Skip to content

What alternative base classes would be coolest to see in a D&D Infinity Engine game?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
Which would you like to see and why? Consider both your desire to play them and how elegantly you believe their abilities/concepts can be implemented into both the Forgotten Realms game setting and the Infinity Engine.
  1. What alternative base classes would be coolest to see in a D&D Infinity Engine game?73 votes
    1. Favored Soul
      17.81%
    2. Warlock
      20.55%
    3. Psionicist/Ardent
      30.14%
    4. Shaman/Summoner
        1.37%
    5. Warlord/Marshall
        4.11%
    6. NWN-style Swashbuckler
        2.74%
    7. Alchemist
        2.74%
    8. Artificer/Magic Item Guy
        9.59%
    9. Something Else
      10.96%
JuliusBorisovjackjackkcwiseKrotos

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Grafter/Flesh Warper a' la disciple of The Nameless One.

- Ever felt that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Add an eyestalk or two on your head slot and you're ready for the catwalk!
    - Burning with envy for the Ankheg's fancy carapace? Now is your chance to wear their exoskeleton in your very own body slot!
    - Got some beef with your lack of tentacles? Your neighbourhood Otyugh office landy may just give you a spare pair if you ask her nicely enough!
    booinyoureyesjesterdesukcwiseKrotos
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You might want to put a description of them somewhere.
    JuliusBorisovkcwisebooinyoureyes
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited April 2015
    Favored Soul is interesting, but then again I just can't bring myself to like divine caster - or pure casters for that matter.

Psionics are pretty cool, so that's my vote.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseDungeonnoob
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Please could you give a brief description of each class as my knowledge of the Forgotten Realms is very limited (I'm afraid to say that at the time when those books were on the shelves I was reading Moorcock and basically passed them by).

My knee-jerk reaction was either Warlock or Warlord but I don't know enough about the Forgotten Realms definition of those classes to make an informed choice.
    kcwisebooinyoureyes
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I would really love to see a spellblade. Sure you can dual a kensai into a wizard and cast before entering combat, but there really isn't anything to fulfill that really awesome heavy combat caster class.
    kcwise
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    kcwise
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @subtledoctor A lot of the kits are not 3E. They were from Dragon Magazine articles and included (permanently) in 3E. I had 2E and the magazines with Monk, Cavalier, Barbarian and a few others way back when.
    kcwisejackjack
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    One thing better than a squirrel Bhaalspawn is a squirrel Bhaalspawn that is also a warlock.
    kcwiseAstafasbooinyoureyes
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I would say fix Bard to PnP bard, even call it a class or kit if you must.
    [Deleted User]kcwisejackjackbooinyoureyes
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Favored soul would be even cooler if you were allowed to dual into it from paladin!
    kcwise
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Most of the 3rd ed 'alternative base classes' were not really adding very much, and occasionally were atrociously short-sighted. Who the hell bothered gaining Swashbuckler levels after getting the Int bonus to damage?? thats 3rd level iirc, and there are then better choices.

I like the premise of making characters less strictly defined by their choice of class, ie in 3.0 you choose lots of feats and skills, and can precisely manage your skill choices if necessary, and 5th gives solid customization with less micro-management. I don't like systems with 50 different subclasses as much, most end up clumsy and devoid of joy.
    kcwise
    jackjackwubblekcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    A Warlock would be pretty cool.
    booinyoureyes[Deleted User]kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I just love psions :)
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    or favored soul
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror.

What? Is there anything else I'd need in a game? All Divine and Arcane necromancy spells, light armor, and proficient in any type of weapon <3
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovKurumi
  • icebladeiceblade Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2016
    I just put this link in here to the thread "Classes You Really Want in Baldur's Gate".

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/661117/#Comment_661117
    JuliusBorisov
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Warlock in 2e? I would love it to death, and I would imagine it a simple enough core concept that it could be implemented as a kit, and the majority of Eldritch Blasts as weapons or spells.

Bard Kit - Not perfect, but such is life.

Advantages - Warlocks may select a small number special spells, called invocations, as they increase in level, and may use them as often as they please.
    Starts out with the Eldritch Blast ability.
    Warlocks may be of any race.
    The Warlock's Bard Song is replaced by a fiendish aura, giving nearby enemies a -1 penalty to saves, attack rolls and damage for two rounds unless they can save versus spell at +2. At level 10 this improves to a -2 penalty.

Level 3: The Warlock gains 2% damage resistance to all physical damage. This improves to 5% at level 7, and increases by 5% every 4 levels thereafter.

