Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I can't play 3d games they make me throw up :(
    lroumenGrammarsalad
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

I AM SO PLEASED! This means we players won't have to create (or wait for others to create) tools in order to make it even *possible* to mod BG3/BGNext/WhateverIt'sCalled.

JuliusBorisovRavenslightsparkleav
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

Hmmmm... could it be related to anything that is being discussed in this thread? ;)
    Fresh to the fold and you're becoming as cryptic as the best of them :wink:
    GenderNihilismGirdlemlneveserapsam2003JuliusBorisov
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Chris Avellone is always cryptic.
  • LegendaryLegendary Member Posts: 53

What a sad ending for Charname.

I agree, but I like that about it! It'd be especially impactful if you're a DM running players who've played Baldur's Gate through the module. I'd so love to be like "what were your favourite playthroughs?" during character creation and then cobble together a "canon for your home game" version of charname in collaboration with your players while they're making their characters for your homegame so that having them meet the Bhaalspawn Grand Duke/Duchess before it all goes down would feel more personal.
    I usually use Abdel as a template to represent Baldur's Gate kind of like how Shepard represents Mass Effect. The novels were awful, but that doesn't mean you can't use his name and appearance to represent the most likely path through the game.

Anyway for anyone who hasn't ran it, I do HIGHLY recommend Murder in Baldur's Gate, which is the name of this module.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2016
    It may or may be not related to projects discussed in this thread:

Chris Avellone was a guest on a podcast called "My Favourite Game" and mentioned, besides other things, he was currently working not only on TToN and Divinity: OS 2, but also on a host of other games that he couldn't talk about yet:

"There's a range of stuff that I'm working on, these two [TTON, DOS2] are the ones I can talk about".
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    What is TTON?

Chris Avellone deserves more recognition in the videogame world.
    CrevsDaak
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Are they sacrificing virgins to the Dark Lord again?
    mlnevesebrusAedanJuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Looks up. I don't think so... The stars aren't right...
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited May 2016
    Southpaw said:

Are they sacrificing virgins to the Dark Lord again?
    Vallmyr said:

You fools! 'Tis not the stars to look for but the very forums themselves! The amount of black magic on this forum is increasing at an alarming rate- WE ARE THE SACRIFICES!

Am I going to point out the only logical explanation of this or does anyone else want to have a pass?
    ThacoBellNimran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited May 2016
    Does this mean using Cryengine or Unreal engine 4 ?

brus said:

Does this mean using Cryengine or Unreal engine 4 ?

I don't think Cryengine would be a good candidate for BG3/BGNext/whatever. But Unreal Engine 4 would be a great candidate, imho.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    5e is fine i think but 3d fps/3rd person does not capture my fancy. I am stuck on isometric 3d.
    GynsburgheGrammarsaladCrevsDaak
    lroumen said:

5e is fine i think but 3d fps/3rd person does not capture my fancy. I am stuck on isometric 3d.

Unreal Engine 4 allows this.
    GrammarsaladCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Chris Avellone commented on an art based on Planescape:

Trent Oster answered:

ButtercheeseCrevsDaak
    I don't really know that a comment on art has any bearing, one way or the other, on their new project. /shrug
    CrevsDaak
    edited June 2016

So everything we knew about the prophecy, as explained to us in Throne of Bhaal by the Solar AND Bhaal's spirit AND Melissan, Bhaal's high priestess in charge of his resurrection, just gets thrown out the window. Those were the most reliable authorities we could possibly have, and their words mean nothing.

[snip]

Hahaha, you really don't know what's reliable in D&D and what's not, do you?! What's canon is basically what TSR writes. That's canon, regardless of what other sources (such as games or adventures) write. TSR wanted the Dead Three to come back, so they did. /shrug

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Video games are not considered canon. Books and novels however are.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2016
    deltago said:

Indeed. In fact canonically
    Abdel Adrian finished off Melissan by punching her repeatedly and then throwing her into the Throne of Bhaal's pulsating pillar. Also I don't think Melissan is ever called anything other than Melissan. There are a bunch of other differences as well between the game and the Throne of Bhaal novel (like the party sneaking into the city of Saradush by way of the sewers).
    SethDavisCrevsDaak
    edited June 2016
    deltago said:

And they would be no way to make video games canon, because there's guaranteed to be more than 1 ending. Any book that TSR creates and/or blesses? That's definitely canon. For instance, anything that WotC creates, TSR has to bless it.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    And just to drive home how amateurish and fanfic-esque (in the worst connotation of that term) WotC's efforts are - that "other last Bhaalspawn assassin" is Viekang. Yes, that Viekang. I suppose that makes as much sense as Abdel having sex with Bodhi.
    CrevsDaakThanatosZero
    edited June 2016
    shawne said:

And just to drive home how amateurish and fanfic-esque (in the worst connotation of that term) WotC's efforts are - that "other last Bhaalspawn assassin" is Viekang. Yes, that Viekang. I suppose that makes as much sense as Abdel having sex with Bodhi.

WotC didn't sanction bringing the Dead Three back; TSR did. So, get over it. The book, of course, is an abomination of literature, but it is technically canon.
    Post edited by rapsam2003 on
    CrevsDaak