Skip to content

Who should be the next president of the Divided States of Vegetables?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    smeagolheartmashedtaterssemiticgoddessGenderNihilismGirdle
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    mashedtatersGenderNihilismGirdle
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The Large Magellanic Cloud is significantly closer.
    [Deleted User]mashedtaters
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Anduin said:

Ye. Time for peace. A coming together. As vegetable in chef. I extend the leaf of kindness.

Trumpiflower says something like this only when he's reading off a teleprompter because when he speaks his mind his words are way different.

Perhaps he should have run a campaign that did not regularly incite political violence, xenophobia, racism, and misogyny. That tends to upset people.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited November 2016
    @smeagolheart Clearly it didn't upset the voting public of USA that much. It does paint a picture about the people.

@smeagolheart Clearly it didn't upset the voting people of USA that much. It does paint a picture about the people.

The majority of people in the USA didn't vote for him. The majority of people don't agree with his social positions. The people he's alienated and scapegoated are upset.

As Michael Moore says in his Morning After to do list:
    The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don't. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he's president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we'll continue to have presidents we didn't elect and didn't want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there's climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don't want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the "liberal" position.
    semiticgoddess
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    During the latest Russian Parliament elections, because of the low voters' presence, the ruling party got absolute generality. In the end, it had approval of a little more than 5% people living in Russia. But because the majority of people didn't even go to the elections, the party got more than 50% votes. It was enough to create one of the strongest representation in the Parliament in the history of modern Russia. Reason? Well, the first reason was that people didn't believe their votes meant anything. The second reason was that there were no real alternative to the ruling party. But the third reason was that people didn't approve the direction the country had been taking for the last several years. The mistake was to think that not coming to the elections would help.

Maybe the same mistake happened in the USA.
    mashedtaters
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Shandyr said:

The broccoli exodus has begun! Let us leave Milky Way! Andromeda, we are coming!

Did you notify Andromeda's authorities? It would be a shame if you had to return from the border...
    edited November 2016
    @smeagolheart No. First of all, approximately 50 % of eligible voters bothered to vote in the first place. And of those, only 52.5 % voted not Trump. Hence, 26 % of eligible voters voted against Trump and 24 % for Trump. In conclusion, 74 % of the voting public were not upset enough to oppose Trump.

PS. Majority means > 50 %
    mashedtaters
    Let me clarify then.. The majority of Americans who voted preferred Clinton to Trump.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    If Anerica would not have made it harder for democracy to win, Trump probably wouldn't have. Clinton did get the most amount of votes, but their are other factors determining who wins the election. Can't recall it now.
    @smeagolheart But they didn't... Clinton only got 47.7 % vs. Trump's 47.5 %. That is not majority.
    semiticgoddess
    ma·jor·i·ty
    məˈjôrədē,məˈjärədē/
    noun
    the greater number.
    semiticgoddess
    @smeagolheart That's nice, but not applicable here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority

"A majority is the greater part, or more than half, of the total. It is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements.
    "Majority" can be used to specify the voting requirement, as in a "majority vote". A majority vote is more than half of the votes cast."
    semiticgoddess
    edited November 2016
    I was using the word as defined above by its definition not in any other specific usage circumstance.

More people voted for Hillary than Trump
    semiticgoddess
    edited November 2016
    If you do understand what he means why do you have to just wiggle your way around. It feels so unnecessary. Oh, btw he didn't say "majority vote" he said "majority of the people".
    More people
    Eh.. what?
    It was not clear to me if you are referring to me or FinneousPJ there because you said you.
    I'm getting all turned around up in here lol!
    edited November 2016

@smeagolheart No. First of all, approximately 50 % of eligible voters bothered to vote in the first place. And of those, only 52.5 % voted not Trump. Hence, 26 % of eligible voters voted against Trump and 24 % for Trump. In conclusion, 74 % of the voting public were not upset enough to oppose Trump.

PS. Majority means > 50 %

Let me clarify then.. The majority of Americans who voted preferred Clinton to Trump.

