Skip to content

[v1.7] Pai'Na, a half-drow hivemaster druid NPC for BG2:EE

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited May 2020 in BGII:EE Mods

Introduction

This mod makes Pai’Na, the true neutral half-drow druid in the Graveyard tombs, a playable NPC with banters and interjections.

Race: Half-drow
Class: Hivemaster (Druid)
Alignment: True Neutral

Strength: 10
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 15

Mod includes:

– One new party member using the Hivemaster druid kit from The Artisan's Kitpack
    – An upgrade to the Kitthix figurine
    – Friendship talks with the PC in SoA and ToB
    – Banters with every joinable NPC
    – One encounter in Chapter 6
    – Crossmod content

Post edited by TheArtisan on
JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessshawneAedanGodKaiserHellKamigoroshiSmilingSwordmf2112SirBatinceCaszidyBeetleZaghoulMateoFrozenStefanOArctodusDJKajuruArdul_Luke_Blackravenilduderino

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @semiticgod , @Wowo and everyone else who's liked the spiders run by semiticgod, should be interested in this.

I like the stats and the abilities. I would take off the extra +1 spell slots flag from the ring, though. That will make her a lot less overpowered :) The swarm of spiders is already a good and strong feature.
     TheArtisansemiticgoddess
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    The reason I felt she needed that was because I despise the massive experience gap between levels 14 and 15 for druids. This at least keeps her effective a bit longer before she gets 3mil experience. I *might* just change it to an armor class or casting level boost in the future...
    JuliusBorisovSmilingSword
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yaaaaaaay
    JuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    What a lovely and interesting idea!

I like Pai'Na. When I play BG2, I always install Unfinished Business for BG2 mod because one of its component restores the cut content for Pai'Na, included comments from Jaheira and Viconia. Jaheira seems to be interested in this druid and wants to help her. I am curious to know how you developed their relationship. Would you mind to post some of her banters, like you did with Sirene? I am sure it would encourage people to try this mod :)

Anyway, congratulations!
    JuliusBorisov
    Thank you :) Again, this was basically a weekend project so it's quite light on content, though I'd love to expand it. Pai'Na isn't a typical druid. Don't expect her to preach about balance and nature all day, but she does take her duty very seriously. Jaheira dislikes that she puts spiders above other life forms in importance. Viconia is very spiteful towards her since I've always had this idea that drow and half-drow hate each other. She doesn't really get along with any NPC 'well' - she's better with spiders than people. I guess she shouldn't have 15 charisma but it's a druid requirement and I didn't feel like breaking that particular rule.

I'd rather not put banter screenshots this time since every party member only has one banter each so I'm worried that showing them here will spoil it for them when they play the mod. If I start making more banters, I'll certainly add previews.
    JuliusBorisovSmilingSword
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550

Again, this was basically a weekend project so it's quite light on content, though I'd love to expand it.

I see. Good to know. EXPAND IT!!! :smiley:

Pai'Na isn't a typical druid. Don't expect her to preach about balance and nature all day, but she does take her duty very seriously.

Yes, that makes sense and I like the idea.

Jaheira dislikes that she puts spiders above other life forms in importance.

Yes, but she seems to respect Pai'Na nonetheless, so I hope that you do not plan to develop a rivalry between the two of them.
    I mean... Surely they will not become bff, but I would enjoy some banters where they try to understand each other :)
    @Aedan Jaheira mostly thinks Pai'Na lacks proper tutelage and is a bit immature, which she is. Compared to someone as crazy as Faldorn, though, she's fairly tame and harmless. If I write more banters between the two they will definitely have some nicer things to say.
    JuliusBorisovAedanSmilingSword
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    One note, though.

Did you get a permission from the artist on using that portrait for Pai'Na in your mod. If not, this mod cannot be available till you get this permission or any other permission of an appropriate owner of another picture.

You can read the site's copyright rules here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/19418/a-quick-note-about-copyright#latest
    edited August 2015
    Ah. Funny story there- I found the portrait before the artist who made the original art. The edited portrait in the mod is not the same as the linked portrait, but unfortunately I haven't a clue who made the edit. I took it from the Rise of the Drow Pathfinder campaign, but I'll try and get permission from the author. I'll take the mod down for now.

