Skip to content

How to Report Bugs

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited March 2016
    Re: this issue. If a bug candidate has changed status to "will not fix" and yet I still think it's a bug and that details have been overlooked about it, should I try to convince you guys in the issue's comments? Or will it never be looked at again? And since the reviewer responded with a video, would it be helpful at all if I also made a video of why I think it's a bug?
    Post edited by Adul on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Personally, I've found myself often discussing things on the Redmine with the developers after their answers. They're listening. So if you have additional clues, tell about them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Shandyr I figure you are spoiling them if you give them videos.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Shandyr said:

@Cerevant
    What is the preferred format for videos?

mp4. I'll add that to the OP
    @Gate70 - I saw @typo_tilly had something like this, but you fixed it for her?
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    1) When you say ZIP Format, do you mean the Deflate/Deflate64 or older format?

2) When you say MP4 for videos, you realize that MP4 is just a container/not an actual format right? Do you mean .h264, Xvid, .h263 or some other format? (I assume you mean .h264)
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited March 2016
    @Franpa we use .h264 for videos. For zip format the normal QA practice is to use whatever Windows defaults to with send to compressed/zipped folder when available (I'm not sure about Mac/Linux).

@Shandyr the bad gateway can be annoying. I try to keep file sizes to a minimum as that usually helps, and yes I've seen it with files of that size which work some days and not others. I assumed my internet connection was a contributory factor but I'm not certain.

Also, please don't use external links. If we need to review tickets several weeks/months/years down the line the retention of images, files etc. is not within our control. A later regression where an old issue arises could be more difficult to confirm if that's the case.

Thanks

Edit: & great work everyone, and sorry @Adul about the WNF ticket - I was going to change it today after thinking about it in more detail but another team member had already come to the same conclusion.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Oh, no problem at all. Glad I could be of help! :)
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Dee or @Cerevant I am noticing a bug in the new 2.0.060 build in the description of weapon styles on the character sheet. I see that a bug was submitted #20951 for just the sword and shield style proficiency and under the previous build.

Should I log this as another bug for the new build or just add an edit to the existing bug and note the 2 other proficiencies affected and that it is still there under the new build?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @ronaldo if you don't see a bug listed as being fixed in one of the change logs, you can assume that we haven't fixed it yet. If it's already been reported, you do not need to report the same bug again each time the build is updated.

In this particular case, you can probably just put a comment in the ticket with a note that it affects all of the weapon styles.
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    @Dee If I find a bug while playing the beta.. BUT the save was originally started in a previous patch version. Does that automatically make the save invalid for testing reasons?

I ask because I cant figure out how the bug I have happened. If I load my current save game I can keep reproducing the bug but I cant seem to get the same results with a brand new save..

So I cant tell if it was caused from the save loading into the new patch or that its a general game bug which I just cant happen to reproduce easily.
    @00zim00 it depends on what the bug is. Some data - especially areas - are saved in the save game, so corrections to that data (or other corrections that depend on changes to that data) will not appear unless you start a new game. So, what are you seeing?
    edited March 2016
    Cerevant said:

@00zim00 it depends on what the bug is. Some data - especially areas - are saved in the save game, so corrections to that data (or other corrections that depend on changes to that data) will not appear unless you start a new game. So, what are you seeing?

It is to do with Areas soo im guessing its just the patch. But here is the info anyways, if it dosnt make sense let me know and ill re-write it xD.

-Basically I load my save game which I have been playing in the new patch for awhile
    -Add a new custom map marker in any area map (M).
    -The new text I add changes ALL the Custom maker names (not the BG original markers only custom) to the new name and overwrites the old ones. So now I have identical named custom markers across all maps.
    -Then if I then go and delete one of the older map markers with the same name. All the names change to something like "Invalid: 3000002"

(Showing all Markers with the same name)

(Invalid: 3000002)
    Post edited by 00zim00 on
    @00zim00 go ahead and report that. I'm thinking we should be able to handle that case.
    Cerevant said:

@00zim00 go ahead and report that. I'm thinking we should be able to handle that case.

