Skip to content

[v2.8] Sirene, a tiefling paladin of Ilmater NPC for BG:EE and SoD

Comments

• CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299

What's that? Friendship talks for SoA and ToB are complete? Romance for ToB is fully written? Whaaat? Is a beta release on the horizon? Hmm, I wonder... ;)

:astonished: Hats off to you sir! I am so excited :+1:
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    OOOh, I can't wait! Keep up the good work.
  • pheonix89pheonix89 Member Posts: 7
    Oooh. Hope it comes out soon. If it's in the next couple of days I might wait to start my next EET run for the release.

Speaking of EET compatability, you are using the same dv for Sirene in BG and BGII, right? Because as long as you are the patch generator tool can handle about 99% of the work of activating the continuity system.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2016
    Sirene-BG2 is now in working beta stage and I am calling for volunteers for beta testing. Post here if you're interested and I will message you within a couple of days with details and a link to the mod. There are only a couple of 'rules' (though I'm not 100% strict on enforcing them) to keep in mind.

I need people with at least a working knowledge of scripts. At the very least, it'll be helpful if you can read a script and understand what it means. Otherwise, I'll probably just get a few vague 'x dialogue isn't working' responses and have to look into all the scripts to see exactly what's wrong.

Make sure you've got the time and the inclination to test. I'm not too strict on this, but I also don't want to hand out the mod and receive utter silence for two months. That would make me very unhappy >:( This mod is pretty darned big. There's a lot of content that needs testing, so again, be absolutely sure you have the time necessary to play it through fully.

Oh, and @pheonix89: I have not added any EET support to the mod. It does use a shared DV but I cannot ensure that it will work properly so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    Saber83
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    Hmmm, I really look forward to this game and I would enjoy testing it but I have to admit that I'm not good at tech stuff.

Wouldn't it be possible to just send a save file where the problem occurs along with a description of the problem itself?

Also in order to test it properly I guess one got to not have any other mods that affect game scripts, right?

Finally, what is the estimated time for the beta test? Obviously 2 months of silence would be outright mean but is there an estimate on when do you want to move to the release phrase?
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    edited November 2016
    I play on Android. So I can provide betatest on Android, but I have zero knowledge and experience with scripts. That means I can provide only basic reports like "this is not working etc." Sorry :disappointed:

EDIT: I was just thinking - maybe you should post thread about Sirene mod also in BGII:EE Mods category of forum? Just for bigger coverage of potencial betatesters?
    @Mothor Two months was just hyperbole. I can make a full release as soon as I've ensured that everything works, which obviously will be faster if I get people helping me out. Right now, I have to test it by myself, which means I'm cutting corners by cheating a lot which makes me prone to missing things.

@Caszidy There will be a BG2:EE thread. I just need to write it up.

I'm going to consider what to do for now. I may just do a quick run ensuring that the essential content is stable then release an open beta with a use at your own risk warning. We'll see.
    Caszidy
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    Like @Mothor I would be willing to test the mod, but unfortunately I don't have ANY knowledge of scripts or programming for BG2. Still, I am really happy that this mod is now so far along.
    @Saber83 You can download the open beta here if you're interested in playing it. Just be aware that there's probably going to be quite a few bugs. I've tested the core content and playing through the whole game with her seems viable, but some of the side content might not work properly. I'd appreciate if you could report anything that doesn't seem right even if you can't understand it.
    Saber83
    Just a minor update to fix that certain paladin-specific item to work for the F/C alternate class, nothing big. On another note, I'll get Sirene-BG2 v1 out soon... I've just been a little burned out and I'm, well, not spoiling anything major but I am working on something else atm ;) Supposing anyone actually uses this amateur writer's mods to begin with...
    Caszidy
  • kaldgordkaldgord Member Posts: 29
    Beautiful mod :)
    @kaldgord Well, thank you! I certainly hope you enjoyed/are enjoying it. :)
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    The mod looks very intriguing. Do you have any plans to make the BG2 part EET compatible? (The BG1&SoD part is already working on EET I think)
    @Ulb EET is not my area of expertise. I discussed it with agb1 on the BG2 thread and allowed him to work on making it compatible when he got the chance.
  • TristeluneTristelune Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

I've been trying Sirene within a mega-install (using Big World Setup).
    I've found that Sirene is totally messed up during the installation. Or, more likely, it's her Martyr kit who is messed up. She cannot equip any armor, most of weapons, and most of other items. Also, her kit abilities are those of a normal Paladin, not a Martyr. Any idea where it might come from?

Here's is my weidu, in case it could help.

Thank you
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    I also had some issues with her kit. It got somehow replaced with the Grizzly Bear kit (which I think is for Wilson) so I assume it might be some kind of incompatibility with another mod. I'd suggest you just switch her to a normal Paladin kit via Keeper, that's at least what I did.

