Skip to content

[BG:EE]Dark Horizons Released

Comments

• IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @CoM_Solaufein I worked with Graoumf on the French update of the mod. I can confirm that the Italian language is complete too and will work with BGEE, ilot provided us the updated translation. The german language is complete for the setup.tra file but the dialogues for the new characters in the BGEE version are just copied from English. This won't prevent proper installation on BGEE though.

@swit Contrary to setup.tra, all other tra files in the polish language are identical in the BG and BGT version. That's the problem. Baldur's Gate in polish used a strange character encoding, different from the one used in BG II, which matches the local Windows encoding in Poland (CP1250). I believe that, at some point, the BG files were used by mistake on all versions of the mod because having to deal with different encoding for BG and BG II is very specific to the polish language.
    There is a program called kpzbg1.exe, included in BGT and mentioned in the polish readme of the mod, that seems to be able to convert from the BG encoding to the BG II (CP1250 encoding). I don't read polish and don't understand the instructions it gives but it seems to operate on dialog.tlk file. If you read polish, you may be able to figure out a way to get the translation files with the right encoding for BGT.

@CoM_Solaufein The tp2 file updated in the BGEE version makes use of the new WeiDU HANDLE_CHARSETS function. You can find a detailed description of this capability on the WeiDU forum. This ensures the characters are converted to UTF8 encoding when installed on BGEE.
    After conversion, I'm sure that English, French, German and Italian are right. However Russian doesn't look good (it's not displayed as cyrillic in a text editor). I believe you should disable Russian and Polish indeed for now in the BGEE version.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Isaya can we translators do something to assure that Polish characters display correctly on BGEE or this is something only @CoM_Soulaufein can do? If it's a matter of just converting the files to other encoding just let us know. I remember that EE used UTF-8 without encoding, but there were separate folders in mods with .tra files specificly encoded for EE. Do I remember correctly that new WeiDU has a function that makes the whole thing obsolete?
    Cahir said:

I remember that EE used UTF-8 without encoding, but there were separate folders in mods with .tra files specificly encoded for EE. Do I remember correctly that new WeiDU has a function that makes the whole thing obsolete?

@Cahir EE games indeed use UTF-8 encoded characters while the original games were using ASCII with code page encoded characters. The code page was different according to the language. However all these encodings are standard and tools such as iconv are available to convert from one to another. This conversion is the core of WeiDU new function, HANDLE_CHARSETS. Its principle is that the original games encoding is the base (this means the texts in old mods don't have to be changed) and the conversion is always done towards UTF-8. Hence old mods just have to be edited to take into account the HANDLE_CHARSETS function in order to make them compatible with EE games at text level (there may be other adjustments to make too, on several other aspects).
    The use of separate sets of file, one in code page encoding and one in UTF-8, was an intermediate solution that can still be applied nowadays. But it makes the mod bigger to download and converting and keeping track of two sets of files also means more work for the author, so I believe this method will not be used much in new mods.
    Cahir said:

@Isaya can we translators do something to assure that Polish characters display correctly on BGEE or this is something only @CoM_Soulaufein can do? If it's a matter of just converting the files to other encoding just let us know.

I think it depends on the mod and on the author wishes. If a mod is targetting both old and EE games, the only thing we (as translators) have to ensure is to write our translation files using the usual BG II encoding (CP1252 for western europe languages, CP1251 for russian, CP1250 for polish and some other eastern europe languages).
    If a mod is specific to EE games, the author might prefer using the UTF-8 encoding directly.

In the case at hand, for polish, the issue is that the files are not encoded with the BG II encoding (CP1250). This impacts both Tutu/BGT and BGEE games. Since most tra files are identical to those for the BG version, I believe they are using the specific encoding used in the polish version of Baldur's Gate. I couldn't find information about that encoding or a "rosetta stone" showing correspondance with the BG II encoding. Maybe you can find some information in the polish community. Without such information, it won't be possible to fix the tra files in an automated way.
    Either the files suited for BGT were written in the past and someone can recover them (either the original translator or @CoM_Solaufein, provided those files were sent to him, or someone else), or a conversion can be automated (provided the specific BG encoding can be identified), or a polish speaking person will have to edit all polish tra file to replace the wrong characters with the right equivalent in BG II encoding.
    Those are the alternatives I can think of. Someone in the polish community is likely to be a major contributor in any of these alternatives.
  • GraoumfGraoumf Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 312
    edited February 2015
    @Cahir:if you can provide me all the polish .tra files in the 3 versions updated (BG, BGT & BGEE), I will be able to update the mods.

The same for russian .tra files, @prowler. ;)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @isaya @cahir - BG1UB has a routine to convert polish characters between BG1 and BG2 engines.

