Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146

atcDave said:

its usually better to have a cleric cast healing magic on a warrior than have him waste an action drinking a potion. The warrior likely has a much better damage per action than the cleric does, and its not a good use of his/her time to waste an action drinking a potion. Obviously this can vary if the warrior needs immediate healing, or if the cleric has something clearly more important to do.
    But in melee I most often prefer to keep my damage dealers dealing damage, while my support characters provide support.

That is an unpopular opinion!

In a word, drinking a potion is instantaneous unless you're mis-timing it. Any alternative to a potion will cost just as much time, or more time--never less. There is no tradeoff between drinking a potion and making an attack roll. Your warriors can drink potions without worrying about their attack power.
    This was extremely useful information.

Although I would add there is that significant "unless" attached to it. So even if there are more situations when the potion is the better choice than I had assumed, there are still plenty of times when it is better to stick with the cleric.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Francois said:

That's an interesting idea and I think I will try that sometime. However the problem is that in this game you choose the class before the abilities. We don't choose our genetic, but we often train according to our abilities. From a role-playing perspective it would be interesting to imagine what made that guy become a F/T with so low Str, Dex and Con. He would have made a decent mage/cleric and was raised in a perfect place for that.

Choosing a certain kit can ensure that you will get certain minimum. Shadowdancer has a minimum DEX of 15, compared to 9 for F/T

Yeah I can see how it could pose a problem if you are having difficulty justifying a profession with contradictory stats. I guess it just boils down to how well you can lawyer your way through a reasoning.

For example, my f/t has average str/dex. It might seem low compared to 18/18 but its still by all means normal. So my guy is no Altiar, I can live with that. He's just a regular person. Candlekeep is indeed a good setting for a c/m. However, I can still argue the f/t route. You have plenty of martial influence from so many guards crowded around such a small fortress. Thief influence from growing up as a child with Imoen.

His Con is a bit on the low side, the bare minimum of what I would call average. This can be used as an excuse for why he didn't partake in rigorous arcane study. I can say personally, I've been more tired studying books at school than I ever have through any exercise. I would think that serious study in the arcane arts would take some will power and be quite taxing on the constitution. Plus, I know people with great minds that you could say is wasted, by not going into science. Some people use their brilliance solely towards the quest for fortune.

If you are serious about trying a run like this and can't justify your stats, you could always write your first roll down, pick a more appropriate class, then just adjust the next roll into what the first was. Or, just don't worry about it :smile:
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @atcDave: I normally don't use cleric healing spells because they take so long to cast. Heal is really powerful, but it's easy to interrupt. But on reading your post, I realized there's a good workaround for that. Teleport Field can royally mess up the enemy's attacking, and keep your cleric safe while he or she casts Heal. Likewise, if you really need the Heal spell to succeed, you can have a mage casts Invisibility on the priest right after the priest begins casting. The rest of the spell will proceed while the cleric is invisible and safe from disruption.
    FinaLfrontBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Yeah @semiticgod the Heal spell is awesome, especially if the cleric is protected or hidden. In big fights I'll often have the cleric start casting the Heal spell on a major warrior before he's even hurt.

Of course a lot of that is carry over from PnP, at least one DM I gamed with didn't even require the Cleric to identify their target until the spell went off. So at the start of a big fight the cleric would just start casting Heal on the assumption someone would need it by the time it went off!
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

The rest of the spell will proceed while the cleric is invisible and safe from disruption.

Unless you're a zombie!

Sorry, I just had this gutt feeling tellin g me to do this.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited August 2015

Yeah I can see how it could pose a problem if you are having difficulty justifying a profession with contradictory stats. I guess it just boils down to how well you can lawyer your way through a reasoning.

It's always possible to come up with a good story. In the case of your F/T, my reasonning would be that he was rebellious with Gorion and didn't want to study magic, despite having the abilities and opportunity. Maybe he was really fascinated with books about legendary warrior and rogues and decided to be one.

BTW I noticed that different races have very different minimum abilities for the same class. For instance, F/T elf has minimum CON of 6, but 10 for halflings, 12 for dwarf and 4 for Half-Orc. After my current game I want to start an evil character and I think I will create 2 or 3 totally random characters and pick one I like.
    FinaLfrontJuliusBorisov
    Sorcerer is the worst class in the game.
    Wild mage is vastly underpowered and isnt anywhere near as good a people pretend it to be!
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHBlackraven
    edited August 2015
    @Nonnahswriter
    I made the statement expecting someone to call me out, heck I hoped for it. I've made it painfully obvious that mage, 9/10 wild mage and Sorcerer are the only 2 classes I really play Lol.

