Skip to content

Skie. Did I miss the memo?

Did everyone else already know that Skie is pronounced 'Skee'? I've been calling her 'Sky' for almost 20 years.

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hehe, no you not alone :D I've read it in my head as something along the lines of "Sky-ie", so as Sky but with a slight "eh" at the end.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    In Baldur's Gate I guess if you say you are going 'skiing' you mean you are heading into town to do a spot of shopping, followed by a mani and pedi and lunch with your girlfriends?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It's not surprising, @Permidion_Stark . In the Russian BG community, she has also been called "Sky" http://wiki.aerie.ru/wiki/Скай.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Her name had been pronounced "skee" even back in the original game. Eldoth had some quotes in which he pronounced her name that way.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

Her name had been pronounced "skee" even back in the original game. Eldoth had some quotes in which he pronounced her name that way.

I never noticed that. I think I only took him into my party once. I'll have to pick him up next time I play through and actually listen to what he is saying this time.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Heh. I had two things to reference this, "blue skies all day, and playing Skeeball", and neither really fit, but finally went with the above plural of sky and just called her that. :* TBH I never knew until SoD. Now that sounds strange after so long.
    English is a weird language with all the darn rules. Even weirder to me as a native English speaker I found Japanese made more sense in college.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    there's a very similar existing name, skye (similar to the fairly common skylar), and i've always thought skie is just a variant of this name. in fact i'm 99.9% sure that there are real people named skie as variant spelling of skye and that they pronounce their name sky. so i just never accepted the 'skee' pronounciation
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Skatan said:

Hehe, no you not alone :D I've read it in my head as something along the lines of "Sky-ie", so as Sky but with a slight "eh" at the end.

Same.

After I met a lady from Finland named *Imoen*, I have the impression that some names in the game come from someone with Scandinavian roots, they would probably also pronounce Skie that way.
    As a Swede, if I were to pronounce Skie in the Swedish tongue I would indeed sound it as "skee-eh". But I too have always pronounced it Sky. 99% of the bg names are pronounced in English in my head.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Strange... I always pronounced Skie's name as following:

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's not "skih?"