@Artemius_I I'm about two thirds through BG1 and I enjoy Sirene a lot so far. She has a consistent and well defined character, well written dialogues and an interesting backstory. Can't wait till the BG2 part becomes EET compatible. Great work!
    EnialusMeliamne
    @Tristelune I cannot find Sirene installed in your weidu log.

@Ulb Hey, thank you! I actually think the BG1 section was the least consistent of the three sections because it was written while I was still starting off and wasn't sure what kind of character I was writing yet. There are some parts where I hadn't decided on the more formal tone of speech yet. I think the SoD portion is still my favorite, so I hope it only gets better for you.
    Ulb
    Hello,
    Yes, sorry. Somehow, EET produced 2 Weidu, which I assume is a normal thing. So, here are both Weidu, for an exhaustive list of mods and tweaks installed. Sirene NPC is specifically mentionned in WeiDU-BGEE.log
    @Tristelune

*scratches head awkwardly*

I feel really bad that I can't figure out what might be wrong without an EET-install... well... the most I can suggest is to check in EEKeeper if she has the martyr kit or if it's even present on the list. If it's not then that'd mean the kit didn't install properly in the game at all.
    Oh, yes, she does have the Martyr kit. It's displayed on her character sheet. It's just the kit is totally messed up, be it on usable items or class abilities.
    In my case, it's not Wilson mod that cause problem, since I didn't install it.
    Well, I can still enjoy the mod: i reinstalled it choosing for a vanilla paladin class, and it functions :)
    It's just a pity that part of your work doesn't function as it should.
    I'll let you know if in a later install i manage to pinpoint the guilty mod.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    @Tristelune, wrong Kit assigned after importing BG:EE kit to BG2:EE was EET bug, not related to Sirene. It's a regression related to SoD changes in kitlist.2da - now fixed. If you need to fix it in your ongoing game please upload your save.

@Artemius_I, if you want to add EET compatibility for BG2:EE version of the mod I can prepare a patch (it's a matter of minutes really if there are no conflicts between file names) but from what I see your mod uses exactly the same file names for Sirene scripts and dialogues as you used in BG:EE version of the mod which means installing it on top would result in overwriting files. Any chance for using unique names in BG:EE and BG2:EE version of Sirene? (just like you did in SoD component for example C0SIRENE => C02SIREN)
    @swit That would be one major headache that I simply can't afford to spend time on dealing with right now. I apologize. If someone is actually willing to go through the tedious work of renaming everything I have no objections but I don't have the time to spend on it.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited January 2017
    no worries, I can do it myself (automatically via already tested tool, so no way that something will be missed), but I would need to know what names would you like to use. Only few files have to be renamed. How about this (C0SIRENE and C0SIREN changed to C0SIRE2 in BG2:EE version of the mod)

cre:
    C0SIRENE.CRE => C0SIRE2.CRE
    dlg:
    C0SIRENE.DLG => C0SIRE2.DLG
    C0SIRENJ.DLG => C0SIRE2J.DLG
    C0SIRENP.DLG => C0SIRE2P.DLG
    banter:
    BC0SIREN.DLG => BC0SIRE2.DLG
    scripts:
    C0SIRENE.BCS => C0SIRE2.BCS
    C0SIREND.BCS => C0SIRE2D.BCS
    Other files are fine. Not sure about C0DORNF.BCS though. If these scripts are menat to be exactly the same between campaigns than there is no need for renaming but I see some weird things there, probably bugs:

Dead("C@Sirene") //shouldn't it be C0Sirene? I don't see this DV used anywhere else
    !Dead("C0Dorn") //again there is no creature with such DV. I think it should be "Dorn"
    Post edited by swit on
    @swit That was an oversight. I originally used C@ as my prefix until realizing WeiDU doesn't handle the @ character very well. Thanks for the notice, it'll be fixed. You can fix it for the EET compatible version.
  • scorosinscorosin Member Posts: 6
    @Artemius_I hey I love this mod in the original campaign but my dragon spear version isn't installing right I get a whole list of string errors and then wei du just back pedals away from it any suggestions?
    @scorosin

I'll need a bit more information than that... maybe you need to use modmerge? I'm using the Beamdog version so I'm not familiar with modmerge at all but it tends to come up a lot.
    scorosin
    @Artemius_I first off thx for the quick response means alot yeah. So yeah I have the gog version with update 2.3.67.3 it wouldn't be a simple thing like it being out of date would it?
    @Artemius_I I could send you the debug too if your willing to help me out.
    @scorosin

Go ahead and send me the debug file. I'll be around for the next few hours to try and figure this out.
    scorosin
    @Artemius_I thanks again for the help just finished the dragonspear portion the other day.