Skip to content

Ascension v1.5 BETA - Enhanced Edition Release UPDATED 6/8/2016 - SCS Fix located on Page 2!

JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
edited June 2016 in BGII:EE Mods
NOTE: Original release documentation can be found inside of the ascension folder of the release archive.

FORWARD & THANK YOU:
By JediMindTrix on 5/20/2016

Been way to long since I've updated this mod. That is all.
Back to work ;)

All of JediMindTrix's work is dedicated to Charles Hein, beloved cousin and best friend, and Michael Taylor, close friend.

ABOUT THIS BETA
I want to stress that this is a BETA, not a final release. Just because everything installs without an error does not mean everything is working as intended. This is where the community comes in: I do not have time for a lot of beta-testing (long workweeks!) myself, so I am counting on everyone to report everything they find from simple typo's or grammatical errors in dialogue to enormous Fallout-Sized termite infestations (hopefully I sprayed all of these!)

CHANGELOG/CREDITS
I felt it easiest to describe who did what and also display what's changed by using this method (changelog from previous version can be found inside of release archive).

6/8/2016 (Edvin/Aedan)
- Italian translation for Shawne's EE Epilogue's by Aedan
- Czech translation (Ascension rewritten, also Shawne's components translated) by Edvin

5/23/2016 (WhiteAgnus/JediMindTrix)
- Installer woes should now be fixed.
- Installer should also now properly apply the correct version of the description for Sarevok's Sword of Chaos to EE/BioGate (English and Italian ONLY).
- EDIT: Forgot to note that Restored Bhaalspawn Powers should now check to see if the version included in PPG's Unfinished Business is installed already (I believe they are functionally identical, even if written separately.)

5/20/2016 (All @Aedan)
- Italian translation updated!
- American translation typo and grammar fixes!
- Sarevok's sword description updated to EE standards. CURRENTLY EE version only, backwards compatibility to BioGate incoming.

4/8/2016 (All @WhiteAgnus)
- Killing Balthazar will no longer prevent you from being able to access the Throne of Bhaal.
- The final fight will now progress correctly after the Five are dead.
- Alternate portraits fix.

1/20/2016
- Yaga-Shura will no longer be immobile. At any point in the battle (it is a Tougher component, afterall).

1/15/2016
- Balthazar's Adherants (unique Monks) should now properly spawn when entering his monestary for the final time. -JediMindTrix

PACKAGE
- Fixed patching errors on spell abilities -JediMindTrix
- Reorganized several files, corrected typo's -WhiteAgnus, JediMindTrix
- Fixed Translation Encoding -WhiteAgnus
- Detectable Spells and HANDLE_CHARSETS moved into components that utilize them -WhiteAgnus
EDIT: This had the side effect of depreciating the initialization component, restoring BWP compatibility and the original install order. :)
- All epilogue's no longer install by overwriting -WhiteAgnus

ASCENSION - MAIN COMPONENT
- Fixed gamebreaking bug where bridges to the pools were not spawning in endgame. This was accomplished through a restructuring and rewriting of code. UNTESTED with BODHI. -JediMindTrix
- Pool fix implemented -WhiteAgnus
- melis02.spl updated to DS v3 -WhiteAgnus
- Fixed minor script errors -WhiteAgnus

TOUGHER DEMOGORGON
- Fixed Demogorgon's A.I. script, mismatched variables were causing him to stand still after timestop -JediMindTrix
- Changed Summon the Infernal Host to Summon the Abyssal Host to be lore accurate -JediMindTrix

RESTORED BHAALSPAWN POWERS
- Dark Taint converted to patching, big credit to Gwendolyne for generously allowing use of their code :) -JediMindTrix, mainly Gwendolyne

NEW COMPONENTS
-Shawne's Revised Epilogue's -shawne
-Shawne's Revised Epilogue's - EE NPC's -shawne
-Original Ascension Epilogue's -WhiteAgnus
-ANYONE EA.IDS hotfix for mod compatibility -WhiteAgnus

BETA-TESTER REQUESTS
- Dark Taint's bonus damage needs to be tested to see if it applies to enemies properly.
- Evil Bhaalspawn DR requires testing, especially to see if it properly stacks with barbarian and hardiness resistances.
- The final Ascension battle requires thorough testing. The Bridge Bug fix is untested with Bodhi fighting by the Bhaalspawn's side.
- Ascension NPC epilogue's require testing.

Feel free to post bugs to this thread, or by private message!

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD?
1) Custom BAMs for Unique Bhaalspawn Powers
2) Original Ascension .bcs script fixes
3) Improved mod compatibility
4) Custom "Pools" conversation for Bodhi in the Final Battle
5) An alternate, revised Tougher Demogorgon Battle is on my drawing board
6) Fully assured compatibility with "Biogate"

DOWNLOAD
Direct Download Link, 7z Archival Format

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/698724/#Comment_698724

Have fun everyone!

