Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

And what was that abjuration spell he spent so much time casting?

Sometimes, a character casting a spell will be casting it forever. I think EEs inherited this bug from vanilla game (if casting a spell lasts more than a round, and you're not slowed then it's a bug). It seems to be completely random. What I did notice is that it happens more often with "targeted spells" like Breach, Dispel magic etc.
    Be that as it may, I'm sorry for Carl. It was a fantastic read alltogether.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't remember when exactly I figured this out (it may or may not have been right after this death), but after some poking around in Near Infinity and some testing in-game, I discover that there are two Wish-related bugs besides the Hardiness stacking thing.

The genie isn't the one who casts the spells that stop time and rest the party and so forth. The mage does; the dialog prompts him or her. This means that one genie can talk to before you get a chance to cast the spell, interrupting the spell and preventing you from getting a Wish. Essentially, the genies are talk-blocking you because they're all trying to speak at once. This requires multiple genies to be summoned at the same time. The Wand of Lightning trick won't summon enough genies to cause this bug, but summoning genies during Time Stop will.

The second bug is that the Wish Breach option is erroneously set to cast normally instead of instantaneously. This means that, if you select it, the caster will cast Breach against every single enemy in range, one after another, at normal casting speed. In a room with over 20 enemies, that amounts to 4 straight rounds of spellcasting. That was why Carl was stuck casting an abjuration spell.

I prefer to roll with bugs, whether good or bad for my party, but I draw the line when they break the game. I decide to go back and try Ust Natha once more.
    @Grond0: I was pretty sure that bug only happened when the target moved out of your visual range. But I've seen it happen even when using an area-effect spell like Web. In the case of Web, the target can't possibly escape your visual range, because you're targeting a point on the ground. So I'm not sure.

@Aasim: Carl is still going. The reason he died is not because of the endless spellcasting problem (which I'd also consider a bug worthy of a reload), but a unique issue with the Breach spell from Wish. Basically, a parameter was set to 0 instead of 1. My post explaining the problem only showed up a minute after yours.
    @semiticgod

Got it. As per Wish-Breach, I actually created this bug (sorry...). It's fixed for next SR version, according to DavidW the Breach cast via Wish shouldn't get blocked by Dispel Screen/Spell Shield hence there's no reason to change that in SR.
    @Aasim: I'm not sure that you did cause it, unless you accidentally switched that 1 to a 0--the problem was with the Wish spell (which I understand SR does not touch), and not the actual Breach spell itself. In either case, it's no problem; the run will continue regardless. It's not like being able to Breach everybody was a big part of my strategy for this fight anyway.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,859
    edited January 2017
    @Enuhal Congratulations.
    @Corey_Russell Condolences.
    edited January 2017
    @Aasim Congratulations on finishing BG1

@Aasim Congratulations on finishing BG1

Tnx. I'm kind of rushing through the game since I'm eager to get back to BG2 part. I find BG2 much more diverse in terms of options and combat - BG1 is pretty much all about fireballs and detonation arrows, which gets rather tiresome after xth runthrough.
    Hopefully SoD will also be smooth sailing.... Imo, both BG1 and Sod are much easier than BG2/ToB. BG1 is relatively easy due to abduance of Wands of Fire, and enemies' HP pools can't stand up to ranged combat. SoD is easy due to the fact you start with your BG1 equipment; including Wands and arrows.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    SoD is similar in the sense that area control makes the game very manageable. I literally used the same tactic throughout the entire game.

Micro-update of Corewild the fighter/thief and his group of four wild mages and a berserker:
    One new surge was Paja got held by a wild surge during an ogrillion ambush. However, with direct damage spells, the ogrillions were not able to take advantage of that.

Safety in numbers!
    Neverused said:

Nador has fallen to Daveaorn: insufficient precautions the first time means that Nador didn't have enough offensive options to take out the swarm of guards around Daveaorn, and the second time through Nador didn't have his Pro. Magic to stop the Cone of Colds from obliterating him. I'll probably do a party next, as the pendulum seems to swing.

:(
    @Enuhal :( Condolences.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,324
    Sorry to see that Enuhal - that ranged maze from Abazigal is a killer for many solo players ...
    @Enuhal: I don't believe Chaotic Commands can cure Maze; it can only block it. You'd need the Remove Effects by Resource opcode to cure it, and I don't think Chaotic Commands uses it for that purpose.

Once that little cage appears, the spell has already hit, and Maze will take effect within seconds. The only way to cure it would be to cast Freedom, which takes too long to cast even with the Robe of Vecna, Amulet of Power, and a clear aura. Complete immunity, whether through Chaotic Commands, spell protections, magic resistance, rage, or some other immunity to the spell or opcode, is the only reliable option against Maze.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2017
    A mazed character cannot be targeted so I have no idea how you would dispel it other than using an untargeted spell like freedom.
    I did not even realise that freedom cured it.
    Post edited by lroumen on