Skip to content

Shandyr's weight loss thread

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @semiticgod I think you might have taken it a bit too literally ;)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @FinneousPJ: I think it's an interesting phenomenon, the way our bodies regulate our weight, and how our evolution has made it as easy as possible to gain weight, when now we just want to lose weight.

It's actually a huge triumph of humankind that we have so much food. Even in poor and overpopulated countries like India, the amount of food has been growing year after year.
    moody_mage
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited December 2015

@meagloth: The consensus is actually that fat isn't really all that bad for you. Protein and fat apparently are less likely to make people gain weight than carbs and sugars, and the fat helps you feel more full. A lot of fatty foods are bad for you, but that's stuff like snack foods and fast food... which are known to be addictive, and designed not to make people feel full. An avocado should be fine.

Well I'm afraid I wasn't aware of the consesus. All I know is that avacadoes are very calorie dense and if you're trying to not eat calories then you should avoid calorie dense food.
    Shandyr said:

About the specific advantage or disadvantage about a certain type of food e.g. the avocado, I'd propose a simple search with google like "benefits of avocado" or "avocados healthy?" or so.

There is no good data on weight loss on the Internet. It's such a clickbait topic it's impossible to find anything scientific- or true, for that matter.

http://authoritynutrition.com/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado/ This says how awesome avocados are
    http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/serious-side-effects-of-avocados/ This says how terrible they are

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction/ This one says you need more salt
    http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120521/Salt-intake-why-is-it-bad-for-you.aspx This one says you need less.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/health/bananas-nutritional-benefits/ This one says how the level of sugar in a banana is dangerous
    http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/25-powerful-reasons-to-eat-bananas This one says how amazing they are

https://www.sharecare.com/health/diet-nutrition/what-benefits-gluten-conttaining-grains This lists important reasons to eat gluten
    http://paleoleap.com/11-ways-gluten-and-wheat-can-damage-your-health/ This says how it will kill you.

Do you see what I'm saying? If you want good thing about avocados, Google "avocado benefit" if you want negative effects, Google "avocado dangerous."
    Just don't believe everything you read.
    semiticgoddesslolienbrus
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BelgarathMTHbrus
    edited December 2015
    Skatanbrus
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited December 2015

@decado So the medicine or thyroid condition can in fact create energy from nothing?

Medications can cause different hormonal changes resulting in an a change in how much energy is expended doing everyday things. So you actually spend less energy simply existing and your TDEE (which determines how many calories you expend doing this like digesting, sleeping, thinking etc) falls.

For example for my height and build I need roughly 2300 calories per day just to maintain my current weight. If I lay in bed all day and consumed that many calories I wouldn't get fat (within reason, over time my body composition would change and over time so would calorie requirement but that's a different discussion).

Medicine and medical conditions can change things so that by slowing/speeding the metabolism your body will do things slower/faster and thus expend less/more calories. Much like driving a car. I can drive one mile, if I floor the accelerator I can get there in a minute and use all my fuel (calories), if I go slow I get there in ten minutes and use less fuel, however I'm still covering the same distance. This is often why medicines and medical conditions can leave people feeling so sluggish, their body is locked into slow mode as it uses less calories to accomplish the same tasks as before.

Often people will still eat the same as they don't realise their body requirements have changed and as a result overeat and gain weight. It's not that they are eating more, it's that their basic calorie requirement to simply exist has fallen. Whereas before they may of needed 2000 calories per day to remain the same weight because of the change in metabolism they now only actually need 1500 per day. They continue to eat 2000 per day and as a result end up eating 3500 calories above their bodies true requirement each week. FYI a pound of pure fat contains around 3500 calories.

Medicines can also increase your appetite, so people will eat their normal portion of food yet will not be satisfied increasing the likelihood of overeating. Add that to the above and you can guess on the effects.

The problem is there is no real way to track how a medicine will affect you, it's a bit hit and miss.

Also water retention. Water is heavy as it can really bloat you up. As many females know...
    Post edited by moody_mage on
    semiticgoddessmeagloth
    @Shandyr said:

@meagloth
    Also please note: I am aware that the avocado is but one example.

It actually is not about the avocado, the topic is, how to find healthy food.
    Respectively is it possible to find healthy food on the Internet?

And as I have already pointed out several times, for me, as I am no expert on nutrition, it is in fact a question of belief.

And that is because for every opinion on the Internet you can find a counter opinion on the Internet.
    And I have pointed that out several times now too.

It just boils down to 'what works for you'. The majority of the diet plans will result in you losing weight, some are harder to do for some people than others.

My only real advice to these would be to avoid ANYTHING which promises results in X days or requires you to buy any sort of supplement (Herballife I'm looking at you) etc or anything which is purely a short term weight loss solution which you give up after a month and then balloon back to your old weight minus any muscle mass you lost in your crash diet.

