Skip to content

Beamdog's Official Statement (4-6-2016)

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited April 2016
    On second thought, nvm.
  • TalysTalys Member Posts: 15
    Just my two cents (everyone is giving their two cents here anyway) but as long as Safana won't be rewritten in order to be in tune with her original personnality (I don't support censoring female sexuality in fictionnal characters, and I'm female myself.), I won't be buying SoD.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Perhaps beamdog should just have nothing but selection sounds for characters. That way everyone can be happy that they were preserved so faithfully.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    I thought about creating a new thread for this, but decided not to.

Anyway, I'd love to know what the playerbase would have done if Beamdog had included content leanings towards a different political direction. Let us say that they had a joke in the game that was supportive of Trump. Or a character named Trump who was portrayed in a positive light.

I guarantee that those people on these forums who say Mizheena etc is not a big deal would be singing a very different tune if anything positive about Trump, or Trump-like politics was in the game. There would be boycotts and Twitter wars.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

Anyway, I'd love to know what the playerbase would have done if Beamdog had included content leanings towards a different political direction. Let us say that they had a joke in the game that was supportive of Trump. Or a character named Trump who was portrayed in a positive light.

I guarantee that those people on these forums who say Mizheena etc is not a big deal would be singing a very different tune if anything positive about Trump, or Trump-like politics was in the game. There would be boycotts and Twitter wars.

I like beating dead horses too...
  • kanemikanemi Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2016
    EDIT: Nevermind.
    Post edited by kanemi on
  • RathenauRathenau Member Posts: 80
    You monster! What did that horse ever do to you?

Besides: we're not there yet.
  • namenlosnamenlos Member Posts: 51
    ^no thanks.

I romanticized Jaheiras character(used Safana once maybe), since I killed Khalid early on, her comments were never nagging wife for me. I always took them to be the nagging druid, since I'd expect a druid to say something.
    Haha, I wonder if that's the problem for so many others? dropped Khalid early on so how could she be the nagging wife if she isn't married :D .
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

But, to answer your question:

1) If Minsc had had a joke selection quote about "Making adventuring great again!", absolutely noone would care. There would be no boycott or Twitter war about it. Guaranteed. Similar jokes have popped up all over pop culture in the last six months and failed to offend anybody.

2) Could you please read the link above again, and then explain why you feel the existence of a transgendered character is equivalent to a character who is an expy or based directly around a controversial businessman/politician currently running for office? Because your entire point hinges on those two things being equivalent.

(Super secret bonus answer: a Donald Trump expy was in Gremlins 2, and Gremlins 2 is awesome, so there: clear proof nobody would have cared about Trump anyway provided that SoD was made in 1990.)

• Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Because the acceptance or not of transgender people, and thus characters, is political. I thought this was clear from the reaction to it.

If it was not political, there would have been no reaction. Quite simple really.

Ask 100 Americans what they feel about transgenderism and you will probably get 100 different responses. It is a contentious and highly political issue. Opinions on it mostly fall along party lines, with Democrats being more accepting of transgender people and Republicans less accepting.

Hence, it is political and should not have been in the game.
  • kanemikanemi Member Posts: 31
    Ayiekie said:

(Super secret bonus answer: a Donald Trump expy was in Gremlins 2, and Gremlins 2 is awesome, so there: clear proof nobody would have cared about Trump anyway provided that SoD was made in 1990.)

He was also the basis for Old Biff in Back to the Future 2, where he... wasn't quite as awesome.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Ayiekie said:

Environmentalism is political, so toss all druids

Yes please. Stupid tree huggers are standing in the way of progress. We need more paved roads to easily move around, walled cities for safety and commerce, and irrigated farmlands for prosperous growth. Let's get rid of these hippies and make the Sword Coast great again!
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

Ayiekie said:

Environmentalism is political, so toss all druids

Yes please. Stupid tree huggers are standing in the way of progress. We need more paved roads to easily move around, walled cities for safety and commerce, and irrigated farmlands for prosperous growth. Let's get rid of these hippies and make the Sword Coast great again!
    Druids and Rangers Against Insecure Billionaires With Tiny Hands
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Ayiekie said:

1) If Minsc had had a joke selection quote about "Making adventuring great again!", absolutely noone would care. There would be no boycott or Twitter war about it. Guaranteed. Similar jokes have popped up all over pop culture in the last six months and failed to offend anybody.

I'm one of those #nevertrump people, and I would find that hilarious
  • Baeloth_JnrBaeloth_Jnr Member Posts: 86
    bengoshi said:

After hearing once and again ridiculous claims about "changes in Safana", I think I've had enough.

