Skip to content

Convincing Erg to play the EEs

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
This discussion was created from comments split from: Wasteland 2 thread.

Here you go, ladies and gentlemen. Feel free to express your views on the EEs here.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2016
    Cahir said:

All that for not having PoE mod-friendly? Wow :smile:

Well, Apha Protocol has no mods either, so that's the main reason.

Kotor 2 is also from Obsidian and has mods, so I did buy it. Twice, actually.

Also NWN 2 is from Obsidian ans has mods and I did buy it once.

But I think we have to thank Bioware more than Obsidian for the fact that both Kotor 2 and NWN 2 have mods, so Obsidian is still number one on the list of video game developers that I most despise.

Beamdog is number two :p
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

Really? Beamdog hired a bunch of modders. And from what I've heard, they're making more things moddable in the game.

Yeah, but there's this TobEX thing, that they didn't implement fully in EE :wink: And all admiration crumbled.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah, but since they were hired by Beamdog, they don't have time to mod. But there's still more and more new modders that try to carve their place in the modding community.

And I really regret that @Erg lost interest in EE, cause I really hoped to see more of his mods. Sigh.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Its a shame that ToBEx wasn't completely added in the EEs. I don't know if @Ascension64 didn't want all of his work in, or if it would have been a violation of Beamdog's contract at the time.

As for Wasteland 2. Like ten seconds in and my restartitis kicks in.

Really? Beamdog hired a bunch of modders. And from what I've heard, they're making more things moddable in the game.

Beamdog is number two, but for different reasons than Obsidian.

Yes, the fact that they didn't manage to fully implement TobEX features is quite embarrassing.

ToBEX was made by one guy using reverse engineering, because he had no access to the source code, working in his own free time, and he has managed to outdo Beamdog despite all its paid developers with full access to the source code.

However, that's not the main reason.

I just can't stand what they have done to one of my favourite games, and by that I mean all the unnecessary and arbitrary changes.

There are other reasons too (lack of customisability, subpar original content, etc.), but the above is the main one.
    Cahir said:

And I really regret that Erg lost interest in EE, cause I really hoped to see more of his mods. Sigh.

I was indeed working on more mods some time ago (for example a mod adding several spears in BG1, like the Spear +2 Tempest, that does in average the same damage of the Varscona sword, or Tutification, an attempt to bring in BG:EE the spawning system of EasyTutu; see picture below), but it is true that I lost interest and I don't even feel motivated enough to update the ones that I have already released.

[spoiler=Tempest]image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=A room full of spiders according to Beamdog]image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=A room full of spiders in Tutification]image[/spoiler]
    Erg said:

Cahir said:

And I really regret that Erg lost interest in EE, cause I really hoped to see more of his mods. Sigh.

I was indeed working on more mods some time ago (for example a mod adding several spears in BG1, like the Spear +2 Tempest, that does in average the same damage of the Varscona sword, or Tutification, an attempt to bring in BG:EE the spawning system of EasyTutu; see picture below), but it is true that I lost interest and I don't even feel motivated enough to update the ones that I have already released.

[spoiler=Tempest]image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=A room full of spiders according to Beamdog]image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=A room full of spiders in Tutification]image[/spoiler]
    Like I said, real pity I like your little mods, they add flavor to the game. and I was hoping for more:(

I don't know what unnecessary and arbitrary changes you are referring to, but as for lack of customisability you do have some valid points. There should be as many customize options in menu as possible (some more hardcore and under-the-hood changes should indeed go to .ini file). As for subpar content, well maybe for BGEE, but they were just starting, they had an evil Atari above their heads and they were just a bunch of people trying to make their beloved game better. BG2EE looks much better in that regard and I have a feeling SoD will be as good as originals.

Look, you clearly didn't loose interest in franchise, since you still play vanilla. I know you reacted something like "too little to late" when I passed the news about concentration checks finding their way in soon enough (new patches and SoD). But since these will be added maybe all relevant TobEX features will too. They said lot about UI modding being easier and they also said there will be many new items in SoD with unique properies (so there surely will be new options). I find it hard to believe they'll not doing anything good to scripting capabilities and forget about externalizations. Maybe give them one last chance after SoD and new patches come out?

