Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Grum said:

It's a trade off for the plot-armor class feature.

I don't remember any such class feature. There is the Power Word: Reload spell-like ability, but what good is that when you can't reload your way out of obvious betrayals? I do everything I can to kill Saemon Havarian every time I meet him, but it just isn't enough.

Note to self: I need to try backstabbing him as we get off the boat at Spellhold. Haven't done that before, actually.
    CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Abi_Dalzim He can finally be perma killed in ToB
    GallowglassCrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldProont
    edited December 2016
    ThacoBell said:

@Abi_Dalzim He can finally be perma killed in ToB

Sure, but there's so many other traitors that you can't do the same to. I want to kill Ulraunt and all the rest of them!
    CrevsDaak
    Are you allowed to resurrect NPC's like that? I thought that was a one-off for that one civilian in Saradush.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2017
    Did you know if you steal the potion from the clinic at the beginning of BGEE, go into the house with the Assissin and take the dagger inside the locked chest and the eight gold in the nearby desk...you will trigger an immediate confrontation with a guard?

The reason I know this is because I have the same ritual for starting out that I always use. But something changed in the game and now you get busted for stealing early on whether you were seen doing it or not.
    Wise_GrimwaldProont
  • namarienamarie Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2017
    Grum said:

Moving items from hand to hand is a free action.

That is true but only if you have a free hand... I'm not sure how AD&D rules it but in 3.x, I do remember the FAQ states that switching hand is a move-equivalent action if both hands are occupied, since it is equivalent to drop item on main hand (free) -> switch hand (free) -> pick up item (move).

Then again it's FAQ so apparently nobody ever defers to it :|
    lolienProont
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think you can swap weapons hand to hand very easily if you're dual wielding. I mean, i pulled this off with fencing sabres, why a trained swordsman wouldn't be able to do it as well (unless he's got a flail, a hammer, a scimitar or a morning star, I'd say it's pretty easy to do this, unless there's a big size gap between both weapons).
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    namarie said:

That means when you make them turn around they literally just shift their shield from one hand to another in less than one second.

All characters in the game are ambidextrous! It amuses me to watch closely and see how thrown items such as darts and axes come from different hands depending on positioning.
    edited January 2017
    According to the Forgotten Realms wiki, Illasera is supposed to be an Elf Fighter 1/Mage 20. Putting aside how that shouldn't be possible, it does continue to beg the question of why she never casts anything higher than a third level spell when you fight.

Also, apparently in the novels that bear no mention, Abdel needed to go Slayer in order to beat her. What a noob.
    GrumProont
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2017

According to the Forgotten Realms wiki, Illasera is supposed to be an Elf Fighter 1/Mage 20. Putting aside how that shouldn't be possible, it does continue to beg the question of why she never casts anything higher than a third level spell when you fight.

Also, apparently in the novels that bear no mention, Abdel needed to go Slayer in order to beat her. What a noob.

She's actually is a fighter (20)/mage (1). It still makes no sense but I've corrected the wiki all the same.
    lolienGrumJuliusBorisovProont
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Illasera might just as well be F1/M1, for all the good it does her. In all these years of playing, I don't recall Illasera ever managing to hit me with either a weapon or a spell, not once.

How she ever qualified to be one of the Five completely mystifies me, considering that the others are all much more credible opponents, far superior to feeble Illasera. Even little Chinchilla is a (significantly!) tougher opponent, so why didn't they offer him a place among the Five instead?
    SmilingSwordProont

she was meant to be harder. but as some players would be starting tob fresh [ who even does that?} they toned her down.

She's not a challenge to a PC starting SOD, never mind TOB. They clearly went way too far with that.
    GallowglassCrevsDaakProont
    What good is a tracker if they neither have powerful backup nor can bring down a kobold warren by themselves? Because however good she was at tracking (we don't see her in action, and it's not like everyone and their grandma haven't been able to track us with ease in the past), she's still rubbish as a killer. And if tracking alone was what the others used her for, then they really should have provided some monks or drow for backup, especially against someone as powerful as the PC.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2017

she was meant to be harder. but as some players would be starting tob fresh [ who even does that?} they toned her down.

Bear in mind that ToB came out about 9 months after Shadows of Amn was released. This was back in a day when having a 20gb hard drive was probably standard (it's what I had back then anyways). Just for space reasons people may not have even kept the game installed (and as a consequence may have not kept their saves).

Having the option of starting the game in ToB made sense since it let players (including reviewers) who didn't still have their saved games with the option of more quickly finishing the series.

Personally, I wish on difficulties above normal she would have been more challenging. But I can see why they would want to avoid making her too powerful.
    Post edited by elminster on
    lolienJuliusBorisovProont