Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I consider Viconia far more whiny than Aerie in terms of character. I’ll admit Aerie’s ‘tired’ line grates on my nerves though.

I will never understand how people are unable to stand Aerie yet consider Viconia’s victim playing behavior okay.

Not to mention her blatant abusiveness as well.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Using choke points to kill Iron/Adamantite Golems from a safe distance is not just logical, but is the developers' intended strategy. Those golems, unlike the smaller Clay and Stone Golems, are always located right next to a convenient choke point.

IIRC, there's no choke point at the Planar Sphere.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

Using choke points to kill Iron/Adamantite Golems from a safe distance is not just logical, but is the developers' intended strategy. Those golems, unlike the smaller Clay and Stone Golems, are always located right next to a convenient choke point.

Not in Icewind Dale they're not
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I only battled Yxonomei at level 7 once, because since then I've abused the difficulty rules to be a good bit stronger than that by the time I faced her. To this day I have no idea how the hell I pulled it off at low levels like those. And yeah, she's got Yuan-Ti to back her up, and Yuan-Ti wizards in your rear as I recall, it's absurd.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    In fairness to Yx, it's not especially taxing of a fight at Core Rules difficulty. She might be immune to most disabler spells, but her minions aren't. And they're most of what breaks tactics in that fight.

Fun fact: last time I did that fight I used Yx's (or her minions'? I forget who cast it) Cloudkill spell against her minions. All I did was layer Entangle+Grease+Web onto the cloud and back into the side room they all came out of. I did lose my bait character but she wasn't carrying much anyway.
    It's been so long since I've done IWD, and honestly most of my Yxonomei fights tend to be confusing since I've always defaulted to that Pit of Doom thing, plus hasted summons, but what spells/ranged attacks does she even have? If none, then just kite her, and I'm pretty sure there's some arrows that are effective against her. If not, let summons take her hits while the melee guys do their thing. By herself, she isn't as imposing as her stats would indicate, in my experience.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    DJKajuru said:

I don't know how popular it is, but the prologue of IWD os way, waaay more fun and replayable than Candlekeep.

That's because IWD as a whole is way way more fun and replayable than BG. :tongue:
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Best way to enjoy IWD is to play on Core (normal) rules.

And back before HoW as released Yxunomei was even harder. She was immune to weapons below +3. So no Arrows +2 could hit her and the generic +3 weapons found in Conlan's Store were not there either.

Only Conlan's Hammer could hit her and Snow Maiden's Reaver (as it deals cold damage) if you were lucky enough to get it.

Also, some spells, like Skull Trap, Chromatic Orb and Shocking Grasp (best spell against her as back then she was particularly vulnerable to electricity).
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2017
    Redrake said:

Best way to enjoy IWD is to play on Core (normal) rules.

And back before HoW as released Yxunomei was even harder. She was immune to weapons below +3. So no Arrows +2 could hit her and the generic +3 weapons found in Conlan's Store were not there either.

Only Conlan's Hammer could hit her and Snow Maiden's Reaver (as it deals cold damage) if you were lucky enough to get it.

Also, some spells, like Skull Trap, Chromatic Orb and Shocking Grasp (best spell against her as back then she was particularly vulnerable to electricity).

Huh. I have HoW, maybe I should get around to installing it for once instead of playing vanilla. Then maybe I wouldn't have such a Bad Time with Yxunomei every playthrough. Any chance they nerfed Poquelin as well? He's where I get stuck and my playthrough ends every single time. I play on core rules every time, but I can't beat him even if I temporarily change it to the easiest setting (he is the only boss in the game that's ever made me leave Core at all).

Huh. I have HoW, maybe I should get around to installing it for once instead of playing vanilla. Then maybe I wouldn't have such a Bad Time with Yxunomei every playthrough. Any chance they nerfed Poquelin as well? He's where I get stuck and my playthrough ends every single time. I play on core rules every time, but I can't beat him even if I temporarily change it to the easiest setting (he is the only boss in the game that's ever made me leave Core at all).

If you mean the final battle with Poquelin, that one actually gets a lot harder. In addition to iron golems, he gets a pair of Cornugon devils to back him up. Don't ever let one hit you in melee, or you'll take bleed damage for what feels like forever, and never be able to cast again. Also, it makes Everard's last scene even more ridiculous, since in addition to tanking Poquelin's Searing Orb, those two whale on him for like 200-300 damage while he's just doing his thing, and he takes all of it. Makes you wonder if he actually had to retire from fighting.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

If you mean the final battle with Poquelin, that one actually gets a lot harder. In addition to iron golems, he gets a pair of Cornugon devils to back him up. Don't ever let one hit you in melee, or you'll take bleed damage for what feels like forever, and never be able to cast again. Also, it makes Everard's last scene even more ridiculous, since in addition to tanking Poquelin's Searing Orb, those two whale on him for like 200-300 damage while he's just doing his thing, and he takes all of it. Makes you wonder if he actually had to retire from fighting.
    Naw, I mean the first fight with him, in Dorn's Deep.

Naw, I mean the first fight with him, in Dorn's Deep.

Oh, well, I have no idea. I always buff to the gills and make a beeline for Poquelin, and the fight ends in less than 30 seconds. Ignore his buddies, I say, they're not important.

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    That battle is intended to be easy. Poquelin is scripted to teleport after he gets to injured status (basically 50% HPs loss) and human Poquelin does not have many HPs to begin with.

HoW actually made that battle way easier, because many players were tempted to go and do HoW and TotL before the final battle. Thus, that battle and the one against Belhifet were way easier. I rarely picked that route, preferring to go the old way of importing characters to HoW.

Also, personally, I enjoyed the older animations for characters as they were in the original non-HoW version of the game or in the original before TuTu BG1.

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @LadyEibhilinRhett I usually beat poquelin by force - haste your fighters and boost them , tgen have them charge straight at poquelin.