@smeagolheart That's nice, but not applicable here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority

"A majority is the greater part, or more than half, of the total. It is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements.
    "Majority" can be used to specify the voting requirement, as in a "majority vote". A majority vote is more than half of the votes cast."

You didn't say anything about majority vote. The majority of the people that voted did vote for Hillary. I don't see why you, @FinneousPJ, have to twitch it around, when you clearly knows what he means.
    @RelSundan Look at the first sentence. "A majority is the greater part, or more than half, of the total."

@smeagolheart This whole semantic debate is irrelevant anyway. My point is the majority of Americans did not actually choose to oppose the nonsense of Trump. Period. Fact. Sorry to burst your bubble, but be afraid. Be very afraid ;)
    smeagolheartmashedtaters
    For example, if there is a distribution of one 2 % group and 98 1 % groups, the 2 % group is not a majority. It is the largest group, yes, but not a majority. This should be clear to anyone. Similarly, a 47.7 % is not a majority, although that's not nearly as extreme.
    With a name like @Mathsorcerer I must point out that >= 50.1 % is a flawed definition. It is defined as > 50 %. This is easy to see:

50.1 % of 250 million equals 125 250 000. But actually, 125 000 001 is already a majority.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Meh--rounding. Most people don't care about any portion smaller than 0.1%, so I round to that. For a population of people, the absolute minimum for a true majority would be (floor(total population/2) + 1); I am presuming that you are already familiar with the "floor" function so I won't explain it here.

I suppose I should have said > 50% for greater accuracy.
    FinneousPJ
    edited November 2016

@RelSundan Look at the first sentence. "A majority is the greater part, or more than half, of the total."

@smeagolheart This whole semantic debate is irrelevant anyway. My point is the majority of Americans did not actually choose to oppose the nonsense of Trump. Period. Fact. Sorry to burst your bubble, but be afraid. Be very afraid ;)

I am afraid thanks. So are many other Americans. I'm not a woman, minority or Muslim I can only imagine the fear many of those groups might be feeling. Many people around the world are afraid of him.

I was using the first definition of majority which was "the greater number". "The greater number" of voters voted for Hillary Clinton. She's winning the popular vote.
    FinneousPJ
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Anyone care to explain to me why the adoption of anyone as the president of an insignificant political confederation is something to bitch about? The shitstorm around this minor event is truly a goldmine of hilarity but I'm feeling like I'm missing something people would deem important :neutral:
    RelSundanmashedtaters
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @smeagolheart

The electoral college is flawed, yes, and needs to be replaced. But it should not be eliminated. One reason it was founded was to prevent more populated states, especially those with large, dense cities, from having too much power and influence over the vote and essentially running an entire county from a few major cities.

Most of the people who voted for Brococlinton lived in the cities. That is why Trumpiflower won, because her supporters were too condensed into small geographical areas. Check out the voter map by using google and typing in "2016 election" and then selecting on the swing states that Trumpiflower won, or most of the other states he won.

Yes, most of the people in the United States voted for Brococlinton...because most of the people in the United States live in cities...which is exactly why the electoral college was founded. This essentially means that people not in the cities banded enough together to vote for Trumpiflower.

Keep in mind that this december, when the electoral college actually casts their votes, they don't all have to even vote the way it turned out. They probably will, but there are few laws that control that.

It is a very flawed system, and I don't support it because it makes it difficult for 3rd party to ever become president. I personally think that if 51% of the vote went to one way, that state shouldn't send all its votes one way. It should be like Maine, where they split their electoral college votes. And the electoral college should have to vote in accordance with the people.

Source:

https://www.reference.com/government-politics/purpose-electoral-college-c9f12a8548d434ee?qo=questionPageExploreContent
    JuliusBorisov
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Actually, looking through it, even states like California, Oregon, and Washington, which always go blue, have the same results. Only the cities voted for her as a majority.
    I am aware of that taters but the counter argument is that it gives the rural population too much power over the urban areas. The few are controlling the many etc.