Skip to content

Quick Ways to Get to Level 2

Are there any simple or reliable ways of gaining XP early on in the game? I keep getting crushed at level 1.

I play with SCS, Item Revisions, and Spell Revisions.
JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Are you doing a solo, no reload run?
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    edited February 2017
    @JuliusBorisov and @Artemius_I are on it. However, if you're doing a solo, no reload run I'd suggest just finding an inn, ee-keepering plenty of drinking money into your inventory and parking yourself there. Too many ways to die at level 1 and even the most benign and risk-adverse suggestions can lead to an untimely death. :)

Edit:
    even going to an inn can get you killed in this game. Just have to hope you choose the right watering hole, I guess. :)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited February 2017
    As people have said, go solo and get to Beregost.
    A good tip to remember is if you stay at the very edges of the various maps, you are unlikely to encounter enemies. Especially heading to the Basilisk map from the temple for early xp, hog the north edge of the map then exit east.

I always go solo until I reach level 5 before picking up any NPC's. I've tried, really tried to have a full party from the start, taking whoever you meet as you meet them, but find it just too frustrating when you know the game. It takes soooo long to level up.

Just to add, as long as you don't hit Nashkel, J and K and X and M will stay in place waiting for you.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakOrlonKronsteen
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm actually doing a party run with a Fighter/Illusionist, War Hulk (custom fighter kit), Seducer (custom thief kit), Alchemist (custom mage kit), and Imoen. Going solo to maximize XP for other party members isn't an option here.

Minimal reload, since otherwise I'm never going to learn how to play BG1.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Quite tough with a MP party. Ensure your party gets some ranged weapons and keep your protagonist safe. Run away from anything ranged/ faster than you. Even if the rest of your party have to take a dirt nap for awhile as long as the protagonist gets to level 3/4 you'll be alright.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakOrlonKronsteen
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992

Awesome !! I have the feeling that we're gonna be blessed with some Trilogy (Tetralogy perhaps?) no-reload action by the Master Spider himself !!
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited February 2017
    I assume your alchemist can use sleep (wand at High Hedge even if necromancy spells are not available). That will take down most enemies in the early stages of BG1. If you put all your starting points into stealth for your thief you can scout with that to target sleep without even the need to rely on meta-knowledge o:).

As others have said the basilisks are a good option to get you going. The green scroll from the Carnival gives plenty of time for any character (even a mage) to kill every basilisk on the map (though with SCS that needs to be done by a character acting solo). If you don't know exactly where they all are then I would suggest using stealth or invisibility to scout them out ahead of time. Attacking the greater or lesser basilisk nearest Mutamin will activate him in SCS, so you may want to leave those for later. Alternatively, send in Korax guided by your thief, once the others are all dead - he has a pretty good chance to paralyse Mutamin before being killed.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakOrlonKronsteensemiticgoddess
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    If you play with an evil playthrough level one cleric of talos can become level 8 just in watchers keep by using the lightning bolt ability on the watcher keep guards by kiting them into places where you can abuse the lightning bounces. Not only do they give hefty xp but they drop the plate armour which can be equipped then sold multiple times
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaksemiticgoddessOrlonKronsteen
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

If you play with an evil playthrough level one cleric of talos can become level 8 just in watchers keep by using the lightning bolt ability on the watcher keep guards by kiting them into places where you can abuse the lightning bounces. Not only do they give hefty xp but they drop the plate armour which can be equipped then sold multiple times

You mean Durlag's Tower, right? There's no Watcher's Keep in BG1.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2017
    I think he means the Candlekeep guards (Watchers). Although I have no idea how you'd keep your reputation high enough that your mentor wouldn't blast you from existence. 8th level seems a stretch...
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaksemiticgoddess
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    BTW
    If further input is needed, I have found that many no reloaders have posted very insightfull post on the topic. @Grond0 and @Blackraven in particullar.
    semiticgoddessCrevsDaaklolien
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Easy xp ? Get a mirrored eyes potion and/or hire korax and slain basilisks, or kill them in durlags outer area.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited February 2017
    Danacm said:

Easy xp ? Get a mirrored eyes potion and/or hire korax and slain basilisks, or kill them in durlags outer area.

I wouldn't call the Durlag bisilisks "easy", you need to kill a battle horror on the way.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited February 2017
    I can't speak for the changes made by SCS, but in an unmodded game the only real trouble you should have with the Nashkel Mines is the ever-present threat of an ambush while traveling between areas. The boss battle against Mulahey is actually balanced with the expectation that you'll have six first-level characters, and Imoen has enough Find Traps skill at level 1 to get all the traps in there.
    ThacoBell
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited February 2017
    Pokota said:

I can't speak for the changes made by SCS, but in an unmodded game the only real trouble you should have with the Nashkel Mines is the ever-present threat of an ambush while traveling between areas. The boss battle against Mulahey is actually balanced with the expectation that you'll have six first-level characters, and Imoen has enough Find Traps skill at level 1 to get all the traps in there.

