3. Maybe
      19.19%
    4. Other
        0.00%
smeagolheart[Deleted User]Mush_Mush

Comments

• KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited July 2017
    I want to see a continual of the IWD series, whatever the edition they decide to use.

The overall stories that the IWD series tried to tell were enthralling, and their immersion and music are to die for. Who would have thought an old school isometric RPG dungeon crawler had such great immersion even comparable to many AAA title games these days.

Edit: To elaborate on the story part, even though it was always about "beating the bad, evil guys", which is as cookie cutter as a campaign can be, it was the fact that you can design a party of evil characters and let your imagination go wild. Party crafting has always been a part of IWD series.
    Cvijetatmasowsnavigator
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Sure, why not?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Without hesitation!
    semiticgoddess
  • DamantmDamantm Member Posts: 2
    I haven't played the second one yet (bought IWD:EE last week), but seeing how much more linear the IWD games are they are perfect for multiplayer. Would buy IWD3 to play with my mates
  • AbYsMaLAbYsMaL Member Posts: 19
    You know... I'm torn about this.

I'm not saying Beamdog will do this, but let's assume IWD3 comes out. Everyone who played IWD and/or IWD2 is going to buy it. Then, one of two things happen. The first is that we get a response similar to SoD where all the forum did was complain about small things (I consider Minsc's deleted line as a small thing, but tbf I really don't like Minsc) to where the game gets incredibly negative press like with SoD.

Alternatively, IWD3 might try to appeal to younger audiences, and so it may be extremely streamlined and the game is practically unrecognizable as an Infinity Engine or IWD/BG-style game.

But I'd probably still buy it to support the developers.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited July 2017
    AbYsMaL said:

I'm not saying Beamdog will do this, but let's assume IWD3 comes out. Everyone who played IWD and/or IWD2 is going to buy it. Then, one of two things happen. The first is that we get a response similar to SoD where all the forum did was complain about small things (I consider Minsc's deleted line as a small thing, but tbf I really don't like Minsc) to where the game gets incredibly negative press like with SoD.

Alternatively, IWD3 might try to appeal to younger audiences, and so it may be extremely streamlined and the game is practically unrecognizable as an Infinity Engine or IWD/BG-style game.

I think a third and much more likely possibility is Beamdog will learn from their mistakes. They did so with Planescape:Torment. And in IWD3 they wouldn't have to worry as much about messing with beloved characters. I suppose they could mess up Hrothgar or something, but it would be pretty easy not too. Then you just avoid real-world politics or any of the other butthurt-causing topics both in-game and in interviews.

If they are smart about it, they could make an IE IWD3 with minimal flak.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited July 2017

AbYsMaL said:

I think a third and much more likely possibility is Beamdog will learn from their mistakes. They did so with Planescape:Torment. And in IWD3 they wouldn't have to worry as much about messing with beloved characters. I suppose they could mess up Hrothgar or something, but it would be pretty easy not too. Then you just avoid real-world politics or any of the other butthurt-causing topics both in-game and in interviews.

The thing about this is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid politics. Life imitates art, and if everything that anyone could ever consider controversial was left out, we would have nothing. There are and always will be people who are incredibly offended by things that other people consider blase. A good product would challenge its audience and treat them as intelligent thinking people.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2017
    I don't know really.. I never did play IWD all that much because it focuses more on combat than anything. They might have made IWD3 with the intention to stay true to that? In which case I'm not sure.

So it's a maybe for me.
    AbYsMaL said:

That wouldn't end well...No I'm quite sure it would be an absolute disaster actually.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    If it was 2nd edition like BG, I'd be much more comfortable playing it.

I'd also love one that takes place after BG and has references to it.
    ThacoBell said:

AbYsMaL said:

The thing about this is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid politics. Life imitates art, and if everything that anyone could ever consider controversial was left out, we would have nothing. There are and always will be people who are incredibly offended by things that other people consider blase. A good product would challenge its audience and treat them as intelligent thinking people.
    Yes and no. A story can have conflict without having real-life controversy. And even then it can be controversial without drawing the kind of drama we saw surrounding SoD. But I do agree a good story will immerse you in issues that translate to real life. If a writer considers their audience they can be provocative without being antagonistic.

ThacoBell said:

AbYsMaL said:

Yes and no. A story can have conflict without having real-life controversy. And even then it can be controversial without drawing the kind of drama we saw surrounding SoD. But I do agree a good story will immerse you in issues that translate to real life. If a writer considers their audience they can be provocative without being antagonistic.
    The problem is that you can't always predict what someone will find controversial. People flipped on SoD for 2 lines of dialogue that you have to dig for to find. I only learned about that npcs backstory because people threw tantrums over it.
    O_BrucesemiticgoddessRaduziel
    edited July 2017
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

AbYsMaL said:

The problem is that you can't always predict what someone will find controversial. People flipped on SoD for 2 lines of dialogue that you have to dig for to find. I only learned about that npcs backstory because people threw tantrums over it.
    True, but as far as I could tell, the main reason people flipped is because a Beamdog employee got holier-than-thou in the Kotaku interview. A lot of people reacted badly that didn't read the interview, but it appears to be the catalyst and it snowballed from there. I think people still would have been annoyed, but if an employee essentially says everyone are idiots if they have different viewpoints, you are going to get pitchforks and torches. I could be wrong, but considering plenty of novelists, script writers, etc. are able to write controversy without this much backlash, I infer that being wiser about your audience and PR can help you avoid drama.
    Proont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I would buy IWD 3 if it had a good story and interactive NPCs that join your party... I wouldn't want a pure strategy RPG game.

