Skip to content

Hexxat is the best Enhanced Edition NPC [Major Spoilers!]

Comments

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    fateless said:

Aerie's situation in the tent actually is explained. There are little conversations and even dialogue options with the one that caused it before and after that explain that the little mad gnome did cause it all in his interest to be seen better and treated better than he thought he was being treated for being a bumbling little gnome entertainer. Kalah being the mad little gnome in this case.

(mad as in crazy just for that hopefully unneeded clarification)

We know *why* Kalah did it. We just don't know *how* he did it. He was such a poor mage that the audience used to laugh at his bumbling ineptitude as he kept screwing up spells. He was basically a clown, which is why he hated everyone and everything. And then suddenly one day he gained the power to transform all reality within that circus tent and essentially install himself as a god.

How? Dunno, the game never explains. I'm assuming it was cut content, much like the guarded compound and whoever hired the trolls in D'Arnise Keep.
    ThacoBell
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    SomeSort said:

fateless said:

Aerie's situation in the tent actually is explained. There are little conversations and even dialogue options with the one that caused it before and after that explain that the little mad gnome did cause it all in his interest to be seen better and treated better than he thought he was being treated for being a bumbling little gnome entertainer. Kalah being the mad little gnome in this case.

We know *why* Kalah did it. We just don't know *how* he did it. He was such a poor mage that the audience used to laugh at his bumbling ineptitude as he kept screwing up spells. He was basically a clown, which is why he hated everyone and everything. And then suddenly one day he gained the power to transform all reality within that circus tent and essentially install himself as a god.

How? Dunno, the game never explains. I'm assuming it was cut content, much like the guarded compound and whoever hired the trolls in D'Arnise Keep.
    Unfinished business fills in the blanks about Kalah.
    I think UB bases it's extra content on what they have found in the files.
    The quest now makes sense, you find out the how and the why.
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    SomeSort said:

Nalia's end narrative in ToB (which states SPOILER
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -that Isea Roenall was in possession of the Keep when she got back from her adventures, which seems to me to ascribe the initial attack to Isea or his father. But I concede it was never made explicit. I am more convinced by the attack made by Roenall Senior on the Keep when it is Charname's Fighter stronghold. About the Guarded Compound, I am totally in the dark. Maybe a part of the incomplete Twisted Rune quest? Dunno

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    SomeSort said:

fateless said:

in ub after you finish the circus tent quest you get another quest involveing a magic lamp. kalah used 2 of his 3 wishes to get the power he has.

and before you say this is not canon. most of ub is taken from the game files fans may add text but the basic premise is bioware's.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341

SomeSort said:

fateless said:

in ub after you finish the circus tent quest you get another quest involveing a magic lamp. kalah used 2 of his 3 wishes to get the power he has.

and before you say this is not canon. most of ub is taken from the game files fans may add text but the basic premise is bioware's.
    Makes sense, the kind of nonsense he pulls sounds just like the sort of sordid dreams cooked up by a moron and a genie's lamp.
    Attalus said:

SomeSort said:

Nalia's end narrative in ToB (which states SPOILER
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -that Isea Roenall was in possession of the Keep when she got back from her adventures, which seems to me to ascribe the initial attack to Isea or his father. But I concede it was never made explicit. I am more convinced by the attack made by Roenall Senior on the Keep when it is Charname's Fighter stronghold. About the Guarded Compound, I am totally in the dark. Maybe a part of the incomplete Twisted Rune quest? Dunno

Yes, the game does sort of hint in the general direction of the Roenalls arranging the attack on the keep, and it looks like they'd planned to develop that connection a lot more but had to abandon it due to time constraints. (Even that doesn't fit perfectly; Tor'Gal refers to the person who hired him as "Stronger", and there's no way anyone in the Roenall family would fit that description.)

(The unexplained guarded compound actually also ties into the abandoned Roenall plotlines; if you're traveling with Nalia and the Roenalls have her thrown in jail, your search for evidence against Isaea Roenall produces a document talking about slaver contacts in the Temple district.)
    AttalusThacoBell

Unfinished business fills in the blanks about Kalah.
    I think UB bases it's extra content on what they have found in the files.
    The quest now makes sense, you find out the how and the why.

