Skip to content

Jaheira's Infidelity

I still cannot understand her choice to leave Khalid's body behind to rot in Irenicus's dungeon. I find her argument not to resurrect Khalid because his body has been desecrated unconvincing. OK, say she's right, but she can always get someone (like Misc) to take Khalid's body along so that we can properly bury him later or something. But no, after a few seconds of what seems like histrionic and pretend (at least to me) sorrowful prayer, she urged the party to leave quickly. Once we were out in town, there was hardly a mention to go back and get Khalid's body. No. All she did was to speak of the dead as though it was something that had happened to her in the distant past and her tone was one that was more nostalgic than depressed. The deciding factor was when she started acting like a single available woman two days after we escaped from Irenicus. Not that my main CHAR is complaining as right now he is juggling between romancing Aerie and Jaheira.

TL:DR: Jaheira doesn't give a shit about Khalid. Main CHAR is way much cooler. Khalid can never compete with a Bhaalspawn. Everyone wins when Khalid is dead :)

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I agree, I think it's weird behaviour and rather lazy and/or simplified writing to just get rid of Khalid and replace him with other characters instead. Never really liked Khalid though, so I don't really care about it happening, but her dialogue for this seem incoherent with her character in BG1.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited December 2015
    IIRC, "canonically", Jaheira actually has an affair with Abdel while Khalid is still alive...

Though maybe that's just A-dawg, who's nailed more tail than his daddy. Honestly, there is basically no one he didn't shag, including Bodhi.

I suppose you could always chalk the Jaheira thing up to gameplay concerns. There just isn't really time to let her go through proper mourning, and things like a burial for Khalid would detract too much from the unfolding story this early on.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    Also, Khalid body could be too damaged for ressurrection. This is probably the simplest explanation, if you really want to explain why someone can't be ressurrected (I personally prefere to explain why someone should be ressurrected, since ressurrection is much more rare than death).
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Mmmh my interpretation is that her love for Khalid was true at first but faded with time. Both are half-elf, and I do not believe they ever mentioned how long they have been married, so it may have been a long time as far as we know. And no banter in BG1 shows an exceptional proximity between them. If not for the fact they SAY they are married, their behaviour might as well look as that of close friends, but not husband and wife.
    So indeed it is quite a shock when she sees Khalid dead, but she has seen many of her friends dying, and my call is that Khalid was more than a friend but not so much more at that point. Besides, they certainly have other things to think about at this moment, and survival instinct takes over. And as was mentioned, it takes quite a few "love talks" before she stops speaking of Khalid.
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    I agree on the Jaheria romance having a creep factor.
    Vitor said:

Also, Khalid body could be too damaged for ressurrection. This is probably the simplest explanation, if you really want to explain why someone can't be ressurrected (I personally prefere to explain why someone should be ressurrected, since ressurrection is much more rare than death).

My thoughts on the Khalid resurrection issue: In my thinking Khalid was horribly tortured, he endured who know how long before he died. Please correct me if I am mistaken: 1. Is there not a boon granted by a Deity for Most resurrections ? 2. Doesn't the soul need to agree to be reunited with the body ?

....And Jaheria could use the Harpers call, but at great sacrifice of her self, she may need what she would give up to continue her duty of protecting the Main Character . Khalid died most likely thinking he was saving Jaheria, and possibly the Main Character from further torture or he died not giving wanted information about the Main character.

She may have wanted to honor his sacrifice and let his soul find peace instead of him having to live with the horrible memories of his last moments.
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    I wholeheartedly agree with most objections to Jaheira's romance. There is nothing about that relationship that is healthy. I don't blame the character. I love Jaheira and believe that she's simply been mishandled by writers. Not even the person who came up with the concept that Jaheira should be romanceable could ever convince me that it was a good idea.

In relation to the issue of going and retrieving Khalid's body, even if Irenicus had not buried his lair in rubble, I don't think either Charname or Jaheira would ever want to go back there. They would have a massive amount of psychological trauma associated with that place, which would make a return potentially extremely harmful.

As for the lack of overtly romantic banters between Jaheira and Khalid in BG1, I think it's a mistake to interpret that as the absence of a loving romantic relationship. It makes perfect sense that Jaheira and Khalid would not have a very publicly demonstrative relationship, given their personalities and backgrounds. Jaheira is a very serious person who doesn't show softer feelings easily. Khalid is highly anxious and is thus unlikely to be comfortable engaging in PDA. He was also in the military in Calimshan before he joined the Harpers, which means he would have been conditioned to keep personal things to himself. All that makes for a rather private marital relationship.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    Kaigen said:

I won't argue with you that her grieving period seems rather brief, though the first "love talks" in her romance do not necessarily involve her flirting with you.

I beg to differ. The following is from her third dialogue with the main char since their escape:
    ".... Irenicus seemed to have a special interest in you... I have an interest as well
    "As a Harper, I mean. I wouldn't want you to think...
    "Um... Let's just get moving."

Sounds to me like she's getting all shy-shy-girl in front of main char.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Kilivitz said:

It's implied in BG1 that Jaheira was Gorion's adventuring colleague, making her at least a few decades your senior. The age difference, though, while worth mentioning because it's taboo and all, is not the real problem.

Jaheira is technically very young, no more than 20-30 years or so, if I recall correctly. Something about the timeline and events of her Tethyrian backstory made her fit badly if you were to try and converge the two.

