Skip to content

How is it?

Comments

• WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    simples said:

so why are you being a **** about it then? i used to play sonic, loved it (still do), turned out gay.

people like me and trans people even have always been there. we've existed throughout history, but when you play a game you like to pretend we're not real? that's my problem tbh.

what happens when your child turns out to be gay? what are you going to say? will you be supportive or will you just ignore it?
    don't be a simpleton mate.

This is a prime example why people get annoyed when this nonsense is in games when we hear about it in media all the time. Some people like switching off and just relaxing. I am one of those people.

Political correctness and social justice has no place in a time set aside for a leasure activity when it's thrown at as at all angles during the rest of the day.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    PM's perhaps?
    wubble
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    Skatan said:

PM's perhaps?

no. i'd like to know how my representation in computer games is infringing on someone else's "free time".

@Wesboi do you not respect my right as a fellow human then? or a trans person? do they not deserve the same amount of representation you do? i mean how many of us do you encounter in games opposed to the plethora of other characters
    GrumThacoBell
    simples said:

Skatan said:

PM's perhaps?

no. i'd like to know how my representation in computer games is infringing on someone else's "free time".

I am fairly sure Wesboi's opinion can be perfectly conveyed through PM's just as we well as through public posts, but nevermind then.
    simples said:

Skatan said:

PM's perhaps?

@Wesboi do you not respect my right as a fellow human then? or a trans person? do they not deserve the same amount of representation you do? i mean how many of us do you encounter in games opposed to the plethora of other characters
    I don't see many midgets complaining they've been misrepresented as thieving halflings or turnip eating gnomes. Don't know why u have your knickers in a twist about it. Have u complained about lack of trans zombies in black ops?
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    for the love of the Mejka why so serious??

ok

your role in this fantasy world is not defined by gender (btw. where was gender when rohan needed them?), sex, color, diet, formal edumification or whatever exept one thing: CLASS. In this fantasy world your role is only defined by class. this fantasy world is a game and it doesn't mater really how much you can roleplay lol (or LARP) and how much story mode you can love to romance anomen mmmm... story mode...oh, story mode who needs to play a game when playing a game?? story mode is love, story mode is life...
    what I am saying just is in this fantasy world everyone can be a Mizhena. Everyone! If Mizhena is a cleric with 3 wisdom ....ummm, no. but if her wisdom is actually 18 or at least 16 then oh, yeah baby, come ere! that simple, get it?

But the funny part begins now. Main stat must be high if you want to actually role-play. Why? Lets imagine that the Order of the moist Radiant Hart just stands there behind your window and you are a perfectly healthy 15 year old wannabe paladin but you have a one little problem intelligence 3. Would you think that the moist members of the radiant hart actually would allow you to join them??
    yes, yes they would.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @filcat88

"But the first part of SOD ( the one in those catacoms to defeat the last of Sarevok lietenants) happens just after Sarevok defeat. Then some time passes, quite some time actually, before the refugees and CA become a really problem for CHARNAME.

So time-wise makes sense, imo"

You are right about the first dungeon timing.
    But Imoen/Charname have a conversation that specifically says (paraphrased) in the palace.
    "I am so tired I could sleep for a week"
    Indicating that it is immediately afterwards.

And all that about your stuff being in a chest? And your money being lost?
    What, you left the dungeon some time ago, didn't ask about your money (to live on) for a few weeks/months or sort out your belongings?
    Does that indicate a length of time between events in the first dungeon and the actual start of SOD?

You walk outside the palace and BG is full to bursting with refugees which you have had no sign or indication of existing before.
    filcat88
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited January 2017
    how anybody is approving of anything simples says after his intentionally provocative "minorities will decide what your future is one day, mr. white guy" little outburst is beyond me.
    CrevsDaakErstarrungDapifer
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Sunder

I see this is your first comment on this forum, so I ask you to read the site rules. You can't attack people and groups of people in your comments.

When debating, tell arguments against a certain point of view, not against a certain poster or a group of people.

Also, it would be good if everyone read the OP here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/26717/a-quick-note-about-disagreement/p1.
    My wife is a minority where we live does it bother us. No. We have far more important things to worry about rather than causing a huge fuss. Bills, day to day issues and what's for dinner are far more important to me than including minorities on a 15 year old game series.

Inclusion is a good thing but sometimes u need a break and that's my whole point. I don't get much me time and I can't be dealing with political correctness.
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    How is including a transgender character in a D&d game about dragons, monsters, magic, ect ruining "your break"?
    ThacoBellArtona
    Sunder said:

How is including a transgender character in a D&d game about dragons, monsters, magic, ect ruining "your break"?

Didn't say it was ruining it. It's the how it's thrown in your face along with other issues as a clear social justice blah blah blah. With the amount of exposure we have to the whole social injustice politically correctness do we really need more of it in a game what's designed as a leisure activity.

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    How was it "thrown in your face in Siege"?
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    If it were a brand new game, then there'd be no cause for complaint about whatever some SJW devs chose to include in their product. You could buy it if that was to your taste, or leave it alone if not.

However, when it's an old classic with an established style which does not include explicit SJW totems, then the pre-existing players predictably include some people who aren't enthusiasts for SJW causes, so it's bound to be more controversial if SJWs seize control of development and insert blatant placard-waving tokens for their causes. No-one with an ounce of sense should be surprised to find that some non-SJW pre-existing players will resent their preferred entertainment environment becoming colonised by SJW imperialists. To players who don't enjoy SJW material, it feels like an unwanted intrusion into their personal space.
    Sunder said:

Wesboi said:

simples said:

Skatan said:

PM's perhaps?

