Skip to content

V2.3 is here! (BG:EE, BGII:EE, and Siege of Dragonspear)

Comments

• CaptainTingTangCaptainTingTang Member Posts: 36

Have you tried the alternate rendering setting that is available in the graphic options (if you are on Windows)? It's last setting there, activates the directX rendering instead of OpenGL and may solve problems with openGL drivers for your graphics card. You have to restart the game to see if something changes.

That's just to test if this would solve it for you fast – bug fixing still preferred of course.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it still occurs with the DirectX renderer... :(
  • Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54
    Greetings and thank you for continuing to work on and fix a wonderful set of games I personally, and apparently so many others, have and continue to enjoy today!

Would it be feasible to fix the following issues:
    01) When 'Party AI' is toggled on, my mages cast every memorized spell they have regardless of strategy or what I want them to do; however, if I toggle 'Party AI' off, some of my characters stop attacking foes (which at times are standing right next to them, beating on them)! >_<

02) If it is not too much to ask, I would love to see the 'Tainted Ore' and 'Vial of Ore Tainting Chemicals' actually have quests that require them to be turned in for rep, exp, rewards, etc.?

Thank you for your time and attention, and once more, thank you, thank you for bringing new life to games I love so much!

-Iron
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

Greetings and thank you for continuing to work on and fix a wonderful set of games I personally, and apparently so many others, have and continue to enjoy today!

01) When 'Party AI' is toggled on, my mages cast every memorized spell they have regardless of strategy or what I want them to do; however, if I toggle 'Party AI' off, some of my characters stop attacking foes (which at times are standing right next to them, beating on them)! >_<

02) If it is not too much to ask, I would love to see the 'Tainted Ore' and 'Vial of Ore Tainting Chemicals' actually have quests that require them to be turned in for rep, exp, rewards, etc.?

Thank you for your time and attention, and once more, thank you, thank you for bringing new life to games I love so much!

-Iron

Not sure on 1. but the Unfinished Business mod adds the quests for those 2 items and more.
    Gate70JuliusBorisov
  • lum1nlum1n Member Posts: 17
    excuse me, but when icewind dale is going to be patched?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    It seems they're currently still planning a version 2.4 update. Considering they're already planning that, it's likely they'll release that first, and make sure it's stable and what they want, before they start rolling out the 2.4 version to IWDEE and BGEE/BGIIEE for other platforms.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Thels said:

It seems they're currently still planning a version 2.4 update. Considering they're already planning that, it's likely they'll release that first, and make sure it's stable and what they want, before they start rolling out the 2.4 version to IWDEE and BGEE/BGIIEE for other platforms.

Especially so because the update focuses on issues in all infinity engine games.
    JuliusBorisov
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    It would be really nice if 2.4 come out soon. According to redmine the fixes for
    • Bug #23665: Clubs in the character sheet
    • Bug #23589: Clubs should show under weapon proficencies, not Fighting styles
    are ready for over a month while
    • Bug 24093: Save game import list should not be empty
    is sadly not fixed yet.
  • FoxterFoxter Member Posts: 20
    Let's not forget the engine fixes that affect all games.

http://redmine.beamdog.com/projects/external-bugs/issues??per_page=100&query_id=129
    Varwulf
    edited August 2016
    Mr2150 said:

@Ironhammer33

For 1 - With each character, open the record screen, select Customise, Choose Script and you will see the following screen:

Here is where you can choose what each character can do and can't do...

On the left hand side is a set of premade scripts that you can use. On the right-hand side is a list of things that the ADVANCED AI setting (on the left) can do. You can switch on/off any items you don't want your characters to perform (eg - I always switch off offensive and defensive spells because I want to decide when the characters use them).
    Thank you so much Mr2150! I thought I had seen these options years ago when the games were first released but I could not find them presently! You rock.

Edit: For accidentally quoting Mr2150 three times. :blush:
    Mr2150
    I have also found that when one has the inventory screen open, and you switch the active party member with any other party member, the newly chosen party member's inventory screen is not displayed despite hearing the newly selected party member's voice.
    mf2112 said:

-Iron

Not sure on 1. but the Unfinished Business mod adds the quests for those 2 items and more.
    Thank you for responding to my inquiry as well mf2112.

01) Are we "allowed" to download and install the Unfinished Business mod without affecting our installed game? Is this a mod produced or approved by Beamdog, etc?

02) Where might I find said mod, and possibly any other, acceptable and/or (Beamdog) approved mods?

