Skip to content

I hate cats!

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
Oh, my, I never thought I'd say something so horrible in my life. My poor little real life cat looks at me all sad since I told her. What I hate, actually, are Baldur's Gate cats. I'm Chaotic Neutral, and that's the familiar you get with this alignment. I don't know about the others, but cats are worse than useless. They are weak as... well, weak as kitten, and their only advantage is that they are good at hiding in the shadows and scouting. But if you already have a thief with decent stealth in your party (as we all do), that advantage disappears. At that point, they are only good to be micromanaged to stay out of trouble. The moment you forget to micromanage him, he will die on you after just two blows, which will hurt, cripple, and sometimes even kill your main character.

So, as much as I hate saying this, I want to get rid of my cat. Is somebody willing to adopt a lovely cat? Alternatively, can someone tell me how to get rid of the f***** critter without getting the penalty to CON? I certainly accept cheating as a valid solution.
Post edited by Alonso on

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Maybe use EEKeeper to change it to a fairy dragon or something better?
    semiticgoddess
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I have two things to say to you, and apologies beforehand if this sounds condescending, as I do not mean for it to be.

1. The cat is a Chaotic Neutral familiar. Either you have made a mistake, or you're using a mod.
    2. All the familiars (with the possible exception of the imp which has its own problem) are basically that weak. If anything, I'd say that the cat is among the more useful of the lot. I wouldn't rule the little bugger out just yet, but if you must, you can forcetalk it to place it in your inventory.
    SmilingSword
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited June 2016
    Yes, sorry, I'm Chaotic Neutral. Neutral Good was my first approach, I decided to change it at the last minute.

Thanks you for the advice, I didn't know you could talk to it, let alone store it in your backpack. That solved the problem. I was ready to spend quite a while learning how to do it with EEKeeper.

As for the advantages of the familiar, I guess he might be useful for scouting outside until my thief reaches 100% hide in the shadows. But that advantage doesn't seem to make up for the hassle of micromanaging him every time there's the slightest form of danger around.

Cats are totally evil.

NO WAY! Cats are the loveliest and more interesting creatures on earth. But I must insist on that last part: "on earth". Outside the earth, in the Forgotten Realms, they tend to be just annoying.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    @Alonso - u have a mod, or be this a charming agitprot?

I'm of an opinion that cat lovers are level-headed in their own way: they will love a pet that does not elevate humans as indisputable leaders.

Healthy attitude all around, I say.

I'd have meanwhile a much more stringent attitude in Norway. Their natural forest-feline is under threat from pet mix-breeding that could easily be stopped. (Neuter domestic cats, or do not let out to wonder.)
    edited June 2016
    TStael said:

@Alonso - u have a mod, or be this a charming agitprot?

No mods. My cat is a familiar (both in the game and in real life). You summon him with the spell Find Familiar and he stays with you forever. But after a while he becomes annoying (both in the game and in real life). It's a part of the Vanilla game. I guess it's not one of the best known spells.

Given all the similarities, I wonder if I could convince my real life cat to stay in my backpack for a while instead of popping in at the most inconvenient times.
    Post edited by Alonso on
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    Have you tried to do any Wild Mage quests yet? :) I am sure you will love them!
    FinnTheHuman
    Well, I did the wild mage quests in BG1 and I'm just starting those in BG2, but I can't remember seeing any cats...
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    It's in BG2, you start it at the camp and you will know it when you see it ;)

It's by far the most painful quest there too...
    FinnTheHumanAlonso
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    It isn't bad if you do two or at most three at a time. More than that and you end up getting back with less or even none.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Alonso said:

Cats are totally evil.

NO WAY! Cats are the loveliest and more interesting creatures on earth. But I must insist on that last part: "on earth". Outside the earth, in the Forgotten Realms, they tend to be just annoying.
    Troodon80 said:

Alonso said:

I hate cats!

Cats are totally evil.

Please leave the internet. :-)

I'm joking. :P
    I offer this evidence to the jury as to the evilness of cats.

JuliusBorisovFinnTheHumanBlackorb
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited June 2016
    All this cat hate is making my cat mad...

JuliusBorisovBlackorbRodrian
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I never said I HATED them, I just said they were evil. It's like saying a politician is a liar. Redundancy.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2016
    Cats do have a cruel streak, they play with their prey, like torturing mice/birds by slowly devouring them.
    I heard a saying 'The reason why the pet cats don't do the same to their owners is because they are too small and we are too big. That's the only reason stopping them.'
    They are totally cute and playful though.
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I was so relieved to see a thread with such a title in General Discussion instead of Off-topic ;) At least it means that you don't hate RL cats.

mf2112BlackorbNimran
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    I like the cat best of all familiars, but I dont like the alignment that comes with it...

Especially when starting in BG1 the cat is very usefull as scout (99 in hiding) and has pretty good magic resistance.
    The other familiars may have slightly better combat stats, but that doesn't make them viable fighters. Especially with perma death looming over every battle.

Bonus Picture

JuliusBorisovBlackorb
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited June 2016
    People actually use familiars for something besides 15 bonus hp?

I speak to them once and put them in my pack, from Candlekeep all the way to the Throne of Bhaal.
    Post edited by SmilingSword on
    semiticgoddessVbibbi
    Such a funny thread (in both senses). Seriously, I never expected it would spark this hilarious debate on cats evilness! :D
    JuliusBorisovBlackorb
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2016

Btw cats are not evil :'(
    JuliusBorisovVbibbiAlonsoSmilingSword
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Cats are without a doubt the most diabolical little balls of fur and hatred in the world.

Ferrets, on the other hand? Totally trustworthy! :blush:
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • userunfriendlyuserunfriendly Member Posts: 39
    Nimran said:

Cats are without a doubt the most diabolical little balls of fur and hatred in the world.

Ferrets, on the other hand? Totally trustworthy! :blush:

YES!!! Ferrets are best familiar...they can smuggle out drow equipment from the underdark for you... cats consider my bag of holding a chew toy...
    CrevsDaakNimran
    I'm just thinking that after spending hundreds (maybe thousands?) of hours with BG, I've never tried pickpocketing. It looks like pickpocketing only works if you're ready to reload all the time, and I don't like reloading. Still, I'll give a go with my cat and see what happens.
    edited June 2016
    Alonso said:

I'm just thinking that after spending hundreds (maybe thousands?) of hours with BG, I've never tried pickpocketing. It looks like pickpocketing only works if you're ready to reload all the time, and I don't like reloading. Still, I'll give a go with my cat and see what happens.

you can get ALL sorts of swag from pickpocketing nobles, storekeepers, quest givers, etc.

i think gamefaq has several guides on what you can get from pickpocketing...

in fact, you can sell expensive items, and pickpocket all your stuff back...resell, repeat. (fence in the docks only)

one more..cat has 45% pickpocket, ferret 95%...cats are still evil
    Post edited by userunfriendly on
    Nimran
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    In bgI, you can pickpocket a tome from the priest in the temple of tymora; unless you'd rather run errands for the priestess of umberlee, that is.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @userunfriendly I like you. Have a :cookie:.
    Nimran said:

@userunfriendly I like you. Have a :cookie:.

Thank you! nom, nom, nom... :smiley: