Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Mmh... So, this one is not on Beamdog. Nice to know. Still disagree with the decision, though.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    I still remember year's ago playing Watcher's Keep for the first time early in SoA and getting wiped constantly. Meta knowledge/game skill of course makes it easier, same as Durlag's in BGEE (and all Tales of the Sword Coast expansion content), but it was difficult way back when. After the Underdark, less so of course. And after 20 times, much less so again.

I agree that limiting the WK loot to TOB would seem logical design-wise, but you do have to fight to the lower levels for most of it, same as Durlag's. Instead of limiting it to ToB, I would probably suggest to remove the high-end swag from the merchant up top and put it on lower levels inside WK, i.e. Firetooth, SSof Mask, etc. This would be similar to Durlag's again, i.e. a merchant is there and accessible early with good gear, but nothing over-powered for the early game.

Personally, I think Durlag's design is excellent, and you do have to fight/avoid traps for the good items, especially without beau-coups of meta knowledge. WK is somewhat there, but a distant cousin.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Considering just how many Liches/Mages cast all manner of level 9 spells at you during SOA, I'd hate to have to slog through the whole thing and never be able to use any myself. So there's that.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited November 2017
    Wild mage is the best and most fun class in the game, regardless of how you play.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Arctodus said:

Mmh... So, this one is not on Beamdog. Nice to know. Still disagree with the decision, though.

You would, unless you played SoA without ToB and hit the cap right after exiting Underdark. When I got that I was angry and I used the Xp.2da from IWD1, which worked perfectly.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Redrake said:

Arctodus said:

You would, unless you played SoA without ToB and hit the cap right after exiting Underdark. When I got that I was angry and I used the Xp.2da from IWD1, which worked perfectly.
    In general I think SoA was better balanced with the old caps, even though it was frustrating to stop right before getting Level 9 spells.

Unfortunately, many of the ToB additions don't work well with SoA. Getting a few more levels and access to Level 9 spells would probably have been fine, but the HLAs just mess things up. In some cases you also get them too early, i.e. mage HLAs count as Level 10 spells but you get your first at the same time as Level 9 spells.

Best options might have been to expand the SoA level cap to ~3.5-4.0 millions and have the game give out HLA afterwards.
    HLAs were added because people on BIS and Interplay boards were screaming for the 3E feats. Bioware made a compromise, adding those instead of feats (which would've meant a revamping of the whole engine a lot more time to be spent on an add-on. Back in those days that team had a lot to contend with, even though their games were successful and the community was thriving. Their management was not. Herve, the "genius" behind Interplay totally messed things up for years to come.

I still suspect he kept the mythical source code of IWD2, as he previously did on some Fallout titles while Intreplay (the original one) was undergoing bankruptcy. He would sell property rights from time to time.
    Redrake said:

Arctodus said:

I'm not sure it would have made a difference for me, because when I solo BG1, I hit the cap even before the Nashkel mines and still enjoy the ride. And hitting the cap in SoA probably happened to me in my early twenties (I only had SoA after all), but have no ill memory about that specific aspect of the game. What you say is however a real problem, because that means that the original developpers spread a bit too much xp around. But they tried to solve it by breaking the game even more. With the introduction of the WK in SoA with a much higher level cap, balance was effectively thrown out the window, item and level wise.

My reaction was more about solo playing, because, when you solo BG2, you hit the ToB cap early in SoA and thus become ungodly strong. So, there's even more balance issue here... but, to be totally honest, the game wasn't meant to be played solo, so I don't know how much work should be done to balance something the game wasn't meant to support in the first place. It's just that it becomes so bad when you solo that this highlights original balance problems in a way that is difficult to ignore. That's why having the option of playing with the cap or not would be nice.
    edited November 2017
    Ammar said:

Unfortunately, many of the ToB additions don't work well with SoA. Getting a few more levels and access to Level 9 spells would probably have been fine, but the HLAs just mess things up. In some cases you also get them too early, i.e. mage HLAs count as Level 10 spells but you get your first at the same time as Level 9 spells.

Best options might have been to expand the SoA level cap to ~3.5-4.0 millions and have the game give out HLA afterwards.

Pretty much this. This is a very solid solution that also shows how messed up things became when ToB got out.
    @Arctodus
    No, it was not actually the issue of spreading too much xp. It happened because of the experience gained in BG1 along with its expansion. It is possible for a character created directly in SoA to reach the cap around the final battle with Irenicus (at some point in Hell). But if you take a character through BG1 and TotSC is going to have about 1 1/2 or 2 levels of experience above a character created directly in BG2.