Edit: poorly worded that. Either way I'll see what I can do about the portrait.
    ilduderino
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited August 2015
    The artist who made the portrait is Kerem Beyit http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/4261. Then he revised it and changed the face and the hands as stated here http://kerembeyit.deviantart.com/art/Feriel-94342211 Simply leave a comment in DeviantArt under the portrait asking for permission to use it, my guess is he'll agree and only ask to credit him since the portrait is not a commission and is available for public download (link at the right of the page). Only the print in big format is up for purchase.
    AedanWowoJuliusBorisov
    I replaced the portrait, since the artist of the original hasn't responded to my message. The mod is available again.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @Artemius_I
    Lovely portrait. Where did you find it? (the current one, not the original)
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    True neutral?
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Is the hivemaster kit available anywhere as a stand-alone? Sounds like fun for the PC.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    @Artemius_I Nice mod, If you want to have more feedback, fill http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/ I will gladly add you mod to BWS.
    Updated to version 0.6.
    Aedan
    I'm thinking of coming back to this mod soon... there will be extra banters, a friendship path and perhaps an encounter or two. We'll see.
    mf2112Cahir
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

I'm thinking of coming back to this mod soon... there will be extra banters, a friendship path and perhaps an encounter or two. We'll see.

Yes please, cause it's really interesting mod, indeed.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    This is great. I'd love to use this mod, expanded or not. IF it could be integrated with the spider's bane quest, great, but if not, it seems very interesting on its own. Perhaps the hivemaster could eventually learn to set traps (one particular type of immobilty trap only - you know, after studying spiders and their webs) like the bounty hunter, or poison her weapons like the blackguard and assassin? Just some ideas in character with the spider fetish.

This is great. I'd love to use this mod, expanded or not. IF it could be integrated with the spider's bane quest, great, but if not, it seems very interesting on its own. Perhaps the hivemaster could eventually learn to set traps (one particular type of immobilty trap only - you know, after studying spiders and their webs) like the bounty hunter, or poison her weapons like the blackguard and assassin? Just some ideas in character with the spider fetish.

The question is if I'm allowed to make it Spider's Bane-compatible or not... I wonder if I just add extra dialog to the end of the quest and not change the UB-original content if that'd be allowed.

Set Traps? Ehh... no. Too random. Poison Weapon would fit the theme, but I feel like the hivemaster is already plenty powerful since I purposefully made its shapeshifts stronger than the generic druid forms.
    @Artemius_I
    True neutral half-drow druid who despises drow but love spiders and live on surface?
    I do not envy you. Defend something like this will be very difficult. :D
    Zaghoul
    @Edvin Except vanilla Pai'Na was already true neutral, half-elf and lived (sort of) on the surface. I only added the hatred of drow and wrote the 'why' behind most of it. As the mod is right now, there's not a ton of development, but I aim to change that.
    ThacoBell
    edited July 2016
    Well, she MUST be true neutral, because she is Druid.
    And she CAN'T be elf/drow, because elf/drow does not support Druid class.

This character was always sort of broken, I think it was one of the reasons why she was not finished.
    Lack of game mechanics or too much unlikely background? Who knows...

But do not get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticize or discourage you.
    I only say that the choosing this character was very bold.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    Actually you're wrong as she never had to be neutral or half-elf. The fact that player has to respect the rules it doesn't mean devs respected them. If they did, Minsc would have different stats, as ranger could never have that low wisdom. If they decided Pai'Na to have that race, that alignment, there is/was something behind it. Why would they break rules for siginificant characters and suddenly respect their own rules with some minor creature?
    ThacoBellDaechir

If they did, Minsc would have different stats, as ranger could never have that low wisdom.

That was explained in BG1.
    Misc suffered head injuries.
    I already know what I'm going to do with the character, now it's just a matter of putting it into text. Suffice to say I actively chose to keep Pai'Na as a neutral half-elf druid. I toyed with the idea of making her both full-blooded drow and neutral evil, but dropped both ideas. I actually think it's easier to justify than the reverse. She 'sort of' justifies her hatred for drow with the current release of the mod, but it'll be clearer once more dialogue is written.
    ZaghoulThacoBell
  • HooAmEyeHooAmEye Member Posts: 21
    I love what I've seen so far, really looking forward to it. The Sirene mod was fantastic, so congrats there. Quick Question: Are there plans for romance for the mod?
    Hey there, @HooAmEye. So happy to see someone who enjoys my mods :)

No, there won't be any sort of romance. However, she does have a sequence of around a dozen talks with the PC in SoA.
    Caszidy