Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    psycros said:

So we'll have some rangers who get divine powers at lower levels? Interesting. What will the trade-off be? TBH I never did understand why any single-class ranger would get spells other than maybe druid ones. Even Aragorn didn't have that kind of mojo. I can definitely see rangers getting certain kinds of knowledge bonuses regarding the lands their based in, a bit like bards often do. Hey, here's a thought: maybe zealots could get some kind of "intuition" power that lets them do things like detect alignment or penetrate illusions. Maybe they could be true ranger-mystics who are in tune with reality a little beyond the natural world - a bit like a shaman, but more warrior than priest.

They very much do get those sorts of powers. The eye of gruumsh actually casts true seeing at higher levels when in a frenzy, for example.

I'm open to any suggestions, really. I haven't put too much time into design as I really want to release something stable--a skeleton if you will-- that can be torn apart and rebuilt according to feedback and reason and whatnot.

Anyway, I've finished all kits and am just working on transferring zealots to the ranger class. This is a somewhat tedious process as I'm installing and reinstalling the big install. After that is sorted out, the rest will go fairly quickly.

I know it's taking a while. I'm checking each kit in game to try to minimize bugs for the release.
    Illustair
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited January 2017
    @Grammarsalad @subtledoctor @Aquadrizzt

I read a comment from one of you - which I can't find again, it must've been in the TomeAndBlood or FaithAndPowers threads or possibly even one of subtledoctor's other mod threads - to the effect that with the new Sphere system you effectively break down divine spellcasting classes and build them from the ground up; meaning that creating, say, multiclass kitted druids is simply a case of assigning a kit template that includes certain benefits and drawbacks and a selection of spheres appropriate to the kit.

That got me thinking. Would this same approach work for Sorcerers? If all arcane spells were assigned to a Sphere (sphere of sorcery) or a number of spheres/paths (like Aquadrizzt's Favored Soul kit) and doled out to sorcerers as they leveled up, could you then have multiclass sorcerers?

I realize that this would probably be a ton of work, but is it technically possible? The idea of a charismatic Fighter-sorcerer leading from the front has me intrigued - and judging by the number of threads over the years, on this forum and many fora, multi-class sorcerers (of any combination) have a certain appeal.

Edit: I know the Magus kit from Tome and Blood more or less does this, but it is perhaps a bit overpowered with the "use all types of armour" ability, and I am spineless and will have this guy running around in full plate even if it doesn't fit my conception of the class. Perhaps he could be limited to chain mail like the Barbarian? (Or perhaps I should implement the "casting spells in armour but suffer heavy chances of spell failure" tweaks to dissuade me....)
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Aaah, got it. Oh well, worth a try.
    Illustair
    Grammarsalad[Deleted User]

I know it's taking a while. I'm checking each kit in game to try to minimize bugs for the release.

No worries. Once you get the kits sorted and have everything working with install option 1, then send it my way and I will get install options 2 and 3 sorted out and then upload the new build.

Incidentally, I'm currently playing a druid-heavy party through IWDEE with this mod, and... wow. For all the people in the millions of threads about how crappy druids are in BG/BG2, this is the mod for you. FnP druids have tons of useful things to do in any given situation. They are very powerful.
    I'm finished with option 1. Options 2 ( and I think 3) are a bit...complicated for zealots because they get switched from paladins to rangers after creation to get stealth but not two weapon fighting ( and because I'm not completely sure what we are doing with rangers)

I just got the zealot of gruumsh working so, it's just a matter of doing the same thing for the others...I can do it, or you can take over if you like
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2017
    I'll probably just set zealots for options 2 and3 and then pass the whole thing over to @subtledoctor

Today and tomorrow are busy, but Wednesday looks open. I have the basic skeleton worked out so it should just take an afternoon. I'll then pass it along
    wyakpa
  • bhill17bhill17 Member Posts: 10
    Is there an download link for this mod yet or is it still in progress
    Grammarsaladbhill17
    Okay, done with option 2. I just have to test it and then option 3 is just a matter of copy past. ALmost done.

I should finish everything Friday.
    [Deleted User]bhill17
    Okay, found a few--er more than a few-- bugs while testing option2; all with various champion kits. Apparently i didn't test them closely...but zealots are good. Anyway, I have literally all day free tomorrow, so it's just a single days delay before passing the whole thing over.
    DymeDefbhill17
  • DymeDefDymeDef Member Posts: 66
    Ahhh I'm so excited! Getting SoD soon, just in time for my EET playthrough!
    Grammarsaladbhill17
    edited February 2017
    Kept getting an install error when trying to install the current Beta BWS uses (probably the last beta that was sent to people) and Spell Revisions, narrowed it down to the specific kit after trying to install each component individually.

