Skip to content

Book/TV/Movie tropes you just can't stand anymore

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
edited March 2017 in Off-Topic
You know when you're watching a movie/TV series or reading a book and they use a trope that breaks the story for you? Let me comment some common tropes that just trigger my facepalm reflex whenever they are used.

The 100% brain myth.

You already use 100% of your brain. Just not all the time. The brain is divided in specialized systems that are activated when needed. If you had your brain set to 100% all the time you'd be on the floor with a sensory overload and full body spasms as your brain activated every muscle in your body at once... Not a nice experience I'm sure.

It's working at 150% efficiency captain!

No. Just no. Nothing in the Universe works even at 100% efficiency. You always lose some energy in the form of heat, sound, radiation, etc. If something worked at 100% efficiency you'd be witnessing true magic. Is it too hard to say you managed to improve energy output to, let's say, 20% above specifications?

I'll list some more later :)
Post edited by mlnevese on
KuronaJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHThacoBellTeflon[Deleted User]CrevsDaakNotabarbiegirlSkatanlolienNonnahswriterButtercheesetherdretmaso[Deleted User]booinyoureyesRaduziel

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    abacus said:

The obligatory recap at the start of every episode... maybe it's a consequence of binge-watching/ box-setting, but I get really narked when characters spend 10 minutes explaining to each other what they already know... because the writers assume the audience is too stupid and/or apathetic to keep up.

This always makes me think they believe everyone has a serious memory problem or is brain damaged... guess what.. Even if I watched an episode a month ago I'll remember enough to understand the continuation of the story.
    abacusNotabarbiegirltmaso
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Probably teenage tropes..Especially if the characters end up being awful stereotypes. Pretty much every show where the main character has a family, has to waste time on some really uninspired subplot regarding his/her kids.
    mlneveseSkatan
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    batoor said:

Pretty much every show where the main character has a family, has to waste time on some really uninspired subplot regarding his/her kids.

Yes!
    Also, "she's having a baby!"
    mlnevese
    BillyYank said:

mlnevese said:

It's dangerous there! Let's send all the command officers!

Seriously? You have a potentially dangerous situation and you send THE ENTIRE COMMAND there? What are your troops for? Background? Any commander that acted like fictional commanders, abandoning their command post and going into every dangerous situation they find would get a nice martial court anywhere in real life.
    That's why I like like the Honor Harrington novels and other military science fiction. "It's dangerous there! Let's send... the marines, in full powered armor, with a heavy weapons element, and air support!"
    Good to know... I'll add them to my reading list.
    CrevsDaakAerakar
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    People underwater enduring explosions in proximity like nothing. Come on, you gonna be lucky if you even survive the shockwave.
    mlneveseThacoBellCrevsDaakwubble
    @Ardanis The entire category of energy weapons in movies and books are unrealistic in all ways, from appearance to sounds. A laser weapon would fire a continuous beam for a fraction of a second instead of the bolts they always seem to shoot in movies... Also there is no reason for the beam to be visible. Just watch this video of an antimissile laser system in action...

Skatan
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    mlnevese said:

BillyYank said:

mlnevese said:

It's dangerous there! Let's send all the command officers!

Seriously? You have a potentially dangerous situation and you send THE ENTIRE COMMAND there? What are your troops for? Background? Any commander that acted like fictional commanders, abandoning their command post and going into every dangerous situation they find would get a nice martial court anywhere in real life.
    That's why I like like the Honor Harrington novels and other military science fiction. "It's dangerous there! Let's send... the marines, in full powered armor, with a heavy weapons element, and air support!"
    Good to know... I'll add them to my reading list.
    Baen books uses crack-dealer marketing principles: The first taste is free.
    http://www.baen.com/on-basilisk-station.html
    http://www.baen.com/the-honor-of-the-queen.html
    mlneveseCrevsDaak
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    I love the magical disappearing and reappearing back pack that Danny rand has in iron fist. Even my 3 year old noticed it vanishing and coming back.
    mlneveseCrevsDaakNotabarbiegirlShikao