Skip to content

Why Minsc is so popular?

13»

Comments

• johnpaul88johnpaul88 Member Posts: 18
    His personality and voice and character obviously! I would never choose a character based on their abilities. For me it's all about their personality and the dynamic that character brings to my story and to the party.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    *In Baldur's Gate 1, he's the only non-evil companion who's really good at hitting things.
    *In Baldur's Gate 2, he's the only companion who doesn't make you go through any annoying sidequests.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

*In Baldur's Gate 1, he's the only non-evil companion who's really good at hitting things.

*Cough* Kivan *cough*
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited August 2015
    In the original BG1 he has the most epic side-quest. Travelling the wilderness all the way to the edge of the map, then going up the stairs of those forebodding ruins to rescue the Invoker in Distress. The stuff of legends, right Boo?!

Even when I don't keep him I usually do his quest. It provides some continuity with BG2, but it's also one of the rare excuses you have to actually go deep into the wilderness areas.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

They don't really make fantasy worlds like Baldur's Gate any more. Nowadays, it's all DARK AND EDGY AND SERIOUS BUSINESS FOR SERIOUS MATURE ADULTS rubbish.

Right because BG had none of this, right?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    laeknir said:

For me, it's definitely because of Minsc's loveable but wacky personality. And who doesn't love miniature giant space hamsters? :wink:

I think there's also an element of Minsc being a somewhat tragic character. He's brain damaged, yet powerful - if you keep him with you and guide him, he can be a hero. On his own, he loses those he's meant to protect and gets himself lost. You almost want to protect him, and in so doing, he truly can help you with your goals.

He also reminds me of people who can roleplay a low INT character well. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has a good heart and a willingness to endanger himself for others.

And a hamster for when the player needs a RP reason for coming up with a good plan.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    I find minsc annoying and borderline retarded. I've never taken him ever... But I also play Evil characters
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Minsc has an outstanding voice actor, the enthusiasm is infectious (same guy that voices Xzar I think). He's strong as an ox and send him into the gnoll lair with some decent gear and let him go postal, it's like watching a 12th level kensai operate! I'm talking 4th of July style chunk-age. Make sure you play "Raining Blood" by Slayer as you stand in awe at the bottom of the keep. Having said that he sucks at protecting people, except for Boo who is obviously the only thing on Faerun that he gives two coppers for. It's also fun to give him the +3 cursed sword.

Personally I have RPG-OCD. So I can not have anybody in my party that will appear in the sequels because I can't justify their stat, ability, and gear changes (and no I don't do mods ever and I know you will suggest that I do)! So after I get the original gang together I drop them off at the camp fire at the fair and pretend that Jaheira received special orders from the Harpers to focus on guiding Imoen instead. So they quest in the south while I live out my own saga with the likes of Skie, Branwen, and Xan.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @Lateralus: have you tried the NPC revision mod? It would take care of any consistency problems you have with canon NPS's.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Lateralus said:

Minsc has an outstanding voice actor, the enthusiasm is infectious (same guy that voices Xzar I think).

Just a note.

Minsk is voiced over by Jim Cummings. He also voiced Firkraag, Gorion, Tazok, Abazigal, Gromnir Il-Khan and Demogorgon.

Xzar is voiced over by Frank Welker. He also voiced Elminster.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Skatan said:

@Lateralus: have you tried the NPC revision mod? It would take care of any consistency problems you have with canon NPS's.

facepalm
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    He is literally the only memorable thing Baldur's Gate has to offer, really
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Lateralus said:

Skatan said:

facepalm
    I hope you realized the sarcasm/humour in that response. :smiley:
    @mickeyblueeyessj I'd argue Kivan is more versatile.

That said, Minsc is certainly the most versatile in Baldur's Gate II.
  • mickeyblueeyessjmickeyblueeyessj Member Posts: 12
    @Quartz The reason I prefer Minsc is because of Kivan's quest timer. If you pick Kivan up early, you have to deal with his quest timer or you have to delay picking him up.
    @mickeyblueeyessj I've honestly never ever had him bail; and I often pick him up very first thing, and I explore the wilderness a-plenty. But then I don't do the whole "use all my spells immediately -> rest immediately -> repeat" bit of cheese so that's probably why.
  • ZosimusZosimus Member Posts: 19
    Minsc is cool. He comes with lots of health, can use just about anything, and you get a nice two-handed sword from the genie at the beginning. Minsc can handle that baby well, and the healing benefits certainly don't hurt him.

Plus he's funny.

"Jump on my sword, evil! I won't be as gentle!!"
  • fischsemmelfischsemmel Member Posts: 40
    Somewhat on topic, who else loved Minsc and the voice acting back in the day when bg1 first came out and now continues to enjoy Jim Cummings voice not only in the enhanced editions but also when your kids watch Curious George?

The first time my son watches it a few years ago I about crapped myself when I first heard Chef Pisghetti talking.
  • fischsemmelfischsemmel Member Posts: 40
    bengoshi said:

Lateralus said:

Minsc has an outstanding voice actor, the enthusiasm is infectious (same guy that voices Xzar I think).

Just a note.

Minsk is voiced over by Jim Cummings. He also voiced Firkraag, Gorion, Tazok, Abazigal, Gromnir Il-Khan and Demogorgon.

Xzar is voiced over by Frank Welker. He also voiced Elminster.
    Heh. Frank Welker. Another commonality between Baldur's Gate and Curious George!
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    When I first played BG1 so many years ago...

I was a 15 Strength fighter/mage and was just thrilled with his exceptional strength and then in BG2 SoA, some of his lines were just too good! I remember wondering if I really heard him say his catch phrases. I'd have to wait until he said them again "Yeah, he really told the bad guys to jump on his sword!". So funnily awesome!

Minsc is just this good-hearted big crazy guy who is totally loyal to you. I miss him in my evil runs :neutral:
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    As is usual in the Baldur's Gate saga, what makes Minsc great for me is how well his dialogs are written. They could have easily gone too far with either his temper, lack of intellect or apparent insanity, but they didn't.
  • filcat88filcat88 Member Posts: 115

With almost no party chatter, BG1 can be a pretty quiet game. A character like Minsc helps break the silence with memorable voiced lines. :3 All of our favourites are like that.

Tactically, he's a good second fighter (approaching the enemy after your defender has approached) with a 2 handed weapon or a good defender with a shield. And with a 2 handed sword, he can easily switch to a bow. Something that Khalid with a shield can't quickly do.

Well, with the updates, anyone can switch from schield/sword style to bow style easily (with no need to pass from the inventory):-)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Calmar said:

Minsc comes across like a guy with whom you could be really good friends. He's loyal, cheerful and optimistic, relentless against the wicked and gentle to the weak - and he doesn't take life and himself too serious.

Indeed. He's the guy you can pal-around with at the tavern, telling stories and just enjoying a good brew, and he's also the guy you WANT by your side at the tavern when the cups and fists start flying.

• mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    I admit I haven't read all responses yet, so this might be already mentioned. Minsc is a ranger who also has barbaric rage as an innate ability. Taking into account that npc wizard AI in bg1 always goes for charms first, he is the right tank for most wizard fights.

Of course this leads to some funny moments occasionally. On my current playthrough I try to save a dryad from an ogre mage. Minsc goes berserk, kills mage, then dryad , then Jaheira and screams buttkicking for goodness.