But then again, we all know how seriously BG takes the official timelines ;)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited December 2015
    johntyl said:

johntyl said:

Kaigen said:

I won't argue with you that her grieving period seems rather brief, though the first "love talks" in her romance do not necessarily involve her flirting with you.

I beg to differ. The following is from her third dialogue with the main char since their escape:
    ".... Irenicus seemed to have a special interest in you... I have an interest as well
    "As a Harper, I mean. I wouldn't want you to think...
    "Um... Let's just get moving."

Sounds to me like she's getting all shy-shy-girl in front of main char.
    I interpreted that as she genuinely had a special interest in you as a Harper, realized that out of context it sounded highly inappropriate, and because Jaheira's not the most charismatic individual the world, she tripped over her words trying to clarify herself, then bowed her head in shame and walked away.
    I went back to look at her dialogue again, and also the dialogue before and after, and I must say you are probably right.

I blame the maudlin soundtrack for having made me think otherwise :disappointed:
    Yes! That deceitful maudlin, screaming ROMANCE when the dialogue does not. Blame not yourself, my friend. It is a crafty beast. D:
  • BorderBorder Member Posts: 32
    While Jaheira is my davorite of the three romanceable characters, I tend to avoid her romance because of the Khalid event. That's always bugged me as well.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I tried to make a mod where you could resurrect Khalid but I could never get it to work. Truthfully, he was a pretty good party member in BG1/BGEE so the idea of just shrugging your shoulders and moving on seems...I don't know...disrespectful. On the other hand, Jaheira is a druid so she knows that death is simply part of the natural cycle of life, even the deaths of loved ones, so moving on for her is not impossible to believe.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

I tried to make a mod where you could resurrect Khalid but I could never get it to work. Truthfully, he was a pretty good party member in BG1/BGEE so the idea of just shrugging your shoulders and moving on seems...I don't know...disrespectful. On the other hand, Jaheira is a druid so she knows that death is simply part of the natural cycle of life, even the deaths of loved ones, so moving on for her is not impossible to believe.

There's already a mod for that - Turnabout. It lets you bring back Khalid for the final battle, with some interesting variables if Jaheira's in the party and whether or not you're romancing her. No idea if it's EE-compatible, though...
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

@Kilivitz: Jaheira is not being playful when she calls you "fearless leader." She is being sarcastic. Depending on how you respond, she has three replies:

1. "Don't snap at me, mister. I thought simply you might have a plan of sorts. Obviously, I was mistaken."
    2. "I would suggest you get moving and decide on a plan. And never again say something like "don't rightly know." You sound like you were dropped as a child."
    3. "It doesn't? I hope you'll come up with something better than that. I will not be put in a position where survival depends on the toss of a coin."

She is not flirting with you. She is pissed.

Fair enough. I still maintain everything else I've said, though.
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    As someone else once said, Baldur's Gate 2's original romances for the male characters are all part of it's "sexual healing" simulator. There isn't a single romance for a male character that doesn't involve your manly-man character making the female characters somehow "better" by the presence of your gender.

Viconia's, all things said, is probably the LEAST objectionable of these. That said, I didn't find Aerie's *too* bad, as it's mostly just about being a loving and supportive partner who doesn't push her too fast, and who doesn't let her leap ahead too urgently.

With that said, I've not been able to complete any of the new romances yet, other than maybe Hexxats? But then maybe not? I don't really know. Hexxat's a cagey beast.

Anyhow, I always figured that Jaheira wasn't really Gorion's adventuring companion, simply a good friend from the Harpers. She's only level 1 when you pick her up, so she can't be that experienced.
    This comment is just because I can't hit agree twice on the above post.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2015
    As good a rpg as bg2 is, if you start to really break down elements like plot/character development, motivations, etc in detail, it becomes pretty clear that it's a game first and foremost. No one would take writing of this caliber seriously if bg2's plot and characters were in an actual novel. Incidentally someone did get the idea that a novel based loosely on the bhaalspawn plot should be attempted; the result is a rather famously horrendous novel that was referenced above...

BG1 actually had less ridiculous writing overall imo
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited December 2015
    Kilivitz said:

"

It's implied in BG1 that Jaheira was Gorion's adventuring colleague, making her at least a few decades your senior. The age difference, though, while worth mentioning because it's taboo and all, is not the real problem.

The introductory dialogue at the Friendly Arm firmly establishes them sort of as your godparents. Khalid even refers to you as "child", even though your character has already come of age, which to me subtly emphasizes their roles not as your equals, but as mentor figures. For Jaheira to consider you a potential romantic partner completely betrays that dynamic. Plus, given her personality, it feels bizarrely out of character. At best, her attraction to you could be seen as some sort of temporary insanity caused by the process of grieving Khalid.

I never understood this mindset about society, a man that's a few decades older than a woman in a relationship is acceptable, but If you reverse that scenario it is suddenly taboo...

Also, it doesn't take a long time for a person to prove themselve as someone else's equal. One doesn't stay trapped in the role of mentor and student FOREVER.

I do think the mourning peroid is alittle short but I also agree with the above, its not like she instantly starts coming too you.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
    edited December 2015

I never understood this mindset about society, a man that's a few decades older than a woman in a relationship is acceptable, but If you reverse that scenario it is suddenly taboo...

One could write books and books analyzing that, but for the topic here, suffice to say that our civilization is rooted in some screwed up sexist values. Me, I don't think the age difference is a problem at all.