Cheers,

-JediMindTrix
Post edited by JediMindTrix on
CaeriaPeccaWhiteAgnusMusignyswitShinAstroBryGuyCahirCrevsDaakelminsterAedanALIENbrusbatoorBillyYankNoobaccaGossysnshawneJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]wubbleMBerlifupaulineYamchaBlackravenVyrulisseGoturalBanArdrorikonNonnahswriterMetallomanAbeljackjackGenderNihilismGirdleEdvinArtonaDyaracomebackhomeKampfKaninchenmetaentityEtaminSageSpaceInvaderFredjoSmilingSwordanastiel

Comments

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @JediMindTrix
    One of the pre-weidu Ascension set.
    Here you go : http://baldurdash.org/ToB/TOBtweaksandcheats.html
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    Congratulations, JediMindTrix. I've been looking forward to this!
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Brilliant news, brilliant time. @JediMindTrix amazing effort.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited December 2015
    @JediMindTrix great news and great job. I'm corious though, have you contacted @Cuv regarding this version? Did he provide some help and insight? I remember he was working on Ascension-EE, but his work on EE's hampered the progress, but AFAIK he planned to finish it after SoD release (with additional EE NPC's related content).
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    @Cahir awhile back I recall Cuv saying that if anyone wanted to work on making it EE compatible they were free to.
    Also I think @Shawne might be interested in this thread.
    shawneJuliusBorisov
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @elminster yeah, I'm aware of Cuv's statement. I only wanted to know if @JediMindTrix got some feedback or guidance:) I especially would like to know if some new EE-related content is planned for this build.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    @JediMindTrix Holly cow! Thank you!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    @JediMindTrix thanks very much for all your work on this. A request: can the components zero and one be combined together as component zero or swapped (so zero becomes the main component)?

The BWS mod installer has several rules for the original Ascension components and it would be simpler to maintain BWS for both EE and original BG2 if we could use the same component numbers for this new version of the mod. New components like the Revised Bhaalspawn Powers are not a problem, but changing numbers that were in the old version to mean something different in a new version creates an exception case.

Thanks for your consideration!
    JuliusBorisov
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    edited December 2015
    @Cahir
    Guidance, no, save for the suggestion to get a release ready for Christmas. He helped tremendously by sharing the build he possessed with me... and is about as responsible for this release as I am, as it never would've been done this soon otherwise.
    Component 1 is 90% from Cuv/Turumbar/Miloch's build. As time goes on I will integrate all of them together as much as possible.

As far as EE-related content goes... I have no definitive answer now beyond that I don't think I'm qualified to write EE material yet (given I haven't even played it yet as I wanted to do it with Ascension). I feel that the Beamdog writers for the characters or someone on their staff should be the one to write any content for the new NPC's, much like Gaider was the source of writing for Bioware NPC's.

That said, this is still a community project, so if anyone feels inspired/up to that task... :)

I had thought about a future release that incorporates acknowledgements/villains from Siege.

@ALIEN
    Those fixes from that thread were not included per se. However, WhiteAgnus and I both noticed it as we were converting the components to be EE-friendly and fixed them ourselves. I believe the same was done by Cuv/Turumbar/Miloch for their build, however I did not have time to go through every Ascension .baf/.bcs in their build as I was implementing them. The fine-toothed comb is planned for the next release, especially now that I have access to pre-weidu Ascension resources (thanks for that Musigny and WhiteAgnus!)

@agb1
    I tried doing that last night originally and could not get the install to function properly. This is an issue with my understanding of Weidu and again was something I'd planned for a future release.

Ideally I would like the AutoTRA to fire only when The Ascension is installed and Detectable Spells be the only function that is required for the rest of the mod (save Bhaalspawn powers). Limited time over these holidays (yesterday was my only day off for the next two and 1/2 weeks!) prevented me from taking the time to learn how to make it work the way I wanted and still get a christmas release out to everyone.

EDIT: Basically, this will be covered in Improved Mod Compatibility. Honestly, I've no idea how BWP works as I've never used it.

shawneJuliusBorisovCuvGenderNihilismGirdle
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Bravo! This is indeed a project that's been eagerly-awaited. :)

I doubt I'd be much help in terms of technical bug-hunts, but I'd be more than happy to assist with any writing/editing-related tasks.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • jdemastjdemast Member Posts: 35
    Would the mod installation order be the same as the previous working version of Ascension?
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited December 2015
    hey, @JediMindTrix. It may be a good idea to upload the beta version of Ascension on GitHub. From my own experience, open repository structure and a way for everyone to suggest improvements and fixes by directly modifying the code on the site is very handy. It's also a good place to host files before you find a proper home for the mod (files attached to post are not available for not registered users on this forum)
    brus
    @jdemast I would personally install it first. However, that's theoretically not as strict a requirement as it used to be as the install patches files rather than overwrites now (except for Bhaalspawn Powers).

@shawne @agb1 I am sending you both my skype details.

@swit I would need to discuss this with WhiteAgnus and see how we both feel about making the GitHub branch public.
    As this is a beta release, I'm okay with only users of this forum being able to download it (it's not exactly hard to register).
    shawneJuliusBorisovGenderNihilismGirdle
  • SilentSilent Member Posts: 2
    agb1 said:

@JediMindTrix thanks very much for all your work on this. A request: can the components zero and one be combined together as component zero or swapped (so zero becomes the main component)?

