Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

elminster said:

One of the many dialogues that remains unused in BG1 is Banmer.dlg.

Its a dialogue that basically involves the player character raiding a merchant caravan in order to prove themselves worthy of joining the bandits. Its unusual in particular because it actually has a strength check for some of its responses (where you are basically trying to strong arm the merchant into giving up their wares).

Its kind of too bad too. Since you miss out on great lines like

MERCHANT: What's the meaning of this? We've got a schedule to keep!

CHARNAME: "Everyone please stop where they are and don't move! Drop your weapons and gold, and this will all be over quick!"

MERCHANT: "Well, which is it? If I drop my weapons like you said, I'm gonna be in motion. Likewise, if'n I stay still I can't rightly disarm. Straighten yerself out and come at that again. This time like ya mean it."

and

CHARNAME: "All right, I've a blade edge for each one o' you that takes another step! You will all place your weapons on the ground, and your gold in our sacks. Remember that songs are only written about heroes AFTER they're dead!"

(if strength is less than 10)

MERCHANT: "I don't think you've got the muscle to back up those threats, so why don't you just git along 'fore we put a hurtin' on you."

is there a mod that restores all such possible content to the game? If not, there needs to be and i'd do it myself.
    This particular file is being used in my Eve of War mod. Unfinished Business covers a number of unused dialogue files as well. There is no mod that I'm aware of that covers them all.
    lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakFina92
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I'm positive Wraith Sarevok has the biggest health pool in the unmodded game aswell as the largest melee range out of anything (it looks ridiculous if you don't move closer to him)
    elminster said:

I'm positive Wraith Sarevok has the biggest health pool in the unmodded game

Not sure about BG2, but there are higher in the series certainly. Sarevo2 (this is the Sarevok you fight in the palace) has 999 and Tethoril has 981
    Well I didn't think we had to include the clearly not-supposed-to-die folks :tongue:
    CrevsDaak

Wraith Sarevok has a mere 570 HP and is easy to kill with a little patience.

Senior Priestess Sallinithyl has 8100 HP. And -20 AC. And 100% resistance to all four categories of physical damage. And 100% resistance to Magic. And 100% resistance to Acid, Cold, and Electricity, and more than 100% resistance to Fire. So she's very difficult to damage at all! But then, just in case some smart-alec thinks up some exploit for killing her, she's equipped with an amulet of MinHP1. I think she's the most heavily-protected character in the series.

who?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited January 2017

who?

Prince Villnaty's priestess in the City of Caverns. It's not even clear why she should be the most thoroughly unkillable character of all!
    [Edit: note to @Abi_Dalzim - actually she's not the priestess who asks you to speak to the Prince, but rather the priestess who is with him when you get there.]

Well I didn't think we had to include the clearly not-supposed-to-die folks :tongue:

Fair enough. Which obviously rules out even many of the less-thoroughly-unkillable among the unkillable characters, in addition to the extraordinary Sallinithyl.
    Post edited by Gallowglass on
    semiticgoddessProont
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    elminster said:

You also only get 5000 xp if you do manage to kill her. :(

You get double that for killing Sime, and she goes down like a punk!
    elminsterlolienCrevsDaakProont
    edited January 2017
    Force Dragons are also quite formidable. Creating Wall of Force at will as a spell-like ability is ludicrously OP, and they can fly right through them.
    JuliusBorisovSmilingSwordProont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    A link for your fun :)
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovProont
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Did you know game franchises have shamelessly hijacked the DnD alignment system? The Shin Megami Tensei series, an RPG dedicated to summoning and battling demons, uses a Light/Dark Law/Chaos axis with Neutral in the middle in every game.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

Did you know game franchises have shamelessly hijacked the DnD alignment system? The Shin Megami Tensei series, an RPG dedicated to summoning and battling demons, uses a Light/Dark Law/Chaos axis with Neutral in the middle in every game.

Tactics Ogre I believe divides its story routes between Lawful and Chaotic.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

But aren't law-chaos ancient oriental concepts?
    DJKajuru said:

I'm guessing combining it with a good/evil axis is more modern.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    DJKajuru said:

And more recently the basis for Michael Moorecock's Eternal Champion cycle.
    CrevsDaak
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    aw man, there has to be a way around that...

and if you find it let me know, i had to turn my one handed spear into a pure thrower because it's melee animations do the same.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    BillyYank said:

And more recently the basis for Michael Moorecock's Eternal Champion cycle.

But Moorcock didn't use two separate axes for Good-Evil and Law-Chaos, he just equated Law with Good and Evil with Chaos for a one-dimensional alignment system. (Typical Stalinist thinking!)
    CrevsDaak
    The spell "Call Lightning " , although very useful in BG and Torment, is rather different from its PnP version, as by the book it requires an actual storm to be happening .
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    DJKajuru said:

The spell "Call Lightning " , although very useful in BG and Torment, is rather different from its PnP version, as by the book it requires an actual storm to be happening .

Well, in Planescape Torment, Call Lightning is a cleric spell, not a druid spell. It draws its power from the cleric's beliefs, not from nature. It makes sense for it not to require a storm to be happening.

DJKajuru said:

Well, in Planescape Torment, Call Lightning is a cleric spell, not a druid spell. It draws its power from the cleric's beliefs, not from nature. It makes sense for it not to require a storm to be happening.
    I believe that they've made it able to be cast indoors and by a cleric because it's bloody cool.
    CrevsDaakCalmarProont