It can also be an issue of the class you play. In my case, I had a dual-class ranger/cleric (ranger in BG1 and cleric in BG2). A cleric might hit the cap earlier than say, a paladin or a mage.

Still on the subject at hand, I'd advise some playtesting before a feature is implemented.
    @Redrake Well, the game has been played for almost twenty years now. I'm not sure how more playtesting would help. I think there's enough evidence lying around. It's a matter of making design choices at this point.
    Arctodus said:

@Redrake Well, the game has been played for almost twenty years now. I'm not sure how more playtesting would help. I think there's enough evidence lying around. It's a matter of making design choices at this point.

I meant the additions from EE. Extra experience from SoD and from added quests from NPCs like Hexxat can totally upset the balance and then removing the cap would be a feature no one would use. It would be more work for almost nothing. That's why I said it would need some playtesting.
    edited November 2017
    @Redrake Ok, I get it. And you're kinda right, now that I think about it. At this point, with all the extra quest from Beamdog npcs, the higher cap given by SoD and the WK, you would hit the cap probably somewhere in the Underdark. I wouldn't care much about it personally, but I can understand that people would be turned-off by this. I still think respecting the cap would make for a better SoA experience balance wise, but I would understand if that feature wouldn't be implemented.

Edit : At this point, it might be modder's work.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I also seem to remember that reaching the XP cap in SoA was not really too low. The BG 1 expansion did not hurt that much with <100k more XP.

But we must also consider that the first playthrough is usually not as complete as later ones. How many people did really do everything on the first run? Including all 8 Strongholds, Twisted Rune, Kangaxx and the hidden sewer dungeon?

Last time I started with an SoD PC (so I started with 500k XP), completed all "easy" sidequests, 4/8 stronghold quests, Dorn + Hexxat quests and ended up reaching the original SoA XP cap while doing the 5th stronghold quest upon returning to Amn, but before Bodhi. I don't think a first time player would have reached the SoA cap before killing Bodhi at least the least, probably a bit later. Being at the Cap for the last chapter seems fine to me.
    @Ammar I think most people were not able to do all 8 Strongholds as initially there was no mod to allow them for any classes. I do suspect however, that many players did the D'Arnise Stronghold, which earns a lot of experience. Pretty much the same with Bard stronghold.

Is true however, that on my first run I was a completionist and did everything (almost) before heading for Spellhold. Noteworthy, however on my first run, I was anxious to play BG2, so I skipped the Werewolves island part of TotSC. I reached the cap about the time I was exiting Underdark. Or more like this was my assumption based on noticing at some point later on that my character does not gain experience.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    There needs to be a modding scene and steam release for The Warriors like there is for other Rockstar games like the GTA franchise. At least a mod that connects all the different areas into one big open world.

Everything doesn't have to super balanced in s single player game. If you want to stick to the ways of old then don't do any of the new stuff or expansion that was added to the game with ToB or EE. A lot of stuff I am seeing people not like just seems to be stuff that they can easily avoid by just not doing it instead of wanting some forced limitations that makes everyone play their way.

I think you misinterpreted the intent of my comment. I'm not a balance freak, because otherwise I wouldn't be playing the BG saga in the first place. :p

One thing you seem to miss in my comment is that I was talking about solo play. In solo play, you rake in so much xp even if you do only the regular quests that you can end up at the ToB cap somewhere in the Underdark. And all those HLAs will effectively break the difficulty of SoA. It's something that the xp cap would actually prevent.

It's not about forcing my way of playing to everybody else - I'm really not that type of person believe me - it's about the exact opposite, which is to give MORE option to the player. If the devs would add a simple check box in the Gameplay section that you could click if you want to play with the xp cap, you could actually alleviate a problem that otherwise is forced upon you. And it would add quite a bit of difficulty to the game, which is something I personally like. It'a about having more choices, not less.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This thread is making me want to self impose the SoA cap next time I play. I'll probably just not level my characters up after 2.9 mil intil reaching ToB.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @JuliusBorisov Wouldn't that result in having even more XP though :D
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It would, but that is quite a challenge, and for me a challenge can perfectly result in additional XP.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @JuliusBorisov: You're already playing LoB mode; how much worse would it really be?