Awesome thank you :) Hopefully its a retroactive fix hehe :D!
    Is there a way to summon some enemies so that I can set up a test scenario save file for a possible minor Advanced AI bug I found?

Random encounters in the wild are the easiest to reproduce the bug however them spawning is random and isn't guaranteed in a save load. Have also tried the C:CreateCreature command but its just saying "Error File 'xxx' dont exist."

Im sure there must be an easier way to do this lol. I can just write up a bug and say "get yourself in a fight with a decent group of enemies" but I assume it would be better to include a working reproduce step as opposed to a "keep trying until you see the bug" description.
    My suggestion would be a C:MoveToArea() that is pre-loaded with enemies. Depending on what you want to test, For BG1, there are several opportunities just in Ch1 (Outside FAI, spiders in Beregost, Inn in Nashkel, etc). BG2 you just walk down the hall.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    C:CreateCreature("wolf") should work in bgee, or xvart. wolf01 in bgiiee from memory.

Alternately C:Eval('Enemy()') while mousing over a party member or neutral should set them hostile. I often weigh someone down with heavy armor so they can't move; and use them as a target to check something.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but how do I comment on an existing issue in redmine? I've got the same issue a someone else, but would just like to say it's also happening on ubuntu linux, and can occur under slightly different circumstances.
    edited March 2016
    Click the Edit button at the bottom to amend a report/respond to one. If its an actual bug report try to only respond if you have any new information to provide that can help isolate/reproduce the issue being discussed. If it is a Feature Request than I dunno, treat it like a forum post? >.>"
    There's some discrepancies in Redmine, for Baldur's Gate it says there are 87 Feature Requests but it only shows 81 when viewing them...

For Bug Reports it says there are 230 but only displays 223?
    The default filter is "open" - some of the tickets have been closed and won't show up in that list.
    edited March 2016
    Oh okay, that makes sense. (I see where to change the filter too)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited March 2016
    I have a question about a bug report I just made. Should I assume that the devs and QA people know how the engine works and make my report concise by not including superfluous information or should I show all relevant information and make my report longer but thoroughly explain all the relevant factors?

I just want to make sure that whoever handles this report knows how to hit rolls are calculated in game so that the report isn't sidelined by someone unfamiliar with the math.

I know it may sound a bit silly that I would worry that a developer would not know about this stuff, but, due to past experiences, I would not be surprised if some of the QA people were not familiar with the math involved. The math is somewhat extensive and not exactly intuitive.
    @Tresset Not sure if the Devs might have a different response. But why not do both? Add the normal short version of the bug in the concise report as you do any other bugs. Then in the notes section make a full version with all information. Likewise you could just do the short version and wait to see what they reply with. They may ask for more information anyways as they are pretty on the ball when it comes to feedback or responses in bug reports. At least that's what i have seen :smile:
    00zim00 said:

@Tresset Not sure if the Devs might have a different response. But why not do both? Add the normal short version of the bug in the concise report as you do any other bugs. Then in the notes section make a full version with all information. Likewise you could just do the short version and wait to see what they reply with. They may ask for more information anyways as they are pretty on the ball when it comes to feedback or responses in bug reports. At least that's what i have seen :smile:

This is exactly our expectation: The Description of the bug report must describe how to reproduce the symptom - what you see in the game that is not correct. Any other information goes in the Notes / Comments
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    There's a problem that I'm not sure is worth reporting, as I guess it'll probably no longer applies by the time this can be fixed:

If you preorder SoD from Beamdog, and then use the Beamdog client to install the Vanilla version of BG, the client warns you that you should install the Expansion instead. Naturally, you cannot do that yet. There is an option to bypass the popup and install Vanilla, but it's a bit awkward.