Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

@JuliusBorisov: You're already playing LoB mode; how much worse would it really be?

You really don't want to know.

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

I'm glad the game doesn's send 50,000 high level fighters, wizards and clerics + demons and what not after you. I'm a simple man.

Yeah, nobody needs that much XP. :wink:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Well, if you fought 50,000 high-level enemies and each of them gave 10,000 XP a pop, then wiping out all of them would give about 500 million XP. If we go by 3rd edition leveling growth, looks like that's about enough to hit level 1000, pretty much on the dot. A Chaotic Neutral character could have 100 levels as a mage, bard, sorcerer, fighter, rogue, warlock, barbarian, favored soul, cleric, and druid each.

You know, by the end of the fight, it wouldn't even be that hard.

I'm glad the game doesn's send 50,000 high level fighters, wizards and clerics + demons and what not after you. I'm a simple man.

Yeah, nobody needs that much XP. :wink:
    640k should be enough for anybody.

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

Well, if you fought 50,000 high-level enemies and each of them gave 10,000 XP a pop, then wiping out all of them would give about 500 million XP. If we go by 3rd edition leveling growth, looks like that's about enough to hit level 1000, pretty much on the dot. A Chaotic Neutral character could have 100 levels as a mage, bard, sorcerer, fighter, rogue, warlock, barbarian, favored soul, cleric, and druid each.

You know, by the end of the fight, it wouldn't even be that hard.

That is accounting for the Multiclass XP penalty, right?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    You know, about the HLA issue:

I don't like it, so I just don't use it.

It's too damn simple the way I see. Just ignore the icons on the quickslot or spellbook.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    Raduziel said:

You know, about the HLA issue:

I don't like it, so I just don't use it.

It's too damn simple the way I see. Just ignore the icons on the quickslot or spellbook.

I agree. I'm the same with weapons in Dark Horizons. If I think they are overpowered they go into my back-pack until I come to a mod quest where I think their use is justifiable.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Unpopular Opinion dump:

SCS style "seek and destroy" AI is more immersion breaking than enemies being stupid and standing around. Fighting against some undead summons without ever seeing the summoner should not then send enemies on a beeline towards the party or the mage, likewise a fireball sent off the screen followed by a quick retreat should leave the enemies moving towards the original caster direction rather than following the mage by, apparently, scent.
    Having an AI enter a "wander mode" activated on damage rather than magical radar would better represent searching for an unseen aggressor or patrolling for additional enemies after dealing with initial intruders (and most "natural" enemies should always have this wandering behaviour rather than standing around in formation waiting to be scouted).

SoA, particularly on insane, has far, far too many enemies and it breaks immersion, and isn't particularly more challenging so much as over-rewarding AOE wand spam which is already one of the strongest strategies in BG. There aren't enough graves in the prologue to contain the vast armies CHARNAME blasts through, and quite why there are so many (giant) trolls in a tiny random cave or standing motionless at the side of a road is beyond me.

Trolls are terribly handled at the best of times and should have been treated like Fission slimes instead - fail to hit them with fire or acid within the round they die they produce a new unconscious troll at self rather than waiting for the script to kick in (or not) - or just excluded from the game entirely.

Person specific item restrictions are absurdly arbitrary, and should not exist save where those items are absolutely necessary to emulate specific kit or character traits, or Boo, who is far too wily to be caught. Of the hundreds of magical items you run across through the series, why are only those items belonging to a dozen or so people somehow exempt? Kang'axx presumably didn't plan on his ring being used by some plebian with a Protection from Undead scroll, and Drizzt probably didn't want his scimitars being handled by a bald tattooed monk, so quite why some +1 Katana or slightly modded ring of protection are restrictive when they aren't is ridiculous.

• InKalInKal Member Posts: 196

Tactics Irenicus is most definitely not worth a few tens of thousands of extra XP. Not when you're fighting a shadow dragon, a CON-draining beholder, a superpowered Mordenkainen's Sword, and a fighter with total spell level immunities, all alongside a Slayer with constant effect Improved Alacrity and infinite mage spells.

