Skip to content

Favourite D&D Deity

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
Figured I'd make a thread on this. There is one from ages ago (http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/20838/favorite-faerunian-deity/p1) but its been long enough that I figured I should start a new thread.

So what is everyones favourite deity in D&D? It doesn't have to be a faerunian. Could be something from another campaign setting. Also it could be a dead power or a demipower.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Takhisis! She's just so scrappy :)
    elminsterGrammarsaladkillerrabbit
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Hm. . . I really like Kiaransalee, Velsharoon, Jergal, and Kellybro (Kelemvor). Gods of Death are the bestest! Kiaransalee and Velsharoon allow me to be CN which is my favorite Alignment but I like the lore stuff with Jergal and Kelemvor more.

Being a Lich Necromancer though Kelemvor probably wouldn't like my skellybros :( I'd still like to be friends with the guy though even if he doesn't like my undead friends.

elminsterkillerrabbitButtercheese
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Iyachtu Xvim has the coolest name.
    elminsterSmilingSwordGrammarsaladkillerrabbit
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Eilistraee, because uncool as it might be I like good-aligned drow. Also fond of Mask.
    SmilingSwordGrammarsaladkillerrabbit
  • CandramelekhCandramelekh Member Posts: 109
    Cyric and Myrkul! This two badasses cost each other
    elminsterSmilingSwordkillerrabbit
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    Auril
    elminsterKamigoroshikillerrabbitButtercheese
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    The All-Seeing Eye of Helm.
    elminsterkillerrabbitButtercheese
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

Auril

OH! I also like Auril! THE QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS!

Is the rest of the Fey court canon in 3.5?
    elminsterCahirSmilingSwordkillerrabbit
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I'm also partial to Ghaunadaur for his obvious lovecraftian influences.
    KamigoroshiSmilingSwordGrammarsaladelminster
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It may come as a surprise to many. But my favourite deity is Moander (†). Damn that thrice cursed sob Finder Wyvernspur for murdering this nice guy in cold blood! And also damn that Lolth to the summits of Celestial for deceiving his remaining followers!!

Though from the remaining powers my god of choice is without a question Ghaunadaur.
    killerrabbitelminster
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited July 2015
    Vhaeraun because he wanted so much more for the drow than Lolth ever did, but he's dead now so my next favorite would be Mask, but he's dead now too so I dunno.

I was also a fan of Eillistraee, even if her followers where mostly made up of a huge group of douche bags, but it matters not because she's dead too.

Erevan Ilesere is not a proper god anymore, so I'm really running out of choices here.

So i guess I'll go with Corellon Larethian, because there is hardly any chance some hack writing bad forgotten realms fanfiction is going to kill him off. Also he is chaotic good, which I always found an interesting thing for the greater god the elves to be.
    CandramelekhShinkillerrabbitelminster
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Any Old One! God, alien, same dif
    Kamigoroshikillerrabbitelminster
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Mystra. What makes FR's fantasy setting different from a medieval historical fiction setting is magic. So, to prefer fantasy to historical fiction is to prefer magic. Why can PCs stand next to molten lava? Magic. Why hasn't technology progressed in the last 2000 years or so? Magic. I mean why would you try to improve the plow when you can talk a druid into casting 'grow plant'?

Mystra embodies all that makes the setting stand apart and so she is best. Since Elminster raised the Mystra / Mystryl distinction my ordering would be:

Mystra 2 > Mystryl > Mystra 1
    elminsterGallowglassMoradin
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    elminster said:

Auril is an awful god to have to deal with. :)

Pretty much applies to all non-amorphous deities as far as I'm concerned. :P
    On a cool side, legend holds that Auril owns the largest ice cream factory in the Great Wheel!
    [Deleted User]elminsterSmilingSwordGrum
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SmilingSwordelminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Might be getter to go to Ulutiu's icecream shop. Its less likely to give you frostbite. Might take awhile to get your order though :)
    Kamigoroshi
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Kamigoroshielminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm playing Icewind Dale 2 at the moment. So that might have something to do with it :D
    [Deleted User]Grum
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Please don't pray for colder weather for europe, us poor British people need all the sun we can get.
    elminster