Skip to content

Best overall weapon?

abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
Which of these weapons, in your opinion, is the best for overall situations? Not fighting a specific creature, just overall.
  1. Best overall weapon?98 votes
    1. Ir'revrykal
        2.04%
    2. Carsomyr
      27.55%
    3. Blackrazor
        4.08%
    4. Crom Faeyr
      11.22%
    5. Flail of Ages +5
      37.76%
    6. Runehammer (upgraded)
        1.02%
    7. Angurvadal (upgraded)
        2.04%
    8. Celestial Fury
      10.20%
    9. Hindo's Doom (upgraded)
        0.00%
    10. Black Blade of Disaster (spell)
        4.08%

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited April 2015
    It's FoA+5 for sure. Not only does it deal SICK damage, it also has the completely fair no-save slow and every element known to man, just to make SURE it hits every Stoneskinned spellcaster ever.

That's not to say other weapons aren't useful or powerful, but FoA is just on a whole different level.

EDIT: I suppose you could argue that the best OVERALL weapon is in fact FoA+3. This is of course due to the fact that you can get so ridiculously early, and use it for a large portion of the game. Even at +3 it is a VERY good weapon, and given how much time you spend with it, it's possible that it's THE best weapon if averaged over the entire two games (BG2+ToB).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Well, my *favorite* weapons is Foebane, but the Flail of Ages +5 has gotta be the strongest overall. The only caveat is the immunity to Improve Haste, but you can work around that by switching to another weapon, casting the spell, and switching back.
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    The game is over by the time you got FoA +5
    Nah, I would say Carsomyr or Celestial Fury for sure, these weapons stick with you from the start to the end.

PS: Clay golem rules are retarded, and you all know it :p
    If you are a craftsman, you would know a blade does a HELL of a lot more damage to a lump of clay than a staff.. >_<
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I have been wondering for years why Clay Golems are immune to slashing and piercing damage, while Stone Golems are not.
    Probably something about the idea that if you try to slash/pierce clay, it'll just goop back together; once stone breaks, you can't just stick the pieces back.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    But boy do I love Firetooth (the xbow).
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Once Korgan is able to dual-wield Crom Faeyr and the Axe of the Unyielding +5, he becomes a killing machine.
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    How do you edit polls? I forgot two weapons. ;-;
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    abazigal5 said:

And an "other" option!

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    abazigal5 said:

No editing polls I'm afraid.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    What are the two weapons we're forgetting? Belm? Staff of the Magi? Lilarcor?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Ravager? Staff of the Ram? Scarlet Ninja-to? Gesen Bow? K'logarath? Both Fireteeth?

What are the two weapons we're forgetting? Belm? Staff of the Magi? Lilarcor?

Actually, more than two: Axe of the Unyielding +5, Ravager +6, and Staff of the Magi.
    Actually Foebane is the most glaring omission imo, it's probably the best 1h after FoA+5.
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2015
    I voted Blackrazor, but the best weapon must be Foebane +5, because it gives pretty good healing while you re dealing damage and it also gives +1 saves. It has very good damage on top of that.

I voted Blackrazor, but the best weapon must be Foebane +5, because it gives pretty good healing while you re dealing damage and it also gives +1 saves.

Isn't Foebane bugged, though?

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    abazigal5 said:

Isn't Foebane bugged, though?

It was, but it seems to have been fixed now.

FoA +5 seems a popular choice, but I'm not a great fan because it prevents Haste (etc.) (Yes, you can cheese around that by switching weapons in and out while casting, but that's just abusing a bug.)

Carsomyr doesn't merely poke a couple of points of elemental damage through a Stoneskin, it'll dispel it outright. And it gives all that lovely MR too. Much better weapon than FoA +5.

Crom Faeyr is an interesting option ... in itself it's merely a very good weapon rather than "best" (except against particular enemies), but as an off-hand weapon its enhancement to any main-hand weapon is game-changing. I'm not sure how to count that towards an overall choice.

Carsomyr doesn't merely poke a couple of points of elemental damage through a Stoneskin, it'll dispel it outright. And it gives all that lovely MR too. Much better weapon than FoA +5.

While Carsomyr's effect is undoubtedly powerful, I would contend that since it's both limited to a particular class and limited in APR (as it's 2h, and without GM) it's overall less powerful than FoA+5. It also tends to deal less damage per hit to begin with.

Crom Faeyr is an interesting option ... in itself it's merely a very good weapon rather than "best" (except against particular enemies), but as an off-hand weapon its enhancement to any main-hand weapon is game-changing. I'm not sure how to count that towards an overall choice.

It's actually a decent MH weapon as well, people underestimate its damage (perhaps because its description was bugged for a long time and erroneously stated a lower-than-actual damage). That being said, it is a very tricky weapon to evaluate because it comes at the cost of other items, two of which confer STR bonuses that are lost on the party when combining them into CF. There are many setups where leaving it unassembled is actually an overall damage gain.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Voting for the highly underrated and highly badass Blazkrazor. I'm actually planning on having my next run use longswords, even though I'm a two-handed weapon fanatic, so I can use it as my main weapon at the end of BG2 and most of TOB.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I would like to mention that the Black Blade of Disaster is just awesome.

+5 weapon
    deals huge damage
    the victim has to make a save vs. death with a +4 modifier or be disintegrated
    a 10% chance of draining 4 levels from the victim and healing the caster for 20 hit points

Also, I appreciate the fact that this weapon is summoned.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I quite like angurvadal, by using it you can get your entire party with modified strength (angurvadal,4 belts and gauntlets of ogre power), carsomyr is still better though
    Many of the weapons listed are GREAT. Extremely good, in fact. But the question is about the BEST, and FoA takes the cake.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    50% MR > everything else.

Plus the FoA is extremely powerful because you can dual wield with it. But as a single weapon, I think it can't compare to the sacred sword.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @bengoshi And you can backstab with it ! I too love the BBoD, such a powerful spell, comes with its own Grandmastery which is amazing.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I'm re-interpreting my vote as 'flail of the ages' rather than specifically the +5 form, as the +5 comes way too late to be a 'best overall weapon', but +3 is available extremely early, is great throughout SoA, and upgrades nicely through ToB to stay relevant (regardless of hastings).

If the recasting violates some principle of the poll, I would instead pick Celestial Fury, the others are either available far too late, or have significant restrictions on their use/acquisition (Carsomyr) or both (Blackrazor).

I discount BBoD as a liability, as (I presume) the disintegrate effect can permanently lose loot, and apparently level-draining things to death costs you their xp too. If both of those assumptions are in error, it is more useful, but still restricted to mages and accessible as a spell quite late in the game.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    You can prevent the loss of loot due to disintegrate if you turn off Gore.
    edited April 2015
    The disintegrate is much less of a downside imo than it being a lvl 9 mage spell ¬_¬

Don't get me wrong it's a great weapon, but it's a little too restrictive to be called the BEST.
    Btw, I've never used Ir'revrykal, cause I've never made a Blackguard or used Dorn. How is it?