I got the error and debug for the full pack install but the issue only comes up on the Acolyte of Deneir, every other part installs fine (though I didnt use the Update spell books component for SR4 as it conflicts with FnP and I was trying to figure this issue out).

http://pastebin.com/Ma7Fbc7i - Debug
    http://pastebin.com/CVm8D1pN - the Error it shows
    bhill17
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited February 2017
    @subtledoctor You can have a 'custom tp2' for any mod. Just use OverwriteFiles feature: BWS FAQ

@DymeDef
    In this particular case
    -extract Faiths_and_Powers.tp2 from mod atchive to ..\BWS\OverwriteFiles\BG2EE\Faiths_and_Powers\Faiths_and_Powers.tp2
    -edit Faiths_and_Powers.tp2 and coment lines 800-804 ( Acolyte of Deneir component )
    -now, witch every new installation "Faiths_and_Powers.tp2" will be replaced after extraction (beware when new version will comes out you have to remove the file - otherwise you will endup with older version overwriting new from archive )
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    edited February 2017
    @DymeDef et al.

Copy the attached zipped folder into your game folder, where you have the "faiths_and_powers" folder. It it asks you if you want to copy over files, say yes. You should be able to install the mod after that.

You can comment the kit out as well, but this will allow you to install it. Sorry about that. That bug has been haunting me for a long time
    Oh it's no worry, mostly just preparing for when FnP makes its next release and noticed that.

Thanks for the help
    bhill17
  • CaoimhinCaoimhin Member Posts: 6
    I've got a stupid question, where DO I get the Beta? I feel like I'm missing something, but BWS specifically says it is not available for download.
    Grammarsalad
  • CaoimhinCaoimhin Member Posts: 6
    Sounds cool. I believe Finch worships Deneir and the Acolyte of Deneir is PERFECT for her. Looking forward to it.
    I think a have a final draft completed. I just have to test it ( I've thought that at least 5 times today, but i think this time for sure).

I have to manuver around my wife when i get home, I might have to wait until she goes to bed...so, I'll be turning it over to subtleprobably very late tonight
    Illustair

Caoimhin said:

I've got a stupid question, where DO I get the Beta? I feel like I'm missing something, but BWS specifically says it is not available for download.

It's in closed beta, we've been PMing people with a download link.

At this point there's no reason to give people the current beta, when the next one is so close and is so much better. When it's ready to go we'll let everyone know. I've been considering the idea of making the next version an open beta - kind of like a soft opening - similar to SR and IR. But I'll leave that to Granmarsalad's discretion.
    Yeah, i was thinking the exact same thing
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    Can I give a "woo" to announcement of open beta?
    bhill17Grammarsalad
    It would probably be good idea for the fact of not having to pm people the link.
    bhill17Grammarsalad
    edited February 2017
    Okay, I've passed it along. It shouldn't be long now. (famous last words)

So yeah, this is still going to be an open beta. The mod should be more or less stable, but there will be bugs, and you will notice that it is unpolished (e.g. none of the new spells have unique icons; the fluff text is incomplete, etc.) The nice thing about this is that development is still somewhat up in the air. If you have suggestions, about just about anything, please let us know!

Next up for this mod: Documentation! I need to work on the readme and update the op. This is going to take a bit. In terms of modding, I am planning to focus on adding IWDEE arcane spells to the rest of the BG(2)EE(T) universe. After that, I will be focusing on new spells, both arcane and divine (many of which will be included in this mod, so that'll be something of a twofer. We'll get there
    Illustair
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62

So yeah, this is still going to be an open beta.

In that case:
    Woo!
    Grammarsalad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @subtledoctor
    Opcode 148's instant casting modes check range like Sequencers: The casting location/target needs to be within actual range of the spell to be cast, it just doesn't return a failure string when it happens like sequencers do.
    The problem, is that normal spell-casting adds a creature's personal space to its casting range, while these subspells do not get that personal space added to their range check, so at maximum distance it will fail with equal range values.

If the base spells range is 30+(i.e. its capped by visual range already), just extend it arbitrarily.
    If the base spells range is 5-30, either reduce the shell's range by 3 or extend the base's range by 3. (Or more, but 3 should be enough).
    If the base spells range is <5, either set the Shell's targeting to "Caster(5)" instead of "Any Point in Range(4)".
    If it would be appropriate to the spell, switch to opcode 146 and a "Living Actor(1)" targeting.

Items(scrolls) get around this by using the non-instant/Cast-Normally mode.