Skip to content

There's a hint that the next project for Beamdog will be NWN

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    There is already Neverwinter Nights online.

ANOTHER neverwinter will just confuse people.
    badbromance
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @deltago No, there isn't.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Technically there is but it was in the early 90s.

If you're being pedantic the current neverwinter mmo is just called neverwinter.
    FinneousPJ
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Dee said:

What about an "Alwayswinter Days"? That name isn't being used right now, is it?

I don't know... sounds a little too cold for me :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    deltago said:

There is already Neverwinter Nights online.

ANOTHER neverwinter will just confuse people.

Presumably you are referring to "Neverwinter"
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    bob_veng said:

if something radical would be added to the game such as more quests, more depth to the environment...a rework of the existing campaigns to make them less dull and linear, interesting characters; something interesting RP-wise such as good & evil & nonviolent paths etc. or maybe an ability to create a party from the beginning that you have full control over
    - then yeah, sure. might be worth it.
    but if it's going to be something superficial such as higher res textures and superficial added content then no pls.

There is stuff you could do quite straightforwardly to improve the OC, such as allowing control over companion gear and levelling, increasing companion number to 2 and adding banter. Most of these things have been done already with mods. However, it would probably easier to start from scratch than make the other changes you suggest. You could go with SoU (okay) - new linking module - HotU (good).

As for the graphics, high res textures would look dumb without also drastically increasing the polygon count, and then the lack of facial animation would land you slap bang in the middle of the uncanny valley, so you add that as well (a far from trivial undertaking).

So what have you got? A new campaign + new graphics = NWN3. And then you have an issue with the licence holder, who might not be happy about releasing a brand new game using 3rd edition rules. So you might have to use 5th edition rules as well.
    I just want the toolset and the community. I wouldn't care if there was no OC to begin with.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I think that the most recently announced Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/1229909) in some way can tell what an enhanced edition of 3D RPG should include:

- New quests, new characters, and new content
    - Entirely new gameplay modes and character builds
    - Massively reworked visuals and sound effects
    FinneousPJ
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

I just want the toolset and the community. I wouldn't care if there was no OC to begin with.

The toolset is still there. The community has moved on for good.
    Messi
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Dee said:

The Witcher actually already has an Enhanced Edition, released by CDProjekt Red.

@Dee

I know, that's why I mentioned that there would be no need for an EE version of that game.

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

hmmm
    I believe it will be awesome if they made "Neverwinter Ngiths 3" of a sort.
    take the best parts of nwn 1 and 2 and migrate all of the official campaigns and dlcs into this new build with all teh kinks and goodies.
    then have the toolset beefed up and of course fix someway the multiplayer to work with steam account or something...
    will be epic.

That would require so much work that it would make more sense just to create a brand new game. Plus the two games don't tie into each other at all, so it would make no sense to combine them.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Back in the late 80s - early 90s there was a Neverwinter Nights on AOL. it was based off of the Gold box SSI games engine and was one of the earliest MMO style games that i ever encountered.

I'm not sure that is what @deltago was referencing, but strictly speaking, there WAS a NWN-online at one time.

As a side note, I really REALLY don't want to see an always online MMO style Neverwinter. I'd much prefer something that could be played solo as well as with a small group. MMOs are just not my thing.
    Fiendish_WarriorBelgarathMTH
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I would love to play nwn on my phone...
    JuliusBorisov
  • Ignatius_J_ReillyIgnatius_J_Reilly Member Posts: 24
    I did not think much of the original Neverwinter Nights, and I feel that an Enhanced Edition simply would not work.

For one thing, the graphics would have to be updated; while the original appearance of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale still holds up today, the graphics of NWN have aged terribly. You'd have to rewrite the entire renderer and create all art assets from scratch*...no small task.

Secondly, the appeal of NWN was not in its campaign (which was dreadfully dull rubbish), but in the user-created content. An enhanced edition of NWN would likely be incompatible with the existing user-created content, which at once cuts out a large portion of the potential audience - why would anyone purchase a version of NWN where you cannot play your favourite modules?

