Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    GL with your f/t, @Grond0. I remember you lost one to Kuo-Toa...
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    edited October 2016
    Grond0 said:

Groan. I had killed Sarevok and virtually finished BG1 - would have been about 1 hour 40 to arrive in Jon's dungeon this time - and was just picking up the last tome from Durlag's Tower. In my haste to finish I tried to disarm the trap guarding the tome - forgetting that one can't be disarmed (at least in BGT). I still think I was pretty unlucky there though - first with my find traps score of 100 setting the trap off rather than just not disarming it and then actually getting charmed with a save vs spell of 1.

It is now just about breakfast time so I'll have a little break for that and then have one final go - perhaps trying to moderate speed with a bit more caution ...

Grond0 - isn't this a dire charm trap? -2 penalty to saves right? Also wouldn't that be a great time to use the greenstone amulet?
    @Corey_Russell

Trap there casts a custom spell at you, save is made at no bonus or penalty. Bad luck :/

I've started a new game with a f/m/c, archer and a dragon disciple, but I'll leave that for later - I'm doing a fresh BGT install with only Ascension installed - gonna try @Grond0 's challenge.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,323

Grond0 - isn't this a dire charm trap? -2 penalty to saves right? Also wouldn't that be a great time to use the greenstone amulet?

I never acquired that, but I had plenty of options - magic blocking, invulnerability, protection from magic - I just slipped into autopilot "thieves should disarm traps" mode for a moment.
    Aasim said:

@Corey_Russell
    I've started a new game with a f/m/c, archer and a dragon disciple, but I'll leave that for later - I'm doing a fresh BGT install with only Ascension installed - gonna try @Grond0 's challenge.

Doctor come quickly - the contagion is spreading :blush:

Best of luck. Hope you don't have one of those unfortunate moments when you suddenly jerk awake to find a lich has snuck up on your character and is about to finish casting ...
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Grond0 said:

I never acquired that, but I had plenty of options - magic blocking, invulnerability, protection from magic - I just slipped into autopilot "thieves should disarm traps" mode for a moment.
    What's curious is I think that trap has taken you out quite a few times - maybe 1/2 dozen? Perhaps just several but more than 2 anyways - it's a familiar screenshot. : ) And I love the magic blocking potion, wish they had it for BG 2.
    P.S.
    Run-time of BG1 was from 18:00 - 22:00, with few breaks, so give or take 2,30 hours.
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    @Aasim, that's impressive. Go Bastardo!
    Aasim said:

@Grond0

Out of curiosity, did you call this "Ascension in a day" since you play with Ascension mod or is it just "ascension to Godhood in a day" thing?

Well done Aasim - almost there now! The reference to Ascension was just a general one - I don't have the Ascension mod installed on that setup.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,858
    Grond0 said:

Aasim said:

I tend to do half of it, doing everything except giving love the wine. .

This. Give wine unprepared, even prepared,and you'll likely die. I don't know about "Non-Improved Durlag's
    Tower" but with SCS Pride/Love battle is arguably harder than Sarevok finale.
    You can do the warders easily with a single character protected against magic (or just fire and lightning) - simply run them a few times through the passage with the repeating traps and watch the invisible attackers turn into crisped bodies on the floor ...
    A tactic that I have used many a time. Problem is that you lose out on some experience, but not that much.
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    Bard- 1

Another slow start,

I let the guards do all the work at FAi then we asked Imoen to step out as Sarah kited the first Battle horror... I could do with a cleric or Mage?
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2016
    Cavan has escaped from his captor, only to have Imoen engage in an unsanctioned use of magical energy.... Now he's hanging out on the Promenade trying to figure out where to start looking for the Cowled Wizards' prison.

(I'm not sure what the Item Randomizer has done in this setup, but I was pleased to find Varscona and Sarevok's sword of chaos in Jon's dungeon. And the usual wands + potions. Now I just have to remember to stay out of hidden lich closets as I explore the city and things should be good for a while...)
    Aasim said:

@Grond0

Crap. I misuderstood you. :) I installed it. Ah well, Bastardo is no more. Did a lot of stuff, including killing Kangaxx with Rynn staff. What happened I blame on fatigue - I had to use 2x Pro Magic scroll to kill him, 1st one expired since I had to "unlock" the sewer entrance to guardian lich by talking to helmites, then I stopped to kill Tarnor etc.
    This woulnd't be horrible per se, but I've managed to kill Kangaxx with a lot of duration left on Pro Magic scroll.
    I tought, what is the best quest to do now? Figures, XP reward is best with Beholders. Unfortunately, Pro Magic doesn't stop melee bashing, and in my race to kill Unseeing before Pro Magic expires, Bastardo got locked in, no invis potions left (last one used to kill Rengaard, he cast Slay Living); Gaxx Ring comes with no charges, and taaa-daaa.

Btw - is there a specific challenge to fighter/thief or can I use a different class? I also have Baldurdash installed (non-weidu version); Ascension, unlimited stacks from tweaks, and DBgone (hope the install is "vanilla" enough to be valid!)

Hard luck Aasim - tiredness does tend to be a factor in that challenge :'(

With Bastardo gone you can presumably uninstall Ascension without problems now ...

I had no intention of setting the challenge for a specific character. I chose the fighter/thief when thinking about it originally on the grounds that:
    - for many combats he could just attack in melee (saving brain strain for more difficult encounters)
    - stealth offers a quick way to bypass some encounters to save time
    - theft allows unlimited resources to be acquired more quickly than picking up all treasure from encounters
    - thief traps would allow some later enemies to be dealt with quickly (I particularly had Mel in mind there)

Incidentally I'm not sure that using the protection from magic scroll is safe with beholders. If they killed you in melee then probably it is, but I've definitely been killed in the past by a death ray from Vaxall (beholder in twisted rune if I've got the name wrong) bypassing the scroll. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the standard beholder rays could do the same (on the grounds that they're physical not magical abilities).
    K, I understand about f/t, it's a powerhouse throught the game.
    I'll stick with Ascenison since BGT takes a while to install and I don't want to go through it again.
    One more question - is solo neccecary? I'm afraid that soloing will kind of kill the game for me due to very quick leveling.
    As per beholders, Death ray is coded innate so I guess it goes through PfM scroll (save is made with no penalty however). I think it was Yuan-ti or shadows that killed Bastardo (screenshot doesn't show enemies, but he was swarmed with them - otherwise I'd just ran).
    I'm intending to do it solo, but that doesn't mean you need to :smile: I suspect that adding other characters would probably make the challenge harder, but that might suit you anyway ...
    I think adding one or two more will likely make the challenge a bit easier actually. Anyhow, I'm experimenting with something, if it proves succesfull, I'll post it. Had one solo F/c, rushed through BG1, killed by Glacias in Nalia's keep.... :/ I knew I should have started documenting the run, that makes me play more carefully.