Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @Blackraven
    Someone having an issue with Demogorgon. It is not clear whether this is the ascension version or another one added on top of it. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/700733/#Comment_700733
    Anyway, if you are used to SCS demogorgon then stick to it.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Wow a sadistic, evil Charname! Very nice to be able to do what you want, but it would be superhard for me to kill innocents... Good hunting @bengoshi!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited January 2016
    @Blackraven: I admire your courage, with you potentially ready for every mage in SoA tossing "Comets, Firebreaths and Dark Planetars, in addition to casting Gates, Time Stops, Meteor Swarms and Wishes". To me, the SCS without that component is still a challenge.

As for the evilness, it doesn't let you do everything you want, at least not without a price. My party constantly have to increase its reputation and carefully deal with any innocent, so that Safana doesn't leave the group.

From "The Unseen One", a journal by the Quasit familar:

It looked like the church arrogantly asked for money, with Galena Mirrorshade not ready to sell potions for less than 3000 GP.

[spoiler=insane prices]

[/spoiler]

Hades donated more than 1000 GP to the foolish church, so that his reputation went from 2 to 6. With the Algernon's Cloak, the Charisma tome and Friends, my master could convince any merchant that he's as light and kind as anyone can ever be. Galena sold potions for less than 1000 GP each. Not that we forgot she took another thousand just to let us trade there.

When Hades met a group of red wizards hunting for a wild mage, Neera, Ed the Red took the leading role and ordered them to chut up.

[spoiler=The Neera's encounter without fighting the red wizards]

[/spoiler]

A merchant in Nashkel tried to sell Hades unknown potions for money. My master knew the better way to get them.

[spoiler=Red and Violet potions]

[/spoiler]

A gnome in the wilderness boasted he could forsee the future for Hades. After Ed the Red finished laughing, Honey Bunny looted the gnome's body.

[spoiler=Hafiz]

[/spoiler]

Another gnome in the wilderness wanted to ask for help, but Hades, who had learned that gnomes carried precious scrolls, decided to help in his own way.

[spoiler=Galtok]

[/spoiler]

After wondering around, my master decided to check the Nashkel Mines. It turned out they were heavily infested by kobolds, and reaching the last chamber requiered a lot of spells from both the Entertainer and Ed the Red.

In the last chamber, Hades found a half-orc, who mistakenly thought my master was sent by somebody called Tazok. One huge backstab, and the half-orc began to shout for mercy. He didn't even attack, he simply shouted and shouted till the second backstab ended it.

[spoiler=Mulahey]

[/spoiler]

At the surface, a bunch of ankhegs attacked, and killed Mr Blood in one hit. It reminded everyone about the insane damage enemies could inflict in that world.

[spoiler=First death]

[/spoiler]

When the party came back to Nashkel, they heard an alert, and a bounty hunter appeared. But what a fun began when several amnish soldiers started to attack this bounty hunter, apparently hired by the authorities. while other amnish soldiers attacked their comrades (to make it happen, Hades just needed to leave the battlefield, so that no guards could see him). The mess helped to deal with another assassin sent for the Hades's head.

[spoiler=Guards attacking guards]

[/spoiler]

Soon after returning to the exit from the Nashkel Mines, Hades found a wizard who didn't want to share his knowledge of slimes summoning. Here, my master chose to use a safe strategy of casting Hold Person next to an item, dropped next to Narcillicus from the shadows.
    (OOC: Thanks, @lolien, for this strategy. This is how I wanted to deal with Narcillicus during the multiplayer game, @Gotural and @Tresset, btw, but the multiplayer is laggy, so we couldn't pause just after the dialogue and retreat unseen.)

[spoiler=Narcillicus]

[/spoiler]

From the Mulahey's agent in one of the Beregost's taverns, it became clear that Mulahey's masters could be found in the Bandit camp. After travelling there and exploring the camp, Hades suggested the Entertainer could web any incoming foes, with the rest of the party shooting them from a distance. Hades still remembered how an ankheg one-shotted Dorn, so nobody could afford to become a target of bandits. Everything went according to the plan, except for the Entertainer using his wand of lightning wrong, so that the ligtning went backwards (although we were outdoors) after hitting a bandit, and killed the mage.

[spoiler=The Bandit Camp]

[/spoiler]
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I get around to dealing with the second Pocket Plane trial, against your alternate timeline Charname. Turns out brute force works fine against the enemies here.
    imageimageimageimage

Next is the fight with Jamis Tombelthen and his many under-trained, over-equipped allies. I only get two screenshots, which probably sum up the complexity of the fight overall.
    imageimage

Throne of Bhaal's weakness has always been an imbalance in favor of damage. There are no enchantment spells over level 5, and the disablers that do exist tend not to be all that much stronger than Chaos. You get a lot of items and spells that help you deal more damage, but that's about it.
    @Blackraven: Are there any incompatibilities between SCS and BP? I've considered installing more of the latter, but stopped at Ascension because it seemed like they would conflict. Also, what other mods are you using?

Because the last time I saw you use a Potion of Clarity to block Emotion: Hopelessness, Kangaxx killed you with Minute Meteors.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

@Blackraven: Are there any incompatibilities between SCS and BP? I've considered installing more of the latter, but stopped at Ascension because it seemed like they would conflict. Also, what other mods are you using?

Because the last time I saw you use a Potion of Clarity to block Emotion: Hopelessness, Kangaxx killed you with Minute Meteors.

Oh my @semiticgod, you're right :) I'm sure I meant a potion of magic shielding, even though I can't check because I eliminated my screenshots and I'm don't know if I even took one. The screenshot where the Aerial Servant kills the Lich does show the protection from fear icon, but I think that was a buff for the Aerial Servant to counter the "dragon fear" aura that Liches in my install have for some reason.
    Maybe I'll start using FRAPS, like you seem to do, in order to be able to better document my runs. Either way I've been keeping potions of magic shielding close at hand for emergency scenarios after my Skald Gerland quaffed one to escape Bodhi's Sepulchral Sleep. In hindsight Stone form would have been the better pick: cheaper and sufficient to push saves into the negatives.

I haven't run into compatibility issues between SCS and BP, but I've only installed a few BP components and I haven't seen all of them yet. What did strike me was the behavior of the Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks. His offensive magic and general recklessness didn't strike me as very SCS, even though I installed SCS over BP. Also, I mentioned in my penultimate update that the Rune Assassins weren't doing what they're supposed to. That may be just to a glitch, or it may be due to BP-SCS incompatibility. After all I installed BP's Tanner quest component.

Congratulations btw on defeating Draconis after such an unpleasant start! An exciting battle.
    @Blackraven: I actually use Snapper to take the screenshots.

Maybe I'll install some new stuff from BP and try out some different battles in my next run. And now that I know where that Fighter/Illusionist is, I'll have to try him out as well. I also should do that Fallen Paladin fight thingy... I think I've only played it once, ever.

Unconsciousness shouldn't be such a problem in BG2:EE, since you wake up automatically on being hit, and SCS enemies don't seem to know enough to use the unconsciousness effect for anything more than an automatic hit.