I knew UB had some content to resolve the Circus Mystery, but wasn't sure where it came from, whether it was stuff they'd dug up or stuff they'd made up. Either way, it remains unexplained in vanilla BG2, leaving room for a sufficiently paranoid Charname to suspect Quayle of orchestrating the whole thing to plant a sleeper agent in his midst. ;)
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    There is also mention from the genie when you bump into him that suggests what is happening is through wishes Made by Kallah as well. but I don't remember the conversation well.
    SomeSort said:

Yes, the game does sort of hint in the general direction of the Roenalls arranging the attack on the keep, and it looks like they'd planned to develop that connection a lot more but had to abandon it due to time constraints. (Even that doesn't fit perfectly; Tor'Gal refers to the person who hired him as "Stronger", and there's no way anyone in the Roenall family would fit that description.)

Good point. OTOH, I suspect trolls aren't all that easy to fool or to be susceptible to bribes and promises of easy loot
    (The unexplained guarded compound actually also ties into the abandoned Roenall plotlines; if you're traveling with Nalia and the Roenalls have her thrown in jail, your search for evidence against Isaea Roenall produces a document talking about slaver contacts in the Temple district.)
    Very apposite. I had not thought of that. Are there any clues in the Guarded Compound that are suspicious? (I never do that one, but I guess I will next time through)

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited May 2017
    Just wish Hexxat could be romanced by male CHARNAMEs. Given that she is the only undead full time NPC, my experiment with a poor ol pale master will be lonesome in BG2. :'(
    Make your pale master female. problem solved.
    ArtonaSomeSort
    fateless said:

Not THAT important. Never could get into that in roleplaying, as I play most CHARNAMEs as a self extension, in some form or another, maybe its the big beard. :) He'll just continue to develop his juju zombie bride project in his Frankenstein lab, with Igor and Frau Blucher.
    Balrog99Skatan
    Zaghoul said:

fateless said:

Not THAT important. Never could get into that in roleplaying, as I play most CHARNAMEs as a self extension, in some form or another, maybe its the big beard. :) He'll just continue to develop his juju zombie bride project in his Frankenstein lab, with Igor and Frau Blucher.
    Your feminine side must be crying inside...

To be actually serious though. I can understand this. Each person is a little bit different. For me it stopped having as much meaning for me after so many play throughs and so many styles of character. Came a bit more about what I'm staring at on the screen for endless hours. So I tend to gravitate towards females a little more to stare at.
    AttalusZaghoulSkatan
    fateless said:

To be actually serious though. I can understand this. Each person is a little bit different. For me it stopped having as much meaning for me after so many play throughs and so many styles of character. Came a bit more about what I'm staring at on the screen for endless hours. So I tend to gravitate towards females a little more to stare at.

I used to do that a lot, but now with Neera to Romance, I just do males.

fateless said:

Zaghoul said:

fateless said:

She actually get's along pretty well inside, I came to appreciate that side more in developing active listening skills for conflict management/resolution at times. ;)B)
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    SomeSort said:

fateless said:

Wait a second! I do play with UB installed and hardly remember vanilla BG(2) but do you mean to say there is no genie in the quest without UB?! Because, if genie is present - what other explanation for Kalah powers do you need? It's pretty much all "how" you would need, is not it?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    SomeSort said:

We know *why* Kalah did it. We just don't know *how* he did it.

All he needed was the hedge trimmers; a drill; ... and some ordinary household bleach.

#youngones
    SkatanThacoBell
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Mirandel said:

SomeSort said:

fateless said:

Wait a second! I do play with UB installed and hardly remember vanilla BG(2) but do you mean to say there is no genie in the quest without UB?! Because, if genie is present - what other explanation for Kalah powers do you need? It's pretty much all "how" you would need, is not it?
    genie is UB only. inn vanilla the quest ends and we never know.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

Mirandel said:

SomeSort said:

fateless said:

No, the Genie is present, you have to answer a riddle then interact with it i believe once more when it asks if you are ready. I have never used UB and i easily assumed that he had gotten his hands on something that granted him Wishes, the Genie was the massive clue for that. Obviously once he is killed you never see the Genie again and that is end of the quest w/o any mods, so i guess from the comments the mod in question adds in some more backstory and perhaps an extended quest.
    BaptorSkatanThacoBell
    edited May 2017
    Borek said:

No, the Genie is present, you have to answer a riddle then interact with it i believe once more when it asks if you are ready. I have never used UB and i easily assumed that he had gotten his hands on something that granted him Wishes, the Genie was the massive clue for that. Obviously once he is killed you never see the Genie again and that is end of the quest w/o any mods, so i guess from the comments the mod in question adds in some more backstory and perhaps an extended quest.
    We can't assume that the presence of the genie demonstrates Kalah got his hands on something that grants him wishes. Most genies we see in-game aren't of the wish-granting variety. See: Genies in Trademeet, Genie in Chateau Irenicus. Even the genies in the circus tent are acting more like common servants, guarding bridges, administering tests and warnings, etc.