The BWS mod installer has several rules for the original Ascension components and it would be simpler to maintain BWS for both EE and original BG2 if we could use the same component numbers for this new version of the mod. New components like the Revised Bhaalspawn Powers are not a problem, but changing numbers that were in the old version to mean something different in a new version creates an exception case.

Thanks for your consideration!

I think it is not necessary if the new version is compatible with the old BG2 and BGT. If not, and if it is impossible to combine the components of the new version similar to the components of the old version, then I suggest renaming mod, for example, to AscensionEE.
    [Deleted User]
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244

Future Updates:
    4) Siege of Dragonspear compatibility

Siege of Dragonspear (which is expansion pack to BG1) compatibility for Ascension (which is mode to BG2)?
    It seems like you know a few things that we do not know...
    I was referring to the patch I believe is launching alongside Siege. I should have been more specific.
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    swit said:

It may be a good idea to upload the beta version of Ascension on GitHub.

The project is on Github and everyone can see it since day 1, I have added it on August.... ;)

Here is the link: https://github.com/whiteagnus/Ascension

Currently the beta is not the main branch (because we have to investigate some things, but it will be merged in the main future... :))
    brusGenderNihilismGirdle
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited December 2015
    I would like to make a REQUEST: Could there be an option to install only the NPC Endings?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @DJKajuru Possibly :)

@subtledoctor @Silent The next release will remove the initialization component and the component numbers will return to their pre-beta state.
    DJKajuruGenderNihilismGirdle
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited December 2015
    Incompatibility report:

Install failure in SCS component 1000 stratagems\initial\initial.tpa after installing this new Ascension. SCS checks for Ascension component 0 and tries to patch player1.dlg. Probably the change that SCS is trying to make should be handled by new Ascension itself.

If new Ascension handles this, we can patch SCS (using BiG World Fixpack) to disable the problematic code.
    agb1 said:

Incompatibility report:

Install failure in SCS component 1000 stratagems\initial\initial.tpa after installing this new Ascension. SCS checks for Ascension component 0 and tries to patch player1.dlg. Probably the change that SCS is trying to make should be handled by new Ascension itself.

If new Ascension handles this, we can patch SCS (using BiG World Fixpack) to disable the problematic code.

Bug report received, thank you!
  • ThraxxThraxx Member Posts: 67
    I'm a big newb. Where's the installation guide?
    This is a guide for windows... ;)

1. Download the zip file here: https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/2c/93c36268d6c29dcd37a80457a583d2.7z or here: https://github.com/whiteagnus/Ascension/archive/master.zip (the last one is the current version, which had applied some patches to it... ;))
    2.1 if you used the file attached to the 1st post, copy the setup-ascension.exe and the ascension folder into your game directory (there is the baldur.exe and the chitin.key inside it)
    2.2 If you used the updated github version, copy the ascension folder from the Ascension-master folder in your game directory (there is the baldur.exe and the chitin.key inside it), fetch the latest weidu version: http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/ (download the Windows binary), extract the weidu.exe (from the weidu directory) to your game directory and rename it to setup-ascension.exe
    3. start the setup-ascension.exe in your game directory, by double klicking it, if it asks something like "Do you want to allow...", press yes
    4. A black command line window appears
    5. If you didn't have installed a weidu mod before, select the language (this is the language, you want to play in your game) by pressing the number on the keyboard and press enter
    6. Now you need to choose the langauge which you want the mod to install, by pressing the number and enter
    7. Now you could install components, the options are i for "install", n for "not install" and q for "quit", hit enter after you choosed your selection...

For Mac OSX, there is a guide on the forum how to install mods: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx#latest
    For installing mods on android, look to these guide: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43990/how-to-install-mods-on-android/p1
    If you want install on linux, I think there are currently unsolved problems with tolower (didn't tested it since months)
    If you want it on an iOS device, I can't help you.... :D
    brusJuliusBorisovGenderNihilismGirdle
  • MBerlMBerl Member Posts: 25
    Everything installed fine for me and seemed to work perfectly up until the final battle where I can't get to the platforms after killing Irenicus, Bodhi and the 2 fallen Deva things. The stream that acts as a bridge to each of them doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
    Thank you for your report! Is only the animation for the stream missing, or can you walk on an "invisible bridge" to the platforms?
    Will have a look into it. :)
  • MBerlMBerl Member Posts: 25
    No invisible bridge, sadly. I can use the cheat commands to teleport on the platforms to activate them, but after I do that with the 3 of them, nothing happens and the cutscene that was supposed to take place (if memory serves) doesn't happen. I get the dialogue saying the final battle will start momentarily, but, well... it doesn't.

It is very possible that other mods I have installed broke ascension somehow. I also have:

Fade NPC
    Banter Packs v14
    Rogue Rebalancing v464
    BG2 Tweaks (XP Cap removed)
    Imoen Romance v3.2
    Hmm, could you check these variables?
    GetGlobal("FinalFight","AR6200")
    GetGlobal("SetUpPools","AR6200")