Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Vallmyr said:

Maybe unpopular opinion, maybe not, but fifth edition D&D is the best edition so far and I think that's because it has the best multiclass system.

It's a popular opinion with me, that's for sure. 5e evokes a 1e/2e feel but with the lessons learned of editions since, the balance is better without erasing the unique flavour of each class, as you say multiclassing is done way better than any other edition of D&D, the mechanics are simpler which makes the tabletop version easier to get into for newbie players (and, obviously, easier to teach to people new to RP altogether), but they allow for a bigger depth/breadth of "I wanna do this" to be easily adjudicated, even with those simpler rules, than previous editions...I could go on and on, I love 5th edition a lot.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

You know, that's a good idea! I rarely use consumables, but this is a good spot for them!

There's a ton of wands of fire in the game, so liberal use of them plus Boots of Speed to roast every enemy in the way is always a sound strategy.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Stealth is more useful for kiting with ranged weapons than backstabbing with melee weapons, because it doesn't put the thief in danger.

Stealth is more useful for kiting with ranged weapons than backstabbing with melee weapons, because it doesn't put the thief in danger.

Sure, if it's a kiteable enemy and you want to take six hours to wear them down with yon flimsy shortbow instead. If you're combining stealth with ranged attacks, then at least use Darts of Stunning. Thieves need that +4 to hit anything hard.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Honestly, stealth is useless for kiting with ranged weapons. Kiting should get you out of danger (if opponent switches to ranged if you go to far, don't run so far. Have him go around you with his melee weapon without hitting). If you can't, well, you're not kiting properly.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited February 2017

I was mostly thinking of a no-reload BG1 context, because stealth allows you to kite enemies that normally could not be kited--namely, archers and Basilisks and Sirines and Ankhegs and mages and the like.

Yesterday I took down some Sirines without a Potion of Clarity or Protection from Poison scroll (or any other immunities to poison or charm) by using stealth kiting. I always had enough time to run away and hide before they could fire an arrow or cast a charm spell. Backstabs wouldn't be able to do that safely.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @semiticgod I didn't thought of that lmao. I thought you just used stealth in addition to kiting. I think that strategy should be named hide and shoot, because let's be honest there isn't much kiting/running around involved most of the times when you do something like that. I'm going to use this strat with my F/M/T run. Let's see what it can do.

Also, to deal with Basilisks get a Quarterstaff, protect yourself from Petrification and hit them to death with the staff (or any other weapon with more than 1 range, honestly), don't worry about your THAC0, their AC is bad. I wouldn't risk it against Basilisks, they have 1 Speed Factor, and honestly meleeing them with a staff takes as long as hiding after each hit does (maybe less if you're lucky/playing a Warrior class).
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i don't really like Ascension that much. it may be due to playing the recent beta and getting annoyed that it broke 2 of my epilogues but it just did not jell with me at all compared to other mods i use.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Guess it's a pretty unpopular opinion, but I really don't like medium/heavy armor & shields. Yuk! *^_^*
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited February 2017
    Well I'll say D'Arnise questline is worse to replay than pretty much anything else in the game for me at the moment..-.-
    Kurumi said:

Guess it's a pretty unpopular opinion, but I really don't like medium/heavy armor & shields. Yuk! *^_^*

Shield of Balduran aside, I don't think shields are all that popular around here. It's all about dual-wielding, unless you're a class that can't put more than one point into two-weapon style, I guess.
    batoor said:

Well I'll say D'Arnise questline is worse to replay than pretty much anything else in the game for me at the moment..-.-

The problem with it and the Bard stronghold is that they require you to sit for weeks and weeks to unlock all of the events, when that's enough time for you to have completed the rest of the game two or three times over, at the very least.
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325

Shield of Balduran aside, I don't think shields are all that popular around here. It's all about dual-wielding, unless you're a class that can't put more than one point into two-weapon style, I guess.