But I'm stilling that one for next vs topic that I walk into with a completely inside match up.
    Nonnahswriter
    edited August 2015

Sorcerer is the worst class in the game.
    Wild mage is vastly underpowered and isnt anywhere near as good a people pretend it to be!

[spoiler=Disclaimer]I just wanted to make a funny meme. No hostilities here. :wink: [/spoiler]
    Pic deleted
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited August 2015
    Post deleted.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
    edited August 2015
    @semiticgod
    Really? I'll delete the pic than.

We really need a better picture posting system, I've been battling to get the uploaded version deleted using my phone.
    semiticgoddess
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We're all power gamers, you and FinaLfront and I!
    FinaLfrontGrumBlackraven
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Power gaming should only be done in tactical mods.
    For vanilla you should play ironman/lroumen style.
    NaveenBlackraven
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Reverse opinion: I always powergame stats, with the limit of no stat below 10 unless the character justifies it. Stats are just numbers.
    lroumen
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    @Grum You figured it out! Yes he is still a little munchkin, but he's back to Clark Kent when he hangs his cape up for the night ;)
    lroumen said:

Power gaming should only be done in tactical mods.

Still, even with SCS I play like this. I just like the AI not being dumb. But some things like unrealistic instant prebuffs I have turned off. I don't prebuff my party either unless it can be justified.
    JuliusBorisovlroumen
  • iamcelestialiamcelestial Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2015
    Minsc is terribly annoying, I have tried 4-5 times to put up with him and I have always ended up letting him go after 2-3 in-game days. I have no idea why does he get all this love from everyone!

There...I said it ...
    VallmyrArdulQuartzKamigoroshi
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I always like to bring Minsc along... until I get either Keldorn or Dorn.
    Dark allaince 1 and 2 are far better than BG1 and 2 combined.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wizard Slayers are better than Inquisitors
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovDragonspear
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited August 2015

I actually started a new game of Dark Alliance last night with the boyfriend. :)

They're not bad games at all; just extremely different than what you'd expect from a Baldur's Gate game. They're a hack-and-slash adventure done by the same people who did Champions of Norrath. I always thought they were a little boring to play by yourself, but with a friend, they're super fun!

Fun fact: the narrator for Dark Alliance is the same person who narrated Shadows of Amn. I actually recognized a lot of voice actors in Dark Alliance from the PC games...
    NimranJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited August 2015

I actually started a new game of Dark Alliance last night with the boyfriend. :)

They're not bad games at all; just extremely different than what you'd expect from a Baldur's Gate game. They're a hack-and-slash adventure done by the same people who did Champions of Norrath. I always thought they were a little boring to play by yourself, but with a friend, they're super fun!

Fun fact: the narrator for Dark Alliance is the same person who narrated Shadows of Amn. I actually recognized a lot of voice actors in Dark Alliance from the PC games...
    I just treated it the same way I treat the gauntlet series, don't play it alone. MY cousin and myself played it together I was the Elven mage and he was the Archer. We spent more time trying to get each other killed than anything else lmao

Now you're just trolling us.
    I would never!
    Post edited by DragonKing on
    NonnahswriterNimransemiticgoddess
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I remember playing both Gauntlet and Dark Alliance with my sister long ago. Recently, we started playing again, though nowadays my sister asks "Why are the women all scantily clad?" to which I respond with "Who cares, it's nostalgic." We both shrug and then keep playing.
    Nonnahswriterelminster
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    DJKajuru said:

Stop saying that Minsc wasn't meant to be a ranger and the devs should officially change his class to Bersenker. He's got tons of dialogues/banters/lines that justify his class!

So true. Most people only pay attention to the loud half of Minsc. His sword wielding, berzerking part is balanced by the wise and evasive part that he projects in boo. He didn't lose his mind; he just carries it along in a hamster. ''Minsc will lead with blade and boot!!! Boo will take care of the details.''

FinaLfrontLordRumfish
    DnD e5 is by far the best edition yet, only elitist purist are going to hate it.
    Nonnahswriter