Finally, I don't know if you're familiar with it, but @swit is doing EET mod, which is one may say equivalent of BGT and a bunch of tweaks and other mods compatible with it too. Now, I know that spawning system in EE is something that bothers you greatly (because it makes the game easier, right?), but @swit made a mod called BGEE Spawn (or adapted some other version of spawning mod, I'm not sure). I don't know how close it is to fullfill your expectations regarding spawning system, but maybe it's close enough to spark some interest. Either way you should check it, even if for giving some feedback to improve it, if you find some cool features lacking. Anyway, I find EET as a starting point for my future playthroughs and hope its feature of allowing parties to go anywhere on the world map, at any point, would lead to releasing great mods, that will add a high-level content to once visited areas (like Baldur's Gate).
    edited February 2016
    Erg said:

ToBEX was made by one guy using reverse engineering, because he had no access to the source code, working in his own free time, and he has managed to outdo Beamdog despite all its paid developers with full access to the source code.
    Yeah, I wonder if Ascension64 was even helping with BG(2)EE or if he only gave his blessing to implement whatever TobEX features they want. But there are lot of old modders, that I know of, hired by Beamdog who know the ins and outs of the engine, so I really do think they can cook some cool stuff for modders in upcoming patches. There are still quite a few established modders that I would like to see joining Beamdog team (like Wisp, Demivrgvs, Mike1072, K4thos, Kulyok, cmorgan, argent77) for various talents they have, but even now the list is impressive.

Edit: Since we deviated a bit from a W2 topic, maybe some moderator could put my conversation with @Erg and @typo_tilly to a separate topic? I really don't want to hijack this thread anymore. Thanks.

Cahir said:

There are still quite a few established modders that I would like to see joining Beamdog team (like Wisp, Demivrgvs, Mike1072, K4thos, Kulyok, cmorgan, argent77)

And exchange their creative freedom for a paycheck and a bunch of binding legal documents? I don't known, but it is entirely up to them, I suppose.
    Cahir said:

I don't know what unnecessary and arbitrary changes you are referring to

You know that there is something wrong with the EE games, when you have to heavily mod them just to play vanilla (compared to the original games).

Examples of unnecessary and arbitrary changes:

1) the way pickpocket works
    2) the behaviour of the sleep spell, plus other similar spells
    3) the lack or respawning in some critical areas
    4) kits and other BG2 crap in BG1 and IWD (some of these are good but they should be left to mods; now we can't even play vanilla anymore)
    5) forcing 1PP down our collective throats

and the list could go on and on !!!
    Cahir said:

As for subpar content, well maybe for BGEE, but they were just starting, they had an evil Atari above their heads and they were just a bunch of people trying to make their beloved game better. BG2EE looks much better in that regard and I have a feeling SoD will be as good as originals.

It's easy to blame evil Atari for everything, but IMO Beamdog managed to do even worse, since Atari is out of the picture. I don't have direct experience with the new content in BGII:EE (and I never will), but from what I read here, it is really bad, and I mean Hexxat bad :)
    Cahir said:

Maybe give them one last chance after SoD and new patches come out?

No, unless they undo all the unnecessary and arbitrary changes, but somehow I doubt that they'll do that.
    Cahir said:

I don't know if you're familiar with it, but @swit is doing EET mod

I admire @swit as a modder and I wish him well with the EET project, but I will never use it myself and for the same reasons I don't use BGT. I don't have anything against BGT in principle. As a matter of fact I've always added BGT compatibility to my mods, but I personally prefer to keep BG1 and BG2 separate. It's a matter of personal taste. I think that BG1 and BG2 are two different games and their differences should be preserved.
    Cahir said:

swit made a mod called BGEE Spawn (or adapted some other version of spawning mod, I'm not sure). I don't know how close it is to fullfill your expectations regarding spawning system, but maybe it's close enough to spark some interest.