Level 5: The Warlock gains a 10% resistance to Fire and Acid, improving by 10% every 5 levels after.

Level 8: The Warlock gains a special Innate Regeneration spell that restores 1 HP per round for two turns. For each level thereafter this ability restores 1 HP more per round up to a maximum of 5 HP per round at level 28.

Level 16: The Warlock gains the ability to Use Any Item.

Disadvantages - Warlocks may use, but not scribe, scrolls of any school. Pick pockets increases at 1/4 rate.
    Gains one fewer spell slots per day for each level.
    Warlocks may not be Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good, Neutral Good or True Neutral.
    Warlocks may not be proficient in two handed weapons or in any weapon neither a thief nor cleric could use.

Invocations - A Warlock gains new invocations at the same rate as they gain spell slots, though they may gain additional invocations automatically if they have other invocations already.

High Level Warlocks may select "Extra Invocation" as an HLA as soon as they hit 3e6 XP. This replaces UAI and allows them to select an additional invocation of any level.

All invocations would have the inherent ability to refresh one expended spell of their spell level, theoretically allowing their use indefinitely, and warlocks would have the reusable, not subject to spell failure, non-interruptible "refresh invocations" innate to refresh all invocation slots, allowing any stragglers to be restored as well as quick re-memorisation if they change spells.

Invocations:

Level 0

Eldritch Blast - All Warlocks receive this innate spell automagically at level 1. Eldritch Blast creates a returning throwing weapon in the Warlock's hand. The damage of the Eldritch Blast created deals 1D6 +1D6 magic damage every two character levels past level 2 (to a maximum of 10D6 at level 20). They set attacks to once per round, regardless of any bonuses, and strike as a +1 weapon.

The warlock is always considered proficienct with their eldritch blasts and gains a +4 bonus to hit. Eldritch Blasts have the inherent weapon ability to dismiss themselves, allowing the warlock to prepare a new Eldritch Blast, if they have one available.

Level 1

(BS) Hideous Blow - The warlock's primary weapon is replaced by a fist attack that deals 1D2 damage plus the same damage as their Eldritch Blast, including their strength bonus, if any. Hideous Blow also strikes as a +1 weapon and adds 1/2 an attack per round to the warlock's base.

Frightful Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except the blast created has the additional ability of causing any non-undead target to become doomed, giving them a -2 penalty to all saves, attack rolls and damage rolls for 1 turn unless they save vs. spell. If the Warlock has any (BS) invocations they also gain a Frightful variant of them at whichever level of invocation is higher (so, for example, a Frightful Blow would be an additional level 1 spell which the warlock could unmemorise one of their existing level 1 spells to instead memorise Frightful Blow). Frightful variants strike as a +2 weapon.

Leaps and Bounds - The Warlock's movement speed is increased by 4 for 24 hours or until dispelled. This spell does not stack with itself, but does work through Freedom of Movement.

Beguiling Influence - The Warlock gains 6 Charisma for 24 hours or until dispelled, just like the Friends spell.

Dark Ones Own Luck - The Warlock gains a +1 bonus to all saving throws. This increases by 1 every two levels, up to a maximum of +5 at level 10. (Ideally this would instead be a bonus keyed off the Warlock's high Charisma, but for simplicity I imagine level based is easier).

Entropic Warding - The warlock is enshrouded in a veil of entropy, effectively producing a Reflected Image on themselves for 24 hours or until the image is destroyed.

Call of the Styx - Charm Animal, at will.

Baleful Utterance - This spell shatters the lock of any container or door without sufficient magical protection, effectively serving as a "Knock" spell.

Beshadowed Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except the blast created has the additional ability of causing the target to become blinded for 1 round if they fail their saving throw against Death. If the Warlock has any (BS) invocations they also gain a Frightful variant of them at whichever level of invocation is higher (so, for example, a Beshadowed Blow would be an additional level 2 spell which the warlock could unmemorise one of their existing level 2 spells to prepare). Beshadowed variants strike as a +2 weapon.

Level 2

(BS) Eldritch Repeater - As Eldritch Blast, except the blast created sets attacks to two per round (once again this cannot be increased by haste or equipment).

Crawling Eye - Wizard's Eye, at will. (You'll just have to pretend your warlock plucks out their eyeball, attaches it to a skeletal hand and sends it off to explore, sorry.)

Cold Comfort - Resist Fire and Cold, at will.

