Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity MEGATHREAD (caution: SPOILERS)

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Ok, I have a stronghold... what do I do with it? How much do I invest? I hear bandits will attack and stuff... how do I stop this?
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited April 2015

Ok, I have a stronghold... what do I do with it? How much do I invest? I hear bandits will attack and stuff... how do I stop this?

Invest as much as you want, it ends up paying for itself after a while. Build a barracks to deal with attacks, "it lets you hire mercs, which you have to pay every 5 days i think." or just be there when the attack happens, they should warn you before it happens, but I don't know if the warnings I got happened because of something I build.

Also the stronghold collects taxes, from all your peasants and such.
    The more Prestige you have the more cash you make "on taxes, random quests, bounties and such", the more Security you have the less bad random things will happen to you.

Prestige is the little crown and Security is the other one which I think is a shield or something
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    edited April 2015
    Alright, I finally got to the really challenging battle at Raedric's Hold. So far the fights were more or less straight forward with careful positioning, the usage of the per-encounter abilities and spells where needed. This fight however, forced me to think about all the stuff that's going on even more. My first attempt was just my usual tactic, do what worked so far and hope for the best. That didn't go very well.

After several failed attempts I made some changes, most importantly the slower speed. That way I could control the situation much better. I paid more attention to the spells that the enemy casters were using, positioning and timing of the abilities. The combat begun with my fighters getting surrounded by the heavy armored guards, but the main threats were at the back.

So, instead letting the enemies control the flow of the fight I forced them to split, as my fighters rushed towards the mage and the priest. Usage of different weapons and Aloth as the main source of damage worked well and I managed to win without anyone falling unconscious.

After the fight I noticed that the combat in PoE is really well done, I just had to get used to it. Now I enjoy that aspect of the game much more. Overall that location is great, after some scouting I noticed that there are different ways to leading to the goal. This game is awesome.
    Post edited by Tuth on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    mlnevese said:

@bengoshi I hope you had a dwarf in the party. You know... Tradition :)

Of course! Sagani is great!

Wait, bonuses from beer and ale can be stacked?! 0_0

They were shown as different icons next to characters' portraits.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Uuuurp. I need an ale!
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Has anybody felt Thaos isn't really evil?

He serves Woedica which is the deity of justice and law. He has many friendly banters with you in past lives. The only evil he is responsible for is stealing the souls of the hollow born and all the other deities have nefarious plans for the souls of the hollowborn anyway.

Thaos just doesn't compare to villains like Sarevok and Irenicus.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'm not sure there is much evil in PoE, everyone seems to be shades of grey.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    It does seem a bit more interesting than Forgotten Realms.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195

Careful boo the stronghold mechanics are bugged for many. patch 1.03 is supposed to be out soon, maybe tomorrow, you may want to wait to do anything with your stronghold until you patch and see if that solves any of the issues.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2015
    It seems that the upcoming patch will fix allmost all major bugs (patch notes): https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    wubble said:

true
    its more like The Witcher than BG where everyone is good or bad.

But... I'm not sure this has any impact in the game (PoE), playing an evil character doesnt matter it seems... you can kill everybody in all cities/maps but if you do that, you lose 99% of the quests whereas quests give 99% of XP. Too bad you can't play a tyrant
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    looking forward to the patch- My pc is not fast enough. Would be nice with some more tweaking options :
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Finally killed that Od Nua endboss. Took me like 2 hours. I don't think I ever want to face that thing on hard.. :neutral:
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2015
    Cluas said:

looking forward to the patch- My pc is not fast enough. Would be nice with some more tweaking options :

It does offer a low, medium and high setting that wasn't there before, which might help. Still no anti-aliasing switch, which is weird since I heard it was going to be implemented.
    Seldar said:

wubble said:

true
    its more like The Witcher than BG where everyone is good or bad.

But... I'm not sure this has any impact in the game (PoE), playing an evil character doesnt matter it seems... you can kill everybody in all cities/maps but if you do that, you lose 99% of the quests whereas quests give 99% of XP. Too bad you can't play a tyrant
    To be fair, there isn't much of one in BG1 either, it just makes things tougher on your party.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I think the lowest graphical setting turns off AA.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    jackjack said:

I think the lowest graphical setting turns off AA.

Ah, I see what they did then. I might try that, though I'm having no trouble on regular settings since I just treated myself to a modest i7 laptop for my birthday. No dedicated graphics but it seems to run anything on medium settings quite nicely.

• Gulthias_AmarsonGulthias_Amarson Member Posts: 28
    Wish someone would churn out a mod that lowered the damage/Accuracy bonus on disengagement attacks a little bit. I love the mechanic, but after dealing with teleporting rogues and shadows and all manner of "cheating computer" cheese, it's pretty frustrating.

Thus far it's been my single complaint about the game. Not that it exists, but that it feels...very overtuned.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

it feels...very overtuned.

^^ this.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    love this, especially the story. combat i still don't like as much as bg. currently battling through the last map (shadow drakes ugh) and after dying it just makes me want to quit.. i haven't done as many side quests as i'd liked, because i wanted the story to progress. really interesting with a lot of real-life dilemmas.
    i'd call it a cross between iwd and planescape. it feels a lot deeper and immersive than the bg series.

also durance is a dick.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I like the engagement system as a concept, but find the execution flawed. So I downloaded the IE Mod and switched it off.
    ... Aaaand I'm done. God I played this game entirely too much this weekend. Oh well, time to make a barb I think.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    What are peoples thoughts on the stronghold? Personally I was hoping for more. It just seems like a huge money dump. Its not even like BG2 even where someone comes to your keep asking to resolve an issue.

Auto-battle also seems pretty useless.
    Yeah the stronghold was a real letdown imo. I'd assumed their would be actual quests involved in running it or summing. The animancy controversy was another peeve of mine. It could have been an interesting thing to explore, but what you actually see from the animancers in the game would be make B-movie mad scientists blush. :neutral:
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    The stronghold isn't profitable. Caed Nua is just a sink for money because the taxation revenue you can collect isn't enough even with full prestige.

The bounties you can collect from the wardens lodge are worth it though. Some excellent unique items to collect.