I know, there is also a spawning mod for BG:EE made by @AstroBryGuy, but, as I said, the spawning system is only one of the many things I don't like about the Enhanced Editions.

It is just easier for me to mod the original games, because they are closer to my taste to start with.
    Erg said:

Cahir said:

There are still quite a few established modders that I would like to see joining Beamdog team (like Wisp, Demivrgvs, Mike1072, K4thos, Kulyok, cmorgan, argent77)

And exchange their creative freedom for a paycheck and a bunch of binding legal documents? I don't known, but it is entirely up to them, I suppose.
    Cahir said:

I don't know what unnecessary and arbitrary changes you are referring to

You know that there is something wrong with the EE games, when you have to heavily mod them just to play vanilla (compared to the original games).

Examples of unnecessary and arbitrary changes:

1) the way pickpocket works
    2) the behaviour of the sleep spell, plus other similar spells
    3) the lack or respawning in some critical areas
    4) kits and other BG2 crap in BG1 and IWD (some of these are good but they should be left to mods; now we can't even play vanilla anymore)
    5) forcing 1PP down our collective throats

and the list could go on and on !!!
    Cahir said:

As for subpar content, well maybe for BGEE, but they were just starting, they had an evil Atari above their heads and they were just a bunch of people trying to make their beloved game better. BG2EE looks much better in that regard and I have a feeling SoD will be as good as originals.

It's easy to blame evil Atari for everything, but IMO Beamdog managed to do even worse, since Atari is out of the picture. I don't have direct experience with the new content in BGII:EE (and I never will), but from what I read here, it is really bad, and I mean Hexxat bad :)
    Cahir said:

Maybe give them one last chance after SoD and new patches come out?

No, unless they undo all the unnecessary and arbitrary changes, but somehow I doubt that they'll do that.
    Cahir said:

I don't know if you're familiar with it, but @swit is doing EET mod

I admire @swit as a modder and I wish him well with the EET project, but I will never use it myself and for the same reasons I don't use BGT. I don't have anything against BGT in principle. As a matter of fact I've always added BGT compatibility to my mods, but I personally prefer to keep BG1 and BG2 separate. It's a matter of personal taste. I think that BG1 and BG2 are two different games and their differences should be preserved.
    Cahir said:

swit made a mod called BGEE Spawn (or adapted some other version of spawning mod, I'm not sure). I don't know how close it is to fullfill your expectations regarding spawning system, but maybe it's close enough to spark some interest.

I know, there is also a spawning mod for BG:EE made by @AstroBryGuy, but, as I said, the spawning system is only one of the many things I don't like about the Enhanced Editions.

It is just easier for me to mod the original games, because they are closer to my taste to start with.
    Sigh, can't blame me for trying :disappointed:

The bottom line, as I see it, is that you never needed Enhanced Edition to begin with and you're perfectly fine with vanilla + mods. Because I can't imagine what enhancements the game should have to be appealing to you. It seems even the slightest deviation from vanilla behavior is a bad and arbitrary decision to you. It's not possible to put each minor change as an (ini) option, there have to be some development decisions somewhere in the process.
    Cahir said:

The bottom line, as I see it, is that you never needed Enhanced Edition to begin with and you're perfectly fine with vanilla + mods. Because I can't imagine what enhancements the game should have to be appealing to you. It seems even the slightest deviation from vanilla behavior is a bad and arbitrary decision to you. It's not possible to put each minor change as an (ini) option, there have to be some development decisions somewhere in the process.

I like the "under the hood" changes in the engine, but they can't redeem IMO what has been done content wise.

Yes, I think that every deviation from vanilla behaviour (even the "good" ones and/or the ones I may personally like) should be entirely optional, and implemented through

1) in-game options settings

or

2) ini files

or

3) WeiDU (official) mods.

or a combination of the above.

What can I say? I really like customisability and modularity, and this is where the original games really outshine the so called Enhanced Editions.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Erg wrote: »
    it is true that I lost interest and I don't even feel motivated enough to update the ones that I have already released.

Nooooooo!!! Please don't do that!!! We need you!
    Also, I love spears and halberds and I would kill for more of them!