Skip to content

The Roadmap to v2.0 (11 Milestones Cleared!)

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
If you've participated in previous "Road to..." events on this site before, you may recall that historically we set milestones and goals for things we want our volunteers to focus on. You may have noticed that there is no counter ticking up this time around for sending us your saved games or filling out a survey that's buried in checkboxes. That's because, this time around, we're doing things a little differently.

May I present to you, the v2.0 Roadmap!

Now, in all honesty, not all of those locations are in the right spot. This isn't a map of the Sword Coast, even though that's what it looks like. It's actually a map to this update's release.

Clever, I know.

As we make our way closer and closer to the release of the update (our progress along the road will be determined by the feedback from the community, responses to the surveys, and the bugs that get reported through Redmine), we'll keep this map updated to show you an up-to-date summary of our journey together.

But what's that list on the right there? Milestones?

Yes! This time we're doing things a little differently, as I said before. Each time a milestone is cleared, we'll update it on the map and announce it to the world. Each milestone also comes with a special treat for the community (except for our giveaways, which are given to a few specific members of the community). For more details, read on!

Hero of a Thousand Faces - CLEARED!

We want to know who your character is that you've created for the public beta. It could be a character you always play, or something new you're trying because of course you want to play the Shaman, don't you? Post a screenshot of your unique character on either the Inventory Screen, the Character Record screen, or the main gameplay screen. If you like, you can also post your customized Biography for your character. If we like your submissions, we may feature some of them in a future issue of The Familiar! (We'll ask you for permission first, of course.)

Community Prizes:

Pregen Character (25 Submissions) - CLEARED!

We'll create a special character that you can download and import into a new game--either as your main protagonist, or as a secondary character using the Advanced Character Creation feature that's been introduced with this update. At this level, however, the new character comes with no equipment. You'll need to buy that separately.

Custom Equipment (100 Submissions) - CLEARED!

We'll outfit your new companion or protagonist with a set of custom-fitted gear that's guaranteed to make the other adventurers jealous. (Note: all of this equipment will use existing in-game items to avoid compatibility issues with mods you may have installed.)

Custom Portrait (500 Submissions) - CLEARED!

What good's a hero without a face? At the top tier, we'll have one of our artists create a brand-new portrait just for the new character.

AMA Let You Finish - CLEARED!

It couldn't be easier. Fill out a survey. Right? Just tell us what you think of the beta in its current state in comparison to previous betas or in comparison to the version of the game that's currently out in the wild.

Community Prizes:

Phil Daigle AMA (40 Responses) - CLEARED!

Our lead designer, Phillip Daigle, will host a live stream where he'll answer a number of questions from the community. His answers might not be truthful, and he might make fun of you, but we'll put him in front of the camera and force him to talk for at least an hour.

Kris Avalon AMA (80 Responses) - CLEARED!

Famed game writer and legend among legends, Kris Avalon (a sock puppet who is in no way related to any human game writers or legends among legends whose names might sound similar) will join Phil in his live-streamed AMA. Kris will talk about his life in this industry, how difficult it's been to break into a field that sees so few sock puppets, and also what it was like to work on that other CRPG everyone's always talking about.

Sock Puppet Cutscene (120 Responses) - CLEARED!

Our art team apparently really likes making sock puppets. So much so, in fact, that they've created sock puppets for all of the characters in the first cutscene of the game where Gorion meets the Armored Figure. Phil will use these sock puppets to reenact that cutscene during his livestream AMA, doing all the voices just like they appear in the game!*

*Phil is not a trained voice actor. Why do you want him to do this?

Over-Achievers Anonymous - CLEARED!

This update adds achievements to both BG:EE and BGII:EE. If you manage to unlock all of the achievements in BG:EE, or all of the achievements in BGII:EE, we will send you a copy of the Siege of Dragonspear Collector's Edition for free as soon as it becomes available!

To recap: We're giving away two copies of the Collector's Edition. To be eligible, you must unlock all of the achievements in BG:EE or BGII:EE, and then show us a screenshot of your achievements list on Steam so that we can verify your claim. Winners for each prize will be randomly selected from eligible participants from either game--only one participant from BG:EE and one from BGII:EE will be given this amazing prize. So go out there and start unlocking things!