*this would, presumably, involve giving Lady Aribeth less stupid-looking armour.
    Fardragon
    @Ignatius_J_Reilly - I agree with most of your points and think that it would potentially not be a good idea. However:

An updated graphics engine might very well revitalize the modding community such that, although the loads (and loads and LOADS) of content that was created would no longer work with the EE version, always assuming that the development tool wasn't made inaccessible, there could potentially be a whole renaissance of sorts and a whole new generation of mods. THAT might make it worth while.

But in addition to the graphics engine, all of the modded things such as UI, Camera, PRC Classes and Spells, not to mention the AI fixes and general engine improvements would ALSO have to be either re-done or the rights obtained and that might be untenable at best.

I'd personally love to see Hoards redone with a better graphics engine. But that's me.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Anduin said:

How would that be possible? Wouldn't your hands be all stiff from all the bandages wrapped around them? :)
    mlneveseproccoJuliusBorisovAnduin
    Technically, there'd be nothing stopping someone from recreating HotU (or any other NWN campaign) in NWN2 (whose graphics engine looks much better, if a bit dodgy when it comes to performance), although they might run into trademark issues with using HotU material. NWN2 also allows you to play as a drow, which might make for an interesting turn of events.

There are several modules that have been updated for NWN2 in this manner, such as A Hunt Through The Dark and Pool of Radiance Remastered. (Mercifully, A Dance With Rogues, supremely trashy rubbish that it is, has not been given this treatment)
    Oh, absolutely there is nothing saying that any of the original NWN1 content couldn't potentially be recreated in NWN2. I was just saying that "If they did NWN1: EE", I would look forward to 'Hoards' as part of the deal. And if it were given a graphical uplift, it "Might" spark more modding into the bargain.

But again, I 100% agree that it probably isn't the best use of resources. I could however see them looking into NWN2. Although a lot of 'Tweaking' has already been done for that as well within the modding community.

It's all speculation anyway so...
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    If they can fix the stuttering animation issue on modern computers then I'm all for it. (Not sure if that applies to NWN1 though). I'm still working my way through MotB again since the nostalgia bit me after getting into the EE's, but having to install a player world tool just to make the game playable is annoying (especially as it messes with other things).

Like others have stated in other posts here, I'd prefer PST:EE first.. but I haven't seen anything to give me hope on that front so far. Legal issues, who needs em!
    JuliusBorisov
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    elminster said:

Anduin said:

How would that be possible? Wouldn't your hands be all stiff from all the bandages wrapped around them? :)
    Wouldn't a mummy prefer to play on a (clay) tablet?
    JuliusBorisovAnduinelminster
    I'd love to see an update to NWN2 that A: has an optimised graphics engine, B: adds in the content Obsidian was forced to cut, and C: allows me to set Bishop on fire, D: allows me to explode Bishop, E: allows me to set Bishop on fire and THEN explode him, E: allows me to use the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity on Bishop, F: allows me to teleport Qara to the Plane of Angry Hornets...
    BelgarathMTH
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    A mummy doesn't need to use hands in order to use a phone. Especially a mummy graduated from the illithid university. The question is: did @Anduin get lessons from @Southpaw ?

Meanwhile, while answering the tweet about NWN, Trent Oster, although using an "if" sentence, didn't deny anything:

FinneousPJmlneveseNonnahswritercmk24
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I deny Anduin ever getting any kind of guidance or schooling from me, especially not in the field of telekinesis because his poor hands started falling off (he may or may not have used cheap thread for his seams)
    mlneveseJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Anduin said:

Although keeping the baby to place in lums machine was my kinda evil...

WHAT?
    You can put a baby in lum's machine?
    FinneousPJthe_spyder
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited May 2015
    Sadly, it's been confirmed that BeamDog can't do anything with NWN for a while.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2015
    @Sylvus_Moonbow Proof link, please?

That's almost one year ago.
    AedanJuliusBorisov