Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2017
    Oo man. I've been playing with a Totemic druid, and I have to say its great fun, so far one of the easiest runs of this challenge. At level 10 you get some mean spirit animals, my shaman is officially benched. I used the xp loop in mutamins garden, btw, is there a way to ensure the lesser basilisk isn't targeted by the greater one? I had to spend almost half my stf scrolls on my charmed buddy. I finished candlekeep (this time I used the violet potion FeelsGoodMan), no faffing about! I'm at the final level of Durlags now, it took me a while to figure out the chess challenge, my spirits kept on dying almost instantly, and all the ranged attacks burned through my stoneskins. After a while I tried using invis from sandthief ring and charming the king, worked on the first try :smiley:

Its the first time I got this far on a LoB challenge, and I realized I have xp cap removal installed ~ so no go on official run I guess, but I'm having too much fun with it. I'm not sure if I'm going dual at 14 or 15, and extra spririt animal is nice but that only comes at lvl 16, 15 is only for poison immunity and better elementals I think. Still might be worth it. As far as weapons go, I think I'm going to go for staves, generally I prefer 2H weapons, but I might end up dual wielding scimitars, we shall see.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited June 2017
    Xagul in the meanwhile has cracked through the Temple of Bhaal...

Ziatar: Fully buffed he tanked the Half-Dragon quite easily - 1:0!

Neothelid: Xagul tried to tank the beast with Defensive Stance and - hurray - it worked great - 2:0!

Aerial Servants: Rebuffed he also tried to tank these two but failed. Up to 86 damage with 2 APR was too much even with Defensive Stance and Durlags Goblet especially as they nearly hit all the time (THAC0 -6). Xagul did not want to risk anything here (no Potion of Absorbtion) and went invisible - 2:1!

Akanna: Come on! The High Priestress is no challenge at all - 3:1!

Morentherene: On his way out Xagul faced the fearsome Green Dragon to revenge Bavaborass who had died here earlier. Not a fair fight in mind he targeted a Throwing Dagger right into the heart of the Dragon to instakill it (you still have to make a succesful hit roll though!) - 4:1!

In Bridgefort he bought supplies and got the precious Dragon Shield +3. He surrendered to the Crusaders and tanked the Fire Elemental down - time to move on to Coalition Camp once more!
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    @semiticgod so simple :tongue: should've thought of that, anyway, it worked out fine; without xp cap its really cheesy.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Who and where is Rigah?
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I believe that Dragonblade is also one of the items that appears in BG2 if it is on your person at the end of SoD.
    edited June 2017
    So I managed to kil Sarevok with my Totemic druid! First time I managed BG, on LoB + SCS Solo. But now, I'm having real issues in the first dungeon of SoD already. My summons get overwhelmed, and my druid can't fight really, and lacks any hard hitting aoe spells. Any suggestions? I think this is going to be a recurring problem in SoD as the monsters groups are generally quite large.

edit: I guess I can use pixie dust/invis ring
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,323
    @billy_pilgrim that dungeon is a real problem if you want to fight. Invisibility isn't an answer on its own as some of the undead can see through it, so if you want to fight you probably need to use PfU. Of course if you're going to do that you might just avoid fighting the undead anyway and go after Korlasz ...
    edited June 2017
    I wrote this post to tell you that Xagul is facing Big B soon but then - well - something really weird happened.

After scouting Hephernaan and crushing the Crusader Attacks with Detonation Arrows Xagul headed to Dragonspear Castle to start the Siege. Normally i let the waves fight each other for up to 30 minutes to maximize Potion loot - waiting near the edge of the map (but i forgot to make him invisible). After drinking some cup of teas and roaming through the forum - which lasted not longer than 20-25 minutes (?) - i switched back to the game only to see the Death Screen.

There were no Crusader Troops visible and also the log could not tell me why Xagul had died. My only assumption is that one of the Coalition Bosses - maybe Marshal Nederlock - had died during the Siege and this resulted in some kind of auto loss.

Update: No, Nederlocks death wont stop the Siege while the other boss Torsin de Lance is immortal. Still no answer...

Maybe there is a hidden timer??? Can you tell us anything about that @Ardanis? ;)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Tagging @Ardanis because I don't think notifications show up if you edit an existing post to add the tag.
    Thanks for the clarification @Ardanis! Well - Xagul stayed outside of the castle not far away from the map edge. If there is no timer or special loss condition some Crusaders most likely slipped through and found the waiting - and helpless - Xagul. Too bad. Next time i will go invisible AND put on Whispers of Silence! :D
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

If there is no timer or special loss condition some Crusaders most likely slipped through and found the waiting - and helpless - Xagul.

Yep, mage reinforcements have Horror at their disposal as well. It's not very effective while coalition spellcasters can use Remove/Resist Fear, but once they're dead and crusaders establish numerical superiority, I wouldn't be surprised if an occasional coalition soldier tried to escape through the gate and crusaders followed him.
    Yeah, i am thinking to put the SCS Shapeshifting on - IF Allacaya beats Big B. But if i keep dying in @Grond0 style :P i maybe have to drop back to Korgath sooner or later. We will see! ;)

Good luck with the Berserker/Mage @Grond0 - also thougt about that combo until realizing: Its a Mage! :D

Oh i also tested a 1vs1 between Big B and Rigah. The Berserker was critting nearly all day long - for up to 48 damage - and put Big B down to 622 HP before going down. But: With full buffs and Durlags Goblet he is even able to tank Big B - and take him down in a straight close combat fight. Crazy guy! :D
    edited June 2017
    @Harpagornis and @Grond0 Thanks! Great tips. My call woodland beings, though, don't have hold monster, they only have charm and entangle, I think one of my mods messed with their spells. I think I'll try and use PfU and go form there, thanks again guys!

Edit: Yep its aTweaks revised call woodland beings Zzzzzzzz
    Post edited by billy_pilgrim on
    edited June 2017
    So far everything is working fine with Allacaya!

She charmed Dushai on try number 44 dropping reputation to 4. At the FAI she spared some gold to push it back to 10 and did all reputation quests she could get. Shortly after she was sitting at 20 and bought Sandthief Ring, Displacer Cloak and Greenstone Amulet in Ulgoths Beard.

The main quests were quite simple: Sneak through to Mulahey - charm and feed him to the Kobolds.
    Use four Nymphs to wear down Tranzig and use Sandthief Ring to get in and out of the tent unseen!
    Taurgosz - like always - was feeded to the Bandits so Allacaya now proudly wears Full Plate Armor!!

Next will be the Cloakwood - Drasus and Davaeorn are waiting!

So far no near-death experience - the Nymphs are always keeping her safe! ;)

The only thing i am missing a bit are the lovely level 5 Druid spells. But one cannot have everything - no?

EDIT: Luck is on Allacayas side as she charmed Drasus on second and Davaeorn on first try. While the first one was eaten by the Guards the second one was slain by his own Battle Horrors. Time to visit the city of Baldurs Gate once more! ;)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,323
    Rapper had progressed as a mage up to level 5 without problems, but a slight lapse of concentration proved costly fighting basilisks at Durlag's Tower. I was listening a bit too closely to some cricket and didn't notice the familiar had got poisoned by a basilisk. Their poison is not particularly virulent, so that wouldn't have been a problem if I'd noticed and got the familiar to retreat immediately. However, it stayed in there and was poisoned again by the next attack - and that was a problem ...
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Hm SCS Shapeshifting + Fighter/Druid sounds like fun if it works.
    50% from Elemental + 40% from Hardiness + 20/25% from AOF?
    Hello unkillable Druid. :)