21
    Quick questions about 2 specific Druid spells:

Level 3: Moonblade
    So the description in the manual says it does not gain any enchantment bonus to hit though it hits as a +4 weapon in terms of determining what creatures it can hit. It also says that melee bonuses from Strength do not apply. My question is whether proficiency bonuses apply or not (i.e. Scimitar). The description for other weapon conjurations like Star Metal Cudgel (level 4) explicitly state that proficiency/specialization benefits apply. I'm guessing proficiency benefits don't apply to Moonblade because it is a pretty nice weapon for a level 3 spell (1d12+4 damage, +1d12 against undead and causes spell failure for 1 round on a hit).

I'm playing a Kensai (9) > Druid and am probably going for GM Scimitars so was wondering if this was a good option to fight undead. I might go GM Clubs or even Quarterstaff or Spear instead, but I like having the option for
    an extra APR from Valiant, and I'm partial to the Lucky Scimitar for the midgame
    . Maybe I'm wrong. Advice on weapons overall for a Kensai/Druid would be nice.

Level 4: Blood Rage
    Has anyone had success with this spell? It seems rather situational but it could be reasonably powerful. +2 to hit, +3 damage, +2 Strength, +10 max HP, +2 movement speed for 2 turns. Plus immunity to charm, sleep, fear, hold, stun, confusion, emotion, symbols, etc. It's like a Druid's version of DUHM/Berserker Rage, and it can be cast on allies instead of just yourself. The downsides are pretty steep, though: berserk, 2 turns of Strength set to 3 after it wears off, current HP masked. I think it was suggested in the HoF Druid viability thread that you can cast a Impervious Sanctity of Mind (level 7) on yourself to avoid the berserk state. In any case, you'll want to ensure you can end the fight in 2 turns because you'll be useless with 3 Strength after it wears off. Unless you could, say, Shapeshift after, which would set your Strength to your animal form's Strength score, right?

I rolled a Half-Orc Druid under a race restriction removal mod (unfortunately Totemic Druid as I didn't realize the Blood Rage/Shapeshift option until just now). I was wondering about the viability of Blood Rage. Curiously, it seems better overall than its cousin Animal Rage at level 5.
    ElrandirSjerrieJuliusBorisovlolien
  • havlyahavlya Member Posts: 16
    Hi i wonder can you import save game form old to ee:editon?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @havlya No, because IWD characters are not compatible with IWDEE taking into account all of the EE's work with a codebase derived from ToB.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36212/enhanced-edition-is-it-compatible-with-save-games-from-the-original#latest
    lolien
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    If I were to download the new patch, would it be possible for me to manually restore the way that rare select sounds played in the pre-patch version of the game? I enjoy hearing those sounds in the course of normal gameplay (meaning, without having to repeatedly click on a character to get it to play), and I haven't downloaded the new patch solely because I don't want to lose that.
    lolien
  • tiguidoutiguidou Member Posts: 53
    I just bought IDEE. When I click on French version, nothing happens. Is there any reasons for this ?
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Just a quick question from me - what is the preferable time to start Heart of Winter? I know that it requires 9th level or equivalent thereof but right now my party is 4 chars: a paladin, a fighter/mage, a fighter and a cleric/mage. They are more or less 10th level each and I'm about to face a choice - go to the Severed Hand or try to start HoW. How tough is HoW? Is there a specific gear you'd recommend that I should have before going there? I play on the hardest 'normal' difficulty (ie. not Heart of Fury) and I'm wondering if 10th is enough ;)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I'm going to say... You should be okay.

The luremaster quest is hard however. Without revealing too much, there is a lot of tough enemies...

Actually if you are not doing a minimal reload run, you should be fine anyway.

But if you are... Delay for a while longer. You will need to reload.
    atcDaveLathlaerJuliusBorisovlolien
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Thank you, I decided to postpone the visit. Not because I think it'd be too difficult (I just finished Severed Hand and got some really useful items) but mostly because of Pale Justice ;) I decided to get the sword and then do HoW and Trials - that way it won't feel like a total endgame weapon. I hate endgame weapons ;)
    AnduinJuliusBorisov
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    Hello everyone! It is my first time playing through IWD and I am contemplating when to do the expansions (HoF and TotL). I just finished Severed Hand and my party's around levels 9-11. So, I suppose my question is:

Is there a way to go back and forth between Kuldahar and HoW? I believe I would like to start HoW now, do some of it, return to the main campaign, then go back to HoW and finish it (along with TotLM), then finish the main story.

Cheers!