You might find it useful

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/blob/master/bg1ub/tra/polish/BG1&BG2UniversalPolishFont.tpa
    Thank you @AstroBryGuy this is indeed very useful. I checked on this page about the polish alphabet but couldn't find a standard encoding matching the encoding used for BG1, so this conversion code is handy.
    However we may have a quicker solution for Dark Horizons: I downloaded the Tutu version of the mod and the polish texts differ from the BGT and BGEE archives. If I tell notepad++ to display the texts using the Windows-1250 encoding, I get some typical polish characters such as the "dashed L" ł or "Kim jesteście" in CMANDREA.tra. When I compare the tra files between BGT and Tutu archives, they all differ where a special character is used, except for setup.tra where the special characters are the same but there are a few description differences (and two additional texts at the end for BGT).
    @Cahir, may you have a look at the polish file in the Tutu version to confirm that they are OK? Thank you.

@AstroBryGuy I looked at the code in BG1 UB to understand how to use the tpa file, and I'm wondering if there is an issue in the initialisation in the tp2 file.
    OUTER_SPRINT "Z!Polish_Choosen" "tra/polish"
    initialises "Z!Polish_Choosen" to "tra/polish", and this variable is compared to %LANGUAGE% in the tpa file
    ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "%Z!Polish_Choosen%" = 0)
    However, the LANGUAGE statement for polish is:
    LANGUAGE ~Polish~ // Bartek ~polish~ ~bg1ub/tra/polish/setup.tra~ ~bg1ub/tra/polish/bg1ub.tra~
    From other mods that use the %LANGUAGE% variable to do things only for certain languages (such as BG2 Tweaks or BGT), I'm quite sure that %LANGUAGE% is set to the second text of the LANGUAGE statement, in this case "polish". In my understanding, the STRING_COMPARE_CASE will fail when polish is chosen and "Z!Polish_Choosen" should be set to "polish" instead for the test to succeed.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Isaya, yep I can confirm that files from Tutu (2.06) version shows correctly in Notepad++.

I spoke with Cuttooth (original translator of DH) and he will send me files with proper encoding with translation of BGEE specific files which are apparently missing. I'll send it all to Graoumf when I get it.

Thanks for your help guys :smile:
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Isaya said:

Thank you @AstroBryGuy this is indeed very useful. I checked on this page about the polish alphabet but couldn't find a standard encoding matching the encoding used for BG1, so this conversion code is handy.
    However we may have a quicker solution for Dark Horizons: I downloaded the Tutu version of the mod and the polish texts differ from the BGT and BGEE archives. If I tell notepad++ to display the texts using the Windows-1250 encoding, I get some typical polish characters such as the "dashed L" ł or "Kim jesteście" in CMANDREA.tra. When I compare the tra files between BGT and Tutu archives, they all differ where a special character is used, except for setup.tra where the special characters are the same but there are a few description differences (and two additional texts at the end for BGT).
    @Cahir, may you have a look at the polish file in the Tutu version to confirm that they are OK? Thank you.

@AstroBryGuy I looked at the code in BG1 UB to understand how to use the tpa file, and I'm wondering if there is an issue in the initialisation in the tp2 file.
    OUTER_SPRINT "Z!Polish_Choosen" "tra/polish"
    initialises "Z!Polish_Choosen" to "tra/polish", and this variable is compared to %LANGUAGE% in the tpa file
    ("%LANGUAGE%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "%Z!Polish_Choosen%" = 0)
    However, the LANGUAGE statement for polish is:
    LANGUAGE ~Polish~ // Bartek ~polish~ ~bg1ub/tra/polish/setup.tra~ ~bg1ub/tra/polish/bg1ub.tra~
    From other mods that use the %LANGUAGE% variable to do things only for certain languages (such as BG2 Tweaks or BGT), I'm quite sure that %LANGUAGE% is set to the second text of the LANGUAGE statement, in this case "polish". In my understanding, the STRING_COMPARE_CASE will fail when polish is chosen and "Z!Polish_Choosen" should be set to "polish" instead for the test to succeed.

Thanks for noticing that, @Isaya. The language variable had been of the form "tra/language", but I had to change it to use HANDLE_CHARSETS. I missed that reference to the old style. I'll make the change.
  • GraoumfGraoumf Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 312
    I call for the russian translation here: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/57942-help-wanted-update-of-the-russian-translation-for-dark-horizons/

@Cahir: files I attached could also help your translator if he wants to provide a complete translation.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited February 2015
    WooHoo I can finally use the gear in this mod without feeking like a horrible cheater, all I had to do was install SCS, then HoFemu and turn the difficulty up to insane. So SCS makes the game better in all ways as we all know, better AI makes for a better game. Now Hofemu gives all the enemy's a few bonuses " -11 AC, -5 THAC0, -5 saving throws, hp * 3 + 80 and a extra APR" and insane doubles enemy dmg.
    With all this installed and working, I have to say the gear still seems over powered, but just not as over powered as before
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited March 2015
    edit: nah, forget it. No point in bashing the mod publically. I will send my comment via PM.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited March 2015
    not sure why but CMSTQ04.ITM is somehow broken. I didn't test if it work in game, but any more complicated weidu readings from this file will result in error. It looks like offsets are somehow messed up.

