Skip to content

[NPC MOD] Sheena - The Half Dragon Tale

Comments

• Verdi14Verdi14 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, just to clear things up. As I wrote in my edit, things went fine after I just did it in the order of WeiDU, modmerge and then Sheena mod. The GOG requires Modmerge as far as I am aware, so you were right to suggest it! Thanks for the help! Great mod, I adore the half-dragon model.
  • AcheronTheOddAcheronTheOdd Member Posts: 14
    Awesome! If you need beta testers or any other kind of help i can provide, once i finish SoD, i'd love to be a help in any way you need.
    edited January 2017
    Looking forward to the release of 2.5 as i said, if you need a beta tester let me know, i'd be happy to help. I also have an alternate portrait for her dragon form if you like, Though it may need some editing in photoshop, Gimp or Irfanview, whichever you prefer.
    Its a bit blurry so that'd need fixing before you could make much use of it i suspect, but i feel its a perfect fit.
    Caszidy
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @AcheronTheOdd
    The new portrait is in preparation (The original looks more like a succubus than half dragon).
    I have already contacted few best artists who makes portraits to BG.
    But is it true that I have to wait ages if I want an answers...

Does anyone know of any good artist who makes portraits to BG?
    (Please do not suggest anyone who makes only edited photos. I need someone who can draw.)
    Someone who at least gonna respond to my message. :D
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @artastrophe makes gorgeous portraits, but she has she's own distinctive style that differs from original style of portraits. But she's amazing IMO.
    @Cahir
    Artastrophe was my first choice B)
    True genius among artists.
    But this girl is unattainable...

I tried to write e-mails, leave messages on deviantart and even begged for help from @LavaDelVortel who closely cooperated with her, but even he was unable to contact her.
    lolien
    Well then.. i think i may have found the perfect one, in fact it looks almost exactly like the paperdoll in game, however it needs some cropping work done:
    I went ahead and converted it to BMP format for you, If you like it i could attempt to crop it for use as a portrait in game. Just lemme know what you think.

Well then.. i think i may have found the perfect one, in fact it looks almost exactly like the paperdoll in game, however it needs some cropping work done:
    I went ahead and converted it to BMP format for you, If you like it i could attempt to crop it for use as a portrait in game. Just lemme know what you think.

It should be noted however that i found this via google, so i cannot safely say whether or not the needed permissions for its use are available.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    Using that picutre would be a worst possible thing to happen. Really, why all suggestions are some naked demonic girls? Come on... Not sure if you even know the dialogues. The portrait should also match at least a tiny bit the character...
    EdvinlolienCrevsDaakArthas

Using that picutre would be a worst possible thing to happen.

In addition, use of such an image without the author's permission is theft. :)

Really, why all suggestions are some naked demonic girls? Come on...

That is perfectly understandable.
    The body of the half dragon is not exactly built for armor or clothing.

But the final portrait should contain more scales, less hooves, larger dose of red color and better matching head.

Something like this (but little more scales and little less clothes):
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    It's really a shame that Black Isle Studios not given Madae a portrait.
    @Edvin something like this B)
    Well i try to find some FACE ;) centered portrait.
    Its easy enough to make a face centered portrait for example:
    So as i said, I can atleast assist with that, though i can't promise how well done the end result is as this is not something i do terribly often.
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    ;) Are you sure that's a half-dragon?
    Seems much more like a punk to me.
    CrevsDaakArthas
    egbert said:

;) Are you sure that's a half-dragon?
    Seems much more like a punk to me.

If "Punks" as you describe them all have scaley red tails and wings then.. Damn.. I wanna be a punk too.

Its easy enough to make a face centered portrait for example:
    So as i said, I can atleast assist with that, though i can't promise how well done the end result is as this is not something i do terribly often.

I never said that I like that picture.
    (Used style is absolutely incompatible with BG portraits).
    It was only a demonstration of the correct half dragon body.

