Skip to content

V2.3 is here! (BG:EE, BGII:EE, and Siege of Dragonspear)

Comments

• AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited August 2016
    In my case the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition. The first game from GOG I installed was Planescape:Torment. Don't know if that has anything to do. I don't use the Galaxy client, until now I didn't even know it existed.

Slightly off topic: Does the Galaxy client have any advantage over a simple installation? (Didn't want to create a new thread just to ask this).
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Alonso said:

Slightly off topic: Does the Galaxy client have any advantage over a simple installation? (Didn't want to create a new thread just to ask this).

Auto update, if you're into that sort of thing. Other than that, not really. I think it's technically still in beta. I don't even let it run automatically anymore (or the Steam client for that matter). I just fire it up every couple of weeks and see if anything needs to be updated.
  • Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54
    Alonso said:

I think I'm talking for a lot of people when I say I would appreciate it so much if you create this modding guide. By all means, go for it.

I just merely am not familiar with doing all this.

And, just like you, so many of us. Good of you to keep asking what you don't understand.
    Thank you Alonso.

I am a teacher and I know, firsthand, what it is like to not understand something, to feel as if I will never understand something, and what it feels like to try to help individuals who don't understand to not only *believe* they can understand and to understand to the best of our combined abilities.

I appreciate your comment. Thank you.
    @Mr2150 + @Thels + @BillyYank + @Alonso + @Cahir + @Ravenslight

If I may be so bold as to make a request, which, I presume would require more work than typing out instructions, would it be feasible to create a (YouTube) video of the process for the visual learners (such as myself, although I do believe I have followed all of your instructions to the letter correctly) to view so we have access to a second resource, and in the case of said "visual learners" - as defined by Harvard University Professor Howard Gardner, give them an optimal method to learn what to do.

I am unaware of any legal, or other conditions, or matters a person making said video could or would be held accountable for, if any - I have never made my own video except for use in my classroom, but if someone is willing to undertake the task I could only imagine it would prove truly groundbreaking and beneficial as a whole. :)
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I think this is an excellent idea, but I am not set up to do this sort of thing. Doing a quick initial search for such a tutorial, I was only able to find one explaining how to set up the vanilla versions of the game using the Tutu mod, but not one for the EE editions.

I’m sure having one explaining the basics for setting up the EE editions would be appreciated by many people.

I think this is an excellent idea, but I am not set up to do this sort of thing. Doing a quick initial search for such a tutorial, I was only able to find one explaining how to set up the vanilla versions of the game using the Tutu mod, but not one for the EE editions.

I’m sure having one explaining the basics for setting up the EE editions would be appreciated by many people.

I'm so happy to hear this Ravenslight! If there is something I can do to help let me know.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I’m afraid that you may have misunderstood me @Ironhammer33 I am not personally set up to do this. I would assume that someone would need, recording equipment and know-how, YouTube account, that sort of thing.

I was just saying that I thought it was a good idea, and that I could not find one that had already been made. :)
    @Ravenslight

Oh no, Raven. I did understand you could or would not make the program. I just want to support this idea. :smile:
    @Dee

Greetings once again Dee.

A thought occurred to me and I wanted to know if it was feasible for you and your team to implement a method for players to "truly save" stat rolls during character creation?

I recently rolled up a phenomenal group of characters for my IWD:EE game and whilst leveling my paladin, realized I had made an error during character creation that I cannot now undo. Additionally, as I am exposed to more and more mods I am considering implementing into my Infinity Trilogy of games, I realize that making a character "before I am done installing all said mods" is pointless as each mod will change something which will more than likely make that previous character unplayable.

The main issue, I feel, is re-rolling an 18+ strength for all warrior classes. Ultimately, if we keep rolling we can get the desired number of points to make any other character whose stats reflect what we wish for them, but with warriors that oh so wonderful 18/01 - 00 makes a relatively big difference.

I don't know if "saving" rolled scores for a paladin or ranger, etc. would be feasible but I figured I would ask as I am relatively unaware of how challenging, or feasible, said process would be.

Regardless of the outcome, thank you for your time and attention to my inquiry, and for working on such beloved games.

-Iron
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm not completely sure I understand the premise of your question. Warrior classes roll their exceptional strength number regardless of what number is initially rolled for Strength; just add points to that score from your other abilities, and you'll see the exceptional value.

As for saving stats, I don't know how the other devs would handle it, but for me personally I don't think that saving your stat array would be in the spirit of the chargen system. The point is that you don't know what you're going to get; the game lets you reroll however many times you like, but if you could keep your favorite roll on every character, you'd never bother trying anything new.

That being said, there's a tutorial in the UI Modding section that shows how you can add an "auto-reroll" function to the chargen screen, so that you'll be more likely to get rolls you'll want to use. Check it out.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Alternatively, if you want to go with an exact exceptional strength, you could use EEKeeper to change your stats around.
    @Dee + @Thels

Thank you both!
  • znancekivellznancekivell Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2016
    Any word on another update? Since the last update I haven't been able to play either BG or BG2, neither load off of my Steam center. I've tried everything you can think of, so I can only surmise that something about the latest update is preventing me from syncing the games.

Alas I am... heartbroken. :'(

Working!
    Post edited by znancekivell on
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Do you guys do like a devlog thing where you share what you've been working on that week/month/whatever? Or is it mostly in the news forum here?
    In case you don't know it, you can check http://redmine.beamdog.com/. It certainly doesn't tell you what the developers are doing at any given time, but it does tell you what they have in their to-do list and what they have done already.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    so i hear from the grapevine we are getting anew update. whats the estimate on the date? i have a bg2 playthrough i'm currently doing and rather not get blind sided by an update that forces me to restart.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Copy your installation to another location and play from there. That way updates won't interrupt you.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    v2.4 when??

innocent question ;)
    Don't hold your breath for that one. 2.3 was the last of the 'hotfixes', and they're going to take their time with 2.4 and polish it some more. They also told us it would have a public beta.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @Thels Do you have a source for that info?
    Thanks, completely missed it apparently.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The latest update on the 2.4 patch - "We're taking our time with the 2.4 update for the games."
    According to Redmine version 2.4 has 23 out of 24 issues completed. However, the last update on these is from two months ago. Don't know whether this tells us much about the release itself, though.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    I really hope that they include much more than this in 2.4. Otherwise, they should have release the update two months ago.
  • GallowGallow Member Posts: 4
    I dont mind the length of waiting as long as they fix as much as they can. Custom soundsets selection, bored, sleepy, sounds have been broken for months ever since Dragonspear dropped, it effected all the games across the board, Bg and Bg2.
    edited September 2016
    I've just realized that, according to Redmine, the number of developers for the engine and the four games across all the supported platforms (PC, Mac, iOS and Android I think) is... Two! Not only that, the two guys also have other roles, like manager and reporter. That might be a mistake, but if it's not it might explain why it takes months to fix a few bugs.
  • robertmarkbramrobertmarkbram Member Posts: 28
    Any word on when this update hits iOS?
  • robertmarkbramrobertmarkbram Member Posts: 28

Any word on when this update hits iOS?

Ah, found it:
    lefreut said:

I really hope that they include much more than this in 2.4. Otherwise, they should have release the update two months ago.

I think that if 2.4 is going to be a big update again all the stuff in the next update session will be included and the next update section will be expanded upon.