Brimstone Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except Brimstone Blast deals fire damage, and targets struck must save vs. breath or take an additional 2D6 damage per round for two rounds. Any (BS) invocations gain a Brimstone variant. Brimstone variants strike as +3 weapons.

Hellrime Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except Hellrime blast deals fire damage, and targets struck must save vs. death or become slowed for 2 rounds. Any (BS) invocations gain a Hellrime variant. Hellrime variants strike as +3 weapons.

Summon Swarm - As Summon Insects, the Level 3 priest spell.

Charm - Charm Person, at will.

Bewitching Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except targets struck must make a save vs. spell or be confused for 1 round. Any (BS) invocations gain a Bewitching Variant. Bewitching variants strike as +3 weapons.

Level 3

(BS) Eldritch Glaive - Eldritch Glaive summons a blade of energy that the warlock may wield as though an expert warrior. The eldritch glaive grants no attack bonus, but gains +1/2 an attack per round for every five caster levels (up to a maximum of +2 at level 20), dealing Eldritch Blast damage on each hit.

Hellspawned Grace - The warlock may polymorph into a Greater Werewolf for 1 round per level.

Eldritch Ward - As the Ghost Armour spell, except provides a +1 save bonus and lasts for 24 hours or until dispelled. (probably a bit less extreme than the original, which stacked with armour, gave up to 9 AC, and +9 to saves).

Caustic Mire - A spell that casts a combination of Grease and Death Fog on an area that lasts for 6 rounds. Unlike Death Fog, caustic mire does not instantly slay summoned creatures, merely dealing 8 acid damage per round.

The Dead Walk - Animate Dead, only with a 1 Round/level duration.

Walk Unseen - Invisibility, at will.

Flee the Scene - Summons an illusionary clone where the caster is standing while the Warlock teleports to another location within visual range. The caster is still visible, and the clone is helpless beyond the ability to walk.

Level 4

Voracious Dispelling - Dispel Magic, at will. (This should be damaging whoever it dispels, but frankly a spammable Dispel is still pretty amazing).

(BS) Eldritch Chain - As Eldritch Blast, except the Eldritch Chain deals only 1 damage with a 100% chance of casting a "Chain" Blast on whatever it strikes, dealing the effects of the Blast type to all nearby enemies with a saving throw for half damage and to avoid any additional effect. This save is "Spell" for Eldritch blast or any blast that doesn't offer a saving throw, but changes based on Blast type. For example, a 10D6 Hellrime Chain is thrown to hit Target 1, they and anyone nearby take 1 damage must save vs. death to avoid becoming slowed, and take only take 5D6 if they make their save, while a Brimstone Chain requires a save vs. breath.

Painful Slumber - The target must save vs spell or take 1 damage per caster level and be rendered unconscious for 1 turn. Any further damage ends the unconsciousness effect.

Vitriolic Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except Vitriolic Blast deals acid damage and strikes as a +6 weapon. Anyone struck by Vitriolic Blasts takes an additional 2D4 acid damage for three rounds with no save. Any (BS) invocations gain a Vitriolic variant, and ignores magic resistance, if the blast is in the form of a spell.

Witchwood Step - Freedom of Movement, lasts 24 hours or until dispelled. (This is a concatenation of several separate freedom type spells which are more specific but have other perks that the IE can't replicate).

Nightmares Made Real - Horror, at will. Targets becomes panicked for 1 turn unless they save vs. death.

Level 5

Repelling Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except Repelling Blast also causes the struck target(s) to be hurled away from the caster unless they make a save vs. breath a la wing buffet. Repelling Blast strikes as a +3 weapon, and doesn't work against larger creatures. Any (BS) invocations gain a Repelling variant.

(BS) Eldritch Cone - A cone of cold area effect spell that deals Eldritch Blast damage to all targets in the area. Passing a save (as per Eldritch Chain, defined by the blast type), for basic halves the damage and negates any extra blast effects.

Noxious Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except non-undead targets struck must make a save vs. death or be rendered unconscious for 1 round (at least that's how stinking cloud deals with nausea). Any (BS) invocations gain a Noxious Variant. Noxious variants strike as +4 weapons.

Ignore the Pyre - As protection from the elements, granting 75% resistance for 24 hours, or until dispelled, to Fire, Acid, Cold and Electrical damage.

Wall of Perilous Flame - 20' Firestorm on target area, lasts 4 rounds dealing 2D8 +1 per caster level.