It's really a shame that Black Isle Studios not given Madae a portrait.
    @Edvin something like this

B)
    Well i try to find some FACE ;) centered portrait.
    Very nice picture, the author is very talented.
    Too bad that all his pictures look like illustrations for horror.
    Sheena can look little demonically, but there is a certain limit.
    Well if you do find a photo you like/have permission to use, let me know if you'd like some help cropping the photo, always happy to help with the Sheena project.
    I'm curious, when version 2.5 will be released? I for one am super excited to see the next stage of this mod, After-all Sheena was always my favorite companion, and i for one cannot thank you enough for picking up the torch in regards to the mod itself.
    That being said can we look forward to any changes to her sword or armor in future versions such as an increase to casting speed or number of spells memorized or simply a bonus to armor class? In my opinion any of these things if even implemented slightly would be a huge boon.
    In addition is there any possibility of a standalone import/export character to be used as the player character? Or at the very least can we expect her to remain an exportable/importable character?
    I for one find the idea of starting a game and using EE keeper to change her alignment rather fun. After-all playing as a half dragon(While not exactly lore-friendly depending on how you think about it) can be quite fun, that and Sheena is one of the more unique and useful companions out there, right up there with other companions such as Varshoon or the now defunct(As far as i am aware) Goo the Eyeball/Beholder companion.
    Regardless, Keep up the good work and i am looking forward to future updates on the progress of the mod! \o/
  • PietiaSPietiaS Member Posts: 1
    Are her dialogs suspended after some time? After few talks Sheena stopped to talk to PC and her SHEENATALKTIME timer don’t move. Maybe I have to go to next chapter (I am still in chapter 2)? Or it is a bug, and everything is screwed up? ;)

Another small bug – Sheena tried to banter with Mazzy, even if Mazzy wasn’t in the party (Mazzy was standing very close to my squad, but she was temporarily out of the party, it was during Mazzy`s personal quest). I increased SHEENATALKMAZZYTIMER global in EE Keeper, to avoid this.

Anyway – it is fine idea to “resurrect” this modification. I wish You best luck with this :)
    PietiaS said:

Another small bug – Sheena tried to banter with Mazzy, even if Mazzy wasn’t in the party (Mazzy was standing very close to my squad, but she was temporarily out of the party, it was during Mazzy`s personal quest). I increased SHEENATALKMAZZYTIMER global in EE Keeper, to avoid this.

This is one of the many mistakes that I corrected in new version.
    Release should be quite soon.
    MateoFrozenAcheronTheOdd
    edited March 2017
    No release of the update yet? Has this project been abandoned? That would be a sad thing indeed, Sheena is a cool companion, Would suck for this project to fall to the way side.
    The new version is already done, but testing takes a long time.
    I'm not a professional and coding is quite complicated and confusing.
    Furthermore, this is not the only mod on which I work.
    MateoFrozen
  • FesbraFesbra Member Posts: 0
    Listen guys.
    Whatever you do for the love of what you do. Do not use other people's work in it. Ask for permission, specially if it intends on cropping images and adjusting them and interfering them. If you want a specific work done for a specific character, I suggest to save some money and start playing the "adult game" of contracting services.
    No such thing as a work for free from artists that do have skills in this area, because it takes time and effort to get there and we need to sustain ourselves with payment to keep doing what we love and what you guys admire in video games such as this one. If you're creating a mod and you choose not to spend a dime on it, then you''ll have to face the consequences of anyone actually wanting to join you.
    I'm writing this cause I got the note from Edvin to create the character for nothing. Exposure doesn't work for me anymore. I can make that on my own. Exposure is not a payment. It's a given. Because making an image is actually not a gift is a work that takes hours of our day that we could be spending with our families or doing other work that actually pays decent money. So, actually having the nerve to come up to me and ask me to create something fro free is quite insulting.
    Thank your attention and I hope this sinks in.
    Signs, someone that loves Baldur's Gate II.

http://forum.deviantart.com/community/complaints/2284262/
    edited March 2017
    @Fesbra
    I quote Hai-Etlik, who said it exactly right:

Fan projects to build mods are a thing and that some people do for fun. They are having fun working on their fan project and suggested you might enjoy participating. As a rough analogy, imagine some amateur tennis players having a fun time playing tennis. They see someone at the courts with tennis gear and invite him to join them. This other individual is a is a professional tennis trainer. It's entirely reasonable that the trainer isn't interested in playing with a bunch of amateurs in his spare time since that's a significant part of his job. It would not be reasonable to assume that the invitation is an insulting attempt to get free tennis lessons though without some additional reason to think that's the case. It's far more likely they were just being friendly and trying to share their enjoyment of playing tennis.