In an unmodded game the mines are manageble at level 1. Haven't played SCS in a while due to the restrictions in IOS. But I remember the changes as significant. Enemy casters are now a real pest... Reading the many no-reload post on this forum, one is best advised to wait until level 6-7 before venturing into the mines..
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Pokota said:

In an unmodded game the mines are manageble at level 1. Haven't played SCS in a while due to the restrictions in IOS. But I remember the changes as significant. Enemy casters are now a real pest... Reading the many no-reload post on this forum, one is best advised to wait until level 6-7 before venturing into the mines..
    I'm playing my first SCS game now and I beat the mines at low level. I had my Inquisitor, Ajantis, Imoen, Rasaad, Dynaheir and Minsc. We were all 1st & 2nd level. IIRC, someone died in the Mulahey fight, but other than that, we didn't have too much trouble. I didn't install tougher kobolds.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    BillyYank said:

Pokota said:

I'm playing my first SCS game now and I beat the mines at low level. I had my Inquisitor, Ajantis, Imoen, Rasaad, Dynaheir and Minsc. We were all 1st & 2nd level. IIRC, someone died in the Mulahey fight, but other than that, we didn't have too much trouble. I didn't install tougher kobolds.
    Tactical challanges kobolds are what makes the mine a "hell-hole", especially for low level parties.
    abacus
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Rule number 1: cntrl+q Noober into your party.
    Rule number 2: what the other guys said.
    ThacoBellRelSundanPapa_Lou
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    ... I thought my usual beginning in BG1 was a fairly known beginning. Guess not.

The easiest experience in the early game, barring mods or cheese, is almost always Shoal the Nereid, west of High Hedge. She's worth 5000 experience, has no ranged weapons, but if she talks to you you die instantly. Still, 5k experience is enough to get every single class to level 3. From there, my usual route's something like Beregost for the spiders and Marl, then the Friendly Arm Inn, Nashkel for the Pro. from Petrification spell from the Carnival, and then the Basilisks. You should be level 6 or 7 for solo classes, and maybe 5s or 4s across the board if you're in a party.
    semiticgoddess
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The sleep spell works wonders on ankhegs. You can also buy the wand of sleep at High Hedge which I think is usable by any class except wizardslayer. Might not work well for no-reload games but is laughably easy experience otherwise.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918

I'm actually doing a party run with a Fighter/Illusionist, War Hulk (custom fighter kit), Seducer (custom thief kit), Alchemist (custom mage kit), and Imoen. Going solo to maximize XP for other party members isn't an option here.

Read @JuliusBorisov 's "Tale of the tomtemic druid", the guide covers some nice places to get a lot of XP from. Since you got several party members, it should be a walk in the park.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    RelSundan said:

Read @JuliusBorisov 's "Tale of the tomtemic druid", the guide covers some nice places to get a lot of XP from. Since you got several party members, it should be a walk in the park.
    @semiticgod has already beaten BG1, as you can read in the "Maybe this time" thread :smiley:
    Neverused said:

... I thought my usual beginning in BG1 was a fairly known beginning. Guess not.

The easiest experience in the early game, barring mods or cheese, is almost always Shoal the Nereid, west of High Hedge. She's worth 5000 experience, has no ranged weapons, but if she talks to you you die instantly. Still, 5k experience is enough to get every single class to level 3. From there, my usual route's something like Beregost for the spiders and Marl, then the Friendly Arm Inn, Nashkel for the Pro. from Petrification spell from the Carnival, and then the Basilisks. You should be level 6 or 7 for solo classes, and maybe 5s or 4s across the board if you're in a party.

You must remember that if you do that, you lose a good helmet which you can get if you don't kill Shoal the Nereid. I always kill her if soloing, but always complete the quest fully and thus get the helmet if playing with the party. And @semiticgod played with the party this time ;)
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddess
    edited February 2017

You must remember that if you do that, you lose a good helmet which you can get if you don't kill Shoal the Nereid. I always kill her if soloing, but always complete the quest fully and thus get the helmet if playing with the party. And @semiticgod played with the party this time ;)

You actually can get the helmet AND kill Shoal. When the ogre-mage fight starts, have some of your team take care of him and one or two persons attack Shoal. Attacking her will aggro her again. Sweet xp AND a good helmet.

A dialog option tend to make this course of action legitimate : when you answer the ogre-mage, you can tell him that you can't let both of them continue hurting innocents (or something like that, I don't remember exactly what). I also think it makes sense to get rid of them, because the way Shoal answers when you say that you're willing to help her seems to indicate that she's not all that innocent in this whole story (she says something like "hmm, it will be most interesting" when you agree to fight the ogre-mage).
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddess
    edited February 2017
    Arctodus said:

You actually can get the helmet AND kill Shoal. When the ogre-mage fight starts, have some of your team take care of him and one or two persons attack Shoal. Attacking her will aggro her again. Sweet xp AND a good helmet.
    Of course, but I wouldn't do that on the lvl 1 solo. Facing an ogre-mage. Especially with the SCS.

Also, btw, did you know Shoal is not evil (under Detect Evil by a paladin)?
    ArctodusStummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddess
    edited February 2017
    Well, you were saying that you should either kill Shoal or the ogre-mage. I just wanted to add that, if you're attacking the ogre-mage, you might as well dispatch Shoal at the same time...

Also, btw, did you know Shoal is not evil (under Detect Evil by a paladin)?

Nope, did not know that. Thanks ! The way she answers, she must be neutral (can't check in NI at the moment).
    JuliusBorisov