Skip to content

V2.3 is here! (BG:EE, BGII:EE, and Siege of Dragonspear)

Comments

• RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621

1, 2, and 4 are all fully customizable in options. There are also entire threads in UI Discussion for the sole purpose of voicing what we want changed in the UI in upcoming patches.

1 is, yes. But it brings me to 2. The character models still look way worse than they did in the 1.3 version.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You have no less than 2 different render methods in addition to removing the sprite outlines. The models themselves aren't changed in anyway, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I recall someone posting in the forum maybe a couple months ago that claimed BG vanilla used a different method, not nearest neighbor and not linear, but I don't believe this was substantiated by anyone. I can't find it for now but I am looking.
    Rawgrim
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I understand what he’s talking about. I know nothing about the technical side of things so I can’t tell you why, but I can tell you that the effect is that they do look different. None of the available options fixes that entirely. Of course some like that difference.

Turning the outline off and disabling nearest neighbor scaling helped for me @Rawgrim.
    Cahir said:

mf2112 said:

I recall someone posting in the forum maybe a couple months ago that claimed BG vanilla used a different method, not nearest neighbor and not linear, but I don't believe this was substantiated by anyone. I can't find it for now but I am looking.

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/26800#change-149281

Here you go :)
    Thanks, I knew I had read something about it but couldn't find the original comment, which I now see was just a week ago. Sigh...this has been a helluva week....
    ThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Rawgrim said:

I don't play on Steam. I bought the game from your store. Making an unpatched version available for download, and individual patches available, would fix pretty much everything.

You can get a Steam key as written here. This way you get a solution offered by the company which lets you return to the 1.3 version.

There's a separate subforum, https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/ui-discussion-and-workshop, created to discuss ways to improve the current UI. Ideas (and, to tell the truth, not only ideas, but detailed explanations on how to make the games better) shared there are being looked at by the developers.
    ThacoBellmf2112lolien
    And there is no DRM on BG that you get from Steam, if you copy the contents of this folder somewhere else or just run Baldur.exe from here you won't see Steam.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    lolien
    Doesm't nearest neighbor smooth the sprites over a bit? I recall them looking blockier in older patches.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Nearest neighbor makes them sharper but all raggedy edged for me. With it off, they look smoother but washed out. I’m not overly fond of either look.
    lolienRawgrim
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    We could ask for more variants ... Don't smooth the RGB pixels, but smooth the transparency pixels, making the edges soft but the visible forms blocky :) Just thinking ...
    The way the characters look in the EE version of Icewind Dale is how they used to look in the EE version of BG. Which was perfect.
    Ravenslight

Nearest neighbor makes them sharper but all raggedy edged for me. With it off, they look smoother but washed out. I’m not overly fond of either look.

Exactly. They either look like some pixely mess, or characters copied and pasted in from Ultima 8. Either way they don't look like they "belong" on the screen. They don't mix well with the background artwork.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    "Perfect" is quite relative for that lowres sprites.
    I could agree to "as we were used to"
    kanisathaDaevelonThacoBellRawgrim
    I think the new sprites look so much better.
    kanisatha
    I got a Steam key from Beamdog now.

Question. Where do I actually pick the 1.3 version? The only option I got was "Install game"
    Ignore that last bit. I think I figured it out. Need to wait 20 minutes for Steam updates to finish now, so I can try it.

Hence why I don't like Steam.
    ThacoBell
    Update: Works perfectly. 1.3 in all its glory.
    RavenslightThacoBelllolien

"Perfect" is quite relative for that lowres sprites.
    I could agree to "as we were used to"

When the sales pitch is aimed at nostalgia "as we were used to" is important.
    RavenslightConjurerDragon
    mf2112 said:

And there is no DRM on BG that you get from Steam, if you copy the contents of this folder somewhere else or just run Baldur.exe from here you won't see Steam.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Nope. No such folder on my computer. Installed Steam to a custom folder but it has no Games folder in it. The games went somewhere else.
    Well, wherever it did install to then. :) If you go to that folder and run Baldur.exe then you don't touch Steam at all.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    How do I revert to V 1.3 again? I just got a new computer and installed the game, but I haven't played for a while and I forget the procedure.
    FrdNwsm said:

How do I revert to V 1.3 again? I just got a new computer and installed the game, but I haven't played for a while and I forget the procedure.

How did you purchase the game? From Beamdog, or Steam, or somewhere else?
    JuliusBorisov
    Steam, I believe
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    FrdNwsm said:

FrdNwsm said:

Steam, I believe

Right Click on BG (1 or 2) in Steam -> properties -> betas -> Select 1.3 in the dropdown menu
    lolien
    Gracias
    Umm, when I do that (select bgiiee_1.3), it asks me for a beta access code code, which I don't seem to have. Any idea what it might be?
    Never mind; it seems to have worked even without the beta access code.

:smiley:
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    I only have one question: has the melfs/5apr bug been fixed yet? If so which patch was the one that addressed this bug? It's one of the reasons why I stopped playing EE
    edited October 2016
    @ithildurnew Yes, that bug was presented by the 1.3.2064 version of the game and it's fixed in any 2.X patch. The current version of the game is 2.3.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Rodrianmf2112