Here're all possible BG1 banters for Safana:

Replies to Coran:

"I assume, Coran, that you think that your elven charms are considerably. Let me enlighten you, they aren't!"
    "Watch what you say, Elf!"
    "I might find you attractive, Coran, if you weren't so irritating."

INSULT towards Minsc/Edwin/Garrick
    - My feet are very sore, perhaps you could massage them.

RESPONSE TO INSULT (from Ajantis and Tiax)
    - I like it when you're nasty to me.
    - You could be somewhat more creative in your insults.

COMPLIMENT (towards Kivan, Ajantis/Xan)
    - You're a very sexy man.
    - I'd love to see what other skills you possess.

RESPONSE TO COMPLIMENT (from Xzar, Khalid and Eldoth)
    - I always love a good compliment.
    - I love it when you speak to me that way!
    - You have about as much appeal as a rotting owl bear!
    - You think that I'd surrendur myself to the likes of you? That's a laugh!

GENERAL DEATH
    - The rest of you should be careful, lest you end up like our unfortunate friend.

UNIQUE DEATH (after Coran's death)
    - Don't die silly elf, I didn't mean all of the things I've said.

Here're all general BG1 quotes for Safana:

INT = I've been looking for. . . strong men like yourselves.
    MOR = Nothing's worth dying for.
    BCY = N/A
    LEA = This is probably the sanest decision this group has ever made.
    TIR = A woman needs her beauty rest.
    BOR = Perhaps we could do something a little more exciting than looking pretty.
    HUR = I'm hurt, stop what you're doing and help me now.
    DMG = *Damage Sound*
    DYN = *Death Sound*

Where
    INT = First encounter with NPC
    MOR = Morale Failure
    BCY = Occurs when launching into battle
    LEA = NPC moved to Leader slot
    TIR = Fatigue
    BOR = Idle
    HUR = Takes Damage
    DMG = Damage Sound
    DYN = Death Sound

Here're all BG1 reputation quotes for Safana:

HPY = Mmmmm. I keep very pleasant company.
    ANY = I really think this party needs new leadership.
    SRS = To lead this party, we need someone intelligent, preferably female, and most likely me.
    BRK = I've tried to guide this group in the right direction, but I'm tired of trying. Goodbye.

Where
    HPY = HAPPY
    ANY = UNHAPPY_ANNOYED
    SRS = UNHAPPY_SERIOUS
    BRK = UNHAPPY_BREAKING_POINT

Here're all BG1 selection lines for Safana:

CMN = Yes dear?
    CMN = I'll do anything.
    CMN = I feel so sensual.
    RAR = Between two evils I always choose the one I haven't tried.
    RAR = I love it when you speak to me that way.
    RAR = When I'm good I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm better.
    RAR = Everyone in this party is entitled to my opinion.
    ACT = If that's your desire.
    ACT = With pleasure.
    ACT = Of course, darling.

Where
    CMN = SELECT_COMMON
    RAR = SELECT_RARE
    ACT = SELECT_ACTION

Here's the only BG1 area quote for Safana:

CTY = The city is a beautiful place, so full of the gullible and stupid.

Where
    CTY = AREA_CITY

Other than these, there're no unique banter dialogues for Safana in BG1.

Source:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/11692/list-of-npc-interactions-banters
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished

Instead of these few lines, Safana in SoD has a lot more about her.

Here's just one her starting SoD dialogue:

Safana: Damn you to all Nine Hells, Coran, I swear I'm going to -- Oh, Hello.
    Charname: Greetings. How does this afternoon find you, Safana?
    Safana: It's been less than pleasant thus far, but it's improving by the second. Come in, Charname, come in. Make yourself comfortable.
    Safana: What brings you to my door?
    Charname: A desire to see you isn't sufficient?
    Safana: Nice try, Charname. I've spent the last month with that two-faced elf, Coran. A flattering tongue will get you nowhere. What do you want, really?
    Charname: Your company on a journey north. I go to face the Shining Lade, Caelar Argent.
    Safana: Who?
    Charname: Caelar Argent. We're going to fight her. We'd like your help.
    Safana: "We"? Or "you"?
    Charname: We.
    Safana: You're hurting my feeling, Charname. But I never could say no to you. Then again, I can't think of a single thing you could ask that would make me want to...

This is one dialogue, ONE. Even in this dialogue Safana already says more than nearly during whole BG1. And even in this one dialogue Safana, true to her BG1 lines, speaks about Coran.

And even in this one dialogue Safana already has an innuendo: "We"? Or "you"? and "I never could say no to you. Then again, I can't think of a single thing you could ask that would make me want to..."