Low carb will work
    Low fat will work
    Vegan will work
    Paleo will work
    IIFYM will work

Any proper plan will work as long as you can stick to it for the rest of your life and are consistently following it. The best plan is one you can stick to.
    [Deleted User]
    edited December 2015
    JuliusBorisovbrus
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Shandyr said:

meagloth said:

Do you see what I'm saying? If you want good thing about avocados, Google "avocado benefit" if you want negative effects, Google "avocado dangerous."
    Just don't believe everything you read.

@meagloth

Actually I was saying exactly that. You are proving my point.

You left out this part of my message:
    Shandyr said:

As I said in my opening post though for every opinion on the Internet you will find a counter opinion.
    So in the end for me it is in fact a question of belief.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as confrontational. I must have not have read your post thouroghly. I see your point now.
    Also I don't have anything against avacadoes; I love guacamole. I was just trying to point out that while they are may be very nutritious they are also very calorie dense. So I think we can both enjoy them now.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited December 2015
    @Shandyr

1) Yes, regularly
    2) They are a superb food in terms of nutritional quality
    3) Not really
    4) If you're worried about the myth that eggs give you high blood cholesterol, don't worry. It was debunked ages ago.
    [Deleted User]lolienJuliusBorisov
    Eggs are notable in that they contain basically all of the nutrients an ordinary critter needs to live. After all, they're designed to provide all necessary nutrients to the fetus, and those things need a lot of everything.

I used to eat one or two nearly every day until I got a little tired of them. I had a little plastic thingy (I don't know what it's called) that would let you pour the contents of an egg in a little indentation and microwave the thing to get a nice boiled egg in one minute. Fast to make, fast to eat, rather tasty with a bit of salt, and a very convenient way to get a lot of nutrients into one's diet.

I got a juicer for Christmas and I've started blending together fruits and veggies to make smoothies out of it. Greens tend not to be so delicious unless you prepare them correctly, and a good salad takes time and skill to make, but I can slip some kale into my diet by adding it to a smoothie where I won't even notice the kale is there.
    [Deleted User]lolienJuliusBorisov
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Eggs are fine in moderation but I would caution against too much protein without exercise. Protein *can* be good for weight loss because it is processed slowly and thus keeps you feeling full for a long time but it can also turn into fat if you aren't using it to build muscle and unprocessed protein isn't good for health. If you are going to continue to emphasize protein I would add some sort of resistance training.

Leafy greens high in calcium -- Kale, Chard and the like -- help with weight loss because the body has a hard time processing calcium and vegetable-sourced iron. "Hard to process" is what you want -- the body has to expend energy to digest. (simple sugars by contrast are very easy to process and usually leave you with a surfeit of energy -- which gets stored as fat)

While you have a good approach to greens -- fresh, Mediterranean tastes -- try experimenting with savory greens. I make a simple braising sauce out of shallots, sesame oil, black pepper and this stuff:

http://bragg.com/products/bragg-liquid-aminos-soy-alternative.html

caramelize the shallots, mix in the oil-bragg combo, add the greens, season with cracked black pepper. Serve over black rice. It's one of my "I'm feeling too lazy to cook" meals. Takes about 6-7 minutes.
    semiticgoddess[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
    [Deleted User]killerrabbit
    brus
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    Going back to the eggs thing: I wouldn't say to never eat eggs, but after my father's cardiac arrest one of the first things his doctor told him he should leave behind were not eggs as a whole, but egg yolks. He said it would help with a healthier lifestyle, improve weight loss, and lower his chances of another cardiac arrest. I know that's not your concern, but like I said, he did mention avoiding egg yolks for the most part would help with losing weight. Not exactly a horror story, but I thought I'd bring it up :smile:
    [Deleted User]
    @Caeria And did he give a reason?
    @FinneousPJ Mmm, yeah, something to do with the fact that they can store fat or something like that. I'm no expert.
    Caeria said:

Going back to the eggs thing: I wouldn't say to never eat eggs, but after my father's cardiac arrest one of the first things his doctor told him he should leave behind were not eggs as a whole, but egg yolks. He said it would help with a healthier lifestyle, improve weight loss, and lower his chances of another cardiac arrest. I know that's not your concern, but like I said, he did mention avoiding egg yolks for the most part would help with losing weight. Not exactly a horror story, but I thought I'd bring it up :smile:

I'd question when this advice was given. It's true egg yolks are the most calorific part of the egg but they basically contain the majority of the actual nutritional value as well.

In the last year or so the view of eggs being bad for you has thoroughly been debunked. Also doctors are not trained nutritionists and often have outdated or simply wrong advice on nutrition as a whole.
    brus
    Mm, that's entirely possible. Like I said, I'm no expert...but I do know that my father's doctor does consult with a nutritionist, so there is that. I'm sure different nutritionists have differing opinions though. *shrug*
    @Shandyr: Really? Why is broccoli not allowed?
    FinneousPJAnduinlolien
    edited February 2016
    lolienJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessFinneousPJ
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Shandyr
    Just to let you know that I have been on a diet since two weeks and I have already lost 3 kg. I need to lose other 3 kg and I will have again a sylph body :smiley:
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddesslolien
This discussion has been closed.