Skip to content

General questions. IWD for newbies and semiprofs

Comments

• Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2015
    So far many things disappoint me in this game. Perhaps its' natural after playing NWN and Planescape Torment that IWD is not "up to quality" of those games. But let's just get to the problems:

1) WTH is wrong with wizard progression? I get NO SPELLS while i level up! I've got 3 spells when i created my character and now at level 6 i still have the same 3 spells! In Torment i had no such problem with Dakkon, but here in IWD have! Worse, when i try to "write" even the low level spells i always fail, despite my intelligence being 18.........

2) I get poisoned by some spiders and zombies - thought no big deal as i have the pink vial named "antidote" right?...
    Wrong! It does shit! Despite clearly written "cures all kind of poison" it does nothing.. Well now, then please show me what must i buy before entering the Dragon Eye dungeon so that i can protect myself from poisoning which is absolutely disastrous in this game.

Cluaslolien
    Well this game seems to be quite challenging in a good way then. After you obtain the heart-stone gem, what is to be done next? Seems i am stuck. The false druid vanished an i have nowhere to go. There is a sage that tells me to join him in quest, but he tells me that i am too weak. Seems like i've missed a massive chunk of XP somewhere? Huh? What level must you be to proceed?
    Cluaslolien
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Artas1984 did you try walking upstairs in the druids house? That could help move things along for you.
    wubbleJuliusBorisovlolienSkatan
    I am at the end. But through the entire game i have found not many useful items. The are plenty of powerful weapons, yet non of them do any constant fire, cold, electric or acid damage..

I have found "boots of speed", and those i do not understand most - sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. What's going on when for no reason they loose their ability and i get the message "unaffected by boots of speed". Later they work again..

I have found only one girdle of "freedom of movement" - is that all? No other artifacts in this game with "freedom"?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Elemental damage isn't really a big deal in IWD, it's better to do massive amounts of physical damage.

I've never had a problem with boots of speed. It sounds like some sort of item conflict, like magic resistance or something.

There are two rings of free action, but you have to pickpocket NPC's to get them, so my chaotic/neutral good party doesn't have any. One of them is on Orrick, the wizard in Kuldahar. I can't remember where the other one is.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Artas1984 said:

I am at the end. But through the entire game i have found not many useful items. The are plenty of powerful weapons, yet non of them do any constant fire, cold, electric or acid damage..

I have found "boots of speed", and those i do not understand most - sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. What's going on when for no reason they loose their ability and i get the message "unaffected by boots of speed". Later they work again..

I have found only one girdle of "freedom of movement" - is that all? No other artifacts in this game with "freedom"?

Are you using ring of free action with boots of speed? Or using the spell?
    Nimranwubblesemiticgoddess
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @kamuizin ... I'm thinking what your thinking...
    wubble
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    there are many rings of freedom (i think five, counting the expansion). some of them have to be pickpocketed
    BillyYankloliensemiticgoddess
    edited August 2015
    bob_veng said:

there are many rings of freedom (i think five, counting the expansion). some of them have to be pickpocketed

Aaand... I just got 2 of them in my last two fights.

Though, I am in HoW now. So I think I'm still correct about the main game only having two rings on neutral NPCs.
    Post edited by BillyYank on
    lolien
    BTW, Is there anything to do with Remorhaz shells? I've got 17 of the damn things in my BoH and I can't even find someone to give me a few gold for them.
    wubblelolien
    edited September 2015
    I have finally finished the expansion HOW. I liked it, but at the end i am very disappointed that i have gathered so many items and can not return to Lonelywood to sell them, let alone identify them. I have noticed that the GOG Complete edition has some add-on installed, which starts at Anauroch desert.

I want to export my party after i defeat the dragon - is there any way to export the party with all the items and XP after the dragon death and then play that add-on with that party?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Y
    BillyYank said:

BTW, Is there anything to do with Remorhaz shells? I've got 17 of the damn things in my BoH and I can't even find someone to give me a few gold for them.

You can take them to the smithy in kuldahar I think and get some armour from them.
    I don't think I can get back to Kuldahar. I started HoW as a separate game and imported my pre-Behlifet party. Oh well, I'll just drop them in a rain barrel or something.
    lolien
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    I beat game before with a party of 5. I want to solo IWDale 1 with a Blackguard class. I will use life steal ability to heal and poison for extra damage. The other abilities will help too. Is this class feasible for soloing on easy (the difficulty right above Story mode) ?
    Sjerrie
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    DKnight said:

Ia Blackguard class. Is this class feasible for soloing on easy (the difficulty right above Story mode) ?

I think yes. Go for it!
    lolien
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    ^it's going to be a breeze.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Easy, breezy, beautiful.
  • kristaokkristaok Member Posts: 51
    What's a kit? Thanks, I'm planning to buy these games iwd1&2.
    Sjerrie
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @kristaok it's a sub-class. For instance, one Fighter kit, the wizard slayer, is geared toward... slaying wizards. And other magic users. One of the Thief kits, assassin, gets even better at backstabbing than other thieves. The cleric kits are geared towards different patron deities.

You can play kits for role-playing reasons or powergaming reasons.
    kristaokJuliusBorisov
    JuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @kristaok One thing to note, however, is that the original IWD doesn't have kits, but the recently released Enhanced Edition does. IWD 2 does have kits, however.

Don't want you to buy the original and become perturbed about not having the things you thought you'd get.
    JuliusBorisov
    Thanks for letting me know that, I don't know why but getting the originals intrigue me more. :)
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    What are the stat requirements for getting past Seth in LDD? I try talking to him with my bard (INT 18 & CHA 15) but I only get the "Nope, IDK what you're talking about" and "Yeah, we go way back" dialogue options. I tried boosting with Friends & a potion of genius, but no such luck.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    13 INT & 13 CHA (or being a halfling) so that sounds odd.
    When I went through that part, he wasn't on the stairs at all. I didn't see him until the encounter with his boss.
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    BillyYank said:

When I went through that part, he wasn't on the stairs at all. I didn't see him until the encounter with his boss.

I know that if you go towards the north and are attacked by Thieves, he won't show up, but I have yet to encounter them. I can access the dialogue, just not the option(s) I should.