Reflection Shield is actually one of my most favourite items of the entire series. ;)
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676

Kurumi said:

batoor said:

The problem with it and the Bard stronghold is that they require you to sit for weeks and weeks to unlock all of the events, when that's enough time for you to have completed the rest of the game two or three times over, at the very least.
    Yes and the whole Roenall conflict is rather dull, compared to what could have been with the Stronger individual who hired Torgal. If they created a follow-up to that.
    Borco said:

Reflection Shield is actually one of my most favourite items of the entire series. ;)
    Yes, I was gonna say more generally that people only like shields that have special abilities. I also like the Shield of Harmony for similar reasons.
    batoor said:

Yes and the whole Roenall conflict is rather dull, compared to what could have been with the Stronger individual who hired Torgal. If they created a follow-up to that.

There's actually a shocking amount of unfinished material in Baldur's Gate 2, isn't there. That, Twisted Rune, the Skindancers, all the Unfinished Business stuff, Yoshimo...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Do you really expect to uncover all the secrets in the world? It's not as if you do that in the real world... Worse even...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Kurumi said:

I agree for aesthetical reasons - Minsc, Jaheira amd Viconoa look way cooler in medium/light armor
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Dire Rat is the best Ranger/Druid companion in NWN
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Borco said:

Yes, I was gonna say more generally that people only like shields that have special abilities. I also like the Shield of Harmony for similar reasons.
    batoor said:

There's actually a shocking amount of unfinished material in Baldur's Gate 2, isn't there. That, Twisted Rune, the Skindancers, all the Unfinished Business stuff, Yoshimo...
    Just like real life, I'd say.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    batoor said:

I though the Roenalls hired Torgal to get Nalia's father out of the way so they could take over?
    Bigfish said:

I though the Roenalls hired Torgal to get Nalia's father out of the way so they could take over?

Probably, but it isn't made too clear. Also, the Farthington Roenall that we see at Lord De'Arnise's funeral seems like a well-meaning if oblivious guy who just doesn't know his son's up to no good. The one who confronts you for the Keep seems like an older Isaea. That's not good writing there.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107

Bigfish said:

Probably, but it isn't made too clear. Also, the Farthington Roenall that we see at Lord De'Arnise's funeral seems like a well-meaning if oblivious guy who just doesn't know his son's up to no good. The one who confronts you for the Keep seems like an older Isaea. That's not good writing there.
    Maybe he's WAY more devious than we thought. The writer may have intended that as an "OH SNAP!" moment where we realize how badly we've been played. It'd showcase the "scheming noble" archetype well.
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2017

A fighter/thief who can actually pull his own weight in combat is more useful still. Why even bother with a single class thief after level 7 or so?

Voghiln was by far the most fun and entertaining of the Siege of Dragonspear NPCs, shame his class sucks in 2e!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ohhoho Bards are most definitely broken in the overpowered sense in these games.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Vallmyr @ThacoBell

Especially in 3.5E and NwN2 specifically.
    The default Bard is like a combination of all the Bard kits in one class.

You get scaling auras:
    -Inspire Courage (attack and damage bonuses in an aura)
    -Inspire Defense (AC bonuses)
    -Inspire Regeneration (regenerate HP per round)

Then add access to Light Armor (such as a Chain Shirt) or even Medium Armor and by extension Mithral Full Plate but also Mirror Image and other defensive and exclusive buffing spells but also debuffs.
    Then add Use Magic Device (Use Any Item scaling with skill points) and access to a plethora of skills.

You can make the Bard into anything you wish. Caster, archer, stealther, tank or party face.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Archaos Bard is my favourite class in NWN (2). But in BG a bit meh.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited February 2017
    I love all the Bards across editions. I'm playing a Gnome Bard in my current 5e game. Magical Secrets is great and I can't wait to see it in a 5e video game if one is made.

Magical secrets lets the Bard take two spells from any spell list as long as it is of a spell level he or she can cast. All Bards get it at 10, 14, and 18 but Lore Bards also get it at level 6.

Edit: I hope the 5e Video Game when its made has all the cool Bard colleges from both the PHB and Unearthed Arcan articles. So College of Lore, Valor, Swords (Blade), Satire (Jester), Glamour, and Whispers.