Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited May 2017
    While we are talking of the BG dreams, I kinda miss some of the old versions.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    SomeSort said:

ThacoBell said:

When using the paired NPCs in BG1: If you get one killed, the other should permantely leave the party to grieve. Unless the surviving NPC is Montaron, Xzar, or Eldoth.

Minsc and Jahiera don't leave in BG2 to grieve, do they?

If you spend 20k+ gold to buy a Robe of the Archmagi, though, or blow all your money on recharging wands, Kagain should totally leave to grieve.
    Nope, but they also aren't paried up anymore and have no where to go in Amn.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    ThacoBell said:

Nope, but they also aren't paried up anymore and have no where to go in Amn.

Minsc has as much place to go in Amn as he does in Baldur's Gate, seeing as he's a stranger from a far-off land in both places. And Jahiera has *far more* place to go in Amn than in Baldur's Gate, seeing as she grew up in the region, is old friends with both Ribald and Bernard, and there's a Harper stronghold in the city.

And the only reason they aren't paired up anymore is because their significant others were killed at the beginning of the game. So if they needed grieving space immediately after their partner's death in BG1, they'd also need to bail on you fresh out of Chateau Irenicus in BG2.

It makes sense for me that they follow Charname to get revenge against Irenicus. Of course Jaheira will soon have other motives, if Charname is "compatible". :heart::wink:

EDIT: Guess I should add an unpopular opinion:

They could continue following Charname in BG1 to get revenge against Sarevok, too. (Granted, Sarevok didn't directly kill their significant others and Irenicus did, but Sarevok was still the mastermind and still bears ultimate responsibility. Unless you got Khalid "accidentally" nuked by Mutamin's basilisks or something.)

As for your last point on Jahiera's romance... I think you're confused. This is the "unpopular opinions" thread, not the "did you know" thread. ;)
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited May 2017
    SomeSort said:

lroumen said:

I realised a few months ago (yes, it took me decades) that BG2SoA is an unnecessary chapter to the charname saga. It could just as well have been sold as a mere addon with some quests.
    The main storyline for the protagonist is fleshed out in BG, hell (due to the weak plot line that gets us there after SoA) and Throne of bhaal.
    I guess that makes the end boss of SoA as insignificant as the one in SoD...

The most important thing SoA does, story-wise, is introduce us to Viekang.

Edit to Add: the Phantom Menace thing was 100% a joke, but the Viekang thing was only 72% a joke and 28% serious. After all, the Baldur's Gate Trilogy is first and foremost the story of Bhaal's progeny and the chaos they leave in their wake, and Viekang is the only Bhaalspawn we meet in SoA.
    It's even less of a joke when you consider that, canonically,

Viekang is the actual final boss of the entire Bhaalspawn saga.
    Post edited by redline on
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @redline Might wanna put that one into a spoiler tag ;)
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    I thought the novels had been declared non-canon?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Only by the players as far as I know
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    The novels actually exist? :wink:
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    That they do; I had the novelizations of Baldur's Gate and Throne of Bhaal when I was about 13. Never had SoA though.

They're decent time-wasters but yeah they don't really agree with setting lore very well.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    That bit is not from the novels. It's from
    the pen & paper campaign Murder in Baldur's Gate which takes part approximately 100 years after ToB and rather shortly before the comic Legends of Baldur's Gate.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Spoiler'd, though I thought that was a pretty early development in the campaign (mostly a "let's get this out of the way" gesture from WotC).
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Sleep and command, as well as running away from slower enemies, are hardly advanced tactics or exploits.

However, sleep and command is not reliable enough against Ankheg at level 1 anymore now that enemies wake up when hit (a change I personally still dislike).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Ammar said:

Sleep and command, as well as running away from slower enemies, are hardly advanced tactics or exploits.

However, sleep and command is not reliable enough against Ankheg at level 1 anymore now that enemies wake up when hit (a change I personally still dislike).

That bug (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37789/spell-emotion-changed) has been fixed.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    As I have said before, this thread is for voicing unpopular opinions, NOT for lengthy debates.

@SomeSort and @UnderstandMouseMagic, this conversation is best left to a separate thread or PMs.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Of course.
    But no need to make it harder for yourself by allowing NPC to develop skills pretty quickly that wipe out a main enemy of the game.
    Why isn't "turn undead" capped? Or a "save" allowed?
    I kind of don't want it to be but when you can blow up a lich?

Turn Undead seems to have varying results even with a given cleric level. So, a level 9 cleric *might* be able to chunk a shadow...but it might just make it run away. Anyways, by the time you're high enough level to blow up a lich, the lich isn't really a threat to you anymore.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857

Ammar said:

That bug (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37789/spell-emotion-changed) has been fixed.
    There are mods around that will cause enemies not to awaken. I think that it may be Tweaks, though which Tweaks I have forgotten.
    I've moved most of the comments in the tangent to create a separate thread (Level Scaling in Baldur's Gate), but I could only get the comments from one page; there are more I couldn't select. @JuliusBorisov, how do I move comments to an existing discussion?
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Beamdog has done well in writing entertaining and downright compelling neutral and evil characters, but havent done so for any good characters.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

I've moved most of the comments in the tangent to create a separate thread (Level Scaling in Baldur's Gate), but I could only get the comments from one page; there are more I couldn't select. @JuliusBorisov, how do I move comments to an existing discussion?

1) move comments to a new discussion
    2) merge this new discussin with the thread you want
    3) delete the post by @System which has been created when you moved the comments
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited May 2017
    Dual classes shouldn't be able to put proficiencies in points that their active class cannot normally allow after leaving their first class.

Multiclasses should have all the weapon options available of their classes. They should also be allowed to get grandmastery if a fighter multi. They are continuing to train all their classes after all, its just slower progression.

@WarChiefZeke Really? You didn't like Rasaad? I think he is their best written character.
    @Blackraven is cool!

:wink:
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Khalid is better than Kagain.
    Xan is better than Edwin.

Fight me.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Anomen, Nalia, and Aerie are fun companions to take through to the very end because all three of them can potentially undergo soundset changes that make them sound more mature by the end.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    ThacoBell said:

Dual classes shouldn't be able to put proficiencies in points that their active class cannot normally allow after leaving their first class.

That is how I play. However I install mods that make it possible to use all items otherwise sometimes it is impossible to use items that should be equippable.

Anomen, Nalia, and Aerie are fun companions to take through to the very end because all three of them can potentially undergo soundset changes that make them sound more mature by the end.

Throne of Bhaal: record a new soundset for Nalia, forget to write her dialogue.