Also, let's not forget that in the Forgotten Realms, the ability to compel genies is a pretty common one among high-level mages. See: the 7th-level mage spell "Summon Djinni". One explanation is Kalah got his hands on a genie and used it to become powerful. Another is that Kalah became powerful and used it to get his hands on a genie.

Even if we assume "the presence of the genie on the bridge shows Kalah got his hands on something that grants him wishes", this merely pushes the unexplained causality back a step. We go from "How did Kalah turn the circus into a playground" to "How did Kalah get his hands on a magic lamp which he used to turn the circus into a playground", which isn't really an improvement from an epistemic standpoint.
    Post edited by SomeSort on
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    I'm pretty sure at the end of the quest when Kalah dies someone says something like, "I wonder how he managed to do all this? I guess now we'll never know...." It was meant to be left without an answer, and I don't really fault that. Not everything has to be explained in a story - it is nice to leave some mystery behind, some speculation.

Personally I always speculated he made some kind of pact to get the power. Perhaps a demon. Perhaps even Irenicus, given how close his lair is to the tent. You never know.
  • ShinsFortressShinsFortress Member Posts: 4
    I thought Hexxat was a good addition to the game. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the only woman of colour I wanted in my party was "Evil".
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    What I really hate about Hexxat is the way she is shoved into your face. All of the old NPC's will leave you alone if you tell them no. But Clara keeps interrupting you with her annoying pop-up whenever you enter the Copper Coronet. She's like Noober, but worse.

Thank god there is a Flesh to Stone trap in the sewers below.
    Blackbɨrd
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2021
    borntodie wrote: »
    What I really hate about Hexxat is the way she is shoved into your face. All of the old NPC's will leave you alone if you tell them no. But Clara keeps interrupting you with her annoying pop-up whenever you enter the Copper Coronet. She's like Noober, but worse.

Thank god there is a Flesh to Stone trap in the sewers below.

Edited.
    Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I was about to say, Rasaad doesn't give you the option to ignore him in Trademeet like he does in Nashkel. If you wander two close to the fight, you are GOING to have a conversation with him, whether you like it or not. Worse, the only option if you ever want him is to take him into the party, as he doesn't take your initial rejection well.

I wish that he had been noisy, but ignorable, like he was in BG1.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, and Viconia is the worst of EE npcs. You can't walk anywhere near the upper part of the Government District without her forcing you to listen to religious fanatics shouting. And even if you try to ignore it, you're STILL forced to watch someone burned at the stake. You never see the original NPCs do this, oh wait...

Oh, and Hexxat/Clara does not bother you every time you walk into the copper coronet. I've only ever had to turn her down once.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Yeah, and Viconia is the worst of EE npcs. You can't walk anywhere near the upper part of the Government District without her forcing you to listen to religious fanatics shouting. And even if you try to ignore it, you're STILL forced to watch someone burned at the stake. You never see the original NPCs do this, oh wait...

Oh, and Hexxat/Clara does not bother you every time you walk into the copper coronet. I've only ever had to turn her down once.

Don’t get me started on when Mazzy talks to you for walking into her prison cell

• borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Really? That's strange. What dialogue options did you pick? For me the pop-up keeps repeating every time I go near her, no matter what I do.

"I would... speak with you. I need help... I need help getting..."

I pick the options that I think end the dialogue as soon as possible, something like "You want to go to the Graveyard? good luck with that." Then I leave, return later..

"I would... speak with you. I need help... I need help getting..."

If there is a way to break the loop (without killing Clara), I'd love to know.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I think that loop might be a bug. It could be a non-universal bug (the IE is FULL of them), you dialog file might be messed up (do you use mods? Most common reason for this), or there is some script that is firing when it shouldn't be.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2021

Well.. if you want to skip the Viconia scene all you have to do is push enter or just click continue a couple of times and it's over.
    Post edited by Blackbɨrd on