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

AbYsMaL said:

True, but as far as I could tell, the main reason people flipped is because a Beamdog employee got holier-than-thou in the Kotaku interview. A lot of people reacted badly that didn't read the interview, but it appears to be the catalyst and it snowballed from there. I think people still would have been annoyed, but if an employee essentially says everyone are idiots if they have different viewpoints, you are going to get pitchforks and torches. I could be wrong, but considering plenty of novelists, script writers, etc. are able to write controversy without this much backlash, I infer that being wiser about your audience and PR can help you avoid drama.
    People are responsible for their own actions. Considering there was so much hate and calls for certain people to kill themselves, to the point that someone actually did, there is no defending these people.
    DreadKhan[Deleted User]Proont
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I'll buy IWD3 if all npcs are female, gay, or trans. You know, something new. Heck, there can be a token straight male, but he should be a fey elf rogue with crummy stats that nobody uses. Oh, and make all the romances sex negative! No wanton hussies! Except that elf.

On a more serious note, stories that don't challenge anything are objectively bad as a rule. BG 1+2 both were pretty out there games to go mainstream (at the time), maybe thats why they suceeded? I mean really, non-controversial also means 'enjoy having no headlines', how is no press supposed to be an asset??
    TyromancerProont
    edited July 2017
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

AbYsMaL said:

People are responsible for their own actions. Considering there was so much hate and calls for certain people to kill themselves, to the point that someone actually did, there is no defending these people.
    I'm not defending them by any means. I basically just said they have a mob mentality (pitchforks and torches). I'm on Beamdog's side which is why I said I think they could successfully publish IWD3. I'm just clarifying what I meant by Beamdog learning from there mistakes.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'd love IWD3. Another isometric hack-and-slash with good music and pretty environments would be lots of fun. Especially if they had strong writing like in IWD2.

To be honest, if they did make all of the characters trans for whatever reason, I wouldn't really care.
    DreadKhanRaduzielwsnavigatorProont
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

I'd love IWD3. Another isometric hack-and-slash with good music and pretty environments would be lots of fun. Especially if they had strong writing like in IWD2.

To be honest, if they did make all of the characters trans for whatever reason, I wouldn't really care.

I think it'd be interesting, and they *did* give us Edwina, the final fate of a certain Red Wizard.
    ArctodusProont
  • martijn925martijn925 Member Posts: 2
    Icewinddale 3 with the ruleset of BG2 for sure. Start at level 6 and go up to level 24 or so.
  • martijn925martijn925 Member Posts: 2
    They could start a kickstarter for this
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I'd try it. I may not finish it (to this day, the only IE game I have finished is BG2+ToB), but I'd try it.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I might. However, I haven't gotten around to SoD yet (thanks, Apple & WotC) and I haven't purchased PSTEE either (thanks, medical expenses). So that would be down the list.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I'm of the minority that actually prefers IWD to BG. This is mostly because I played IWD way before I even knew of BG, however, I would still be all over an IWD 3.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Raduziel - Re Temple of Elemental Evil EE. Have you had a look at Temple+. It does a magic job with ToEE and development is still continuing.

Gus
    Raduziel
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Icewind Dale 3:

Possible races include....

(1) Shield Dwarf
    (2) Gold Dwarf
    (3) Artic Dwarf
    (4) Gray Dwarf

The game comes with 4 possible openings, depending on what kind of dwarf that you decide to play as. All openings then lead to the same chapter 2, and revolves around your efforts to save your hold/clan. What kind of dwarf you play as changes dialogue in the game and how NPCs see you. Only read the spoiler if you don't care about the planned twist for the game.

IWD3 revolves around 4 different dwarven clans seeking to resettle Dorn's Deep.
    Depending on where you start and what your actions are, the face of the north will change. You get to make choices that range from allying with deep gnomes to destroy the nearby drow, to allying with the drow to enslave the deep gnomes. You actually get to conquer Dorn's Deep relatively early in the game,
    with the rest of it being strengthening your new home against all threats. In a twist which I greatly applaud,
    friendly areas with quest-givers for one type of dwarf become enemies for a different type.

Also, the gray dwarf clan turns out to be...
    The same one that was enslaved by Baeloth the Entertainer. It is rumored that Baeloth might even return...

It's probably not a real surprise to say that in the course of the game many, many, many orcs, goblins, giants and elves die.
    tbone1themazingnessThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Grum : IWD Durlag's Edition
    GrumThacoBell
    Raduziel said:

I won't buy anything until IWDEE gets updated to version 2.x

And I prefer to see a polished IWD2EE than a IWD3. Or even a BG3.

My wish list actually is, in this order:

IWD 2 EE
    Temple of Elemental Evil EE
    Pool of Radiance EE
    Fallout 1 EE
    Fallout 2 EE
    IWD 3
    BG 3

I'd settle for Pool of Radiance on GOG even. I never got to play the game, but I don't want to deal with just buying the old copy either (assuming you mean Myth Drannor and not the Gold Box game which I have and have finished).

That's a good list. I agree that IWD2:EE is a priority assuming they ever find the source code. I personally would put BG3 at the top though.

If they could do it, I'd like to see the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series given the EE treatment and put on PC, but I realize that may not be viable.

I just realized the second game would be ToEE:EE. That's a lot of E's :open_mouth: .
    Grond0RaduzielProont
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @themazingness Yes, the Myth Drannor one. I played it once and enjoyed it more than I expected. Then I played a NWN2 mod also related to PoR and found it amazing.

Speaking about NWN2, there are two mods that definitely deserves a stand alone game: A Hunt Through the Dark and Path of Evil. Way better than the original campaigns.
    themazingness