Skip to content

How to change forum outlook?

frostyshfrostysh Member Posts: 55
Please, can somebody tell me how I can change a colors of this forum. My eyes getting little bit tired reading much of text there. The dark font colors on a dark background, the bright text on a dark background, the acid post gradients. Perhaps this is cool, but I need to change it to a standard - - - dark text on bright background.

Thanx.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There's no way to change the color of background for users. We think the current implementation is a part of this forum's identity.

The mobile version of the site, though, offers black text on white background.
    wubblemlnevese
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2017
    If you really want to change the theme of the site, then you can use a browser plug-in such as Stylish for Firefox or Chrome (I make use of it on various sites). But there is no end user option to switch themes (only on the admin/site-wide side).

Please note, however, that when you alter the theme it is only on your end. Any text formatting that you might use in the future that looks fine to you may contrast badly with the site itself for other users.
    wubbleButtercheeseCrevsDaakKamigoroshi
  • frostyshfrostysh Member Posts: 55
    Well.. It is cool, but if your forum will give an ability to choose between at least two color schemes (for an example, a standard, black on white, and reversed - white on black, text colors) for users, it will be double identity :). And actually, I don't think that the main reason why users spent a time on this forum, is the outlook of this, I have no doubts, cool and enjoyable forum :) - I think the main reason is the talks, the fun, and of course - the information about those games, and the all connected stuff that the users can find here.
    And if the mobile version is offer such stuff, why not try to add it into normal a version? Hmm...
    [i]Besides, I fear, with this color scheme veteran users is very identical too - they all have a huge and thick glasses :D. I am joking... .[/i]

Thanx for advises with plugins, I have tried to change those stuff by myself, in my current browser - Tor Bundle Browser, by pressing [i]-F12-[/i] . and trying to change the stuff. But with zero success :( .
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    The light letters on dark background is tedious to read and make my eyes sore. It's a reason for me not to read here as often as I could. Please give us a normal version for PCs, too.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    So there is no real solution. Well, here is my vote for a lighter theme. For a moment of truth, corporations think they can boost the value of their products beyond what they're actually worth with gimmicks. Like flashy colors or spooky monsters on their pages. Well, we aren't going to pay any extra for that "identity." The Infinity games are cool, but extreme themes for forums - with extra-tiny avatars, too - don't make them any more so. So how about not trying to be so cool and just giving people a comfortable environment to socialize? Or is your marketing department going to tear their hair out?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Believe it or not, many people actually like the forum the way it is. I would rather it be darker so it is easier on the eyes. Much better than bright sterile white with the feeling of staring at fluorescent tubes all day like the vast majority of internet forums seem to have.

Oh, and...
    chimeric said:

For a moment of truth, corporations think they can boost the value of their products beyond what they're actually worth with gimmicks. Like flashy colors or spooky monsters on their pages. Well, we aren't going to pay any extra for that "identity." The Infinity games are cool, but extreme themes for forums - with extra-tiny avatars, too - don't make them any more so. So how about not trying to be so cool and just giving people a comfortable environment to socialize? Or is your marketing department going to tear their hair out?

I can virtually 100% guarantee you that this has nothing what so ever to do with the motivation behind the design of the forums. This just sounds like a ridiculous and silly accusation to make. If you don't like the way something is, you can say so without throwing around ludicrous accusations that you have no way of knowing are true or not.
    bob_vengkjeronricoyung
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @frostysh
    if the font looks dark on your screen (in contrast to the black background) then, quite certainly, your display doesn't have accurate colors. if your monitor has bad contrast, a bad viewing angle and/or bad black level, and/or is generally dark, i imagine the letters wouldn't be all that readable.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The gray text on almost-black is borderline fail on the WCAG contrast checker (and does outright fail some tests); it is difficult to read. Using a gray gradient for mods exacerbates the problem.

Dark text on a light background is easier to read on monitors.
    Nostariel
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I honestly rarely use the default site theme and generally prefer the useage of Day/Night Mode add-ons. Much easier to read imho that way.

But then again that's purely a matter of taste and eyesight.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    The moderator's posts with the blue background are far better readable than the rest.

The normal posts in standard settings are horrible. It's especially bad on longer texts. It's by far the worse design of any forum I ever visited.

It's really only the contents that attracts one here but not the gimmicks, the poor navigation, the completely useless search function or other flaws.
    Kamigoroshi
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Just to clarify the blues are developers... moderators are gray.
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    With exception of @mlnevese. He is a green Gray.
    mlnevese
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    mlnevese said:

Just to clarify the blues are developers... moderators are gray.

I see.
    Even the greys are better than the standards but not as good as the blues.

(Great song title for a Muddy Waters tune *My Blues is Better than your Greys*)
    mlnevesetbone1
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

With exception of @mlnevese. He is a green Gray.

We tried green background.. not good trust me :wink:
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

(Great song title for a Muddy Waters tune *My Blues is Better than your Greys*)

The late great Yank Rachel used to say “I had the blues so long they turned into the blacks”. Odd that it would apply to a video game forum ...
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    font color used in posts could be a little bit brighter i suppose