Level 6

(BS) Eldritch Beam - An eldritch blast that takes the form of a lightning bolt, bouncing off walls and such, with a save vs. breath for half damage.

Utterdark Blast - As Eldritch Blast, except any living target must save vs death or lose one level. Any (BS) invocations gain an Utterdark variant. Utterdark blasts strike as +4 weapons.

Word of Changing - Baleful polymorph, at will.

Devil's Sight - True Seeing, at will. Also grants infravision for the duration.

Shadow Walk - The Warlock becomes ethereal and regenerates 1 HP per round. Lasts 24 hours or until dispelled.

I'm sure extra invocations and epic invocations could be fashioned from some dark themed summons, damaging effects, the Death Spell and some defensive warding spells, but I figure that's adequate for a concept write up.

Level 1 invocations are gained at level 3, 5, 16 and 21.
    Level 2 invocations are gained at level 6, 8, 17 and 22.
    Level 3 invocations are gained at level 9, 11, 18 and 23.
    Level 4 invocations are gained at level 12, 14, 19 and 24.
    Level 5 invocations are gained at level 15, 18, 20 and 28.
    Level 6 invocations are gained at level 18, 20, 30, and 38.
    BlackravenVallmyrJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49
    edited January 2016
    I'd like to see a Shaman. Set it apart from the Druid kit and make it it's own. Shaman get access to the HLA "Elemental Summoning" much sooner. They don't have access to Cleric/Druid spells (save for their chosen element,) they're mostly melee/fighters. They can only specialize with one weapon and only proficient at others. They're able to choose an element to champion: Fire, Earth, Water, Air. Spells with the element of their choice deal 1.5x damage/healing, and have increased effects. Since there are no Water spells to really speak of Water would be the healing choice with Cleric+Druid spells, but they only have up to the 5th level due to increased healing. Shamans wouldn't be able to dual class. Granted this isn't exactly COOL, but rather practical.

Psionic seems too gamebreaking. Warlock could easily just turn into a Mage at high levels. Favored Soul doesn't really make sense. You're a Bhaalspawn there shouldn't be any Gods who favor you. Alchemist sounds like a lot of fun and has a lot of potential.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I want something with guns. Muskets. A pirate, gunner? I don't have extensive knowledge of PnP so I don't know which class is the closest to that.

Make those guns use sling bullets and we're all set.

Even slower attacks than the crossbow, but with explosive dicerolls and a small area of effect. Because I need to kill mythical creatures with a gun.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]booinyoureyes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think the reason the Warlock class came into existence was so that people could use magical abilities without limit. Other spellcasters get a few rounds of high-level spellcasting and then, when they run out of spells, they're weak. A Warlock could do magic stuff without having to worry about running out of stuff.

The 11d6 number would be a higher-level type of thing. And the Eldritch Blast is supposed to require an attack roll and can only be cast once per round, so in that sense it wouldn't be too much different from a fighter, damage-wise.
    semiticgoddess
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    I'm split between Artificer (D&D's answer to steampunk, sort of), Favoured Soul (Divine Sorcerer, was fun to play in DDO) and Psionicist (just for the sake of giving mind flayers the class for some extra difficulty, also it's a fun spin of a caster, sorta).

We need someone to mod Artificer in!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've always prefered single classes thematically, but tend to use alot of multiclasses for the utility. With that said, I've always wished for a F/M or F/M/T single class. This is the reason I play mostly bards, and expecially blades, but without cheating I can never really make the char I want, which is a slightly stronger fighter than the Blade but without actually being a bard. I've also played assassin/mage and swashie/mage, but I would prefer not to multiclass at all.

I really miss this kind of class. It could have rogue level, hit dice and THAC0 progression, gain a few extra THAC0 here and there (like a swashie) and cast spells like a bard, but I would like for it to reach 2 APR base so that I could actually play such a char without being forced to use Belm/Kundane/Scarlet. I would trade offensive spin for that in a heartbeat.

It could even be divided into two different kits, one which is more of a thief, meaning full access to all thief skills but at the cost of less magic (reduced spell slots or no access to certain spell schools), the other would be more of a mage with reduced thief skills or no access to a couple of them.

It doesn't matter that the F/M is better, I just want the ultimate utility guy while still being single classed. I don't know what such a class would be called though, being a little of everything.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I voted Psionicist, but really, I think the Artificer might be easier to implement. You would have "spell slots", as well as the ability to create wands, scrolls, and maybe potions per day or something. It could be interesting, although I figure everything except the spells and scrolls would become less useful at higher levels.