edit: it may be related to this: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54662-nej2v694-no-idea-where-to-report-issues/#entry540299

if you leave it this way your mod will break many mods that works with all items globally via
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.ITM~ ~override~

edit: yep, the problem was with incorrect Ability Effect index numbering. Here is a package with 8 fixed items: https://www.sendspace.com/file/140ks6
    Post edited by swit on
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Is this mod any good, or is it still as unbalanced as it can get (adding items and enemies from the first 1/3 of BG2 )?
  • ArndasArndas Member Posts: 42
    I am very confused about what to do with the Duragon's Plate +4. It doesn't seem to be equippable by anyone.
  • HoarmurathHoarmurath Member Posts: 8
    I think there is a bug in the Gauntlets Of Skilled Thievery. When I equip them I get a negative modifier to Move Silently. I think it's a -40 but it is difficult to tell as the Dexterity adjustment changes.
  • sandrolsandrol Member Posts: 31
    Hi,
    The version that publish in the first page is the last version ?
    If not can please someone can share a link to where you can download the last version for the mod
    Best regards.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited January 2016
    Just to let you know that I love the mod. However, like others I must admit that some of the items are way too powerful. This is not a criticism of your work, but I do feel that when you convert an old mod so that it can be used with EE, then is the time to correct the problems which the original mod had (such as over powerful weapons in the case of this mod)
    Arndas said:

I am very confused about what to do with the Duragon's Plate +4. It doesn't seem to be equippable by anyone.

My Half-orc inquisitor could equip it. Perhaps it's been sorted since you posted.
  • fatnlazyfatnlazy Member Posts: 24
    After picking up Morwen, the game crashes whenever I try to go to AR3700, or Red Canyons I believe. The area just south of High Hedge. Was working fine up until that point. Even a saved game I done just to test the new install, crashes now, whereas it was working before. I've installed it on an older version of BGEE, and the latest patched version without SOD installed.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Does this work with BGEE + SOD?
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    How is the mod today? Still crashing? Mantained or completely abandoned?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Just to let you know that I love the mod. However, like others I must admit that some of the items are way too powerful. This is not a criticism of your work, but I do feel that when you convert an old mod so that it can be used with EE, then is the time to correct the problems which the original mod had (such as over powerful weapons in the case of this mod)

That's the reason I only played this mod once. After the encounter south of Beregost the game became way too easy because of the loot.
    Raduziel said:

That's the reason I only played this mod once. After the encounter south of Beregost the game became way too easy because of the loot.
    You don't have to use it. I wouldn't use the short sword that "holds" upon striking, and a few others. You do have to earn the loot which is quite good. It would be much better balanced if that sword held for a shorter time and had a lower chance of holding etc.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Raduziel said:

You don't have to use it. I wouldn't use the short sword that "holds" upon striking, and a few others. You do have to earn the loot which is quite good. It would be much better balanced if that sword held for a shorter time and had a lower chance of holding etc.
    Would Charname have any reason not to use it?

The way I see those weapons could either be nerfed or the battles to achieve them become much harder, so we could feel like we deserve to have it.

Other than that it is a great mod indeed.
    I think that the battles are hard enough. With one of the assassins having that sword and the other having darts of stunning, it is a tough battle if you don't metagame it. I personally think that nerfing the weapons is the better option.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    ~SETUP-DARKHORIZONS.TP2~ #2 #0 // "Dark Horizons" Mod (Benötigt Legenden der Schwertküste): BGT v212 BWP Fix

The meeting with Willi D Fain and WallyG Hrey in the storehouse with the basilisks lead to all the present persons turning hostile. (My assumption is that the cre files use a general SHOUT script that should be changed to a custom one). Plus, for some reason they both spwned two times.
  • BolkoBolko Member Posts: 15
    Sorry guys but the website baldursgatemods.com don work anymore, it says access denied...
  • BleriotBleriot Member Posts: 31
    Bolko said:

Sorry guys but the website baldursgatemods.com don work anymore, it says access denied...

There's people you can always count on http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/page-255#entry600815
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    Is this mod still actively supported? Have the issues with overpowered items and bugs been sorted? It does sound very interesting but I rarely have time to play the game so I would be disappointed to screw up my install :-)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Miridor said:

Is this mod still actively supported? Have the issues with overpowered items and bugs been sorted? It does sound very interesting but I rarely have time to play the game so I would be disappointed to screw up my install :-)

Areas are still glitched.

Items are still broken (both in terms of balance and usability).

Plot is still linear and mediocre.