I don't see many midgets complaining they've been misrepresented as thieving halflings or turnip eating gnomes. Don't know why u have your knickers in a twist about it. Have u complained about lack of trans zombies in black ops?
    The only complaining I recall were the ones upset at the inclusion of minorities. I don't remember these forums full of complaints prior to Siege from transgender folk mad about not being represented in an IE games. Instead people, such as yourself, got mad when they were included. So, yes, you & the people mad about inclusion are showing racist tendencies, not the other way around where political correctness invaded games and ruined them. Sometimes peering into the mirror and seeing yourself for what you really are can be hard to do though.
    Didn't have any if these issues when the original bg2 came out. If your happy to be exposed to trans at every opportunity good for u I'm generally pleased for u. I on the other hand remember the game in its original glory when it was first released no social issues just discussions about party setups and theory crafting. That's how games in my opinion should be.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    even before beam dog brought the series back modders have made characters that were bi/gay. no one complains about some of those npc mods, heck some are still being made in this very forum. but because it's an official product people need to complain that people ruined their franchise.

which i find hilarious as alot of beamdog's staff are modders.
    ThacoBell

even before beam dog brought the series back modders have made characters that were bi/gay. no one complains about some of those npc mods, heck some are still being made in this very forum. but because it's an official product people need to complain that people ruined their franchise.

which i find hilarious as alot of beamdog's staff are modders.

Those user made mods was optional installs. SoD is paid content. A bit of huge difference there if beamdog made there own original game they can add whatever content they like.
    I paid money for a product. Said product didn't meet my expectations and I feel the SJW content didn't sit right with the rest of the series in my opinion. Obviously having a different opinion upsets many of the white knights who spring to action the moment any social injustice is seen.
    Vithar
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It's a wonder how people like you can enjoy anything.
    megamike15ronaldoThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Wesboi said:

I paid money for a product. Said product didn't meet my expectations and I feel the SJW content didn't sit right with the rest of the series in my opinion. Obviously having a different opinion upsets many of the white knights who spring to action the moment any social injustice is seen.

Or how about this. You paid money. You saw a minority. You didn't like said minority. So you are complaining that the minority shouldn't be in the series because it doesn't match *your* vision of what escapism should be.

I'm so very sorry that two sentences of lines from an NPC has triggered you like this. I highly recommend that instead of complaining about SJWs and White Knights and whatnot...you either don't buy games that can so easily trigger you, mod games you don't like...or just don't click on the one optional NPC's completely optional dialogue choice.

What I don't recommend is trying to enforce your headcanon.

And by the way, what is a SJW and what is a White Knight? I never heard these terms until the Mizhena shitstorm, and people like you keep using them like they are bad words. As far as I can tell, the first seems to mean "someone who thinks that everyone can have a seat at the table without being told to leave" and the latter is "someone who calls out douchiness when it is targeted towards minorities".
    ronaldoThacoBellAstroBryGuyBelgarathMTH
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I believe this thread has discussed Mizhena and the surrounding controversy quite thoroughly. We have been neglecting to cover the rest of the game.

To answer a question we've wandered away from:

is it annoyingly obvious or easily dismissed and not a hinder to enjoyment?

It's pretty easy to ignore. Mizhena only says 4 sentences about her history, and that's only if you ask her twice--in fact, talking to her in the first place is optional.

The only other part of the game that remotely concerns social justice, or any modern political issue, is the refugee crisis in Baldur's Gate, but the game expresses multiple conflicting viewpoints about the issue, and your dialogue options can express any viewpoint or none at all. Or you can ignore it; those little side quests are optional.

Most of the game, including all of the main quest dialogue, has nothing to do with politics. It's a D&D game, not a lecture.
    ThacoBellAstroBryGuyCrevsDaakArtona
    All I said is that all the political correctness doesn't belong in a the current story arc. In my opinion. That is all. Suddenly I'm a poster boy for mass hate/racism. So your all saying I'm wrong I don't enjoy anything and other wall of texts about how I'm an awful person.

The opinions I have are only about the game doesn't reflect anything in real life.

This original games are nearly 15 years olds and have totally different styles of writing and tones. Then the overall writing style of SoD throws it out the window.
    It just seems odd the tone and general feel of SoD it doesn't compare to BG1/2

End of discussion.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'd really like if we could discuses siege more then just the same three topics. every single time a thread comes up talking about the game first it's you know what. then it goes to that comment amber made about safana and it just stays there and we never go any further.
    NimranThacoBellCrevsDaakDapifer

i'd really like if we could discuses siege more then just the same three topics. every single time a thread comes up talking about the game first it's you know what. then it goes to that comment amber made about safana and it just stays there and we never go any further.

I generally didn't think much of it reminded me of icewind dale with the battles. Doubt I'll run it again. Should of explored or added more story into bg2ee as in refugees/slave trades and explored more into that to add an extra link but meh.
    Wesboi said:

I'm curious @Wesboi, have you ever played a Paladin class charname? Your negative comment of others acting like white knights and the way you object to bring RL into your game world should make it difficult for you to impersonate a paladin then I guess.
    GrumCrevsDaak