There's a lot more of Safana in SoD after that.

A romance for a male charname. A romance with another NPC for a female charname.

And all her lines are voiced in a very sexy manner by Stephanie Wolfe, who stays true to the vanilla voice over work by Diane Pershing.

So, please, stop telling about rewriting Safana in order to be in tune with her original personality.

SoD Safana is very much in tune with BG1 Safana, but with more banters, a romance and voiced lines.

I do not find her true to her bg1 characterization and I am afraid that one dialogue hardly proves the point.

From the broad brush strokes of bg1 she is supposed to be (amongst other things) manipulative and charming and forthright when she cannot get her way or is not interested in doing so.

Her annoyed reaction to Coran is to do with the fact his character as a womaniser and either (1) she cannot get her way with him as she would like (he is somewhat immune to her charms); (2) she sees Coran as her own mirror reflection (a kind of self loathing).
    In any case, it is not correct to extrapolate her general character (as annoying) from her interactions with Coran.

Likewise she has abrasive comments to others she does not find attractive or cannot manipulate (Xzar, Khalid and Eldoth).
    Her comment (Minsc/Edwin/Garrick): "My feet are very sore, perhaps you could massage them." is not an insult but a flirtation.

But all I get from SoD is annoying - although she has 17 cha, I get the impression from the way she talks it is closer to 3.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    bengoshi said:

After hearing once and again ridiculous claims about "changes in Safana", I think I've had enough.

Here're all possible BG1 banters for Safana:

Replies to Coran:

"I assume, Coran, that you think that your elven charms are considerably. Let me enlighten you, they aren't!"
    "Watch what you say, Elf!"
    "I might find you attractive, Coran, if you weren't so irritating."

INSULT towards Minsc/Edwin/Garrick
    - My feet are very sore, perhaps you could massage them.

RESPONSE TO INSULT (from Ajantis and Tiax)
    - I like it when you're nasty to me.
    - You could be somewhat more creative in your insults.

COMPLIMENT (towards Kivan, Ajantis/Xan)
    - You're a very sexy man.
    - I'd love to see what other skills you possess.

RESPONSE TO COMPLIMENT (from Xzar, Khalid and Eldoth)
    - I always love a good compliment.
    - I love it when you speak to me that way!
    - You have about as much appeal as a rotting owl bear!
    - You think that I'd surrendur myself to the likes of you? That's a laugh!

GENERAL DEATH
    - The rest of you should be careful, lest you end up like our unfortunate friend.

UNIQUE DEATH (after Coran's death)
    - Don't die silly elf, I didn't mean all of the things I've said.

Here're all general BG1 quotes for Safana:

INT = I've been looking for. . . strong men like yourselves.
    MOR = Nothing's worth dying for.
    BCY = N/A
    LEA = This is probably the sanest decision this group has ever made.
    TIR = A woman needs her beauty rest.
    BOR = Perhaps we could do something a little more exciting than looking pretty.
    HUR = I'm hurt, stop what you're doing and help me now.
    DMG = *Damage Sound*
    DYN = *Death Sound*

Where
    INT = First encounter with NPC
    MOR = Morale Failure
    BCY = Occurs when launching into battle
    LEA = NPC moved to Leader slot
    TIR = Fatigue
    BOR = Idle
    HUR = Takes Damage
    DMG = Damage Sound
    DYN = Death Sound

Here're all BG1 reputation quotes for Safana:

HPY = Mmmmm. I keep very pleasant company.
    ANY = I really think this party needs new leadership.
    SRS = To lead this party, we need someone intelligent, preferably female, and most likely me.
    BRK = I've tried to guide this group in the right direction, but I'm tired of trying. Goodbye.

Where
    HPY = HAPPY
    ANY = UNHAPPY_ANNOYED
    SRS = UNHAPPY_SERIOUS
    BRK = UNHAPPY_BREAKING_POINT

Here're all BG1 selection lines for Safana:

CMN = Yes dear?
    CMN = I'll do anything.
    CMN = I feel so sensual.
    RAR = Between two evils I always choose the one I haven't tried.
    RAR = I love it when you speak to me that way.
    RAR = When I'm good I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm better.
    RAR = Everyone in this party is entitled to my opinion.
    ACT = If that's your desire.
    ACT = With pleasure.
    ACT = Of course, darling.

Where
    CMN = SELECT_COMMON
    RAR = SELECT_RARE
    ACT = SELECT_ACTION

Here's the only BG1 area quote for Safana:

CTY = The city is a beautiful place, so full of the gullible and stupid.