Good gaming!
    -Iron
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited August 2016
    Inventory Issue - never noticed this myself so I can't comment on it.

No mods are 'official' in the sense they are approved, however Beamdog do support modding and there are active modding forums on this site. You can find download links in the forums - usually a stickied thread has a list of all compatible mods. I always use Unfinished Business and it works great.

What you can do is take a copy of the entire game folder and copy it elsewhere and then you have a 'vanilla' unmodded install and you can use the copy to install your mods. Note - you can't use save games between the two installs as it may have unpredictable results.

If you bought the game from GOG or Steam and have BGEE+ SOD you will need to install something called modmerge before you install any mods.
    Post edited by Mr2150 on
    AlonsoAstroBryGuy
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Mr2150 said:

If you bought the game from GOG or Steam you will need to install something called modmerge before you install any mods.

I have the GOG version and I've had a lot of problems trying to install SCS on BG2EE 2.3. Eventually I just used a workaround, copying somebody else's SCS folder to my installation folder. On the other hand, Tweaks installed fine. Would this modmerge solve the problem with my SCS installation?
    edited August 2016
    Mr2150 said:

Inventory Issue - never noticed this myself so I can't comment on it.

No mods are 'official' in the sense they are approved, however Beamdog do support modding and there are active modding forums on this site. You can find download links in the forums - usually a stickied thread has a list of all compatible mods. I always use Unfinished Business and it works great.

What you can do is take a copy of the entire game folder and copy it elsewhere and then you have a 'vanilla' unmodded install and you can use the copy to install your mods. Note - you can't use save games between the two installs as it may have unpredictable results.

If you bought the game from GOG or Steam you will need to install something called modmerge before you install any mods.

Thank you very much Mr2150! I will try your suggestion now.

@Mr2150

I am staring at my Steam Folder and none of the files within said folder say Baldur's Gate. I did however find that if I opened 'Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common' there is a Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition "folder" there. Is that the folder I should place in a blank folder somewhere else on my PC?

edited August 2016
    @Ironhammer33

Yup - my Steam path is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

I can copy that whole folder as follows:
    Original :> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    Copy 1 :> C:\Users\*Account Name*\Desktop\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

And 'Copy 1' can be run directly by double-clicking baldur.exe ... so I can do anything I like to Copy 1 without it impacting the Original install. I'd let Steam always update the Original to the latest version and keep it as a clean install, and then use the Copy for any mods.

You can put the copy wherever is most convenient for you.

@Alonso + @Ironhammer33
    Details of modmerge tool can be found here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Note: Modmerge is needed before you install mods on an install of (BGEE + SoD) purchased from GOG or Steam. Reasoning (very basically) is that GOG and Steam manage the SOD additional campaign as a DLC rather than a standard part of the game. You don't need it if you have BGEE / BG2EE only (no SOD), or if you bought from Beamdog directly.

Alonsomf2112
    @Mr2150

Awe-SOME!!!!

Thank you!
    Yeah, the "making a copy of your BG folder and mod the copy" is a safe option to go. First off, if you installed SteamLibrary/Baldur's Gate in their default locations, they're in your program files, which is really not mod friendly. Secondly, if you play from a copy rather than the original game, you won't "lose" your setup when a new update comes out.
    Alonso
    Thels said:

Yeah, the "making a copy of your BG folder and mod the copy" is a safe option to go. First off, if you installed SteamLibrary/Baldur's Gate in their default locations, they're in your program files, which is really not mod friendly. Secondly, if you play from a copy rather than the original game, you won't "lose" your setup when a new update comes out.

@Thels

That is phenomenal advice! I hadn't even considered that.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my inquiry!
    -Iron
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Mr2150 said:

Modmerge is needed before you install mods on an install of (BGEE + SoD) purchased from GOG or Steam. Reasoning (very basically) is that GOG and Steam manage the SOD additional campaign as a DLC rather than a standard part of the game. You don't need it if you have BGEE / BG2EE only (no SOD), or if you bought from Beamdog directly.

Thank you for the clarification. However, following the reasoning, my game, bought from GOG, includes Hexxat and the other new characters, which I think are considered DLC. Doesn't that create the same DLC problem?
    The bonus characters are only DLC on mobile devices (that have a lower price for the base game, but together with the DLC packages, come out at the same price). They're part of the base game on PC/MAC.

