0.00%
    9. Wand of Sleep
        4.76%
    10. Wand of Lightning
        7.14%
Montresor_SP

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I use the Wand of Monster Summoning most often, usually for defensive purposes, but I've always had fascination with the potential of the Wand of Paralyzation. It's effectively a death sentence if it works, and with a -4 save penalty, the chance of success is pretty excellent.

That being said, the Wand of Lightning trick, exclusive to BG2 and Item Revisions in BG, can multiply all on-self spells and all quick items by six times, from Sunfire to Mass Cure to Boon of Lathander to the Efreeti Bottle, Book of Daily Spell, and all manner of scrolls, potions, and even other wands. It's easily the most powerful and versatile item in the game, with the possible exception of the Staff of the Magi.
    ThacoBellAerakarMontresor_SP
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    BG1 Wand of Paralyzation no doubt.

In SoD I just bombard everything from a safe distance..So I'll probably go for wands of fire there. You are swarmed with enemies very often there.
    Aerakar
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Shandyr said:

Wand of Polymorphing! Because squirrels <3 Shouldn't everyone be a squirrel? :)

Second would be the Wand of Wonder. I remember defeating Kangaxx with it once :smiley: </p>

Does that run the risk of ruining equipment? I swear I've hardly ever tested polymorphing targets before.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    batoor
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I can't not use the trick.
    semiticgoddessRelSundan
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I use the Wand of Monster Summoning most often, usually for defensive purposes, but I've always had fascination with the potential of the Wand of Paralyzation. It's effectively a death sentence if it works, and with a -4 save penalty, the chance of success is pretty excellent.

That being said, the Wand of Lightning trick, exclusive to BG2 and Item Revisions in BG, can multiply all on-self spells and all quick items by six times, from Sunfire to Mass Cure to Boon of Lathander to the Efreeti Bottle, Book of Daily Spell, and all manner of scrolls, potions, and even other wands. It's easily the most powerful and versatile item in the game, with the possible exception of the Staff of the Magi.

I saw you posting a playthrough where I think you used that trick?

Care to explain how it works?

Please.
    semiticgoddess
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    because clerics need love too.

Although if the Rez wand was an option, I'd've hands done voted that one.
    tbone1
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    So if you use the wand of lightning as you describe and then switch it to the wand of paralyzation you can force 6 enemies to save at -4? Can you force one enemy to save 6 times at -4 by targeting the same enemy all 6 times? That would make my favorite wand nigh invincible!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Since I can't pick Spellstriking, I'll go with Heavens, because clerics really need the firepower to level the playing field a bit. :p
    Aerakar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Balrog99: Yes, and then no. You can hit 6 different enemies with it and they'll all need to make a save, but if you target one single critter, it will only require one save, no matter how charges you throw at it.

It may increase the chance of getting past magic resistance, however.
    AndreaColomboBalrog99
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @DreadKhan
    The only reason I didn't put an "Other" response, is because I ran out of opinions to add to the poll.
    ZaramMaldovarsemiticgoddessShikao
    @Shandyr
    Yeah, that would've been a great idea in hindsight. However I was trying my best to present as many of the "main" wands as possible, and the rest is history.

For now, everyone vote your favorite wand out of the 10, and if applicable, explain your favorite wand out of them all.
    [Deleted User]semiticgoddess
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited July 2017
    One of my first orders of business is to get this wand. It gives such an advantage to one's start on an adventurous life, esp. when traveling w/o a full party. Get it, and I feel much safer headin' out into the wilds, or to the land of the Ankheg in particular.
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    Kamigoroshi
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2017
    Choices, choices - there are so many good choices :). I'm not sure that it really makes sense to say which is best, but perhaps that's from my perspective of nearly always playing solo. I voted for wand of fire because of the high degree of versatility that offers:
    - you can fire bomb targets from out of sight, often allowing you to kill enemies without showing yourself.
    - cloudkill may do the above as well, but isn't much good if enemies react to being attacked. That's where the scorcher function comes into its own. The fact that the scorcher also does more than double the damage from a fireball provides some extra sweetness to that option.
    Shikaosemiticgoddess
    @Grond0
    Yeah, I've never been a fan of scorcher though because my party members always end up getting in the way and taking sometimes fatal fire damage.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376

@Grond0
    Yeah, I've never been a fan of scorcher though because my party members always end up getting in the way and taking sometimes fatal fire damage.

Neither was I until my first solo run =D
    ZaghoulZaramMaldovarGrond0
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

@Balrog99: Yes, and then no. You can hit 6 different enemies with it and they'll all need to make a save, but if you target one single critter, it will only require one save, no matter how charges you throw at it.

It may increase the chance of getting past magic resistance, however.

So not invincible, but still pretty badass to use that trick against mobs!
    ZaramMaldovar
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I went with Wand of the Heavens. Mages have sufficient firepower from spells. Clerics tend to be more defensive-oriented, so the Wand of the Heavens has a greater impact. Plus you can cheese one out of Candlekeep
    Too complex for my taste, I prefer my cheese to be simple
    (Recipe when Applicable)
    Step 1: Cloudkill
    Step 2: Close Door
    Step 3: Wait patiently as your enemies suffer
    Step 4: Experience
    Montresor_SPShikaoronaldo
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Depends on the situation of course but in Baldur's Gate this is one of my favorite tactics. :naughty:

ZaramMaldovarBalrog99
    @Montresor_SP
    Yeah, I'm glad that Monster Summoning cheese isn't allowed anymore, it made certain parts of the game too easy.
    Montresor_SP