No, that fight does not make the game easier. Not even remotely close. In a no-reload run, I wouldn't accept that challenge even if it gave a whole extra level to each party member--which it doesn't.

In my opinion Improved Irenicus Tactics/SCS Hybrid from SCSv21 is probably overall the hardest battle in the game. I beat them recently with a party with no lvl 9 spells/HLAs and holy crap I was pulling out my hair trying to protect my party members from his timestop-melee trick during SCS phase - lost four.
    Protag was half Orc aVenger's Wizard Slayer and it was so friking awesome to use her shatter magic ability against the Shattered One...

Also his cocky speech is really cool imo, kudos to Weimer 15 years later.
    One of the best reasons to choose a ranger, tracking, is not in the game. Mind you, programming it within IE might be problematic, now that i think about it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    tbone1 said:

One of the best reasons to choose a ranger, tracking, is not in the game. Mind you, programming it within IE might be problematic, now that i think about it.

In SoA It is a high level ability, though.
    Also, it already exists in iwd (ee) as a 1st level ranger ability.
    edited November 2017
    Damn, forgot about that. I rarely play a ranger, obviously, but it dashed well should be available in BG 1/2 from the word go, not when you hit 3M XP.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    tbone1 said:

I actually really love its implementation in Icewind Dale. It's not that helpful, as such, but it provides neat extra flavor.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Quayle and Alora get a lot less hate than they used to (yay!). Cernd's class is super underappreciated though there is no fixing his personality.
    edited November 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Quayle and Alora get a lot less hate than they used to (yay!). Cernd's class is super underappreciated though there is no fixing his personality.

He should have been named "Wayne Kerr". He reminds me too much of certain theater people I know.

Edit: You know, the kind who are obsessed by some political morality but try to sleep with anything that moves, regardless gender/age/species/consciousness.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

4. Icewind Dale was better than Baldur's Gate.

The truth shouldn't be unpopular. ;P
    edited November 2017
    tbone1 said:

ThacoBell said:

Edit: You know, the kind who are obsessed by some political morality but try to sleep with anything that moves, regardless gender/age/species/consciousness.

Wanting to sleep with somebody who is unconscious is plain weird. Unless by sleep you mean sleep.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Well, this thread took a strange turn suddenly.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Skatan said:

Well, this thread took a strange turn suddenly.

Me checking this thread for the first time in a while:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Yeah, keep on topic, folks!

Speaking about that: Going to the Ulgoth's Beard (and thus acquiring all the nifty stuff from there and the Durlag's Tower) till defeating Davaeorn feels unnatural to me.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426

Speaking about that: Going to the Ulgoth's Beard (and thus acquiring all the nifty stuff from there and the Durlag's Tower) till defeating Davaeorn feels unnatural to me.

It is not. It is a likely destination for any player who roleplays a character who says "Hey, Sword Cost, your iron shortage problems are not my problems. I'm though enough to get myself some magic weapons that don't break."

I see what you mean about Ulgoth's Beard, not so much Durlag's Tower. I can't see why there would be nifty stuff at Ulgoth's Beard. However Durlag's is something else altogether. Having been asked to help find the boy, how can you refuse, particularly when you have also heard of the treasures to be found within?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

Having been asked to help find the boy, how can you refuse, particularly when you have also heard of the treasures to be found within?

Sure, but I feel it's unnatural to visit the Ulgoth's Beard and thus meet the boy :)

That's my unpopular opinion.

Sure, but I feel it's unnatural to visit the Ulgoth's Beard and thus meet the boy :)

That's my unpopular opinion.

I don't. Having been attacked by Tarnesh, it is quite natural to run for your life and Northwards is as good a direction as any. I head for Baldur's Gate in order to hide amongst the crowds there only to be stymied by the bridge being closed. Knowing that there could well be further enemies at The FAI (Having been attacked there, I didn't venture inside) I head in the opposite direction.

I agree. Yours is an unpopular opinion. :)