The problems are only when using the SoD expansion on Steam or GoG. The SoD files are packed away in their own zip file.
    Alonso
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Technically, the extra characters (Hexxat, Dorn, and Neera) are "In-App Purchases", not DLC. Siege of Dragonspear is DLC.
    Mr2150Alonso
    edited August 2016
    @Dee + @Mr2150 + @Thels + @Isaya

Ok. I am sorry but I have been researching this particular question for over three hours now on this amazing site and I still am very unsure what to do.

01) I have copied each of the titles I purchased from Steam, namely - BG:EE, BG2:EE, and IWD:EE, and placed them in a separate "games to be modded" folder. Awesome.

02) I have downloaded a few of the mods found in the main 'General Modding' Forum, namely - BG1UB, BG1NPC, and BGIISoA.

/sigh...

How do I install/run the mods? I don't understand. I have read I am supposed to download and run a WeIDU (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee/p8) quote following:
    Isaya said:

@mashedtaters WeiDU (which is the software hidden under the name setup-XXX.exe in the mods) has a built-in way to auto-update if one of the mods already in the game directory uses a newer version that the one used in the mod you're trying to install. There are cases where auto-update doesn't work. And if you install an old mod first, if can't update anyway.
    To ensure you use the latest version for your mods, download WeiDU, extract weidu.exe from the archive and copy it into the game folder. Extract your mods into the game folder. For each mod, delete the setup-XXX.exe file, make a copy of weidu.exe and rename it under the name setup-XXX.exe (replace XXX with the right name for each mod). In order not to make a mistake in the name, copy it before delete the initial file.
    WeiDU has to be told the language you want to use in game. It will ask for it the first time you run it. Open the file weidu.conf in the game directory, if it exists, to check the language you selected. It shall match the hardlink you make, otherwise update the file or change your hardlink.

DLTCEP 7.7 doesn't need a link. It's best to configure it properly so that is uses the file directly in the right language. Go to Settings -> Change settings, then select the right setup if you have several and click on Set WeiDU options. Now click on the "Language" list and select the one you want and check "Use language". Click OK then Save & Back to save your settings.
    Your language choice in DLTCEP shall match your choice in game AND the hardlink you made, if you made any.

and when I searched for a link to download the WeiDU I found this page:
    which suggests we go here:

weidu.org/main.html#weidu and the 'WeiDU_236' link gives me a "404".

So...yeah. It's been over three hours and I have no idea what to do so I don't ruin or misinstall anything.

-Iron
    Wouldn't Weidu.log serve exactly that purpose? It has a nice list of all the mods that you have installed, in order, as well as exactly which components you chose to install.
    Ironhammer33
    It does, and you can use that, for sure... however I find it easier to have a manual list and use the WEIDU.log for troubleshooting only.

Reading through a big WEIDU log after you've installed multiple mods and components with lots of settings can be quite lengthy and tricky if you are not adept at it - a manual log too means you can record extra notes and information as needed for more 'at a glance' remembering. I usually make the manual log whilst the various WEIDU elements are installing rather than watching the window scroll through all the changes.

Whatever works best, I guess...
    Ironhammer33
    @Ravenslight: While I agree it may be helpful to have a general thread to explain on how to properly install mods in BGEE/SoD/BGIIEE/IWDEE, it is important to remember that this is the forum of the Enhanced Editions.

A common rule in guides and such is KISS (Keep It Simple & Straightforward).

If you write a guide that clearly explains from A to Z how to install mods on BGEE/SoD/BGIIEE/IWDEE, you can keep it relatively easy to understand. If you start tossing in alternatives like Tutu, BGT, EET, IWDinBG2 and whatnot, said guide is quickly going to get bloated with excessive information that doesn't apply to the majority of the people reading the thread, and may only confuse them more.

Perhaps if @mlnevese doesn't mind, we could add a more descriptive guide on how to install mods at the top of this thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods/p1
    Mr2150RavenslightIronhammer33JuliusBorisov
    @Ravenslight - I'd say the reason it's a good idea is due to the fact that often a distribution method (depending on your settings) will auto update your installation wiping your mods etc from the install folder and breaking the installation if the override is still intact.

By copying the whole folder, modding it, and then playing from that copied folder you prevent any impact of any auto update process, you can also keep earlier versions of the game (in case you want to revert) and you can finish your current game before you take the step up.

Once you are happy that a new version is stable and you are not currently in a game, then you can repeat the process as needed.
    RavenslightIronhammer33JuliusBorisov