Where
    CTY = AREA_CITY

Other than these, there're no unique banter dialogues for Safana in BG1.

Source:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/11692/list-of-npc-interactions-banters
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished

Instead of these few lines, Safana in SoD has a lot more about her.

Here's just one her starting SoD dialogue:

Safana: Damn you to all Nine Hells, Coran, I swear I'm going to -- Oh, Hello.
    Charname: Greetings. How does this afternoon find you, Safana?
    Safana: It's been less than pleasant thus far, but it's improving by the second. Come in, Charname, come in. Make yourself comfortable.
    Safana: What brings you to my door?
    Charname: A desire to see you isn't sufficient?
    Safana: Nice try, Charname. I've spent the last month with that two-faced elf, Coran. A flattering tongue will get you nowhere. What do you want, really?
    Charname: Your company on a journey north. I go to face the Shining Lade, Caelar Argent.
    Safana: Who?
    Charname: Caelar Argent. We're going to fight her. We'd like your help.
    Safana: "We"? Or "you"?
    Charname: We.
    Safana: You're hurting my feeling, Charname. But I never could say no to you. Then again, I can't think of a single thing you could ask that would make me want to...

This is one dialogue, ONE. Even in this dialogue Safana already says more than nearly during whole BG1. And even in this one dialogue Safana, true to her BG1 lines, speaks about Coran.

And even in this one dialogue Safana already has an innuendo: "We"? Or "you"? and "I never could say no to you. Then again, I can't think of a single thing you could ask that would make me want to..."

There's a lot more of Safana in SoD after that.

A romance for a male charname. A romance with another NPC for a female charname.

And all her lines are voiced in a very sexy manner by Stephanie Wolfe, who stays true to the vanilla voice over work by Diane Pershing.

So, please, stop telling about rewriting Safana in order to be in tune with her original personality.

SoD Safana is very much in tune with BG1 Safana, but with more banters, a romance and voiced lines.

Sorry, but the differences look even clearer than ever now that you've posted them side-by-side. Even when insulted in BG1, Safana may still try to endear herself/manipulate the other NPC, whereas SoD Safana is just generally snarky and off-putting all around (and BTW, "My feet are very sore, perhaps you could massage them," is NOT an insult). SoD basically turned Safana into Viconia.

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    edited April 2016

Sorry, but the differences look even clearer than ever now that you've posted them side-by-side. Even when insulted in BG1, Safana may still try to endear herself/manipulate the other NPC, whereas SoD Safana is just generally snarky and off-putting all around (and BTW, "My feet are very sore, perhaps you could massage them," is NOT an insult). SoD basically turned Safana into Viconia.

You say snarky and off-putting differences between depictions toe-may-toes!

I say elaborating on a previously unexplored gap between canon BG1 biography/dialogue and BG2 dialogue in a satisfying and well-written way that doesn't deviate from either of Baldur's Gate canon sources in any way but in fact bridges the two to provide a previously lacking explanation via hints in her characterization toh-mah-tahs!

Good thing SoD is such a juicy, delicious vegetab...uh...fruit? Plant, anyway.
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52
    Look. Why don't we just post a trigger warning for all of the conservatives who may be offended by Mizhena. It's clearly needed to keep some people from being traumatized to the very cores of their souls.

I mean, do you have ANY idea how delicious I would find that? Not to mention lusciously ironic that the *right* so sorely needs one?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    bengoshi said:

SoD basically turned Safana into Viconia.

I'm sorry, but no. Viconia would never (except for late ToB if in romance) admit to not be able to say no to charname. It just contradicts her character, her independent role, her drow nature.

Safana flirts with charname right after seeing him in the doorway of her inn room. It's very well in line with Safana in BG1. I don't see any difference and it doesn't look like Viconia at all.

And now, about Safana-Coran relationship.

As shown above, BG1 had only a handful of banters between them. And it's completely understandable that during several weeks of more close relations Safana could find out Coran better. So, "a silly elf" from BG1 could very much turn into someone who she wants to "damto to Nine Hells". No matter, how much a woman wants to be *sensual* (using the BG1 terminology), if her man acts wrong all time, she can become really angry at him.
    Furthermore...Coran the adventurer who spends every minute fighting for his life against the terrors of the sword coast is probably a very different Coran who has R&R in the city.

Traveling through the cloakwood and you are the only Cha17 female around? I'm sure you'll have his attention.

Just had a hard day fighting werewolves and you want your feet rubbed? I'm sure he'll do it.

A few weeks of him having nothing to do, gold to spend, and all of a major city before him? Yeah, different dynamics.

Makes sense to me that he'd go from 'silly elf' to 'damn him'