Obviously I'm just looking at this at one remove, but based on the information you gave, I think that's all that has happened here. They are not failing to value your time. They are (as far as I can tell) just asking if you want to join in their project for fun. This is entirely reasonable to them because that's the basis on which they are doing it. As far as they are concerned, they aren't asking for you to do work for them. Of course they can't force you to view it as being for fun, but neither can you force them to see it as work. Both are perfectly legitimate ways of looking at the project.

Some people just do things for fun that other people to for work. Sometimes they want to have fun doing those things in conjunction with other people and in order to do so they have to ask other people if they are interested. Sometimes the person asked will be in the "for work" category and sometimes, humans being humans, the situation will not be communicated clearly.
    Fesbra said:

No such thing as a work for free from artists that do have skills in this area, because it takes time and effort to get there and we need to sustain ourselves with payment to keep doing what we love and what you guys admire in video games such as this one. If you're creating a mod and you choose not to spend a dime on it, then you''ll have to face the consequences of anyone actually wanting to join you.

Let me tell you a little secret.
    Lots of artists, designers, writers and programmers doing things for free.
    It's called fan creations.

Before you, I contacted five different professional artists.
    Everyone was excited, but unfortunately was unable to attend because they were too busy with work.
    The two pledged cooperation in the unspecified future once they will have little free time.
    No one was so rude and childish as you.

P.S.
    I was pleasantly surprised that you published our communication.
    You're the first artist that I know who voluntarily does bad publicity to himself.
    Well done ! :smiley:
    Post edited by Edvin on
    Armanz92AndreaColomboFlashburn
  • Sarevok08Sarevok08 Member Posts: 78
    Fesbra said:

I'm writing this cause I got the note from Edvin to create the character for nothing. Exposure doesn't work for me anymore. I can make that on my own. Exposure is not a payment. It's a given. Because making an image is actually not a gift is a work that takes hours of our day that we could be spending with our families or doing other work that actually pays decent money. So, actually having the nerve to come up to me and ask me to create something fro free is quite insulting.

I just hope you take the same approach when asking for help from friends relating to computer issues or mechanical issues. While it may not take hours to complete the work as it would for art, its the years, or even decades, of previous experience, that allows them to help you so swiftly.
    EdvinAndreaColombo
    @JuliusBorisov
    I really do not understand why you felt the need to apologize to him.
    All I did was that I politely asked if he would be willing to attend the mod development.
    His reaction was: "You scum, how you even dare ask someone like ME!"

As I see it, there's no reason to apologize (at least from my side).
    Armanz92
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Let's just move on.
  • MasterteoMasterteo Member Posts: 111
    Fesbra said:

Listen guys.
    Whatever you do for the love of what you do. Do not use other people's work in it. Ask for permission, specially if it intends on cropping images and adjusting them and interfering them. If you want a specific work done for a specific character, I suggest to save some money and start playing the "adult game" of contracting services.
    Thank your attention and I hope this sinks in.
    Signs, someone that loves Baldur's Gate II.

http://forum.deviantart.com/community/complaints/2284262/

So you wrote this wall of a text just to show us how awesome you are ? How important is your time ?

Tell you what, there is nothing wrong in asking something for free. You can simply say " No thanks, i don't do commissions for free ".

Instead, here you are showing a huge level of arrogance.

Get down from whatever kind of pedestal you think you are.
    AndreaColombo
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @JuliusBorisov Just for the record: the above comment was removed from the spam filter by me just now.

Note: We should still just move on as requested.
    JuliusBorisovlolien