Know Thy Selfie

If you have a camera or a phone with a camera, we want to see you playing the beta. Take a selfie (or have a friend snap a photo of you) while you're playing the beta, or somehow showcasing the beta in the same picture. Post enough selfies, and one of our artists will select the best shot from your submissions to "baldurize" into a custom portrait that we'll make available to download on this site.
Submit 25 selfies, and we'll do one portrait. - CLEARED!
Submit 50 selfies, and we'll do two.
Submit 100 selfies, and we'll do three!
(By submitting your selfie, you agree that Beamdog may use your submission to create a custom portrait. Before we commit to Baldurizing the chosen selections, we'll contact you with a model release form.)

Penguins, Rectangles, and Fruit

Screenshots are wonderful. But screenshots that show us definitively what operating system you're playing on are even better. Take a screenshot of your game running the public beta in windowed mode and post it! Show your pride in Mac OSX, Windows, or Linux!

Wallpapers

At 25 (CLEARED!), 50 (CLEARED!), and 100 screenshots, one of our artists will hand-craft a Road to v2.0-branded wallpaper using some of our premium artwork. There's a potential for three unique wallpapers here, so start sharing your screens!

Road-Tested

Anyone who submits a Bug ticket through our Redmine site will get the coveted "Road-Tested" forum badge. (In order to qualify for the badge, you must submit a ticket that follows our requested format in the "How to Report Bugs" thread.)
Post edited by Dee on
[Deleted User]Kamigoroshicmk24JuliusBorisovFlashburnAnduinAdulCrevsDaakArdulAedanBelgarathMTHbrusRodrianSurvivorBanArd[Deleted User]kaguanalolienHoly_JalorMythrinnSCARY_WIZARDAutocratDoubledimasSikorskynemesa

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited March 2016

Answers to Questions about the Roadmap

How do I submit things for the milestones?

Post them directly in this thread. Make sure to clearly label your submission, preferably in Big Bold Letters so that we know what we're looking at. The first post will be updated with running tallies as things come in.
    [Deleted User]lolmerJuliusBorisovlolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovAnduin
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Arrrrgh!

Please, please make the betas available for Windows XP and I SHALL MAKE IT!
    lolienSCARY_WIZARD
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2016
    Dee said:

Kris Avalon AMA (80 Responses)

Famed game writer and legend among legends, Kris Avalon (a sock puppet who is in no way related to any human game writers or legends among legends whose names might sound similar) will join Phil in his live-streamed AMA. Kris will talk about his life in this industry, how difficult it's been to break into a field that sees so few sock puppets, and also what it was like to work on that other CRPG everyone's always talking about.
    These dopplegangers, they're everywhere! You won't confuse me! Chris Avellone is the only real hero, not this "Kris Avalon" face-changer!
    AnduinFlashburnAdullolien
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Dee
    If you've already submitted a bug report to Redmine in the requested format before this thread was made, will you still get the badge?
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I pressed Post Comment and literally a few seconds later went "Ohhh."
    lolmerJuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
    I have a question: should the bug reports be ideal 100% for the "Road-Tested" badge, or they can be edited a bit by the QA staff and it wouldn't still prevent the badge?

For example, when several words in the subject are changed and/or a desciption is slightly updated by the QA staff, but the bug still was reported according to the instuctions.
    lolien
    bengoshi said:

I have a question: should the bug reports be ideal 100% for the "Road-Tested" badge, or they can be edited a bit by the QA staff and it wouldn't still prevent the badge?

For example, when several words in the subject are changed and/or a desciption is slightly updated by the QA staff, but the bug still was reported according to the instuctions.

If your report follows our requested format (Repro steps, observed, expected), you'll get the badge. QA will polish up the reports before they go to the dev team anyway, but just following our format makes their job a lot easier.

Keep the submissions coming, folks! Great stuff so far.
    JuliusBorisovlolmerlolien
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Prob wrong place but can we test this with the Beamdog version? I don't have the steam version.
    Adding people to the Beamdog client beta requires a bit more setup, so we're sticking with Steam for the moment.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Dee said:

Adding people to the Beamdog client beta requires a bit more setup, so we're sticking with Steam for the moment.

... eh? I thankfully do not have the steam version and the beta builds download just fine for me using the Beamdog client... I'm missing something here.
    If you already have access to the beta, then you can use it to try v2.0. The setup I was referring to was granting people access to the beta, which isn't as straight-forward on the Beamdog side as it is on Steam. (It's not opt-in; it's a separate product that has to be added to your account).
    lolmerlolien
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    edited March 2016
    Got some Steam keys now after contacting beamdog. Much easier ^^

If a mod could delete my posts here now would probably be better. Save cluttering the thread.
    lolien